Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:55:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 358
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 332
Total: 333

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Switching to Stribild?  (Read 9839 times)

Offline keven

Switching to Stribild?
« on: December 22, 2012, 10:51:02 am »
I asked my Dr. about switching from Epzicom/Issentress to Stribild as a convenience from three pills each day (two at night and one in the morning) to one pill each day.  Convenience is the only reason for the switch.  Epzicom/Issentress keeps me stable with no side effects.   

At first he said no problem but also told me that because Stribild is new to the market, there is not a lot of data especially surrounding stress to the kidneys.  While he said it would be ok to switch to Stribild, he also said if it were him, he would wait until there is more data on Stribild and my current regimen contains two less drugs than Stribild and is for sure less stressful on the kidneys. 

Anyone else thinking about switching to Stribild for convenience and how do you weigh the convenience factor over the fact this it is new to the market with not a lot of long term data.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 10:53:31 am by keven »

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
Re: Switching to Stribild?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 02:51:30 pm »
I'm switching from Complera (another relatively new drug) to Stribild this week.  Honestly with the current generation of drugs being so new, how long can long term effects really be judged by?  A good example is Atripla which is hands down the most popular drug of choice, it was only FDA approved in 2006.  Is 6 years of general population use long enough to determine long term use effects of say 50 years plus?

In other words a lot of this stuff is best case scenario, using the best information possible.  So until a drug has been used for an entire generation, it's going to be hard to say for 100% what the 'long term effects' are.  If a drug has passed the same trials as others on the market, they at least meet that minimum standard.

If anything, moving from the 2+1 combo your on now, to a 1 pill might help with probably the most important part of medication, adherence.  With the single pill you'd probably be more likely to not miss any doses, or get pills mixed up.
10/11/2012 Journey Started
10/17/2012 First Labs: VL=57,645  CD4+=730  37%
10/31/2012 Started Complera
11/30/2012 Labs: VL=80  CD4+=929 40%
12/24/2012 Started Stribild

Undetectable since 1/15/13 CD4+= Over 1,400 and 49%

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 03:49:56 pm »
I'm switching from Complera (another relatively new drug) to Stribild this week. 

If anything, moving from the 2+1 combo your on now, to a 1 pill might help with probably the most important part of medication, adherence.  With the single pill you'd probably be more likely to not miss any doses, or get pills mixed up.

How many pills do you currently take, Windy?  And how many of them resemble one another so much that you'd actually get them mixed up?  Maybe you were thinking there's a remote chance that someone might accidentally skip taking their Epzicom/Kivexa because it could possible look like a daily multivitamin?  Just curious.

I know I really have a hard time differentiating between my Epzicom and Centrum for Men; must be due to the Sustiva I take.

don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 07:13:10 pm »
A good example is Atripla which is hands down the most popular drug of choice, it was only FDA approved in 2006. 

WRONG

The Efavirenz component which is responsible for the oft-complained CNS issues was FDA approved in September, 1998. The tenofovir component was FDA approved in October, 2001. It's not a new drug unless you think the Wonder Twin Powers of combinging something into one capsule make something new, which of course would be silly.

So, in summation, this is exactly why doctors are more comfortable recommending it for first line treatment -- there's 14 years of data on Efavirenz.

Is that hard to look something up on wikipedia before making repeated erroneous statements?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 01:22:52 am »
14 years still doesn't equate to a lifetime of potential side effects.  Perhaps basic math is too complicated for you.
10/11/2012 Journey Started
10/17/2012 First Labs: VL=57,645  CD4+=730  37%
10/31/2012 Started Complera
11/30/2012 Labs: VL=80  CD4+=929 40%
12/24/2012 Started Stribild

Undetectable since 1/15/13 CD4+= Over 1,400 and 49%

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 02:06:43 am »
14 years still doesn't equate to a lifetime of potential side effects.  Perhaps basic math is too complicated for you.

No, accepting your [continuously demonstrated] lack of knowledge seems to be quite complicated for you.   Is it really that difficult for you to admit that you're wrong?
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 05:30:02 am »

Medicine and science has been around far much longer than HIV so we can draw some conclusions from previous use of medicine and especially antiretroviral medicine and apply this to the possible outcomes of HIV therapy.

Its not "good luck" to have HIV but if anything we should be grateful for the enormous amount of research put into this virus. We have many people "working for us" around the clock, advocates, doctors and researchers alike.

My point is that you shouldn't think about today's therapies and wonder what will happen in 50 years, because most if not all will probably be obsolete by then.

2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 12:03:50 pm »
No, accepting your [continuously demonstrated] lack of knowledge seems to be quite complicated for you.   Is it really that difficult for you to admit that you're wrong?

Evidently it is. Repeatedly.

Perhaps basic common sense is too complicated for her.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline elf

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 03:23:17 pm »
This medication is not available in my country, since it is too expensive for tax payers. And in many other European countries.
So, you must be lucky to live in a rich country which gives you the most modern therapy on market.

Offline fighter65

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 10:57:16 pm »
hi all my dr. has switched my med from atripla to stribild.in my 2nd month taking it. i love it better than apripla cause after taking atripla since i was diagnosed in 2010,i was getting really really depressed and started to skip taking it. cause i had to take it on an empty stomach at night, i was unable to rest peacefully during the entire time i was on it. it made me deeply depressed of course i was in denial about it but i was..better now with stribild although its new and the latest on the market. my dr. id from africa and this is his specialty. he told me that it is much better than aptripla cause i can take it with or without food during the day time. i do feel better. when i started to skip a dose of atripla here and my vl increased slightly. im now undect. he tells me that the each drug come on the market it gets better and better than the latest drug.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.