Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:01:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 624
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 599
Total: 599

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Meds, They Are A-Changin'  (Read 10646 times)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
The Meds, They Are A-Changin'
« on: February 16, 2008, 03:06:54 pm »
There must be some cosmic shift going on because this seems to be happening for a lot of folks right now, but...looks like I'm due for a regimen change.  I've been on Kaletra and Combivir for the last three years and have had to deal with some, ahem...rather shitty  side effects.  Projectile poop, deep fatigue and soaring cholesterol levels primarily.  I spoke with my doc about swapping Kaletra for Reyetaz or going the Prezista route. He was resistant and wanted me to bring in a stool sample to rule out intestinal things before agreeing to any changes.  I was preparing to bring in the mother of all stool samples to underline my position...the nastiest, most horrid poo I could muster.  >:( ;D

Well...doc called back the other day to tell me that my latest blood draws show my triglycerides are now through the roof (not sure of the exact number right now, but I wanna say "in the 600's"....does that sound right?).  He added me a new scrip to try to bring that number down, but has since called back to say, "Forget it.  It's not worth going through adding yet another med for sides.  This, plus the Crestor, plus your family history of cardio problems, plus your complaints...I've reevaluated and agree with you.  We need to dicuss a regimen change."

The "Meds Nurse" lady that we have to talk to is due to call me to make an appointment to decide on what is next.  It is likely to just be a Reyetaz switch, but I dunno yet.  Regardless, Kaletra is on the way out.  I'm hoping to time it right so I can have a month's (or close to it) supply of Kaletra to send to Lisa.  I wanna earmark these pills for TnBoy if I can.  We'll have to see.

That's the scoop from here. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 03:08:56 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

Re: The Meds, They Are A-Changin'
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 03:23:00 pm »
You know how much I hated Kaletra, so I'm glad you get to dump it. No pun intended.

Seriously discuss Prezista with the meds nurse. My poopie problems ended withen 24 hours of stopping Kaletra. No diet change or Immodium required.

For god's sake boy cut back on the Burger Queen.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 03:27:18 pm »
Well, good luck.  I've never done Reyataz, but Prezista has been great for me.  I'd push for that one if at all possible.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 03:28:19 pm »
i dunno where i got this rep for having such a horrid diet.  i eat pretty well, really.  i ate a lot of BK in San Fran, but boy was on a budget that week, ya know?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 03:30:30 pm »
Fine.  Then post a typical week's menu and let us have a go :)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 03:32:25 pm »
Fine.  Then post a typical week's menu and let us have a go :)

Oh, whatever.  I don't have to justify to you!  :D 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 03:33:13 pm »
i dunno where i got this rep for having such a horrid diet.  i eat pretty well, really.  i ate a lot of BK in San Fran, but boy was on a budget that week, ya know?

Frozen Jeno's Pizza is not a vegetable.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 03:34:03 pm »
I know what you boys down in the South eat.  I'm sure you're shoveling back pork rinds, fried chicken and fried catfish every chance you can in between your Baconators and BK Whoppers.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 03:36:42 pm »
i don't like the direction this thread is taking.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 03:38:27 pm »
You could stop it by posting that weekly menu and/or having your nutritionist log on to the board to vouch for you.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 03:40:57 pm »
You could stop it by posting that weekly menu and/or having your nutritionist log on to the board to vouch for you.

Well, thus far today I've had a serving of Kiss My Ass along with some Eat Shit and two glasses of Go Fuck Yourself.

Does that sound fairly balanced to you?  Hmmm?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 03:47:55 pm »
Sounds like we've touched a nerve here.  I'll try and be more sensitive to your needs in the future.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 03:51:39 pm »
 ;D
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline northernguy

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 09:30:44 pm »
Well, thus far today I've had a serving of Kiss My Ass along with some Eat Shit...

Hmm, sound like we have a scat cat in our midst ;)
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 10:45:23 pm »
Well, thus far today I've had a serving of Kiss My Ass along with some Eat Shit and two glasses of Go Fuck Yourself.

Does that sound fairly balanced to you?  Hmmm?

It depends on how many coconut cakes you've had lately.   ;)

Hugs,

Henry
(who is happy that Youth Pastor Tim may have the opportunity to switch to some kindler, gentler meds.)
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 12:33:43 am »
Timmy honey, I worked at a hospital in Alabama, and even there they fried everything, even corn.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 06:28:41 am »
Frozen Jeno's Pizza is not a vegetable.

Damn.
I hope tater chips is. that's what i use to tell the kids.

Lucas

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 09:42:00 am »
I don't think I've ever had fried corn.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 09:43:58 am »
I can't remember what they used to call it, but it was almost like a corn hushpuppy. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 09:46:04 am »
You sure it  just wasn't over cooked corn pudding?

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 09:47:52 am »
I don't think so.  They were a part of the cafeteria cuisine every single day.  They were like little fried corn nuggets.  Actually I liked them at the time, and this very moment I have an urge to go to Long John Silver's.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 09:52:25 am »
I don't think I was aware that Long John Silver's still was a functioning business entity.  What are you craving -- hush puppies?  They are divine, that's for sure.  If I lived in Atlanta I'm sure I'd be a Crestor Queen myself.  I wouldn't even begin to know where to find hush puppies in Philadelphia.  I don't even know of a decent place for pulled pork BBQ.

I'd still like to see what Timberly eats.  She's so secretive.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 09:57:07 am »
Yes, there is a Long John's about 5 minutes away from my apartment.  I absolutely adore hush puppies.  I don't think I've had a decent bbq pulled pork since I lived in Alabama.  What is Crestor, btw?

Timmy is very closed-mouth.  She can't have that wonderful of a diet. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 10:05:43 am »
Whoaaaaaaaaa! Tim started this thread to discuss a meds change. He didn't begin it with a request for a dietery evaluation. And he's made it quite clear that is not what he wants.

So I suggest people back off teasing and with giving unsought recommendations.

I don't know what Tim eats and it's none of my business unless he chooses to bring that up for discussion. Which he has not done. As I read it what he's asked for is information and support with regard to changing medications. How about we just stick with that for now.

Andy Velez

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 10:06:07 am »
Crestor is a statins and is used to prevent cardio issues.  I would assume Timberly's LDL cholesterol levels and triglycerides are sky high due to Kaletra.  I know mine went outside of normal range, and in fact still are even though I've been off Kaletra now for almost 2 years, but they were never wildly outside normal, just a tad, so there was never a need to worry.  All I was told to do was take fish oil supplements.

That said, I eat very little take out and never order delivery food.  I do indulge in a cheeseburger/fries but limit it to about 2/month.  When I first moved to Philadelphia, however, I was 2 blocks from the old school cheese steak shacks and was munching one down each week :)  They're still only 5 blocks from me now, but I've probably only gone twice in the past year.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 10:12:49 am »
I take Lipitor myself.  It's worked wonderfully. 

I have never had a philly cheese steak sandwich, but they do sound wonderful. 

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 10:58:34 am »
Hey Tim,

Never done Prezista, but Reyataz was a no-brainer for me until my stomach revolted sans PPI.

I'm curious to see what your drug fuhrer wants to put you on.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Robert

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 11:34:49 am »
Morning thumper.

I started out on Kaletra and Combivir and it was the combo from hell.  I knew the first night I wasn't right.  Truly bad nightmares with drones and starships hovering overhead, waiting for me to die.  I was becoming psychotic day and  night.   This went on for 3 weeks before my brothers finally convinced my Dr to change the meds.  Of coursse she always broke out into  song, "...give  meds a chance."

After we finally dropped those meds and added my  current regime I've been fine although my cholesterol has never, ever, returned to normal

Reyataz, Truvada and Norvir aren't  too bad.  Rather than having an exploding ass I tend to be on the constipated side.

I'm glad your Dr is finally singing a new tune.

robert

Offline fearless

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 12:18:29 am »
hey Timmy,

For some reason I thought you had already changed meds recently. I'm having another senior's moment.

Seriously talk to your doctor about Prezista. As the others have said, poopies disappear overnight. For me, the fatigue also went and my vision/perception changed - it was like someone turned the lights up a shade, or removed a dulling filter from my eyes.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 06:09:21 am »
Well Tim hello

Some of the lipid stuff may be genetic but the Kaletra is deffo an additional pressure.  In terms of Reyataz v Prezista, the Norvir boost is an important contributor and Reyataz uses less. Prezista uses the same amount as Kaletra. Many studys have demonstrated Reyataz is kinder to some, but not all, people on the lipid front. The ARTEMIS study on Prezista showed a much lower rate of abnormal tris on Prezista v Kaletra though (3% v 11%) - trouble is this study used a dose in the study is not the licensed/presribable dose...hmmm

Another concern here is triglycerides, something of a mystery the full story on ARVs and triglycerides.  Note that higher tris may well be predictive of future lipoatrophy (I guess as an indicator of disturbed fat metabolism) - see here for example. So perhaps also push on switching the AZT for a tenofovir-based nuke pair.

I have a feeling your doc is an ARV tortoise and not alive to the importance of cardiovascular health for people on combo.

Regards to the South

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2008, 11:14:01 am »
Reyataz was one of the worst for me in terms of bowell problems(nuclear diarrhea,rancid odors,and crapping in slacks). Prezista is a miracle drug. No sides at all for me . The only drug I have taken since late 80s with no sides.
Since it is a PI there are lipo issues if you are susceptible to those, but not bad compared to other PIs.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2008, 02:13:41 pm »
I have a feeling your doc is an ARV tortoise and not alive to the importance of cardiovascular health for people on combo.

- matt

Actually, I have to give him his due with regard to paying attention to my cardio health.  Thing is, he is one of those hard line meds disciples that is just resistant in general to hearing and believing in meds side issues.  Quick to ascribe any side issue to any other catagory - old age, weight, family history, etc.  His mantra:  "The meds always work.  It's people who fail."  Overall, I get on with him great.  That's one area where we kinda clash, though. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2008, 02:22:14 pm »
Oi, I'd not last long with that one.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2008, 02:29:26 pm »
I wouldn't either.  The doc I have now is a young one, but he seems trainable.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2008, 02:38:55 pm »
I'm on my fourth HIV specialist, and I must say that all of them have been very sensitive to these issues.  I guess I've been lucky or something, but that's a very good track record there.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.