Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:37:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773155
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 184
Total: 184

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mr. Maverick's next move.  (Read 5794 times)

Offline Dachshund

Mr. Maverick's next move.
« on: October 13, 2008, 07:52:48 am »
I admit I'm a stone cold, political junkie. I don't limit myself to reading the left's take on this election, but dutifully hold my nose and scour the right's (Weekly Standard, NRO, American Conservative, etc.) views. The right wing blogs and the talking heads on cable, I skip altogether. Nothing to see there.

What I have found is that the right telegraphs their punches. William Kristol publishes his interview with Palin a couple of weeks ago where she says the gloves should come off and bam, two weeks of non stop Ayers and Obama were lovers. A not very transparent political tactic. It didn't work. Oh, it fired up the ultra-right Republican base, but pretty much turned the rest of America's stomach. ALL polling from Fox on down proves it a losing strategy. The only thing it accomplished was continue to drive down the McCain/Palin unfavorables and increase the Obama/Biden favorables. I think the dagger in the heart of that strategy came when our boy from the street, calmly told McCain, "say it to my face." That was a stone, cold, bitch slap. We heard it.

So here's my prediction. From what I'm smelling coming out of the right this morning, is one last, pathetic attempt at a McCain game changer. Before the debate, Mr Maverick will fire Ric Davis his campaign manager and Steve Schmidt the Rove protoge running McCain's win at all cost tactics. He'll offer one last weak attempt to renew his Maverick status as the guy who does the right thing.

So there you have it. If I'm wrong I'll put lipstick on that pig.

edited to add:

If you read nothing else bookmark this site.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 07:56:30 am by Dachshund »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Mr. Maverick's next move.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:00:51 am »
Doxie, I'm grateful McCain doesn't have your savvy running his maverick campaign. I'm reminded of the reporter who in 1932 said that if Roosevelt's opponent, (whose name I can't even recall right now),  made one more speech, FDR would carry Canada.

Andy Velez

Offline komnaes

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 10:01:54 am »
I don't think he has a next move in him and I am sure there are darker (weaker?) moments during these days that he just wants to make sure he doesn't go down in history as a joke.

The best that he can hope for is a surprise - video from Osama, some sort of attack, etc - to really swing the poll numbers. Otherwise all he could do is to leave it to the vindicative and highly unethical election machines that were set up for Bush and count on the most radical and racist elements of the right wing to threaten voters, local smear campaigns, etc, or commit outright frauds.

My only prediction is that come election day - it will become one of the nastiest, shameless and, god forbids, most violence one you guys will see in years.
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 10:14:21 am »
I rest my case, look for heads to roll before the debate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/13/opinion/13kristol.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 10:34:06 am »

I love it !...

The McCain campaign, once merely problematic, is now close to being out-and-out dysfunctional. Its combination of strategic incoherence and operational incompetence has become toxic. If the race continues over the next three weeks to be a conventional one, McCain is doomed

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 10:41:20 am »
Ha ha, I was just going to post that Kristol "call to arms" as I'd just read it.  Still, it would look so messy doing that 3 weeks out, wouldn't it?  At any rate the problem is very simple -- McCain is just void of any ideas, and he lurches too much from one contradictory thing to another.  From what I have read he did this in 2000, it's just that nobody much notice.  I can imagine that's rather impossible to control.

The Republicans are in a perfect storm anyway -- they're losing tons of congressional seats.  It's all like the last days of Jimmy Carter, but for the opposite party.  I'm just glad I've lived to see this after decades of conservativism.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 10:48:04 am »
Ha ha, I was just going to post that Kristol "call to arms" as I'd just read it.  Still, it would look so messy doing that 3 weeks out, wouldn't it?  At any rate the problem is very simple -- McCain is just void of any ideas, and he lurches too much from one contradictory thing to another.  From what I have read he did this in 2000, it's just that nobody much notice.  I can imagine that's rather impossible to control.

The Republicans are in a perfect storm anyway -- they're losing tons of congressional seats.  It's all like the last days of Jimmy Carter, but for the opposite party.  I'm just glad I've lived to see this after decades of conservativism.

Sully agrees: Blood in the water anyone?

Monday, October 13, 2008
13 Oct 2008 10:37 am

Fire Me
That's Kristol's spin today. Having spent his last column urging McCain to go on the negative attack, he now advises exactly the opposite. That is his prerogative, of course. But an actual journalist would acknowledge that he has changed his mind and take responsibility for his previous advice, given just days ago. Kristol, in all this, is Rovian. It's never about intellectual honesty or accountability and always about short-term power. Then Kristol joins me in a call for Palin to hold a real press conference:

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 10:51:27 am »
most violence one you guys will see in years.

violence at the voting polls? in America?  :o Not much of that in America since about 1870 after the Civil War. (Though there may have been some incidents scattered about, I don't remember hearing of a report of violence at the polls during my lifetime. Voter harassment and disenfranchisement, yes; but not violence.) "Violence" can't be the word you mean with the apathetic voting record of US citizens for the last 30 yrs.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Cliff

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 12:15:41 pm »
Yeah, the violent comment threw me as well.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 12:26:50 pm »
The way the McNasties have been campaigning I don't think suggesting violence is a stretch at all.

Palin really threw out the red meat this weekend campaigning in Wisconsin. She literally said that Obama supports legislation that kills babies. That his healthcare plan would kill babies. She came as close as you can get to calling Obama a baby killer. I don't think Sean meant that we would see fisticuffs erupting outside the polling booth, but then I never thought I would see bombs blowing up outside abortion clinics. 

edited to add:

One of the most opaque, misleading and emotionally-charged attacks on Barack Obama focuses on his votes as a state senator in Illinois on so called "Born Alive" legislation. Late last week, the criticism became an official part of the McCain campaign's regular messaging. From my new Time.com story on the topic:

"As a state senator, Barack Obama wouldn't even stand up for the rights of infants born alive during an abortion," [Sarah] Palin said on Saturday, during a Johnstown, Penn. rally. "These infants, often babies with special needs, are simply left to die." . . .

Two days earlier, during an appearance on the Laura Ingraham radio program, Palin said Obama had voted against providing medical care to babies who are alive after abortions. "It's very appalling," Palin said. "If more Americans could understand how absolutely extreme that position is, there would be a heck of a lot more outrage than we have already seen." Hours later, in Wisconsin, she repeated the charge that Obama had voted against providing "health care for a child who was born alive as a result of a botched abortion."

In each case, Palin's words were carefully chosen for maximum effect, without employing any outright falsehoods. Taken in isolation, however, her statements were also quite misleading, as they suggested Obama supported the death of babies after birth who had a chance of survival. The reality is very different.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 12:29:21 pm by Dachshund »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 01:35:24 pm »
Delicious, just delicious.

Yesterday on Fox News Sunday, Bill Kristol said John McCain’s campaign has really become “a pathetic campaign.” In his New York Times op-ed this morning, Kristol went further, suggesting that McCain should “fire his campaign” and “start over.” Asked to respond to Kristol’s criticisms, McCain campaign spokeswoman Nancy Pfotenhauer said on Fox News:

Well, you know Bill is entitled to his perspective. And I used to work for Bill. And I can tell you personally sometimes he’s brilliant and sometimes he’s not. And this is one where it’s the latter category. You know, I think unfortunately he has bought into the Obama campaign’s party line.

Said with a straight face, I might add.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 07:57:42 pm »
Yeah, sorry guys, the violence part might be because I was watching these before I wrote my comments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjxzmaXAg9E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHrExRHZnm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKUovpF9LWU

I have never seen such extreme sentiments being stirred up in any of the elections in my life time.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 07:59:41 pm by komnaes »
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 12:17:12 pm »
Given the tone of this election, I actually expect to see some violence, because many McCain supporters are outright racists and bigots.  When you wonder why our HIV services are underfunded, just remember these people, because they represents millions of Americans, who also think the same way about people with HIV.  Add gay or drug-user to the mix and you have a veritable hate fest.  What voters think, not only affects elections, it influences major policy decisions because representatives are often swayed by their extreme views.

I believe that there will be violence with this election.  I also believe, that if anything happens to Senator Obama, within the next year, both John McCain and Sarah Palin will have blood on their hands.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 02:21:57 pm »
I believe that there will be violence with this election.

I still think it's disingenuous and a lot of hyperbole to suggest that in a world where people have truly suffered violence during their elections (Bosnia, Iraq, Pakistan) that this American election will be the first in over 100 yrs to be violent. Sure those were hate-filled bigots screaming epithets; but I've heard worse at pro-ball games, and by kids walking the streets in my neighborhood. (It's sad to say, but civility has gone out the window for many Americans.)

After the last 30 yrs, I think many Americans are too apathetic to go vote, much less engage in violence during this election. It's not the 60s anymore, and no "revolution" is brewing. Barely 54% of eligible Americans have voted during the last four decades of presidential elections, and it's even a smaller percentage of those 54% that might possibly instigate violence. In today's more "secure" America, I'm sure there are plenty of police around polling locations to arrest anyone who would be so foolish as to start violence.

I am not saying that I approve or agree with those "agitated" people in those videos. They, and their ideas and opinions, do scare me. However, I saw nothing but Americans exercising their right to free speech (we could have a debate about where to draw a line for "free speech" vs "hate speech" in a different thread). No one in those vids were committing any criminal acts or violence. Like most bullies, the vast majority of those people are all bluster and would never risk a physical confrontation. Suggesting that violence might erupt at the voting polls strikes me instead more as some neocon scare tactic to keep people from going to the polls. I'm sure that's not what you meant to do ;) ; but that is the message you convey when you suggest that violence could occur during voting.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 04:58:24 pm »
Maybe I should have used the term "physical altercation", but I still think there will be episodes at some of the polls.  I might have a skewed view, but I lived in Detroit in 1966 and far too many white residents, were just as angry and ugly, regarding blacks and that led to the riots of 1967.  I want to believe that it will not happen again, however, there is so much emphasis on violence in America, and I believe that, far too many people see it as a reasonable reaction.  Even our president advocates a strike first mentality.

I have also been dismayed by the tenor of this election, as I am comparing the presidential race in America, to the race for prime minister in Canada.  Political advertising in Canada is so polite, you hardly know you are watching an ad.  I watch the rallies and debates in Canada and never are there personal attacks on any of the candidates.  I think Americans are at a breaking point, and who can blame them.  Our government has failed us and now we have candidates inciting hateful behavior on the part of voters.  With all the tensions and pressure, I am afraid that someone will blow up. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 05:00:21 pm by killfoile »

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 05:27:11 pm »
I have also been dismayed by the tenor of this election, as I am comparing the presidential race in America, to the race for prime minister in Canada.  Political advertising in Canada is so polite, you hardly know you are watching an ad.  I watch the rallies and debates in Canada and never are there personal attacks on any of the candidates.  I think Americans are at a breaking point, and who can blame them.  Our government has failed us and now we have candidates inciting hateful behavior on the part of voters.  With all the tensions and pressure, I am afraid that someone will blow up. 

Is this the same Canada where people with a Liberal yard sign in their front yard are now checking under their cars to see if someone cut the brake lines?

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/10/10/america/toronto.php

Sorry, couldn't resist ;) -- I do think that the idea of widespread violence in either the US or Canadian elections is pretty unlikely.

A

5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 11:38:15 pm »
I think it was on the Katie Couric interview with Gov. Soccer Mom Interview...

What would a maverick do to solve this problem?

Well first, we would decide what a maverick would do and then do that...

Never waste perfectly good lipstick on a pig  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.