Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:48:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 199
Total: 199

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla + Isentress?  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Atripla + Isentress?
« on: February 14, 2010, 12:24:53 am »
Someone just told me they were on Atripla and Isentress.  I've never heard of anyone using both of these, in fact I've never heard of anyone using Atripla in combination with anything else.  Anyone been subscribed these together before?

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
Re: Atripla + Isentress?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 12:33:05 am »
It can happen.  I have read that this combination may be prescribed when the person is not reaching an undetectable level on Atripla alone (or on a treatment naive patient with a particularly high VL).

I'm sure that Inchlingblue or Newt will have better knowledge/details to share with you.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 10:50:07 am »

I'm sure that Inchlingblue or Newt will have better knowledge/details to share with you.

LOL

The reason they aren't usually prescribed is that Sustiva (efavirenz), which is part of Atripla, has been shown to lower the levels of Isentress in the blood.  I have heard of situations, as livebythemoon states, where someone is on Atripla and not becoming undetectable and so they add Isentress. Since the levels of virus we're talking about are quite low at this point, even a lower level of Isentress might be enough to knock it down to undetectable.

Do you know if that's the case with the person you heard about? Because I don't think it would make sense to add Isentress otherwise.

Sometimes Maraviroc is added to Atripla temorarily as a way to get viral load down faster and to raise CD4s, since Maraviroc has been shown to do this.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 02:03:32 pm »
No clue what the reasoning was.  I'm glad to hear about Maraviroc, I'll keep that in mind if my VL is uncooperative down the road.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 03:21:11 pm »
No clue what the reasoning was.  I'm glad to hear about Maraviroc, I'll keep that in mind if my VL is uncooperative down the road.

There is a clinical trial looking to see if Maraviroc raises CD4s on individuals who are on a successful 3-drug regimen and undetectable. For that study, since it's only looking to see if Maraviroc raises CD4s, it's not essential for participants to have R5-tropic virus.

As far as lowering viral load with Maraviroc it would only work if the person has R5-tropic virus so you'd need a trofile assay in order to determine that first.

An effective 3-drug regimen should get you undetectable if there are no underlying resistance issues. Sometimes this can take a while if you start out with a very high viral load. As I'm sure you already know, adherence is key, especially during that period before one is undetectable.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 03:28:37 pm by Inchlingblue »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.