Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:22:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 185
Total: 185

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: In A Dark Place Here  (Read 24896 times)

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
Re: In A Dark Place Here
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2007, 12:06:02 am »
Tuesday will be a BIG day.  Speaking with a case manager for the first time ever, and also finding out if I got my job or not!

Holding my breath!
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

Re: In A Dark Place Here - DAMMIT ALL!!
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2007, 12:27:45 am »
I didn't get the Realty job, but something tells me I was neck-in-neck with the person who did.  This has happened three times this summer where I have been "runner up."   I received a voice mail from the husband who interviewed me last week.  He said if I needed anything, had any questions, I could call.  Well, I am going to call tomorrow and ask that he pass my resume on to anyone who may be looking for an Office manager, since he and his wife were so impressed with me.  I need to network any way i can now, get my name out there, and get a job.

I met face-to-face with my case manager today.  All I get is coverage for a $20 copay to my ID doc and they also told me about a great therapist who deals with people with HIV.  Its nice to know I can go to a therapist who will understand more about me.

I don't get any housing assistance becasue I have a mortgage.  Its only for people who pay rent.  Well shit on that.  I am not the same person I was 14 years ago when I got that mortgage.  I am widowed and unemployed, dammit.  Can't a girl catch a break?  Its a Catch-22.  Gheez.......

~Cindy

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2007, 12:53:06 am »
Have you considered renting?  Yeah... I know you've plunked all that money into the place but it seems there might be some way around this. (not sure what really... just throwing it out there).
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2007, 12:56:39 am »
I take pride in never having paid rent in my entire LIFE.  My parents asked me to pay them rent when I was 23, and I refused.  Instead, I moved out and sank the money into a house.  I am thinking about renting TO a roommate.  I have a basement that I have rented before. 

I am going to a Pos support group tomorrow, so maybe I can network there and see if anyone needs some space to rent.

~Cindy

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2007, 01:12:56 am »
I have no issues with rent.

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2007, 01:21:11 am »
Well, I sure as hell do.  Its not for me.  I'm not going to take a 6-figure equity and put it towards rent, esp when i can't even sell my place in this market.

Sorry, just venting.  I'm not at the end of my rope yet, when I get a job there will be blue skies again, I'm sure of it.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2007, 07:22:04 am »
I take pride in never having paid rent in my entire LIFE. ~Cindy

This is not a personal attack, Cin, but some of us have no choice but to pay rent.  I could not afford to buy a house now, nor could I ever.  I'm glad you were able to do that, though, but I take pride in the fact that I can keep afloat when so many people are losing their ass.  Just sayin'
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2007, 08:00:58 am »
I take pride in never having paid rent in my entire LIFE.  My parents asked me to pay them rent when I was 23, and I refused.  Instead, I moved out and sank the money into a house.

It's good to know that you're such a go getter then Cind. Rather than having to stoop to renting you'll be able to march right out there and sink your money into a new house.

Just like when you were 23.

MtD
(Who has always rented)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2007, 09:59:36 am »
Well, I sure as hell do.  Its not for me. 

Honey... try buying property in NYC where I lived for 15 years and get back to me.

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2007, 12:32:28 pm »
I knew at an early age how hard it was to get money, to earn a living.  I have always been a numbers girl, a financial planner of sorts, very tight where money is concerned, so as not to waste it.  Thats why I refused to pay my parents rent and watch my money go down the drain 14 years ago.  Little did I know at the time what the future would hold for me.  It was a year later that I was in my new house when I tested pos. 

I understand that most of us prob pay rent.  I am grateful I have such an asset to fall back on, should the need arise.  My dream is to sell this home, take the equity, move further away from DC where homes are cheaper, and sink the equity into a new home.  Thus, a smaller mortgage to pay, and an easier way of life day to day where bills are concerned.  Yes, I am a PLANNER, I always have been.

And Philly, you sound a little miffed, sarcastic, but to answer your reply, I know better than to try and buy property in NYC.  I wouldn't try to do something like that, I couldn't.  It would waste all of my money in a place that I wouldn't even be comfortable in.  Besdies, I don't like cities, I want solitude, peace and quiet, mountains if possible, almost had it with the doofus I dated for 2-1/2 years.   I have been in Maryland my entire life, and this is the lifestyle I am used to, so I deal accordingly with the cost of living.

I'll have my dream, I'll have a single family home and a good job.  Just have to keep on looking for that job. 

Back to the Health Dept today to fill out more paperwork.  For what?  Sigh....

~Cindy

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2007, 12:48:40 pm »
Miffed?  No,  not really.  I contemplated purchasing a condo in '96 a full 3 years after being diagnosed with AIDS.  I earned a very good income and could have done it, plus my parents were willing to cough up the down payment for me (though the did not know of my health situation and I would have found it a bit unfair to not say anything).  Recall at the time this was pre-protease inhibitors so I really didn't expect to live to see the year 2000.  It may have not been a wise move in hindsight.

Alas, I have friends who plunked down $300,000 on a brownstone in Brooklyn and 10 years later it's not valued at $2 million.  Yep... it's actually a wise place to make an investment baby.  I could have been sitting VERY pretty and now be retired in the mountains of Puerto Rico.

So if I'm miffed then well yeah... think of all the foreskin I missed out on.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2007, 12:43:31 am »
I am grateful I have such an asset to fall back on, should the need arise.  My dream is to sell this home, take the equity, move further away from DC where homes are cheaper,

Smart cookie for planning ahead at that young age! Later in life you'll have more aces in your hand, or at least a few kings

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2007, 12:49:11 am »
Smart cookie for planning ahead at that young age! Later in life you'll have more aces in your hand, or at least a few kings

TY for saying so, I am working on a "King" right now, first pos guy I have ever dated.  meeting some of his family tomorrow, and won't think about the job situation until Monday.  I need a break!  I went to the local support group here tonight and met some nice people, also have a nutrition appt for later in the month, and a referral to an HIV therapist.  So, I am getting something from my case worker and Health Dept., just not what I expected, its still good, tho.

~Cindy
(who is holding about 3 aces now, waiting for the 4th, lol)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2007, 12:57:42 am »
Little did I know at the time what the future would hold for me.  It was a year later that I was in my new house when I tested pos. 

My late partner and I tested pos just after we signed into a land contract deal. I was able to keep it for nearly 14 yrs before having to leave this past Dec. I'm glad to hear that you're doing ok with your housing.  ;)

:( Sad to hear about the job though. I know you were really hoping that it would pan out. But don't lose heart. Keep sending out those resumes. The more you put out the better the odds you'll get something!  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

Re: In A Dark Place Here - But Trying...
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2007, 11:59:45 am »
I called the SSA today about getting help with utilities.  I qualify under Ryan White and prob another program because of my low income (on unemployment).  So, tomorrow I will attemp to rise and shine and get to the office by 8am, so I don't have a long wait.  I need to get all of my bills in order.

~Cindy

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
Re: In A Dark Place Here - But Trying...
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2007, 01:19:48 pm »
I called the SSA today about getting help with utilities.  I qualify under Ryan White and prob another program because of my low income (on unemployment).  So, tomorrow I will attemp to rise and shine and get to the office by 8am, so I don't have a long wait.  I need to get all of my bills in order.

Sometimes it pays to be poor, huh? LOL Hope all that goes well for you. Do try to go early, if you need to provide any more info to them, you'll have the rest of the day to get things straightened. Plus by getting there early you beat out all the deadbeats who don't get up until noon.  ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

Re: Was In A Dark Place Here, Doing Better
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2007, 12:23:22 am »
Hi ~

Just an update to say that Social Services couldn't do a damn thing for me because none of my bills were overdue, and I pay a mortgage, not rent.  What a waste of time that was!

On a brighter note, I am really, really trying to get my resumes out and network.  I have three interviews coming up in the next few days, and it appears that I may actually have some choices as far as a job goes! 

Damn good thing, unemployment runs out in 8 weeks!   ;D  Not like I've been living a glamorous life this summer, anyway, lol!

~Cindy

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2007, 12:28:59 am »
Hey Cindy,

Have you contacted Catholic Charities?  They cover utility bills for people who for one reason or another do need help.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2007, 12:30:11 am »
TY, Michael, I may have to do that in the next few weeks if I don't land a job!

What's in the stars for me this week?  LOL  ;)  (I love that stuff....)

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2007, 03:53:02 am »
I'm glad you are trying to come out of that dark place....I was gonna have to be like the movie Poltergeist and scream..."Get your ass into the light, Cindy.".....LMAO......I think it is great that you own your home. My Mom was paying mortgage on the house I grew up in when I was young and til this day I don't know if it is paid off. I would assume so since my Mom is in her 70's. I think her main gripe is property tax. It would be a dream for me to have my own home but realizes that even I am doing better than some of the hood rats around here... ;)

It is sad but even charity has rules when it comes to getting help from agencies. It seems like if you are doing half way decent they can't help you but if you didn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of, they are right there. Or chooses to help those who wants the agency to pay their rent for one month so they can have some extra money to go to the local watering hole. ???
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 03:54:48 am by Queen Akasha »
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2007, 05:28:53 pm »
TY, Michael, I may have to do that in the next few weeks if I don't land a job!

What's in the stars for me this week?  LOL  ;)  (I love that stuff....)

Last night, when we were writing this... Venus trine Mercury, these two planets compliment each other.  Today, there are no exact planetary aspects listed but Uranus and Neptune are in Retrograde.  Cindy, you have some interviews coming up soon, what are the dates of these and do you have a patron Goddess?  Have the best day
Michael

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2007, 11:45:11 pm »
Hi Michael~

I had an interview with a recruiter today at 2pm, not a "real" interview, but a lead to something, I hope!  I have an interview Friday at 1pm, Maryland time.  I am going to be scheduling two more for next week as well.  Explain what you mean by patron Goddess.....?  Thanks!

Offline komnaes

« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2007, 06:54:08 am »
Best of Luck!
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2007, 07:01:31 am »
Good luck Cind!  :-*
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2007, 08:46:17 am »
I've got my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for you Cindy. ;) Just remember: every interview you go on and every application you put in gets you closer to landing a job. Since you've been trying for a while, it means that job opportunity is getting closer every day! Let's hope TODAY is the day!  ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2007, 04:51:53 am »
Hi Cindy,

Patron Goddess, that was a dumb question.  I remember you saying Cynthia, Goddess of the Moon.  The moon is your patron Goddess.  I did just check the almanac for !:PM today and there was not much there.  At 6:53 AM the Moon was square Mercury and that would be unfavorable but it would have changed in about 4 hours and nothing was listed until after % 30 PM. 

Good thing this is a grain of salt and a little fun.  Some people do Crossword, others collect string  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I don't know if you thought about this but Personnel Agencies have a high turnover for Outside Sales Reps.  They usually start out with a Salary Guarantee and work up to a commission basis in about 90 days.  They always have benefits for staff and the best part..... Drum Roll Please.....  Most personnel agencies prefer to hire blond women for outside sales.  The client gets a vision of a talented, friendly, qualified woman (just as the rep for XYZ Agency) and envisions a member of his staff being just like her.

This may help too. When being interviewed through an agency, the chosen employee from all candidates who gets hired is usually, one of the last three seen in that day.  Interviewing is an exhausting task and after a long day, the most easily remembered is the last three.  I have worked in three agencies in L.A., of different sizes and all competing for each others business.  Any way, even though the almanac said today was not a good day, I had one and hope you did too.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

Re: In A Dark Place Here - JOB ADVICE ASAP!
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2007, 07:31:17 am »
Michael~  TY for the star advice!  I didn't like dealing with the recruiter, they barely spent any time interviewing ME, just sat me in a room with paperwork.  I had to strike up conversation again before I left in order to get more info out of the recruiter for the position they wanted to place me in. 

So, I haven't thought very highly of recruiters this summer.  They are great on the phone, but usually full of crap once you get in their door (no offense, Michael, but many are fresh out of college and don't know the area, aren't resourceful, etc....).  I met with three in person, but have spoken to a total of eight since May.

Here is my current dilemma.

I have to ask the opinion of you guys here on something, cause I feel like I'm cheating, but as far as I can remember, I'm not "bound legally."

Most of you know that I have been unemployed for five months. This employer I met with yesterday wanted to bring me in immediately.  He has had ads in the paper for months, and chances are, I have applied, but my resume got lost in the stack.  There were a few hundred resumes received, he said, and one admin assistant at the company has been known to "throw out" resumes because of her own insecurity over losing her job.  (Shouldn't she be fired by now anyway?  Maybe they can't prove she actually did this, its merely speculation....)

So, a recruiter sent me to this company.  But I really think I applied online before and they just haven't found my resume, like I said.  If I go through the recruiter, I'll be making 25% less during 3 months on the recruiter's payroll, and then I'll have an additional 3 months on the employer's payroll before I am eligible for his benefits.  I don't need the health coverage right away, as I have COBRA and MADAP.  I COULD wait for the benefits for 6 months, but I am anxious to get the dollars in my pocket and pay off credit card debt that I have lived off of this summer.  (Its a zero percent, so I have time, but I need to start making bigger payments.).  Especially since the holidays are coming.

See my avatar slogan?  Keep that phrase in mind now.............

So, I really don't think I signed a contract with the recruiter, I can't really remember, I just did payroll paperwork in case I was placed somewhere.  Don't get this wrong, the employer has the means to pay the overhead to the recruiter, he has the means to pay the finder's fee, which isn't small.   He said he would have no problem doing this.  He is just showing concern for me, wanting me to get paid what I'm worth from the get-go.  Or he could be full of crap, but either way, its more money in my pocket if I let him hire me direct.  He has used many recruiters this summer and hasn't found quality people.

So what do I do?  Post early as I meet with him again today!  I spoke with my father, and we are thinking that this entire thing is an "Honor System" of sorts.  I don't like to break the rules, but is bending them so bad when its my livelihood at stake?

Struggling with my conscience.........

~Cindy
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 08:46:14 am by MOONLIGHT1114 »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2007, 10:03:11 am »
Cindy,

I completely understand your issues with recruiters.  More than once I have been interviews set up by recruiters that I was faced with bald faced lies about my qualifications told by the recruiter to the potential employer.

As for your current question - I say screw the recruiter.  As long as you didn't sign a contract you are under no legal obligation.  Put it this way - Do you think the recruiter would think twice about his allegiance to you if he could place someone else in the job at a higher rate of pay than you (and thereby a higher commission?)

So as far as ethical quandary - I say flush it as far as it being a worry.

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2007, 10:37:44 am »
That's what I needed to hear, Iggy, so TY.  I really don't think I have "blindy" signed any paperwork that would obligate me to the recruiter.  They don't work for us employees, they work for the employer/  This potential emp hasn't signed anything, so I'm going to start flushing.

One funny concern is if I end up answering phones there and the recruiter calls to say they have a candidate (for the position which I have taken).  I can say the emp and I made a deal for me to work PT to help him while he and I are both looking for better fits. I'm thinking this is worst-case scenario.  I just need to have the emp call them and say he's going with another recruiter, or he's found someone (yikes! this may seem a bit suspiscious as to the timing), or whatever.

I have always been one to play by the rules, but you're right, to that recruiter I am a resume.  I was really turned off at how fake they were on the phone (I see right through that crap).  The only reason I went to this office is because it wasn't too far down the road from me.  Also, if I DID inadvertently sign a contract, I don't think they are going to stop in their tracks to sue me.  They have more important things to do, like trying to get finder's fees from big clients.

Recruiters are a dime a dozen, no offense to anyone, but its all just sales, and who you know.

~Cindy
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 10:49:41 am by MOONLIGHT1114 »

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2007, 04:57:58 pm »
So, a recruiter sent me to this company.  But I really think I applied online before and they just haven't found my resume, like I said.  If I go through the recruiter, I'll be making 25% less during 3 months on the recruiter's payroll, and then I'll have an additional 3 months on the employer's payroll before I am eligible for his benefits.  I don't need the health coverage right away, as I have COBRA and MADAP. 
See my avatar slogan?  Keep that phrase in mind now.............

Hey Cindy,

The client company (the actual job site) is not the employer in temp and temp to perm work.  The Agency is the employer and pays all payroll taxes and disability insurance (both state and federal).  The amount of money comiing out of your paycheck is exactly the same as it would be if you were a direct hire from the newspaper or internet site such as Monster.com.  The client company is charged a mark-up percentage by the employment agency.  That contract rate is of no concern to the employee because the contract rate negotiated between the client company and the agency is paid by the client company (job site) in addition to your hourly rate.

So if you were applying for a job which pays  $15.00 per hour, you would be paid $15.00 per hour.   The client company (job site) would pay to the agency that $15.00 per hour PLUS the contracted percentage mark-up, which was never the money coming from you (the employee).  Now, if you were a direct hire for that $15.00 per hour job, you would still get the same $15.00 and the employer would still pay FICA, SUTA, FUTA and workers' compensation insurance.

The average person working through an employment agency would fall under those guidelines.  Thios would be for clerical, assembly, regular jobs that most people could qualify for.  Now, if you were top management ie: Senior Vice President, Vice President, or Executive Vice President, CEO, CFO, etc., etc., you would be working through a head hunter organization who negotiates, salary, mis, expense accounts, company car, annual bonus, housing, moving expenses and they would perform a very through background check.  They will see if the applicant actually worked at the jobs stated on resume, at the exact times stated, for the salary claimed, run a series of drug and other tests and in these cases.  The potential employee will pay an upfront fee for placement services.

A client company (job site) uses personnel agencies mostly because they can have the agency terminate a newly hired employee who does not work out. The personnel agency provides skilled workers who have passed testing and appear to have done a good job in the past.  The personnel agency is the employer, pays all fees and can replace the newly hired within minutes if the newly hired does not work out.  The client company (job site) also saves money in HR by noy collecting resumes, interviewing as many potential employees and most importantly does not pay workers' compensation insurance on temps or temp to hire.

So my dear, you want a job and are signed up with a personnel agency.  All you have left to do is be ready for interviews, show up (on time) properly dressed w/fresh copy of resume in hand.  If that personnel agency rep (fresh out of college) believes you may not represent their employer in the proper manner or embarrass the firm, there will not be any interviews.  Personnel agencies are very competitive and are constantly going after each others clients.  Most agencies begin negotiations at a 60% mark-up on the hourly rate and most will go down to below 20% just to steal the client company (job site).  One of my previous employers hoped we (those reps fresh out of college) would go to our competitors garbage at night to find files in trash.

A personnel agency may open their doors to the public at 9:00 AM, but there is always someone there at 7:00 AM to answer phones, in case they need to fill an order for that morning.  No shows happen frequently.  The people most often hired is the person who is up, out of bed, dressed, wide awake at 7:00 AM and on that phone to that agency every day (Monday through Friday) to ask if there is any work for yourself that day.  It is also advisable to list with multiple agencies as most temps are.  A man who owned 9 companies once offered me a loan of $250,000.00 to open a personnel agency and staff his own companies.  I chose another opportunity which included Vice Presidency, management incentives, a company owned Porche, use of a 35` or 50` yacht, and a Los Angeles beach house.  I had HIV at the time.  I knowv my stuff.  Good luck and... Have the best day  ;D
Michael

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2007, 07:11:08 pm »
Hi Michael~

I appreciate the lengthy post, but everything you've stated, I already know.  I guess what it comes down to is this:

1)  If I agree to be directly hired by the client company I can earn a salary of say $50,000 a year and be eligible for benefits after 90 days, according to the client's policies.

2)  If I go through the recruiter, yes, I would start out as a temp on their payroll, probably earning no more than $30,000 with no benefits.  Don't even tell me about benefits that recruiters offer.  The health insurance is a joke!  TY MADAP!

Furthermore, if I go through the recruiter for 90 days, and THEN go perm with the client company, I have an additional 90 days to wait for company benefits, thus making it a 6-month wait for benefits, plus the initial first 90 days (temping) at a lower rate.

Everyone I have IMed or talked to says to pass the recruiter by.  Even a very good friend who used to be a recruiter herself.  Time is money, and its been a long summer (fall now!) already.  I am technically NOT an employee of the recruiter's so I may do as I wish.  I haven't signed a contract with them, they most certainly aren't working for me, they are working for the client.

The client and I just want to help each other out some to achieve our goals for the workplace. 

I sound a lot more sure of myself than I did this morning!  ;)  Conscience is clearing......

~Cindy

Offline David_CA

« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2007, 08:14:10 pm »
Cindy,

Go for the job directly.  For most of us, benefits can make or break a job.  If you're offered good insurance plus a good salary, that should help clear that conscience right up!   ;)

David

edited after reading the posts below... I was assuming that you had not signed any sort of agreement.  At least that's the impression I got.  If you have signed a 'contract' with the agency, you really should stick to it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 08:54:08 pm by David_NC »
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2007, 08:25:33 pm »
Cindy

You've solicited all sorts of input on an issue that shouldn't require input at all.

You either signed a contract or you didn't. Yesterday, you really didn't think you signed a contract, today, you write that you didn't.

There shouldn't be such machinations over conscience issues. It's very clear cut. If you're uncertain as to whether or not you signed a contract, call the recruiter, he or she will be able to tell you.

Bottomline, to use a bookkeeping term, the way you've told all of us the story, whether you think recruiters are a dime a dozen, full of crap, not worth their salt, or whatever...this particular recruiter lined you up with the interview--the very interview that appears to be resulting in a position. And, that is precisely why you are having rapidly waning conscience agita.

If you did sign a contract and your new boss agrees to cover for you if the personnel agency rep should call, then I'd say you've found the perfect employer for you.

How would you feel if you were the recruiter or the owner of the personnel agency?

Since you solicited advice in both In A Dark Place and Dating, I'll copy my response accordingly.

Em
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 08:31:05 pm by emeraldize »

Offline Basquo

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2007, 08:46:11 pm »
I agree with Em, you need to be absultely sure you don't have some sort of contract with them.  The forms you filled out, were they just standard government forms? Did you get copies?  If they gave you a whole bunch of forms to fill out, you have to be sure that one of them didn't have any "I Agree" or "I Understand" verbage at the bottom where you signed.

You said, "I really think I applied online before and they just haven't found my resume," but can you back that up if you get called on it?

I really don't know you, but you are pretty sweet online and I'd hate for this to come back around and bite you on the butt!

Best,
Creighton

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2007, 10:48:40 pm »
Hi All~

I most definitely didn't sign a contract.  There was a ton of paperwork that took about an hour to complete, and I thought perhaps I may have signed a form that could be used as such against me.  I just filled out payroll forms, in case I should be placed somewhere temping.

No contract was signed.

~Cindy   :)

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2007, 01:43:07 am »
Cindy,
If you don't qualify for SDI no one does. My God, Diabetes, fibro and HIV plus disc degeneration? Holy moses. Go for it.
Positive since 1985

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2007, 11:30:24 am »
Yep, I will go for it, just waiting for a call back.  The second interview on Thursday ran so long with the owner, that the GM didn't have time to sit down and talk with me a second time.  He said he would call Friday, but I didn't hear back.  He's very busy, but I'll check in with him in a few days if I don't hear anything.

~Cindy

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2007, 03:11:00 pm »
Cindy,

In my experience hiring temporary and contract labor, it is the business that needs the position which has the contract with the recruiter -- not the candidate.  So if your potential employer is fine with hiring you directly, I'd say go for it (which it sound like you've already made your mind to do).

Good Luck!

Cheers,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.