Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 10:30:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773453
  • Total Topics: 66366
  • Online Today: 367
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 336
Total: 336

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Restless Leg Syndrome RSL  (Read 10676 times)

Offline Loa111

Restless Leg Syndrome RSL
« on: March 02, 2023, 04:33:20 am »
Does anyone on here experience Restless Leg Syndrome RSL?

RSL has been bothering me the last few years since DX, just in my left leg and it comes on at nighttime usually a couple of hours before bedtime. I'm continually kicking out & shaking my leg in bed before I get to sleep. It is not painful, it's just a weird uncomfortable sensation.

I do not know if me having an advanced DX a few years ago caused it or not, damage from being sick with advanced hiv? I did mention it to the ID Doc before, they ran blood tests for diabetes & a few other tests which came back clear.  Or it could be genetic, as I remember my grandmother used to be jumping around years ago complaining of strange feelings in her leg.

Either way it is annoying & I'd love to get rid of it! 

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Restless Leg Syndrome RSL
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 05:50:17 am »
Not a clue, but I hope it can be resolved, as it obviously is bothering you.

I do not know if me having an advanced DX a few years ago caused it or not, damage from being sick with advanced hiv?

Yeah, HIV itself can cause issues like neuropathy etc. It could be HIV or an infection you picked up when sick did some damage; I can't say.

Keep us posted, it will be interesting to hear if you find a solution to the problem.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 04:42:11 pm »
Hi,

Read this article from the Cleveland Clinic, and see if there are questions you can get out of it, to talk to your Doctor about. I think this is an informative article on RLS.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/9497-restless-legs-syndrome#:~:text=People%20of%20any%20age%2C%20including,United%20States%20population%20has%20RLS.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 04:44:53 pm »

And yes, you are right.  It could be genetic.
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Loa111

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 04:59:59 am »
Thanks folks. That's a good article on RSL.

I do try natural methods to ease it, like walking/gym at night, and I must get back on the magnesium supplements, I ready too that calicated magnesium can help one sleep.

It's an incredibly annoying issue. My wife gets annoyed with me as she is trying to sleep, I am shaking & moving my leg around to try ease it. 

Offline Shazam9cd4

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2023, 10:54:24 am »
How is your restless leg syndrome going?   About 8 months Prior to being diagnosed i developed a serious bout if restless leg syndome.  Prior to then  I would on occasion get RLS when flying.  Anyone who experiences RLs knows how annoying and uncomfortable it can be.  Like an internal tickling/itching that prevents you from being still.  Early in i found  if i took an aspirin before a flight I would never get RLS.   So not a major issue until last year.

Then it slowly started effecting me at home without flying always at night when lying down to sleep.  Id have to get up from bed and stretch and stretch and stretch.  Sleep became very challenging and this was impacting me 3-4 nights a week. 

Finally my GP  prescribed Pregabalin and this stopped it completely!  Was a life saver.  A few months later i was in the hospital and diagnosed poz. Its hard to say RLS got worse because of the impact of HiV but i suspect so.  Docs dont know much about the cause of RLS.  Some indicate iron deficiency is the culprit.  If you havent found a solution id recommend trying pregabalin but be careful with dosage. I was on 150mg a only at night.  I was on it a few months and missed one night.  What a horrible night and my first experience with drug withdrawals.  The intense and overwhelming feelings of anxiety dissappeared as soon as i took the next dose.  And from that point i cut back to 75mg.   After my diagnosis,  a month hospital stay and a couple months more of all the meds they were giving me (brintillex,  immovane,  xanax) I slowly weaned myself off all of those addictive meds. (That wasnt easy).  I decided to also try getting off  Pregablin which came last and frankly was the easiest to get
Off - and relatively quickly.  However, my RLS came back albeit not as seriously. I experimented with doses and found 25mg was sufficient to eliminate RLS.   After what is now a year after my ooz diagnosis i no longer Need daily pregabilin.  So perhaps it is related aomehow to immune function.   These days i will still take pregabalin
once a week to help me sleep or on the odd occasion i might feel RLS.

Would be curious to know if you found any other solutions? 

Offline Loa111

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 07:20:48 am »
Hi Shazam9cd4,

Yes the RLS is still niggling away at me many nights. Last check up with my ID Doc, we decided that if I can keep tolerating it and it does not become more acute, then it is better to stay away from meds to ease it.

I did tell the doc I read that paracetamol is supposed to ease it, but not proven either, so doc said no harm to pop a paracetamol if I think it helps, just not to take any more than 4 per day (which I'd never do anyway). Doc assured me there will be no long term effects or damage from taking a paracetamol each evening.

Does Pregabalin also have an anxiety calming effect like a Valium or Xanax?

I know myself if I was able to have a Valium or Xanax each night then for sure that would ease my RLS, however doctors in my country will not prescribe these type of meds at all unless there is a major major reason.

Offline Shazam9cd4

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2023, 07:09:50 am »
Hi! Loa111- i dont know about a calming impact per se other than the calming impact of not having restless leg and getting a good night sleep!  It is usually prescribed to treat neuropathic pain.  I believe my low non addictive dose is much more safe than xanax or others.  I am mostly over the RLS but on a rare occasion take the lowest
 dose (25mg) if i sense the RLS coming on.   I also take 75mg one night a week max for a good night sleep (if i havent been sleeping well).  Docs are all ok with this program i laid out.  And its non -addictive. And the infrequency doesnt build a tolerance so im assured that nights good rest!

I also have on hand immovane in event i took my weekly pregabalin and cant sleep a couple nights in a row, and have xanax also on hand in case i am feeling particularly anxious with lots going (i dont use for sleep) .  I limit xanax to half the standard pill and once a week at most.   Xanax was hard to come off after the hospital and i dont want to go back there.  Immovane is the one docs dont like to prescribe because of its quite addictive qualities.  But they are ok with my once a week plan (at most) combined with my xanax,  and lyrica plan.   

I dont recomend anyone follow this plan without docs advise but it works for me  and  my docs all well on board with this.  They know im analytical and dont have an addictive personality.  Important to know yourself and recognize any danger signals to over use.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.