Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:20:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 613
Total: 614

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Research should focus on a CURE!  (Read 6017 times)

Offline veritas

Research should focus on a CURE!
« on: March 21, 2009, 05:42:22 am »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Research should focus on a CURE!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 07:11:37 am »
Yep, and this has been discussed in a few threads this month already. Why a new thread?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 07:39:18 am »
I am very glad to have read from this article the following sentence:

While the National Institutes of Health currently provides funding to specific investigators working on eradication, to date there has been no concerted cooperative effort.

Because it is the shortest path to a cure IMHO.

Offline veritas

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 09:18:06 am »
Yep, and this has been discussed in a few threads this month already. Why a new thread?

Worth repeating to show the different direction research is taking and perhaps to give it a little more emphasis for those who missed the other threads.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 12:59:28 pm »

see here, last sentence.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 05:42:13 pm »
Hear Hear I toast to our community  should focus on a Cure for AIDS and Create a Powerful Activism Moment for the Cause.

Until then what are a little research is figuring out how to treat the 30 million folks with out AIDSMEDS for the would surly jump up and now an thank God for their Cure for a Pill like we have here in the USA and UK, unless many have fogotten what it looks like to Die from AIDS related illnesses.  It is burned into my memory.. Any of you folk every seen someone die from AIDS.. Tim-Bo.. Ann?

Defining the Cure for AIDS with hopes for the 30 million PEOPLE that don't have excess to AIDS MEDS will have hope and life?

I just got back from a clinic appointment where my HIV Healthcare provider Dr. Don Kurtyka (good guy and like him a lot) inform me that Gilead Science the manufacture of Atripa has capture 75 percent of the HIV/AIDS market.  Well this makes me think, would it not be wonderful if all 30 million HIV people on our Globe had a pill available to them called Atripla.   And how could this happen. I am thinking of the concept for some time now.
One way is that President Obama could step in and call for a National Global Emergency and break the patient to allow a lot of manufactures to start making Atripa with an executive order.  This would bring the cost down and create a generic market and President Obama could also inform his staff to make Atripa available over the counter for sale as a PEP or PrEP to all in the USA to stop new infections.    This could slow down new HIV infections (saving resources) and keep people in an HIV status, NOT AIDS.  He could also ask for a refining of the term AIDS to follow the Global Scientist in creating a protocol of HIV stage 1, HIV stage 2, or HIV stage 3 illness and call for a end to the word AIDS as we know it to be.  One of my teachers in the past would say that the ask must conclude with an action of NOW.

That way my first though, however I am a compassionate guy and like Robert Chenney and Company, for I believe in the free enterprise system where people should and must have a right to sell their ideas, inventions or Intellectual Property in a free market.  GNP+USA would like for it to be a FAIR and Free Market.  So in my research of the past both in policy, advocacy and economic I learned there is always a middle road of compromise. 
Secondly our President with the support of AIDS Inc in America, Activists, Advocates, and the whole community could create a plan where the USA would buy down the patient of Atrpla for a negotiated price a few  billions dollars or so and take it out of PEPFAR funding, so Giliead would not lose money and America’s would not loss jobs.  We could also make a compact with Gilead  to open a couple more manufacturing plants in the USA to mass produce Atripla( put HIV people back to work with good health insurance, a good pay check and hope for the future, saving again on USA resources and  money) 
And then employ the above plan to bring Atripla price down and hopes for the 30 million people with HIV/AIDS that don’t have AIDSMEDS a fighting chance to live another day for the supply would go up and the price would come down.
I thought I share today what  A Cure for AIDS could look like and know my Faith tells me the Cure for AIDS is in one’s heart of action.
I sure this plan needs more research and fleshing out , but here it is in Black and White or what the beltway people would call a White Page and please feel free to forward, copy or use this intellectual property as Open Souce and Public Domain for my heart is for the 30 million HIV people that are crying out for Help in our global communities.
Sincerely,
Frederick Wright
GNP+USA

Offline betonet

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 10:18:39 am »
Frederick, I absolutely agree with you!
Everyone should focus on a cure, not as 90% of the people see the disease as noncurable and only manageable by medications. Good that there are medications to prolong our lives, but the big guys should focus on a CURE!!! Many wrong money were invested on prevention, advertisement etc etc, when there should have been a cure a long ago!
Dec 2008 - diagnosed +
Jan 2009  CD4 550  CD4% ??  VL 40 000
Feb 2009  CD4 330  CD4% 18  VL Unknown
Apr 2009  CD4 406  CD4% 20  VL Unknown
May 2009  CD4 380  CD4% ??  VL 27 000
June 2009 CD4 395  CD4% ??  VL Unknown
Sept 2009 CD4 344  CD4% ??  VL 44 000
Jan   2010 CD4 397  CD4% ??  VL 250 000
May  2010 CD4 370  CD4% 16  VL 750 000
Aug 2010 CD4 385  CD4% 14  VL Unknown
Dec 2010 CD4 315  CD4% ??  VL Unknown
Jan 2010 CD4 285 CD4% ?? VL Unknown
No meds yet

Offline mousey

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 10:58:03 am »
yes...once there is a cure, there is nothing to worry about
:: Believe in a cure ::

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 12:08:02 pm »
Frederick, I absolutely agree with you!
Everyone should focus on a cure, not as 90% of the people see the disease as noncurable and only manageable by medications. Good that there are medications to prolong our lives, but the big guys should focus on a CURE!!! Many wrong money were invested on prevention, advertisement etc etc, when there should have been a cure a long ago!

Thanks.  I'd be dead by now if you'd been running the show and not focusing on HIV medications targeting those of us who suffer from resistance issues.  Resistance issues due to pre-HAART treatment (mono and dual therapy) and not through any fault of our own as in not adhering to taking the drugs.

As well, you're insistence on less money for prevention campaigns is laughable at best.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 09:57:12 am »
Betonet
Thanks for emailing me and thank you for your passion and you activism to put a Cure for AIDS back on the activist path for hopes to end to AIDS of old.  I did want to give a heads up about these fourms for lI have learned one need to be a little sensitive to other folks for many have been following the same massage for years and new concepts sometimes are hard for the old school folks to digest.
Missy. I believe Betonet attention to the should question in your forum is one that needs to be discuss future, I don't like to should on people personal, but do like to address the truth.  I believe Anton was referring to the monies invested in adverting and petty arguments over condoms and such, of being waste of resources and for more to spend  time and resources on a unified afford to focus on a Cure for AIDS.  I am clear that term Cure needs to be redefined in the meaning for some think the AIDSMEDS are a cure.  I personal don't want you to die and thankful for all the good Meds and treatment that have came out of researching for a cure for AIDS and GNP+USA just wants to kick it up to a Unified Effort.

Example of a waste of resources:
Before the launching of the new drug called Presita, a Tebo Tech invention, now owned by Johnson and Johnson Company spent Millions on trying to figure out the right name for their new drug, for they are convinced that the right marketing name can bring forth a good return or block buster new drug.  Then the 500 millions of dollars that more some say is spent to market the drug for you know marketing cost to advertise, get the FDA to buy-in their science, and to lobby the right folks to put their drug on a Medicare, Medicaid, or VA funding list. 
Betonet, with your passion and zeal for a cure is most exciting and maybe you should start a GNP+EU and GNP+USA can join up with our focus and push for this most progress policy for 30 million folks on our Global  that need some new HIV Activism for them to stay alive.   I thinking if the UK  and unified EU along with the USA would unify in the resources and focus to find a Cure for AIDS then it can happen faster.  I learned a long time ago if HIV Activist don't keep the message in the face of the policy makers or money approbation folks then the message will be lost.  Write me on my e-mail and we can start building the message and action plan.. Go GNP+EU start it today. 
Peace
Frederick Wright
GNP+USA
FrederickGNP@aol.com

Offline Basquo

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 02:03:52 pm »

Until then what are a little research is figuring out how to treat the 30 million folks with out AIDSMEDS for the would surly jump up and now an thank God for their Cure for a Pill like we have here in the USA and UK, unless many have fogotten what it looks like to Die from AIDS related illnesses.  It is burned into my memory.. Any of you folk every seen someone die from AIDS.. Tim-Bo.. Ann?

You have to ask that question? Do you seriously think you're the only one who's ever watched someone die? Get over yourself. That's insulting to every member here who has lost a loved one to AIDS. How dare you trivialize the tragic death of my friends so you can once again spit up your catch phrase about "30 million people who don't have AIDS MEDS." And then you call out Tim and Ann, who haven't even responded in this thread. I won't ask you to stick to the topic since I myself am hijacking, but you are unbelievable. Just unbelievable. I can't feel sorry for you anymore.  I won't feel sorry for someone who just can't grasp the concept that if you squeeze a cat, it will bite.

Offline ronaldinho

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 07:36:59 pm »
Maybe today, when a new NNRTI is being developed, they know 100 % that will not lead to a cure. But researchers who started developing antiretrovirals did not have that perspective, they did not have the means to know whether they were heading towards the cure or, instead, towards a treatment to control virus. So, it would not be fair to say they were not focused on a cure.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.