Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:46:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 330
Total: 330

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Secretary of State (Susan Rice or John Kerry)  (Read 4411 times)

Offline mikeyb39

Secretary of State (Susan Rice or John Kerry)
« on: December 02, 2012, 09:36:57 am »
Im a die hard democrat and i'm sure Susan Rice would be a qualified choise, but I sure hope the Predident chooses John Kerry.  There is something about Susan Rice that doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

Anyone have any preferences?  Thoughts?
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline mikeyb39

Re: Secretary of State (Susan Rice or John Kerry)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 09:38:53 am »
Sorry, i suppose this is a question for those of us that live in the USA.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 10:45:28 am »
There is something about Susan Rice that doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

Like what exactly? If one reads her resume it's obvious she was super-duper accomplished before her name became common knowledge.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline darryaz

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 12:55:34 pm »
The main thing that would bother me about John Kerry being nominated is the possibility that horrible Scott Brown would be elected to his Senate seat.  I think that may factor into Obama's decision.

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 01:34:45 pm »
that might be true, but hiriing that prude Susan Rice to Secretary fo State state would counter profductive....sure she has the credential to do it, but she always looks to have a major attitude problem, or shall i say a biatch.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 02:23:38 pm »
They "they" are aways saying she has a sharp tongue and is abrasive.  Do "they" really know?  Not sure.  Is that just want many always say about women and especially black women?  Condelslezza was very difficult and abrasive.

You want a strong diplomat, but a charming one as well.  Hillary definitely had the same reputation, and she is loved in that job. 
John wanted the job back in 2008.  I do worry a little about his senate seat.  But, if he doesn't get state, I would think he'd be offered defense.  Republicans really seem to want John to leave his senate seat.  While trashing Rice, they've been praising him.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 02:27:48 pm »
that might be true, but hiriing that prude Susan Rice to Secretary fo State state would counter profductive....sure she has the credential to do it, but she always looks to have a major attitude problem, or shall i say a biatch.

Let's me get this straight. You admit she has the credentials, but without any evidence you "think" she's a prude and a bitch and that should disqualify her. What a ridiculous, narrow-minded assessment.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 02:49:57 pm »
I saw her interview on Meet the Press, the one that has caused all this supposed "controversy."  I found her to be poised and admirable. 

Other than that interview I know very little about her.  I find it absurd that she is being blocked for that interview.

I think it makes John McCain look like a fool.  I like John McCain too.  I admire his service and think he has been an asset to his party (I'm not a republican but I still like him).   This "controversy" of his makes him look petty.

John Kerry is another admirable man.  I like him for Sec of Defense.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline darryaz

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 03:06:17 pm »

I believe Democrats had a similar argument against nominating John Bolton as UN Ambassador in 2005 (well, I don't actually remember anyone calling him a "bitch").

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 03:23:51 pm »
I use to like John McCain several years ago, but he's become a very sore loser.  He tried blocking the repeal of DADT.  After saying he would listen to the military leaders on it, he didn't.  And, he gave us Sarah.  As an older man with health problems, he put her a heartbeat away.  I lost what respect I had for him.  He supported the first Rice, after she made statements about Iraq that she knew was wrong, but he started a witch hunt for the current Rice, when she WAS going on what the intelligence community gave her.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 04:38:42 pm »
^ditto.
McCain has turned into a bitter old man.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 05:28:58 pm »
Im a die hard democrat and i'm sure Susan Rice would be a qualified choise, but I sure hope the Predident chooses John Kerry.  There is something about Susan Rice that doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

Anyone have any preferences?  Thoughts?

Either one is fine with me. The catch with Kerry is that he's a Mass Senator. So were he to accept the post, and then he resigns as Senator, there would be an election in Mass.  And do we want another Republican Senator? No! 

Many suspect this is why the Washington DC Republicans are against Rice.  They want Kerry, and thus a chance to get all excited about an election and perhaps another Senator.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 05:32:18 pm »

Really Mikey, you are coming off rather strangely in some of these threads.  Rice a "bitch"?  That's a low cheap shot.  Condi Rice was sort of abrasive also.  I wouldnt have called her a bitch.  Let's see, fiercely intelligent. High achievements. Black. Woman.  Do you really think "bitch" is the word you want to go for? 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline darryaz

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 05:42:52 pm »
I have no idea how accurate or valid this is but thought I would throw it in to keep this thread interesting.

"Susan Rice, the candidate believed to be favored by President Obama to become the next Secretary of State, holds significant investments in more than a dozen Canadian oil companies and banks that would stand to benefit from expansion of the North American tar sands industry and construction of the proposed $7 billion Keystone XL pipeline," OnEarth Magazine reports. "If confirmed by the Senate, one of Rice’s first duties likely would be consideration, and potentially approval, of the controversial mega-project."

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 08:23:42 am »
^ditto.
McCain has turned into a bitter old man.

A bitter cuckoo  old man... before that he was a bitter, cuckoo somewhat younger man. Just sayin'...

And a president should have the right to choose whomever he wants for Secretary of State. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 09:25:02 am »
Prior to 2008 I had as good of a personal respect for McCain as a lefty progressive could muster but his choices and actions in that election changed what little bit of grudging respect I had for him . The astoundingly bad decisions he made during that campaign and his refusal deal with them honestly reminds me of the story the emperor has no clothes .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 11:36:52 am »
A bitter cuckoo  old man... before that he was a bitter, cuckoo somewhat younger man. Just sayin'...
so Andy, I guess you really never liked the guy? ;D

Prior to 2008 I had as good of a personal respect for McCain as a lefty progressive could muster but his choices and actions in that election changed what little bit of grudging respect I had for him . The astoundingly bad decisions he made during that campaign and his refusal deal with them honestly reminds me of the story the emperor has no clothes .

as a lefty myself, it has always been difficult to muster support for almost anyone on the right. it just seems he has gotten even more angry and bitter with age.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 03:52:10 pm »
Actually, he's always been a mean, bitter person. He's only gotten older. The DC establishment press always did a good job showing only the friendly McCain face prior to 2008, I suppose out of deference to what he went through in Vietnam. Remember, his nickname in high school was "McNasty" so it's not like any of this is new. He was always known for his hotheaded temper among other Republicans, which is why he didn't have establishment support in 2000. But my favorite story about McNasty is the report of him calling his wife a "cunt" back in 1992. In John's defense this may have been during Cindy's pill popping days, when she'd steal them from charity organizations. Personally I bet Cindy was a LOT of fun back then.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 03:54:58 pm »
Yes, and someday when passes on the Repubs will have a field day eulogizing him as "a great American patriot." 

Ugh. 
Andy Velez

Offline mitch777

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 04:01:18 pm »
Yes, and someday when passes on the Repubs will have a field day eulogizing him as "a great American patriot."   

of course, and those same repubs would love to see Reagan added to Mt. Rushmore. ;)

Offline mecch

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 05:15:13 pm »
Well what was so great about Teddy Roosevelt?

Quote:
On the more idealistic side, Teddy Roosevelt is a powerful figure in American myth. Borglum saw the carving in Rushmore as a memorial to the United States' Manifest Destiny, and Theodore Roosevelt--hero of the Spanish-American War, builder of the Panama Canal, explorer, rancher, naturalist, conservator, and athlete--certainly embodied all the good qualities we associate with those who "tamed the West." It is also important to realize that when Borglum was beginning his work, Roosevelt had only been out of office for seventeen years, and had been dead less than ten. Imagine, for comparison, someone in the early '70's writing a list of "Great Presidents" and not including John F. Kennedy--it would seem bizarre.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2040/why-is-teddy-roosevelt-commemorated-on-mt-rushmore

Well if its about Manifest Destiny, why not Star Wars Reagan winner of the Cold War.
Bush Jr., too.  That was ALL ABOUT manifest destiny.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.