Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:52:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 414
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 410
Total: 411

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How I view my Life with AIDs  (Read 5326 times)

Offline slimbimale

• Tested Oct 21 1994 ( A New Life Begins )
How I view my Life with AIDs
« on: September 29, 2006, 02:29:55 am »

Hi My name is Jim and this is how I view my life with AIDS

I am coming up on 12 yrs of Living with AIDS ( Or as I say AIDS has to live with me and that can be a Bitch )..Oct 21 1994 ..about 2.10 pm Friday afternoon ..I tested Poz for what back then was called " Full Blown AIDS " Some still say it today ..some say Advance AIDS ..but that's another blog ....lol...I tested with 34 T cells and my % was 2 ..They didn't do Viral Loads back then ..And I was told that I had between 6 months to a year to live ..Because back then with those kinds of numbers ...that's about all the avg person did live ..Before this day I never knew any one that was living with HIV/AIDS or anyone that pasted from it ..It was all new to me , I knew AZT was one of the drugs people took for it and I knew some of the ways a person contracted the Virus and that's about it ..As you can Imagine..I was one scared young man ..Exactly one month before my 31 Birthday I had to deal with a Killer I didn't know much about ...Except at that time , It was a death sentence ..I was Feeling and Dealing with Every kind of emotion there was ..And they came in with Avengeans...And they came is all at once ..I was Scared and Angry at the same time ..Scared of the fact death was at my Door step and Angry enough that if the person infected me was standing there I would have pulled the trigger and never thought twice about it .( And I had a 40 cali hand gun in the car at that time ) Sitting in my car in the Doctors parking lot ..I knew then I was going to need help with this one ..So I said aloud " GOD I NEED YOUR HELP " And within Minutes..I Starting thinking clearer and calming down enough that I went on to work ..( I worked 2nd shift at that time ) had to be there at 3.30 pm ,  and I  was still on time for work ...lol....I checked the local paper for support groups and walked in one that Sunday evening ...Over the years my views and Opinions of HIV/AIDS...changed ..At first I wanted nothing to do with sex ..It was sex that got me  here in the first place , Then came a time that I would only date people that was POZ ..And that lasted for a long time ...The last thing I wanted to do was to put someone that I love at risk for Infection,  and To go through this to ..Then came a point where I not only Accepted  death ..But also Accepted Myself and My life with AIDS ..And I was determined NOT to let AIDS tell me How I was going to Live , How I was going to Die or Who I was going to spend my Life with ...AIDS is a part of me ..I am not a part of AIDS ..And during these years ..AIDS taught me that My life, My Friends and Family , And Everything In my Life from the Air that I breath to the water that I drink ..The sun that's Shines and the Rain that falls ..To the Colors of everything in the world when I look at it ..It's  ALL a BLESSING ...And not to take nothing for granted ..Today was a gift ..Tomorrow is Promised to no one ...AIDS is my little Buddy ..it goes with me everywhere I go ..See's  and does what I do ..But ..It has to live with me and that can be it's worse nightmare ..Because that's not an easy thing to do ...lol....And yes ..AIDS took a lot of friends away ..Caused a lot of pain ....But I also look at  .. Who is the one in pain ???? Who is here dealing with all of the problems of everyday life ???Their  pain is gone ..And so are their problems ....I guess because I have Accepted Death is a part of Life ..It doesn't  strike that fear in  me , that I see it has on some people ..Yes I will still cry and hurt when Someone I know or Love passes on ..But I remind myself Where they are ...And where I am ..
Let Go and Let GOD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: How I view my Life with AIDs
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 08:26:47 am »
Hi Jim,

I am touched by reading what you've written. You paint a very clear picture on how things began and how they have evolved.

That's a powerful journey you have described. You've developed a great perspective about your relationship with HIV and more importantly with life in general.

I'm glad you found your way to our site. I hope you will visit us again whenever you want to and that you'll  feel free to ask any questions you may have or to discuss anything that's on your mind.

Welcome!

Andy Velez

Offline Nadine

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 08:44:48 pm »
Hello Jim, welcome to our family.

I was very touched by your story, thank you!

Offline Eldon

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 08:47:46 pm »
Hello Jim, it is Eldon.

I wanted to take a moment to WELCOME you to the HIV/AIDS forum family. As you have probably read, there is a lot of understanding, communication, support, some cries, some laughter, and many answers relating to HIV/AIDS. This site has a lot of information at your disposal. We have a great group of individuals who will listen as well as answer you. Feel free to come and share from time-to-time with whatever is on your mind.

The forums is an excellent way to add to your current support system.

Again Welcome! and make the BEST of each Day!

Offline poobear

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 10:18:37 pm »
Welcome Jim,
       I am touched by your story.  I also was diagnosed in 1994 but in June.  I appreciate your outlook on life.  It is refreshing to me.  Well you must be doing something right.  I hope to hear more from you.  Rachel  ;D

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 11:58:38 pm »
Hi Jim

Welcome to the family.

Just like everyone else your story touched me...that's one hell of a journey you've been on..and like all weary travellers who have had enough of running around not always knowing in what direction they are going you have found a place to settle down, a place of comfort and a place you can be happy...."Welcome home".

You have an amazing attitude,  best medicine on the market as far as I'm concerned, I'm glad you found your way to the forums and look forward to hearing more from you.

Hugs
Jan :-*
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 12:00:46 am by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 09:25:29 am »
Hey Jim,

You have eloquently put what I have been telling people for years: Live each day as if it were your last, take nothing for granted and let tomorrow take care of itself.

Thank you for the reminder. While our stories are a tad different (mine started in 1985), I believe we view our situations very similarly.

Welcome to the forums here and our family. Glad you have joined and I look forward to hearing more from you.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 09:32:39 am »
Bravo Jim... And Welcome..

Offline siongi

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 09:18:43 am »
This is indeed well said!

Thanks for being here and let us have more of your experience.

Cheers!

Offline slimbimale

• Tested Oct 21 1994 ( A New Life Begins )
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 02:04:15 am »
THANK YOU... to everyone for your comments ..I appreciate you taking the time out to read  my blog ..and THANK YOU for welcoming  me to this family ..we are a family ..no matter what are difference's are ..were all in the same boat together ..One thing I have learned in the last 12 years people are people and we all need love, help and support from time to time ...No matter if were infected or affected ..Were all in this fight together ..THANKS again...

((((((((((((((hugs to you all ))))))))))))))))

Jim
Let Go and Let GOD

Offline bedder1

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 03:47:51 am »
to put it simply Jim,  THANKYOU
theres only us
theres only this
forget regret
or life is yours to miss
no other road
no other way
no day but today!

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 06:40:22 am »
Jim,

I didn't get a chance to welcome you to the forums yet.  I generally read the boards first thing in the morning when my brain isn't quite functioning yet.

Sounds to me that your experiences have helped you to develop into a new person, and someone who values life.

Life is a journey, but not on a straight path.  There will be bumps and twists in the road.  Make sure you wear your seatbelt!

Have a wonderful day!
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline catwoman

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 08:48:01 am »
Thank you!

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 08:59:22 am »
Hey Jim,

Well said! Welcome aboard. I am glad you are here.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 12:20:29 am »
Thank you for your beautiful words. Welcome  :-*

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 08:45:48 am »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 09:45:29 pm by emeraldize »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.