Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:33:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 640
Total: 641

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Try many Cocktails  (Read 3021 times)

Offline bGeek107

• Warm sensitive intellligent gay man
Try many Cocktails
« on: January 25, 2013, 02:08:00 pm »
Everyone is different in body alone. Try many cocktails and see how you do on them. How you feel. How your system feels. How your Viral Load is doing. How your T-Cells are doing. Keep your doctor informed as to how you feel. If you feel bad in any way stop one drug for a week and see if that helps. Do this with each drug. If you feel pretty good try lowering the dosage by taking weekend holidays. Keep an eye on your Viral Load and your T-Cells. Keep your doctor informed. I survived by doing this and yelling at my doctors because I didn’t feel well. 

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Try many Cocktails
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 02:48:46 pm »
Everyone is different in body alone. Try many cocktails and see how you do on them. How you feel. How your system feels. How your Viral Load is doing. How your T-Cells are doing. Keep your doctor informed as to how you feel. If you feel bad in any way stop one drug for a week and see if that helps. Do this with each drug. If you feel pretty good try lowering the dosage by taking weekend holidays. Keep an eye on your Viral Load and your T-Cells. Keep your doctor informed. I survived by doing this and yelling at my doctors because I didn’t feel well. 

I am all for being the strongest advocate for your own health and quality of life, but it's pretty risky, from a resistance perspective, to decided on your own to remove one drug from a regimen that requires all of the drugs to be effective. Is this what your doctor has recommended?

Evidence does seem to support the notion that, for some drug combos, an adherence rate far lower than 95% is effective. You no doubt are aware that many folks here, with or without approval by their doctors, take drug holidays like the one you mention. Some people even go two weeks on, one week off. And certainly there are drugs in development that will allow this to become standard in the future. I am just concerned that it's a little/lot soon to be advocating it as a widespread recommendation.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 03:32:02 pm »
Hogwash
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 04:51:44 pm »
1) suggesting that a week is enough time to determine anything about medications is too simplistic. It often takes 4-6 weeks for a body to adjust to any medication; much less the results of rising or falling viral load and cd4 counts, and general side effects that might come from simply adjusting to a new medication.

2) removing one medication from a regimen has a big risk factor for allowing HIV replication and/or resistance developing to that medication.

3) while I agree that if you are having issues with a cocktail you should discuss this with your doctor to either compensate for the unwanted side effects or to try a new regimen, trying "many cocktails" is just a recipe for running out of any effective medication to treat your HIV. Any major regimen change should be done with the utmost caution and with sufficient time to thoroughly evaluate the change.

4) if you plan on following any of the OP's suggestions, the most important suggestion is "Keep an eye on your Viral Load and your T-Cells". While therapeutic drug monitoring (TDM) can be very expensive, it will be only the way to tell how the OP's other suggestions are actually effecting you and your HIV. (btw TDM usually requires more than 1 wk to truly measure what differences might be happening by starting and stopping meds and by trying as many regimens as possible.)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 06:28:03 am »

There may be some good advice buried in this mess. I agree that everyone should make sure a doctor is doing everything possible to address when a patient isn't feeling well.  All your cowboy behavior is pretty unwise, but it does show that you take ownership and are proactive, and that you know you are not just another number, not just another sheep in the flock. 

However, all your cowboy antics are based on "how your feel" when in fact many times health is based on the numbers, which are based on testing and probing, etc etc.  I had a friend whose dad looked and felt terrific until the day he had a massive heart attack and then needed major heart surgery, and nobody would have ever guessed his arteries were clogged, considering his vitality, thinness and robustness.

"How your feel" is only half the equation for many health challenges.  But you seem to make it 100%.

Danger.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:30:14 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.