Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:42:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 265
Total: 266

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: every bit helps i guess  (Read 3588 times)

Offline zach

every bit helps i guess
« on: October 31, 2011, 11:13:36 pm »
so i did the lab thing, vl ud, cd4 225, 20%

i'm not exactly thrilled with these numbers. my last three labs have been 217, 220, and now 225.

trying to look on the bright side, at least it is improvement, and my vl is still ud

Offline buginme2

Re: every bit helps i guess
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 12:48:00 am »
Has your cd4 percentage changed at all over your last 3 tests?  How far apart were they taken?
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 10:40:53 am »

Being that you started out with a Cd4 count of 8 and just started meds a little more than a year ago I would say you are doing pretty well....
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 12:25:56 pm »
Being that you started out with a Cd4 count of 8
I totally agree with Skee. You've made great improvements.

There are studies out that show that people who reach a very low nadir (that's the lowest point) of cd4 counts often never recover very high and can take a long time to reach their new high point. It's just par for the course of having your immune system so wrecked before getting treatment.

Of course, everyone is different, so the results vary. You may get more improvement as this next year goes along or it may take a longer time. I had a low cd4 count of 7 and it took 16 yrs to reach 300. I averaged about 225 over the last decade and haven't been back in the hospital in 14 yrs., nor very sick. It's just been this year (that's after 19 yrs of meds) that I seem to be holding constant now in the very low 300s

In the end it's not always about how many cd4s you have but how well they work.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 04:03:37 pm »
Zach, having a CD4 of 225 after starting at 8 is an amazing improvement, dont get down over this.  ;)

Quite frankly I felt better when I had a CD4 of 350 versus now of 812, lol.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline zach

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 04:34:36 pm »
and that is what its all about right, i feel great, and haven't been sick, so fk the numbers

we've talked about those studies before, and i've wrapped my head around the reality, it's just unpalatable truth i guess, and a part of me keeps looking for more

its not apathy, its bitterness i think  >:(

dr tells me these numbers like i should be feeling sick, and i resent it

zach (an angry poster child for the balm of gilead)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 04:50:17 pm »
and that is what its all about right, i feel great, and haven't been sick, so fk the numbers

we've talked about those studies before, and i've wrapped my head around the reality, it's just unpalatable truth i guess, and a part of me keeps looking for more

its not apathy, its bitterness i think  >:(

dr tells me these numbers like i should be feeling sick, and i resent it

zach (an angry poster child for the balm of gilead)

Hey Zach,

Maybe the numbers wouldn't upset you so much, if you could see how well you have really done.  My low CD4 was 4 and it took me 16 years to reach the 200 level.  So compared to me, you are like superman, but what really matters is the drugs are working, your numbers are improving and you feel better.  Try to never lose sight of your goal, the numbers are just an indicator and in your case all indications are heading in the right direction.

Zach, HIV is for life, so don't let the little things eat at you.  Sometimes we may want things quicker than humanly possible, but the goal is to become healthier, which you are, so what exactly are you complaining about?  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline zach

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 05:06:43 pm »
so what exactly are you complaining about?  ;D  ;D  ;D

shuffles feet sheepishly  :-[

joe, i think i'm just complaining about being poz

i'm not quite putting my head in the sand, but i avoid thinking about the numbers because they do eat at me. atripla works, i feel great. the numbers feel like an intrusion (or a reality check)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 06:55:27 pm »
shuffles feet sheepishly  :-[

joe, i think i'm just complaining about being poz

i'm not quite putting my head in the sand, but i avoid thinking about the numbers because they do eat at me. atripla works, i feel great. the numbers feel like an intrusion (or a reality check)

They feel like a reality check because they are and the reality is you are getting better.  I encourage you to look for signs that support how you feel physically, instead of how you might look on paper.  Zach, you had 8 CD4s and now you have 225.  Read that as many times as you need to, until it settles in that you are getting better.  No matter what has happened, you started meds, they are working and you are regaining your health.  When you think about the damage your system has recovered from, it is very encouraging as a trend and I expect your counts will continue to rise.

Zach, complaining is normal and even healthy, because we face many challenges.  But if you really want to live with HIV, don't give it one more second of your time than what it absolutely demands.  You have HIV, it does not have you, unless you allow it to happen.

Joe

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.