Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:20:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 577
Total: 577

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Crystal meth kills...  (Read 11630 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Crystal meth kills...
« on: March 28, 2007, 09:00:31 pm »

Man chronicles his death by meth use  A 35 year old......

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17808933/

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
Re: Crystal meth kills...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 10:12:47 pm »
Thank you for posting this Ray. It brings to mind a couple of my friends, whom I want better for.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 10:17:53 pm »
Yipes.  The video wouldn't work, and that's probably a good thing.  The pics were enough. What a mess. 

Ravaged is the word that comes to mind.

It sounds like the guy had some major issues predating the meth.  I'm not saying that meth can't be highly toxic to the system.  I'm just saying it sounds like there were multiple corrosives working on the guy- right down to the spirit. 

Shame.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 10:39:39 pm »
Ok don't want to get that bad. :o

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 07:46:23 am »
Ok don't want to get that bad. :o

I don't want to see that happen to you either Jerry. To be quite honest, your other post was the reason I had posted this. Stay away from the meth !! And yes, I have done meth before, many years ago.( about 34 years ago)... I do understand how additive it is.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 08:44:58 am »

I am not sure how many have seen this television commercial. I am not sure if it is regional or not, but it is often shown in the Tampa Bay area :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_KI9x5SSv4

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 11:18:56 am »
i call meth the devil's drug, invented and perfected by him.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 01:38:43 pm by Ihavehope »
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 01:36:17 pm »
My goodness... didn't he turn into a pretty, pretty princess?
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline scotttt

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 02:01:22 pm »

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 02:12:08 pm »
People on meth shouldn't be allowed to make decisions about their hair style.

When I quit the coke... all of a sudden, I started hearing about how much better I looked.  I also got laid a lot more because I didn't look like... well... a coke head.

It was this turn of events that really gave me the strength to quit. 

When I realized that "not doing drugs makes you pretty," I knew what I had to keep doing.  Or not doing in this case.

Because I am a giant narcissist. 

Do what works, right?
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 02:40:52 pm »
The bottom picture is when this lady first got busted.... and the rest are over a 10 year period.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 02:42:51 pm by ACinKC »
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline scotttt

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 02:53:15 pm »
"When I realized that "not doing drugs makes you pretty............."

Benj,

You make a really good point.  I always joke that crystal meth is not a beauty product.  I took a pic of myself after a night of doing tequila shots and then I took a pic of myself a week later.  I looked so much better in the pic where I hadn't been drinking.  This is one of the strongest reasons I decided to leave the tequila and vodka alone.  I can only imagine what I would have looked like all cracked out, if booze could do a number on my face.  Vanity can be a persuasive force.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 11:46:39 am »
New from POZ
"Getting Crystal Clear" and "Kicking Crystal to the Curb"
http://www.poz.com/articles/2023_12133.shtml

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 01:26:57 pm »
Good title for an anti drug commercial....They need to make some concerning meth...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline rkeat25

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 02:46:51 pm »
What a shame about that man.  At least he used his misfortune to educate others.  As many of you know, I had a bit of a habit with this substance last year.  I can understand its attraction and appreciate how addictive it is.  I'm happy I was able to get off of it before I suffered any dire consequences.

~ronnie

Offline Iggy

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 02:57:36 pm »
Crystal meth kills...

Does Crystal Meth kill?  Sure it does - though I would guess in laughable numbers compared to alcohol at the end of the day.

I don't question the validity of the pictures or your subject line, but I do tire of anti drug messages being wrapped in hyperbole.

There is a significant problem of crystal meth usage in the gay community but so far screaming at them that they are addicts  or that they are on the road to damnation has not seemed to work.  I think we need to educate about what the drugs do vs. project that everyone who does them is going to be a worst case scenario.

I say this as I know from personal experience as well as friends that such "show me the horrors" campaigns more often than not backfires as many who use the drugs don't see a reflection of who they are in such images presented and thus it reinforces an erroneous belief that they are not an addict and have it all under control.

Again - Does Crystal Meth Kill - why I know it has, but I also know that it gives some people the most amazing sex of their lives.  Any anti drug campaign or message that wishes to be effective vs. just catchy should really talk about the validity of both points to a user.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 02:59:54 pm by Iggy »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 03:00:25 pm »
That's some gospel right above me, folks.  Excellent post, Iggy.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 07:31:04 pm »
I think the story of the trucker was moving.  However, I know that when I did drugs, no one could "scare" me straight.  It was just a matter of hitting a personal bottom that hurt more than getting high.  It is admirable, though, that the guy tried to help others through his death and dying.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007, 08:50:32 pm »
The State Department of Health, Office of AIDS provided as grant for Sonoma County to use in assistance re: meth use.  Prevention Planning of Sonoma County hired an out of county agency to build the site and the funds are gone.  Here is what is left www.stayinformedsonoma.net

They also frovided 4 color newspaper ads, banners on streets and the agency used all billable hours until the funding was gone.  There was a catered dinner and gift baskets for 150 guests on the Russian River while only 35 people showed up.  Shame on Sonoma County for using money earmarked for treatment and care of 500 people.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007, 11:25:11 pm »
An interview with Peter Staley , a little while back ;

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/meth/interviews/staley.html

Peter, what was the name of that organization that the full page ad was taken out for in the "New York Times",  Just a year or two ago ? I have the paper somewhere, but can't seem to locate it right now.

Ray

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 08:53:44 am by J.R.E. »

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 09:22:28 am »
An interview with Peter Staley , a little while back ;

Hey Ray - Thanks for this interview link. I didn't know about it.

Quote from the interview: Crystal meth is a problem, and we are, as a community, talking about it ... and trying to face it. But only a small minority of gay men have ever even tried crystal meth.

I say this as I know from personal experience as well as friends that such "show me the horrors" campaigns more often than not backfires as many who use the drugs don't see a reflection of who they are in such images presented and thus it reinforces an erroneous belief that they are not an addict and have it all under control.

I'll never try crystal meth so the 'show me the horrors' tactic does work on some people. Looking at the pic in post #10, I can relate because I've seen myself 21 pounds underweight (the low point being in 2005) and the lower cheeks have "that look" (not a good one, you know what I mean) and the cheekbones stand out - but again not in a good way

Quote from the interview: And what we are seeing is people with white-collar jobs, the boyfriend of 10 to 15 years, the two dogs, the gorgeous Manhattan condo, losing everything in six months. And we're seeing it again and again and again. ... It's happening in all income scales.

Wow. It sounds like the worst street drug ever, y'know, to have *that* much control and everything :'(

Offline Cliff

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 12:23:20 pm »
The ads and personal stories have had an impact on me.  I doubt I will ever try that drug either.

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 01:29:29 pm »
A year ago last week (7/11/06) I lost a friend to meth....he got to the place where he was shooting it up all the time....his partner later found used needles stashed in many places around their newly renovated 5000 sqare foot dutch colonial in the Indian Village neighborhood of Detroit.   The truly sad part was that he was a Yale educated architect....professionally at the top of his game....well known in the highest circles of Detroit....smart as can be....yet held hostage to the worst "enemy" I have ever seen.....400 people showed up at his funeral where it was said that he died of a coronary embolism (blood clot)....but many of us knew otherwise.   He and I had been attending crystal meth anonymous meetings...the last time I saw him was at one such meeting....the next morning he woke up, walked the dog, took a shower, and collapsed shortly thereafter.  I got a call at 12:00 noon....rushed to the hospital but it was too late.  The first time I ever saw a dead body laying on a hospital bed, still warm....yet a very cold moment indeed.

Wow....this thread really brought it all back....actually a good thing since I still have cravings for that shit. After all that I went through a year ago....yet there are times when I think it will be okay to use "a little"...but the first hit leads to the second, and to the third...it does not stop until the meth is gone.   Insane.

But the fight continues.....so far I am winning....and I am greatful!

Thank you for this thread....another good piece of my puzzle of sobriety....revealed!

This forum is truly a gathering of Angels....

Again......I am greatful!

Be well....

Craig
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 02:57:55 pm »
Wow....this thread really brought it all back....actually a good thing since I still have cravings for that shit. After all that I went through a year ago....yet there are times when I think it will be okay to use "a little"...but the first hit leads to the second, and to the third...it does not stop until the meth is gone.   Insane.

Craig,

Thanks for sharing the story of your friend who passed last year.  Your comment about bringing "it all back" ring true for me, too, though for MDMA in the early 80s.  All it takes is the right lighting, the right disco music, the mixed scents of poppers, sweat and beer, and I go back mentally 25 years....the urge strikes to take a few hits, dance, do a few more hits, and have sex with 50 to 60 cocks and holes... full-body memories sweep over me with amazing clarity of places faces, and physical details...I can taste a guy in my mouth, feel his cock in me and mine in some other guy.  Twice in the last year those memories have been so powerfaul that I have run out of a club almost in tears.  Incredibly,since I first encountered meth in the mid-90s, I ran from it and have managed to keep a healthful distance from it while still getting involved in education and treatment advocacy.

That said, I am no fan of hyperbole and "just say no" messaging. Humans like to do things they are told to not do, just to see if they can avoid the consequences, and people do meth because it make them feel GOOD, if only til they crash.

Peace,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 03:10:13 pm »
And after the crash, you're left with a brain incapable of producing Dopamine naturally. Meth is a terrible, terrible menace.

I recently hooked up with a guy I met last summer when he was sky-high. The first time we had sex it was electric and magical. But the guy I reconnected with was almost incapable of having sex at all. I feel so bad for him, he finds so few pleasures in life now.

Brent
(Who fears this is an endlessly repeating story)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline redhotmuslbear

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2007, 03:44:50 pm »
And after the crash, you're left with a brain incapable of producing Dopamine naturally. Meth is a terrible, terrible menace.
(Who fears this is an endlessly repeating story)

This is a good example of the sicentific sounding but non-science-based misinformation that gets created via most of the anti-drug messaging in use today.  All pleasure-inducing drugs and activities cause a release of dopamine:  meth causes a release about four times the size of what's created by cocaine.  Over time, dopamine receptors in the brain get burned out, die, and are not replaced:  this creates a contuined depressive state, though every hit of meth with still release dopamine.

As for this being a repeating story, you're exactly right.  The current outbreak of meth abuse is part of a cycle of upper and downer abuse outbreaks that have gone on for decades.  Dr. Patricia Case of Fenway Health made this point clearly in her opening presentation at the 2005 Natl Conference on Methamphetamine, HIV and Hepatitis:

http://www.harmredux.org/Conference%20PPs/Case-HistoryofMethamphetamine.ppt

I borrow from that presentation and others from the 2005 conference in a "meth ed" unit  which I lead for Volunteer Basic Training at The Whitman-Walker Clinic in D.C.

http://www.harmredux.org/conferencemedia.html

Peace,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2007, 05:48:26 pm »

This is a good example of the sicentific sounding but non-science-based misinformation that gets created via most of the anti-drug messaging in use today.  All pleasure-inducing drugs and activities cause a release of dopamine:  meth causes a release about four times the size of what's created by cocaine.  Over time, dopamine receptors in the brain get burned out, die, and are not replaced:  this creates a contuined depressive state, though every hit of meth with still release dopamine.

As for this being a repeating story, you're exactly right.  The current outbreak of meth abuse is part of a cycle of upper and downer abuse outbreaks that have gone on for decades.  Dr. Patricia Case of Fenway Health made this point clearly in her opening presentation at the 2005 Natl Conference on Methamphetamine, HIV and Hepatitis:

http://www.harmredux.org/Conference%20PPs/Case-HistoryofMethamphetamine.ppt

I borrow from that presentation and others from the 2005 conference in a "meth ed" unit  which I lead for Volunteer Basic Training at The Whitman-Walker Clinic in D.C.

http://www.harmredux.org/conferencemedia.html

Peace,
David

Thanks for the clarification, David. Duly noted...
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline rkeat25

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2007, 11:46:28 pm »
Tina is a bitch - I know first hand. 

I think that the scare tactics do work for those who haven't tried the drug.  The message of what this drug is and how powerfuly addictive it is needs to be delivered to those who are unaware.  Had I heard of it before I took that first hit?  - yes.  Did I think it would be like other drugs I had tried - something that I could run into at a club have fun with that night and forget about for several months until, by chance I'd run into it again - Yes.  Did I think it would in just a few weeks take over and consume my entire life - No. 

For those who have a problem already - scare does not work.  Never has and never will.  You could put a skull and cross bones on a pack of cigarettes and I'm still going to buy them and so will most every other smoker.  Instead - harm reduction needs to be taught.  With the harm reduction message information about resources for quitting and recovery can be made available. 

~ronnie

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 08:52:54 am »

Peter, what was the name of that organization that the full page ad was taken out for in the "New York Times",  Just a year or two ago ? I have the paper somewhere, but can't seem to locate it right now.

Ray

I knew if I hunted around I could find that site ;

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=824.0

http://gaymeth.org/

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline redhotmuslbear

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 09:42:02 am »

You're thinking of the HIV Forum, most likely
http://www.hivforumnyc.org/

Offline Iggy

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2007, 04:22:03 pm »
I'm curious JRE - did you make the same post twice by accident?

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2007, 06:50:59 pm »
I'm curious JRE - did you make the same post twice by accident?

Hello Iggy,

I had simply asked Peter in my first response, what the organization was that had the full page ad, in the New york Times. Somehow I had inadvertently quoted from my initial post, realised the error but was too lazy to go back and fix it !!

He may not have seen my question...I then came back and had found the thread, that Peter had discussed this full page ad in, along with that, the website, and reposted.

http://gaymeth.org

Ray
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 08:08:38 pm by J.R.E. »

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.