Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 10, 2024, 05:32:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37630
  • Latest: Haziq
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773105
  • Total Topics: 66327
  • Online Today: 380
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 127
Total: 127

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Visiting UK  (Read 9672 times)

Offline gaz41

Visiting UK
« on: October 31, 2006, 02:15:38 pm »
I shall be visiting the uK from Germany in November, its my first visit since security was stepped up ...can I still carry my meds in my hand luggage ...do i need somthing from my doc to say they are prescribed ?

If anyone knows just send me a quick note

all the best   

Garry

Offline simon695

Re: Visiting UK
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 02:26:11 pm »
Only Liquids ANd Gels ARe Not Allowed
No Perscription Necessary For Pills.
To Be Sure  Check The British Airways WEbsite
Has All The Details.
www.ba.com

Have Fun
                  Si

Offline RobT

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 12:20:30 am »
I have the same question of what is or is not allowed during the heightened security measures. I will b visiting the UK during the periods of December 7th thru January 3rd. Shud I contact the BA website for the details?

RobT

Current meds: Truvada/ Sustiva
VL: undetectable
CD4: 564
Current meds: Atripla
VL: undetectable
CD4: 630

Offline carousel

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 05:58:21 am »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 11:27:08 am by carousel »

Offline simon695

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 01:26:43 pm »
Update!
A New Email Frome British Airways Today Said
From November The 6th The Rules Have Been
Relaxed Within The Eu On Travelling,Altough
They Are Very Precise About Quantaties And Substances.
              Look Again At There Website.
                             Si
P.S I Will Probably Be Broke Soon Due To The Constant
Changes In Onboard Baggage Sizes And Me Complying.
I Have More Bags Than Imelda Marcos Had Shoes.
But I Am Looking For Matching Shoes ANd Belts.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 03:55:05 pm »
Don't know the answer for sure, but when I was coming back to the UK from the US....one guy checking in had to place his meds in his checked luggage, except for what was needed for the flight (plus a few days).  But he made the mistake of telling them he had his meds.  I don't think they were too interested in determining how much meds you have.

So I think you're okay.

But word on the street is that the EU is now going to make the same restrictions for every airport in the EU, not just the UK.  So that security is harmonized across the continent.  So folks traveling in general may be impacted by these new rules.

Offline BassMan

• Gran Canaria 2006
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 10:12:06 am »
I've recently travelled outside the country to Spain. I had all my medication in my hand luggage, which must have been highly visible to the airport scanners when going through security. No questions were asked, either leaving the UK, entering Spain, or returning to the UK.

A friend of mine recently had a bit of bother returning to the UK from India. The whole heightened security thing had kicked off while he was away, and he didn't have a copy of his prescription, even though his name was on the med bottles. They called a medic and after a bit of umming and ahhing, the airline did allow him to carry them in his hand luggage.

I think the bottom line is that as long as the meds are clearly labelled with your name on the pharmacy label, and that you have a copy of your prescription and/or a letter from your doctor explaining that the meds are needed on a daily basis for a chronic condition, you will be fine.

Carl
Manchester
UK
Diagnosed December 2002
CD4 810 VL 750,000

Started meds October 2004
CD4 405 VL >100,000

Latest Results: October 2009
CD4 888 38%, VL undetectable
on fosamprenavir/ritonavir & Truvada

VL undetectable since November 2005

Offline Just John

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 06:55:09 pm »
But word on the street is that the EU is now going to make the same restrictions for every airport in the EU,,

If this ends up like almost any other E.U. regulation introduced so far, I feel so sorry for any regular traveller.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 06:56:57 pm by Just John »
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Offline gaz41

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 02:34:36 am »
Thanks for the tips, it seems like these restrictions will become EU-Norm , saw soething about it in the local press.

Myname isn´t on my meds , German pharmacis just give out the meds in the original packing, i´ll take them in hand luggage i can´t run the risk of the meds going astray with the main baggage an then the hassle of trying to get replacements in the UK 

Garry

Offline Erico

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 01:44:31 am »
Hi Garry,

I just read an article about it, according to the new regulation, you can carry your meds in your hand luggage, but you should take your doc's written prescripition (Rezept) with you (see link below)

Gute Reise  ;)

Erico

http://www.krankenkassenratgeber.de/news-details/aktuelle-news/handgepaeck-ohne-medikamente/2006-10-16/9423/?index=0&catchword=&year=

Offline eastvanoso

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 07:19:27 pm »
hey, new here. this is my first. anyway we' re off to the uk this summer and were worried about taking hiv meds with us but reading these posts you have answered our questions. we were actually worried about taking any hiv meds with us at all. we're also going to spain.
but it seems nothing like the usa where they won't let you in if your hiv +

canadians here///

Offline paradise

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 08:46:47 pm »
travelled to london and asia last year. put all my meds in my carry on bag, i'm scared that they will misplace my checked in bags which have happened before my diagnosis, so im paranoid about my meds when i travel. coming back to the us of a, i was topped at the gatwick(london) terminal airport. securities went thru my bags...and they're very serious, but i should say very professional in handling it. i did not bring my prescriptions, but all the bottles are labeled. they did not even try to look what's inside those bottles, which was a relief. bec. my travelling companion didnt have a clue.....and just a few steps away. good luck and enjoy. btw...i love london......brits are friendlier than....   
have fun!!!!

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 01:56:02 pm »
I have always been like a mobile pharmacy even before HIV. I have never been asked anything and I am a flight attendant so I am constantly passing security controls at the airports.
In europe there are no restrictions to HIV passengers. Even if you shout it out loud at the airport nothing would happen, except some people staring at you...
Always carry your meds in your hand luggage. If your checked luggage gets lost it can take several days to find it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 01:58:07 pm by blondbeauty »
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 07:24:36 pm »
See:

Dept of Transport: security requirements for all passengers departing from UK airports

Heathrow airport: security information

Meds are allowed, but if in containers over 100 mL need athentication (whatever that is) for hand luggage or checking in the hold.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline xtente

I have been to the UK three times since december meds in tow
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 12:59:52 pm »
all you have to do is put them in a multiviatmin bottle and you are fine. Dont put them in your carry on luggage though. Just put them in the bags you check in and you will be fine. I can tell you from firsthand experience you wont have any problem

Offline Dachshund

Re: I have been to the UK three times since december meds in tow
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 01:20:35 pm »
all you have to do is put them in a multiviatmin bottle and you are fine. Dont put them in your carry on luggage though. Just put them in the bags you check in and you will be fine. I can tell you from firsthand experience you wont have any problem

I am not sure this is good advice. Checked baggage is much more likely to be misplaced or lost in route. I carry my meds with me in my carry on luggage in the proper bottles with a copy of the prescription from my doctor in my wallet. Check travel restrictions for the countries you are traveling to and all should go well. Well meaning deception may get you in more trouble than it is worth.

Offline xtente

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 01:28:00 pm »
As I said, I have been to the UK three times in the past six months. i am speaking from experience. The best way to do it is to put it in your luggage. Its not illegal, and avoids a LOT of problems. Its a very UNCOMPLIATED thing. Lets not complicate it with opinions. I have been ALL over the world with my meds, Aruba, Lond, Paris, Italy, South America, you name it. No problems. Period. there is no deception in putting your meds in a vitamin bottle. If you dont want the world to know your status that is your right. its not some sneaky illegal thing. Aids meds are NOT controlled substances like Vicodin. Think about it.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 01:41:07 pm »
Sorry friend, but you should not suggest that someone do something illegal just because you do. My friend was detained at Gatwick for over eight hours for doing exactly what you suggested and his meds were confiscated. I have no problem with you traveling however you see fit but there are risks involved in your suggestions including lost luggage. Personally, I don't give a rat's patootie how any one chooses to travel with their meds just as long as they know the facts and can make their own informed choices. By the way, welcome to the forums.

Offline keyite

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 01:49:06 pm »
Dachshund is right. I've certainly had my baggage misrouted on more than one occasion, taking anything from one to five days before I was reunited with it. If you were to put ALL your meds in the checked baggage you would be faced with quite a problem if your baggage was temporarily (or even permanently) lost. Neither am I so sure customs look sympathetically on people who misrepresent meds. You have been lucky so far, xtente - and welcome to the forums!

Offline xtente

Daschund, stop with the dramatics its NOT illegal
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 02:45:11 pm »
and for the record, ALL you have to do is TAKE the PRESCRIPTION with you JUST IN CASE. The REASON i put my meds in a vitamin bottle is because I put ALL THREE MEDS in the BIGGER vitaming bottle, that way i dont have to carry a zillion bottles of this and a zillion bottles of that. I found quite by accident that this makes traveling with them easier.

let me say this at high volume since I said it before and people overlooked it for whatever reason:

AIDS MEDS ARE NOT A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE AND THEREFORE, PUTTING THEM IN YOUR LUGGAGE IS NOT A CRIME.

I observed this foum before I joined and noticed that at times, there is a bit of hysteria, that is people are highly emotional. That made me hesitant to join. Anyway, traveling to the UK with your meds and anywhere else isnt a big deal. If you want to disclose, then disclose, if you want to put the meds in your luggage, then do that, but putting them in your luggage is NOT illegal. My wife and I put LUBE, toohpaste and all other sorts of stuff in our luggage. Since aids meds are NOT a recreational drug and are NOT a controlled substance there is nothing ILLEGAL about putting them in your luggage. End of story.

Happy traveling!

« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 02:48:19 pm by xtente »

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 02:56:33 pm »
I work for an airline and I know how long it can take to find a lost suit case. Sometimes they are never found...and it is not very unsusual to have them delivered on a later flight if your connecting time is too short. If you arrive at Madrid airport with less than one hour of time for your next flight I can assure you your luggage wont be on time on your next plane and therefore, delivered on the next flight, maybe the next day.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 03:12:05 pm »
Hi,

as I regularly travel with meds and liquids over 100ml through European airports I thought I'd chime in.

1) You can take as much meds on board the plane as you wish. Just have your prescription with you. In fact I ask my doc to give me a paper that states clearly that I need the medicine that is on the list and the list includes everything I take or carry in case of emergency (yes, that includes Imodium and such).

2) You do not have to state your condition and no one should ask. Customs officers are not supposed to ask you what your ailment is as it is not their right.

3) I don't think hiding your meds in unmarked or different bottles is a good idea; this is what people smuggling E's and other shit do. Unless you want to visit the local jail, carry the original boxes or at least a shred of the box with the med's name.

4) Putting any meds in your main piece of luggage is not advised, what with the hundreds of thousands of lost and misdirected luggage we have each year. You don't want to stress for that dose that ended up in Australia when you actually went for a skiing holiday to Austria...

5) Liquids: If it is clearly medicine and you can prove it and have a prescription, there should not be any problem for you to take it on board, even if it is larger than 100ml. I've done the trip with 500ml plastic bottle without problems. Again, concealing is not advised.

In my experience this has worked going to the Netherlands, France, Switzerland, UK and Thailand.

hope this helps

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline keyite

Re: Daschund, stop with the dramatics its NOT illegal
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2007, 03:22:05 pm »
AIDS MEDS ARE NOT A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE

Of course they are controlled substances. Why do you think you need a prescription to get them?

The following excerpt from Positive Nation - http://www.positivenation.co.uk/issue102/features/feature3/feature3.htm - gives a good idea why misrepresenting meds is likely to be met with suspicion by customs:

...a tip from Dr Mike Youle, of the Royal Free Hospital, Hampstead, based upon his own patients’ experience: “Remember to take a copy of your current prescription and a travel letter just in case your medication is uncovered in customs. This is nothing to do with HIV stigmatisation, but in many countries, where anti-retrovirals are scarce, you will need to be able to prove that the drugs are yours and for your own use and that you are not importing onto the black market.”

I see nothing 'emotional' or 'hysterical' about Dachshund ensuring people get the best possible advice before travelling. As Dachhund's friend found out, getting it wrong can have grave consequences.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 04:24:55 pm »
AIDS MEDS ARE NOT A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE AND THEREFORE, PUTTING THEM IN YOUR LUGGAGE IS NOT A CRIME.

Sorry Doll. Aunty Doxie is many things, but he's not wrong. Any drug which requires a doctors prescription is a controlled substance. The authorities control the possession and distribution of the substance by way of doctors' prescription.

So put the megaphone down, eh? ;)

MtD

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 04:40:17 pm »
Wow, talk about emotional. I think several reasonable and rational responses have been posted...well thought out and succinct. No one at any time said it was illegal to put them in your luggage...it is illegal to transfer them in different bottles. I do appreciate all the legal advice from the aidsmeds attorneys of the law firm  Dewey Cheetam and Howe.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 04:44:57 pm by Dachshund »

Offline xtente

sorry but aids meds are NOT controlled substances
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2007, 04:51:32 pm »
here is the definition of a controlled substance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_Substances_Act

and btw, my cousin is a brit and works at the embassy. called him up and was told that if you choose to, for example, put your meds in a CRUSHPROOF vitamin bottle, and are carrying a prescriiption JUST IN CASE you get stopped, there is NO PROBLEM with that.

As I said to the person traveling to the UK, have a great trip. Taking your meds abroad wont be a problem! The problem may happen when small minded ppl discover you are +

Offline keyite

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2007, 05:01:21 pm »
I'm a fan of Wikipedia too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_substance

"A controlled substance is a drug or chemical whose manufacture, possession and use are regulated by a government. This may include Illegal drugs and Prescription medications (designated Controlled Drug in the United Kingdom)."

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2007, 05:04:02 pm »
Xtente,

Essential rule of Teh Interwebs. Anyone who quotes Wackypedia as an authoritative source automatically loses the debate.

Sorry doll! :-*

MtD

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2007, 05:13:10 pm »
BTW my cousin is the Queen of England and she says off with your head. This is silly and hardly rises to the level of drama, travel as you like, how you like, and others will make their own informed decisions. No need to get sticky about it doll. :-* 

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2007, 06:48:22 am »
HIV meds are scheduled substance in the UK, as are all prescription meds.  Keep them in the original bottles and get no questions asked, decant them and they may be taken away, with you, for analysis to confirm they are not heroin or the like, or for a long wait while yor doc confirms yo are entitled to carry them, if you are unlucky.

Meds in hand luggage is always safer, airlines do lose bags, especially it seems, our national flag carrier BA, and the luggage handlers at Heathrow (sez matt from personal experience).

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Cliff

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2007, 07:03:16 am »
Meds in hand luggage is always safer, airlines do lose bags, especially it seems, our national flag carrier BA, and the luggage handlers at Heathrow (sez matt from personal experience).
...so says the AEA, which ranked BA last among all Euro carriers for lost baggage.  But then again, BA is the most profitable airline in the world.  So there you go...profits before reliability.

I used to hide my meds in vitamin bottles too, but not anymore.  I wouldn't put them in checked luggage either.  While it may be technically legal, it sure can lead to a lot of hassels if you're unlucky enough to get picked for searching.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.