Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:33:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 373
Total: 373

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Boyfriend kept his diagnosis from me for a year and a half  (Read 7346 times)

Offline wdwgfh

Boyfriend kept his diagnosis from me for a year and a half
« on: January 10, 2019, 06:45:08 pm »
Hey everyone. I’m new here and have never really posted on a forum of any kind before, but here goes.

Found out last week that my boyfriend of a year and a half has been HIV positive this whole time. He only came clean after I found his medicine in my room and confronted him about it. I was angry at first but understand how hard it must have been for him to tell me. He said that because his levels are undetectable that there was never any danger of me becoming infected but is this enough of an excuse?

I don’t want to offend anyone but I never thought I would date someone with HIV. Now after a lot of research I’m starting to understand more about it. My feelings towards him haven’t changed and I won’t let this get between us.

My main problem and something I can’t seem to get over is the worry of him dying young. Or younger than he would have done without being pos. Is this irrational? I have read so much  about how good meds are nowadays but how truthful is this?

None of us can see into the future and hell I might get hit by a bus next week. Should I just forget this and try and enjoy our life together? I just feel so bad for him and it must be so scary dealing with being pos. I tested last week and am negative by the way.

Again, sorry to offend anyone here. Still trying to get my head around this.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Boyfriend kept his diagnosis from me for a year and a half
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 06:54:46 pm »
Hiya

Look ill be honest I would be slightly pissed off if someone I was dating kept a medical condition from me regardless of what it was, relationships are about trust and partnership.

That said its a manageable private medical condition that does not effect you, I can appreciate why he may have decided to keep it to himself or maybe its simply not a big deal enough for him to feel the need to mention it. 

Treated HIV is no life changer anymore, i forget I'm living with HIV most days and I logged onto this site daily answering posts ;D

My main problem and something I can’t seem to get over is the worry of him dying young. Or younger than he would have done without being pos. Is this irrational? I have read so much  about how good meds are nowadays but how truthful is this?

HIV is very manageable, its very possible that with the additional care he gets from having blood-work etc frequently done he could simply outlive you.

None of us can see into the future and hell I might get hit by a bus next week. Should I just forget this and try and enjoy our life together?

True and I suppose so.

Jim

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline wdwgfh

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 03:20:11 am »
Thanks for your response.

Hiya

Look ill be honest I would be slightly pissed off if someone I was dating kept a medical condition from me regardless of what it was, relationships are about trust and partnership.

That said its a manageable private medical condition that does not effect you, I can appreciate why he may have decided to keep it to himself or maybe its simply not a big deal enough for him to feel the need to mention it. 

So you think it’s okay for me to get mad? I don’t get angry much and I’m not a very confrontational person. He said that he always wanted to tell me but as time went on it just got harder and harder. You’re right he should have told me but it just came as such a shock that I didn’t know how to react really.

I’ve always tried to be responsible so got tested myself soon after we started dating. He told me he took a test too but it was negative. Is it true that if HIV is undetectable because of meds then it comes up negative on a test? Or was he lying about that too?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 04:22:37 am »
Hiya,

Question, have you spoken to him about how you are feeling? You are still in the relationship right? Have you asked him these questions?

So you think it’s okay for me to get mad?

You feel how you feel, there is no right or wrong about it.

I can appreciate somewhat how you feel, for me my relationship is about trust and partnership. If it was my partner and, she had kept a medical condition from for 18 months regardless of what it was I would be slightly pissed off when hearing about it. Not because I have any rights to know, because I don't! Or because she's required to tell me, as she is not!.

I would be disappointment from a relationship point of view if she did not tell me, I'd like to think she trusts me, can tell me anything and rely on me for whatever level of support she wants.  Although I would quickly get over it after the initial sock if she had kept a medical condition a secrete, end of the day its her business, not mine. 

I’ve always tried to be responsible so got tested myself soon after we started dating. He told me he took a test too but it was negative. Is it true that if HIV is undetectable because of meds then it comes up negative on a test? Or was he lying about that too?

I don't know if he was lying ...

I will give you some information in brief though.

People living with HIV don't get HIV screening tests, there is no point as the result simply would be reactive (positive) for life.  See once someone is HIV positive the body will continue to produce antibodies no matter how well treated the condition, no drugs will change this and a HIV positive person with treatment will still test reactive (Positive) on a standard antibodies HIV screening test for life.  You can read back this thread on the topic: https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=70708.msg

We do get viral load monitoring to understand how well the treatment is working.
 The goal of the treatment is to suppress the virus, this result if the virus is suppressed well by the medication could come back not detected or undetectable as example depending on the terminology used on the lab report . This does not mean "HIV Negative" it merely means that the medication is suppressing the virus in the blood to levels below the measuring threshold of the test used.  So it could well be he was referring to the viral load results (RNA PCR or DNA test) as negative if the copies of the virus are suppressed to undetectable or not detected levels.  You would need to ask him what he meant at the time. 

Look if you have a look at the "Lessons" under the section Living with HIV and HIV Treatment it will give you plenty of easy to digest information should you be looking for info on HIV  https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics

Jim
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 05:33:19 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.