Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:35:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 521
Total: 522

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Holy Frick......AZT?  (Read 4436 times)

Offline FiercenBed

Holy Frick......AZT?
« on: January 31, 2007, 08:40:19 pm »
aaa....apt w/ neurologist today<ob boy nother drs apt> and as usual not necessarily bad just the typical ......"i dont know"news. not going in2 details but my new dr wizard 2 ordered all these test. brain scan....mris...therez 2 more i dont even recall. anyway in the middle of the tests he sez hez taking my 1st mri to another doc and hed be back. oooo great. so of course iv got my ear to the door and he walk in2 the office 10 minutes later and sez to the sec ratray, "get dr  xxx<my doc> on the phone. JESUS FRICKEN CHRIST IV GOTA BRIAN TUMOR.....lol. i laugh because 'iv never gotten good news from a doc.
so anyway i know my docs outa town<in vegas....jeeesh>. so ms Secretary starts looking for my doc and calls his office. im like y waste this womans time? i opened the door and said hez outa town  want his cell phone? she was shocked....lol

any way they talk....w/ my ear against the wall....seriously:) the other doc pops back in and starts rattling of all this stuff. im thinking fuck it took me 6 months to learn about hiv now iv gota learn neurology.

ok ok enough....so my doc calls my cell phone bout hour later. the jest of the story is the neurologist wants to change my meds. dosnt everybody....im not suppressed. i needs to bypass the 'brain blood barrier'. he sez we need to think about azt......AZT....I SHOUTED. they still make that sh&t?

well i dont know if im on board w/ this train. any azt alumnus round here?

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Holy Frick......AZT?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 12:08:27 pm »
Hey Fierce,

I have been on AZT for close to 11 years. It works like a charm for me and does cross the blood/brain barrier.

Can there be side effects? Does the pope wear ugly dresses?

But that doesn't mean there will be side effects. Try to keep that in mind.

I am not trying to second-guess your docs, but one reason crossing the blood/brain barrier is important is HIV can do a number on the brain. It could be there is some issue needing to be addressed.

I would have a heart-to-heart with the doc, or, in this case, the docs, and find out exactly what is going on.

Don't be afrraid of AZT. I hear many people talk about the "what ifs." They are so worried about what may happen a decade from now, they overlook the gorilla in the living room.

Talk with your docs. Find out what is going on and why the AZT discussion came up in the first place.

Let me know how things turn out , if you would.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 12:11:04 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline FiercenBed

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 12:39:36 pm »
thanx for the reply aztcam! i was starting to believe there was no one out there on azt. yea ur right a new doc <nurologist> has dump a whole new list of problems on me along w/ a battery of test.

itz bn a rough nine months and cuurent meds aint working. lost 30 lbs over a year and still kinds thin so the azt 'thining' thing scares me! but it seems like therez a price to pay for anything that comes outa the bottle. ur pic gives me some confidence.....thanx!

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 01:36:13 pm »
Doesn't Sustiva and Truvada cross the blood brain barrier also?  I would think those would be better alternatives to AZT considering the side effects.
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline FiercenBed

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 03:10:50 pm »
dont u think?....iv bn kinda wanting to stay away from the stustiva due to the nurotic side effects. but i think ill swallow the sustiva b4 the azt!

Offline bimazek

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 02:03:35 am »
      FiercenBed please tell us what your numbers are like, how long have  u been poz, how long on meds, on what meds, how long ago were you hiv exposed, did you do poppers in past or long ago, smoke?

good luck, they have lots of new good treatments now so hang in there

Offline FiercenBed

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 02:42:08 pm »
current vl 2,500 cd 410. diag 6/06 cd4 104 vl 256k. they say poz 10 years, but find that hard to believe. yea i smoke and poppers now and then. dont tell me poppers r the cause of my medical woes....lol. i think im gonna drop the kaletra & truvada instead of adding the sustiva and just go for the atripla. @ least that should make the doctors happy.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 02:54:33 pm »
bimazek, you REPEATEDLY bring up popper use on this board but NEVER provide any medical research to support your paranoia.  You've been asked repeatedly but you always chose to ignore it.  Is it too much to ask that you either provide the research for further discussion?  Otherwise you're just repeatedly spreading erroneous, outdated information.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline FiercenBed

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 03:34:27 pm »
thanx philly......with all the other vices iv had to give up it sounded odd that poppers would cause doom and gloom. of all the questions iv bn asked by drs..... do u do poppers has not bn 1 of them.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 03:57:51 pm »
Well, like anything I wouldn't advise sitting around the house sniffing endless streams of little brown bottles hours on hours on hours, but I highly doubt many people do that.

Now, there WAS a poppers scare in the early days of HIV, and there are the supreme AIDS denialists folks like Duesberg who latched on to this as some sort of key ingredient.  I just find it preposterous.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.