Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:04:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 350
Total: 351

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Your assistance please?  (Read 9363 times)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Your assistance please?
« on: December 04, 2006, 08:33:15 pm »
Hi everyone,

As some of you may know, my daughter is in her second year at university, taking "American Studies". Her third year will be spent at an American University. (for those who don't know, she's now at a uni in England)

She had planned on going to Kent State University, but for some unexplained reason, KSU is no longer on the list of places on offer. (I went to KSU and we still have family in NE Ohio.) I'll list the four from the list she is thinking of going to instead, in the order of what her preference is so far, but I don't know anything about these places so this is where you guys come in. We would appreciate any comments or inside info any of you may have on the different locations. She has to decide by Friday. I'm going to send her a link to this thread, as I will not be around tomorrow until late in the day. (going to Liverpool for a colposcopy, oh joy!) So don't think I've forgotten about this thread if you don't see me responding right away or see me lurking here.

Colorado State University, Fort Collins (Boulder is not on offer)

North Central College, Napaville, IL (my Google spell-check is telling me Naperville?)

University of California, Long Beach

University of Arizona, Tempe

Thanks in advance... ;)
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Re: Your assistance please?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 08:47:52 pm »
Ann,

Sorry, I can't help you, I have not heard of any of those schools but let us know what she decided on.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline ChrisNCoronado

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 08:54:45 pm »
Ann -

Just a typo, I'm sure - but the correct name is Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona.  I thought you'd appreciate the clarification if you are trying to do research about each school online (having the correct, legal name will help)  :)

By the way - I don't have much useful information about ASU at the undergraduate level.  That said, Tempe is a wonderful college centric town adjacent to both Phoenix and Scottsdale.  It's a safe, yet sprawling campus that some 30K plus students call home (yes, you read that number correctly).  If your daughter has specific questions about ASU's liberal arts program(s), I'd be happy to try and connect her with a few friends currently going there (females, of course).  

PM me - and/or email me if you still have the address - and I'll assist in whatever way I can.

Regards,

Chris

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 09:16:12 pm »
Ann - can second everthing Chris said.  Never went ther myself, but my brother, his wife and my niece all went there.  Tempe and even the whole Phoenix area has a lot to offer... and the weather ain't too bad either.  And I think Chris's estimate of how many students go there might be a little low, I thought I read recently that it is the largest public university in the country - somewhere around 50,000 students but that may include other campuses.

Course the University of Arizona in my home town (Tucson) is really the better school...and Tucson is the best place to live in Arizona, the country and probably the world...IMHO of course.   :(

Good luck with the colonoscopy - I gotta get one of those soon myself.
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline DancerBoy

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 10:13:50 pm »
Ann, Long Beach is a great place to live.  It's nice and safe in the downtown area too.
Tight by the ocean. Plenty to do. Fairly inexpensive and the school is wonderful... No matter what the personality type or whgat she's into, she'll in it in the Long Beach/L.A./Orange county area.
-D
Boys are Stupid

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 10:41:30 pm »
Hey Ann, CSU in Fort Collins is a great school! And not mention I love the town! The older homes...such history there. Fort Collins is about an hour north of Denver, so she would be close to the city I just moved from.

And not mention, CSU has a great veternarian school...not sure what she is studying but...give CSU a thought, oh and not to mention, their alumni network is terrific too!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 11:20:54 pm »
Hi Ann & Daughter -

I've consulted with Stuart about the school in Fort Collins since he's a Colorado native.  He says the school is known for natural sciences, agriculture and veterinary sciences.  It's also a lost more down to earth than Boulder, perhaps a tad on the country side ...  a ranching community.  It's a stone throws away from Wyoming and is more affordable than Denver or Boulder.

And (since he was a flight attendant for 10 years) ...  he says community wise, Tempe would be a good alternative to Colorado because it's a decent community, a nice campus  and an overall college town feel.  It's part of Phoenix.  Downsides:  heat, traffic, a car is a must.

Long Beach:  Stuart says the school itself may be attractive as well as some of the surrounding suburbs; however, it's expensive, you'd need a car, there are quite a few sketchy neighborhoods and smog.

Naperville:  Personally I love Chicago and the area.  This would give you the most bang for your buck for the all around American experience.  You'd be within a short train ride from Chicago and Lake Michigan (if you're into water).  Flights between the UK and Chicago are also probably the cheapest of the above choices.  Chicago is awesome for architecture, diversity, culture and opportunity.

PS... no offense to any comments above.  These are just our opinions.   :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 11:23:08 pm by MSPspud »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 12:17:51 am »
Great information guys, just what we're looking for.

Chris, thanks for the clarification and yes, will email you. One of her big worries about Arizona is the heat - she's not used to temperatures outside the upper 60s. 70F is a heatwave as far as she's concerned.

Woody, do you care to elaborate on the heat? And btw, it's a colposcopy, er, that's a colonoscopy on the front bottom. ;) :D

Danny, we've been hearing that Long Beach is very pricey. ???

pozguy, that's interesting about Fort Collins. She's studying "American Studies", which over here is a whole degree in itself. She's taking things like American Lit, American History, and other Yankee subjects LOL... sets her up for media, politics and other things, allegedly. Kids, eh?

Spud, wow, you guys know a lot between you. Naperville sounds like a place she might like. I've encouraged her to create an account here to ask questions herself, I hope she will.

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming. I popped in while waiting for my taxi to the airport - I keep my broom in a hangar down there. ;D

Cheers!
Ann

PS - QA - cheers. Will let you all know for sure!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 12:20:41 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 12:38:21 am »
Hey Ann -

Regarding the heat - what heat?  No really it does get hot here of course.  But for most of the school year it will be pretty nice.  Not uncommon to be 110 or more during the hottest part of the year.  And you never know for sure when the summer will start or how long it will last.  Have seen it hit 100 in early May and as late as October.  Thats why God made swimming pools I guess.

This time of year is great and for me I have lived here so long, even as an olde pharte I still don't mind the heat.  If I was going to choose a school I would put the climate down the list a bit because you can adapt and everywhere is air conditioned.  Phoenix is a fast growing city and I think the metro area is now in the top 10 largest in the country, probably more like 5th or 6th so it has all the problems of a big city like traffic but Tempe and the campus are really nice I think.  My niece lived in a dorm for one semester and she enjoyed her time at ASU so much she is going back for her masters
next semester.

Anyway enough rambling and I am sure there are other people here who know the area better then I do, but feel free to ask me if you have questions  and I'll do my best.

Good luck to you and your daughter - where ever she goes.

Kevin

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 02:39:24 am »
Fort Collins is  nice place.  Of course it's been 30+ years since I was there so I imagine it's changed a lot.  My impresson is that basically the entire front range, from Fort Collins and Longs Peak in the North to Colorado Springs and Pikes Peak to the South, (about 150 miles) (Denver is in-between) has grown incredibly. 

However, if she likes the outdoors, she'll love it.  Rocky Mountain Natl Park is just to the west of Fort Collins.  You can drive up over the Continental Divide (closed in the winter) and come down into Grand Lake, Granby.  Beautiful country.  Great camping, hiking, skiing, biking.  Not sure how big the school is but I know it's smaller than the University of Colorado in Boulder (which is about 50 away.)  Summers can be hot but she can always head west into the mountains.  Also, it can snow on July 4th.

robert

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 06:24:56 am »
if those are your only four choices, I would suggest Arizona.
If your daughter likes out door acitivities, Arizona is the best. Great mountain hiking in Tucson,sedona,and the Grand Canyon. There is also snow sking in Flaggstaff. The weather is perfect except for the 4 summer months.  We go there every March for spring break.
The winters are heaven on earth.
Tempe offers you everything and also have the big city right there. Close to Vegas. California is close also.
If I had a choice I would pick Tucson over Tempe/Phoenix.
Not to generalize, but Illinois is too cold, California traffic will kill you on a daily basis,and Colorado has too many burn outs.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 02:57:11 pm »
Arizona and Colorado are GORGEOUS!  Thats all I got.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 05:17:17 pm »
Hello Ann!

I can't help with uni stuff i'm afraid but I hope the colposcopy goes ok and doesnt show up anything too serious.

Chris
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline alice

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 06:58:32 pm »
Hey everyone, Anns daughter here,

Thank you all so much for your facts and opinions, it's good to hear opininons from actual Americans that have been to these places/ know people that live there. Colorado and Arizona are my top two to date, thanks for reassuring me about the heat!! A year by the pool doesn't sound to bad either :D (only joking mum!). Colorado is also a favourite though, mainly because of the campus set up I think! I would have to loved to have gone up near Chicago but I don't think the college they're  offering there really suits me which is a shame. As for California, that would also be amazing but competition is fierce, there's only two places and everyone wants to go rub shoulders with the stars! I keep reminding myself that there's always going to be time (and hopefully the funds!) to travel, and I'm sure I'll love it where ever I end up, but I'll keep you guys posted and please keep your opinions and advice coming, I'll probably change my mind a number of times in the next two days!!

Offline Just John

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 07:11:33 pm »
everyone wants to go rub shoulders with the stars!

Hi Alice, If that's what you really wanna do; GO GIVE YOUR MUM A HUG :-*

Good luck in your choice, John.
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Offline MSPspud

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 11:21:42 pm »
Hi Alice -  Whatever you pick will be exciting.  Colorado is certainly not a bad choice and is much different than the UK.  I found it to be pretty dry, at least compared to the lakes around here and the foggy area you're from.  If you do somehow find a travel budget, being in Colorado wouldn't be bad because it's centrally located and they have a discount airline based in Denver called Frontier.  You'll be able to do plenty of trips for around $200.  Perhaps if you're cool and nice like your mother Ann, you'll be able to find a few places from the folks on here to lodge for a weekend.  Minneapolis is mighty fine in the summer or fall.  The rest... um, well...  I hope you like snow and Arctic air.

It really is a shame about Chicago though.  It's really an amazing place despite the weather.  The thing about weather (in my opinion) is that you can experience the same forms of it anywhere in the world.  I feel the culture is the key to this experience.  For example: what is it like to be an American, an immigrant, a minority or an illegal alien vs. it being sunny and warm just like it would be in Southern Europe or any other place on the same latitude.  Consider what's most unique.  This isn't a vacation but a learning experience (which I see you're aware of by comparing schools).

Best of luck and feel free to ask more questions.

Jason

Offline et in arcadia ego

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 02:47:34 am »
Ann:

I am almost a lifelong Right Coaster (except for a few years in Wisconsin) and have pretty much only ventured out West for when the Dead were playing there in the good old days, so I can't help you....

sorry,
mike

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 11:14:16 am »
Alice, I know you are going to do well and enjoy yourself whichever choice you end up making. Really.

And I hope that somewhere either before, during or after your semester you will have a few days in NYC.

Awaiting your decision and wishing ya well,
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 11:31:29 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 11:33:15 am »
Hi Everyone, and thanks for the messages so far.

Alice wanted to ask some more questions, (we've been talking it over on Skype) but her computer keyboard is giving her problems right now. Soooo...

She's dropped the Chicago area one in favour of Buffalo SUNY. Anyone have any comments on Buffalo? I've been there once for a Grateful Dead concert over twenty years ago, but have no idea what the place is like now. Or what the SUNY is like.

Mike, this is your territory - any comments?

Thanks - from both of us!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline MSPspud

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 11:54:53 am »
Ah, so she has more choices than just the four mentioned above? 

Stuart has been to Buffalo a number of times on layovers.  I just emailed him for his two cents.  We'll see what he says.  East of the Mississippi is not in my experience domain at all.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 12:05:56 pm »
Hi Jason,

Yes, there's quite a long list actually, but those four/five are the best suited to what she wants to concentrate on, which is lads... oops, I mean history and politics.

From what I remember, Buffalo is very similar in feel etc to the Cleveland area where I grew up. But that doesn't help her much, she's only been to the Cleveland area once - when she was about two. I figure winter can be very cold and snowy, but spring and fall are nice. It's also pretty much a working class area, so she should feel at home in that respect. Unless things have changed?

Looking forward to hearing what Stuart has to report.

Thanks again!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline MSPspud

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 12:48:35 pm »
Here is what Stuart had to say about Buffalo:

Buffalo is not a very nice city. It is economically depressed as is most of upstate New York –heavy industry and manufacturing activities pretty much gone. The weather in winter is miserable with heavy snow fall and subzero temperatures. Toronto is a two hour drive north, New York City is about a four hour drive, but Buffalo itself is lousy.

When I told him he had to say something positive, his reply was:

Canada is only a hop skip and a jump away.

In defense of Buffalo (though I've never been there)...  I love industrial towns myself from growing up in Green Bay.  They are way more fun if you go out and it's easy to be a star with the locals.  My only real thought on this location is that you may find less contrast from the UK in places this far east.  Maybe I'm wrong but I think the other places offer more of an experience.

Offline bear60

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 01:07:11 pm »
Ann
I've kept out of this so far because I really dont know anything first hand about the institutions mentioned.  However, from a gay man's point of view:  the west coast is beautiful and the climate is mild. The ocean...fantastic. The guys: pretty. There is public transportation up and down the coast so trips by train to San Francisco or even to Seattle are possible. ( At least the last I knew they still had those trains.)  Culturally there is so much more to offer on the west coast.  The arts and culture ( music, theater and film) to me outweigh a lot of other things.
Just my thoughts.
Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 01:51:07 pm »
Hi Jason,

Well, that fits with what she's been hearing about Buffalo - that's why it wasn't on the list to begin with. It sounds like it hasn't changed much from when I was there in 81 or 82 to see the Dead. I believe Cleveland has come back a bit, because although they also lost the industrial base I hear they've gone in for IT based business now.

Hi Joel, and thanks. It all helps as the universities on offer are all pretty much on the same par as far as academic considerations go. She's trying to decide on her first two choices based on other things.

CA seems to be favourite at the moment and the only thing it seems to have going against it is cost of living. The more she has to spend to live, the less money she'll have to travel during the summer of 08 when she's finished her school year. She hasn't been back to the States since we moved here, days before her fourth birthday and she's desperate to see some of the country of her birth. (yes, Andy, she wants very much to see NYC. She doesn't remember it at all, even though she's been there a few times)

I'll be glad (for her sake) when she finally makes up her mind. This is even more nerve-wracking than choosing her uni in the UK two years ago. (OMG can't believe it's been two years since she was doing that!)

All the contributions have helped though, and as she has until tomorrow morning to make her first and second choice, there's still time for further comments. (they have to submit a first and second choice, because most of the places have a set amount of openings)

Again, your help is much appreciated!  :-*

Ann
xxx

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline bear60

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 02:03:20 pm »
Ann
I can understand the cost of living issue.  Is you daughter going to live off campus? Dorm living isnt the greatest but it is usually cheap.
Well, Arizona is CLOSE to the west coast.lol. and its nicer than Buffalo.
Joel

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 02:24:00 pm »
Do not do Buffalo. I grew up in this area, as you did,and not much has changed. You have four good months and 8 months of pure hell. Those 8 months, its a toss up between Cleveland and Buffalo as far as being the most depressing places on earth.

The whole culture in the West is different. Its a different country not saddled with much of the ethnic divisions that burden all the midwest and eastern smokestack cities. Western cities are not divided along ethnic lines as many eastern cities are. People of all races,origins,sexual preferences,sexes wake up each morning knowing that today could be the day they make a difference. I never get that feeling of optimism in the east and midwest. You can see it everywhere in the west.

I took my girls to Cal two summers ago when they were 20, and they(we)had a wonderful time. They had such a great time they went back to southern cal with their Friends on spring break.

This year,they have asked to go back to Arizona. Arizona has everything. We will hike for two days in the beautiful Tucson area. We then go to Sedona to hike for the remainder of the week. Sedona is an hour north of Phoenix.
http://www.earthcam.com/usa/arizona/sedona/
Phoenix is one the most vibrant of US cities and of course Scottsdale is great. The grand canyon is a couple hours north of there and Utah is just north. ITS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

And the food!!!! The food in California is second to place,including Europe.

The US west is simply one the most beautiful areas on this planet,from Arizona,to California,up to the Pacific Northwest and those two great cities of funkiness,Portland and Seattle.

Go West and you will never forget it. It will change your life.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 03:27:12 pm »
Hi Joel,

Yes, she'll be on campus. I think she doesn't get a choice, being an exchange student. Having a place to live off campus would be difficult to set up from over here anyway. She enjoyed her first year in a dorm, but she's off campus this year in a house with kids from her dorm.

I think her first two choices will be CA and AZ, but she could still probably be swayed where CO is concerned. When I asked her if she'd seen the new info on Buffalo, she'd seen up to Jason's post and said - "So it's a shit-hole?" LOL...

Yeah, Jake, I couldn't wait to get out of NE Ohio, but I went east to NYC. Alice is disappointed that nothing in NYC was on offer.

She hasn't seen the last two posts and she's not answering her skype so I've texted her to tell her to have a look. Probably downstairs smoking a ciggy. ::)

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Jody

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 06:44:42 pm »
Hi Alice...You have some great choices and can't go wrong...Coming from your isle off the coast of England where you get alot of wet weather, I initially thought you would appreciate Arizona...Anyway if you get to New York dinner is on me !!!

Take care and best of luck, (Uncle) Jody   ;)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Cliff

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 07:23:05 pm »
Hi Alice,

I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter which school you choose.  Personally I would go for Long Beach as the 1st choice with Tempe as #2.  Why?

1.  Culture.  I think Southern California will offer more culturally (attractions, scenery, style) than Pheonix.
2.  Weather
3.  Diversity.  You'll be around a much larger and much more diverse population in Long Beach/LA than in Tempe/Pheonix.

However, I do enjoy Phoenix as a city.  And it's close to flag staff, which I love.  The temp was much lower (higher elevation) and the city was more vibrant (college town) and liberal.

Well, which ever option you go with, I hope you get it.

Cliff

Offline Robert

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2006, 10:12:04 pm »
I described Colorado for you.  It's a great place.  The mountains are terrific.  The weather can't be beat.  Summers are nice and warm but not unbearable...unlike Arizona.  There is nothing more refreshing than an afternoon thundercloud that open up and washes all the dirt away.  Within minutes it moves on and you've got nothing but blue skies.  Winter are great for skiing.  So outdoor sports is a big factor in choosing Colorado.

But when it comes to diversity and culture and lifestles, nothing beats S. California.  Long Beach, Venice, LA (downtown in particular is WOW!!!), further south to Laguna Beach and San Diego or north to San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara you have beautiful coast lines and beaches.   It's also big on Asian cultures....Japan, Korea, Viet Nam.  Also Mexican and S. American.  Like I said, when it comes to diversity of cultures...and this includes FOOD!!!!... S. Califnornia is hard to beat.

Good luck ALICE...

robert

Offline alice

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2006, 01:58:47 pm »
Hi again everyone!

Just thought I'd let you know that I put California, Arizona, Buffalo and Colorado as my final choices (in that order). Today I got my course directors decision, I got Long Beach California which was my first choice so I'm very happy! Thanks again for all your input (it really really helped with my decision making!) and any further information and/or advice would be greatly appreciated whenever it might pop into your head in the next seven months! I hope to travel a bit while I'm in the States so even those of you who don't live in the California area it would be great to hear of some places worth a visit! Hope to speak to you all again soon, thanks again :)

Alice
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 02:02:21 pm by alice »

Offline bear60

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2006, 02:30:15 pm »
Hi Alice...Congratulations on getting your first choice.  I know you will enjoy California. As far as what to see and where to go.  I dont have a clue what your preferences are: i mean for instance would you prefer to go gamble in Las Vegas or volunteer to go to New Orleans with Habitat for Humanity and help build a home for the displaced people of that city???  I dont mean literally of course its just a way of knowing how you think.
But since you ARE in California you want to see San Francisco ( ride the trolleys), and there is a great zoo in San Diego, and the redwood forests north of San Francisco are awesome, and Yosemite National Park is out of this world.  (But I would go in nice weather.) Just for starters.  Hey when will you have time to study!

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2006, 05:36:09 pm »
Hello Alice - Congrats on Long Beach - California is a great place...as long as you don't stay too long and go nuts in the traffic etc.  :

Even though it wasn't on your list - here is a webcam showing my hometown of Tucson from the University of Arizona area - a pretty nice town huh?

Good luck -

Kevin

http://www.cs.arizona.edu/camera/

Offline Eldon

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2006, 02:07:35 am »
Supporting You

Hey Ann...

Now, Long Beach, Califorrnia is a GOOD choice. University of Phoenix is in the runnig as well.

Conrgats Alice!

Take care of YOU!

"Don't Give Up, Don't Give In... Cause it is ALL within you to WIN!"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.