Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:39:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 346
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Loss of libido  (Read 14261 times)

Offline SouthSam7

Loss of libido
« on: July 30, 2006, 11:37:22 pm »
Can anyone comment on this? I've read it may be somewhat common, but I've never personally known anyone other than me to experience this.  I've been on meds about 6 months and I have no sex drive at all.  I am male 38 years old.  Thanks,  Sam in 'bama

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Loss of libido
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 12:28:34 am »
Hey Sam,

Well, yep, I've experienced it. What I found is its more of a mental block in my case rather than a physcial side effect of my meds.

It took me a while to over come it, pardon the double entendre. For the longest time, I didn't even think of sex.

Then, when I did become interested again, I couldn't "function," if you know what I mean. I could get things started, but couldn't finish what I had started.

That passed eventually.

Hope your's doesn't last as long as mine did. Had I known then what I know now, I would have sought out counseling.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 12:55:43 am »
Loss of libido (or sexual dysfunction generally) could be caused by a number of different factors, either individually or in combination. Could be that:

1. Undiagnosed or untreated depression. Loss of libido is in fact one of the diagnostic criteria for determining whether a person is depressed or not. Anxiety and guilt can also be "downers."

2. Hypogonadism -- low levels of testosterone (caused either by the meds you take or HIV itself).

3. ARVs. There's been some, inconclusive, research to suggest that anti-retrovirals are associated with sexual dysfunction. Out of three studies published in JAIDS in 2002, two found some association between protease inhibitors and sexual dysfunction (one of these studies found ritonavir, Norvir, to be the biggest "culprit"), the third didn't find a link.

4. Use of certain anti-depressants or drugs used to treat high BP and cholesterol.

5. Excessive use of recreational drugs and alcohol.

So much for the possible causes. Sorry to hear about your problem. I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that the loss of libido occurred only after you tested positive and started taking meds. Have you spoken to your doctor about it, or a therapist? That's a first step; and I'd also suggest that you get your testosterone levels checked (total as well as free) -- if they're low or low-normal (within the parameters for your age), supplementation is an option.

Here's hoping you have constant erections, and a rampaging sex life, soon enough.  ;)

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 01:15:23 am »
Hey Sam,

Sorry to hear about the problem, but I've been there dozens of times over the years.  One thing that really works for me is to supplement my Testosterone each week, because even though I test at a normal level, my normal level is way too low for me to function sexually.  Ask your doc if he/she has done a test for test and even if you test normal, maybe try supplementing for a month to see if it makes a difference.

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 01:29:27 am »
Joe,

Would you mind sharing the specifics of your normal level and weekly supplementation dose? Thanks.

Jay

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 01:33:16 am by lydgate »
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

Offline SouthSam7

Re: Loss of libido reply to lydgate and others
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 01:49:55 am »
First let me thank you all for your replies; in my 8 months of diagnosis and treatment, this is where I turn first when I have a question or when I feel alone. 

To Lydgate: You assumed correctly.  I began losing my libido since diagnosis and beginning meds (both happened within a month of each other because of my high vl and low cd4 count), and it is now completely gone and has been since about two months after I was diagnosed / began meds.  I feel like a Eunuch.  I will talk to my doc about it and try to get it treated.  The irony is that I've been pretty up about my good numbers lately. 

Thanks again, Sam

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 02:29:27 am »
Hey Jay,

Here's a quick primer on Testosterone testing, ranges and my numbers.

Test is represented with three measurements:

Test - total: reference range 260-1000 (my #s are 800 w/o supplement and in the 1,800 range with)
% free test: ref range: 1.0 - 2.7 (my #s are 1.2 w/o supplement and around 2.9 with)
Test - free: ref range 50 - 210 (my #s are 120 w/o supplement and around 425 with)

Granted my numbers look really high, but the difference in my energy and libido are impressive.  Some doctors will resist using test as a supplement, but you won't know unless you try and it's a pretty cheap way to get some extra energy.

Test comes in a few variations for injecting or a gel like Androgel that you would use every day.  If you take your test intramuscular, generally once per week, you may experience peaks and valleys in your levels, because you will get a very high level right after the shot and this will then diminish until your next shot 7 days later.  Some find the daily gel works better for them, because it delivers a more steady dose, but all that matters is you find something that works for you.

Test also comes in different strengths and is referenced as either 100mg or 200mg per mL.  I use the 200mg and I take 1mL per week and even do the shots myself.  I can't stress how much test has improved my quality of life and you could always start by just having the doc give you one shot and then see how you feel in the next week.

And Sam, when you talk with your doc, ask them about both the meds and the possibility that you are depressed or suffer from anxiety.  Strange as it sounds, sometimes using a mild form of anti-depressent/anxiety drug can make a world of difference.  You also don't have to take the drugs forever and you may just need a little help to get you over these first few months.  Keep asking and demanding treatment until you find something that works.  You have every right to the best quality of life that you can attain and if your doc won't do it, then find one who will.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 02:36:03 am by killfoile »

Offline joemutt

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 03:04:04 am »
I take testosterone as well, Andriol (gel tablets 40mg a day).
I am more perky than ever ::)

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 09:25:14 am »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 05:47:32 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline harry1976

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 12:55:29 pm »
Hi! I have the same problem: I was diagnosed in September and started to take pills in October. Now in almost sexually died  :-\ The situtuation is getting worse...My doc thought that it is a mental thing???
Yes, I have taken paroxetin daily 2 years now, but my sexual drive have disapperad within 6 months....
My doc said that they must check my testosterone level next time when they take lab tests.
Situation is awful- I`m only 30 years old male and i feel like an old lady  >:(

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 01:58:53 am »
Yeap, same thing here.  Go days and even weeks without thinking about it.  When I do, cannot get the deed finished so to speak.  Had the doc check my testostorone levels, they are normal.  So, what next???  Good question.
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 02:37:17 am »
There are definitely those who believe that even mid-normal levels of testosterone aren't sufficient for men who are positive. I was in touch with Michael Mooney (co-author of Built to Survive) and Dr. Judith Rabkin at Columbia about this. Both expressed frustration at the medical community's fear-based approach to testosterone/anabolic treatment. Many, if not most, doctors will refuse to prescribe test. if your levels are mid-normal and above. I felt tired, blah, apathetic, had no libido whatsover; my free test. levels were around 500. I went armed to the teeth with studies to my HIV clinic. Flat no. Tried again, with more research, and also asking what's the harm in trying it out for a month. Still, a big NO.

Switched docs, went to private clinic in a big city. The doctor said, good god, you definitely ought to try supplementation. I did, and my quality of life is significantly better. I'm not saying that every poz man with normal levels should supplement with testosterone. But Joe's story, and mine, indicates that it's worth investigating as an option, if there's an idiopathic problem with libido, mild depression, fatigue. (And let's not forget that Joe has been positive for a relatively long time, I've been poz for under a year; that Joe's on meds, I'm not. Despite these differences, the testosterone made a big q-of-l impact on both of us.)

A couple of extracts from an email from Michael Mooney:

(1) "Your testostone at 500 + is not enough for you to experience normal quality of life. In our book we detail Dr. Judith Rabkin's studies showing that HIV positive men can need testosterone measurements that are at and over the top of the normal scale to get normal quality of life. This is because of hormonal resistance, which is typical of the pathology."

(2) "10 grams of Androgel is still a very low dose, one that we have seen have little or no effect on many HIV+ men. Injections of 200 mg per week would be more in keeping with what most HIV+ men find works best. Nelson uses doses in that range, and we both know many others who do. 100 mg per week would still produce more benefit than 10 g of Androgel."

And from Dr. Judith Rabkin:

(1) "References:

Wagner GW, Rabkin JG. Testosterone therapy for clinical symptoms of hypogonadism in in eugonadal men with AIDS. Int. J. STD and AIDS. 1998; 9:41-44.

Rabkin JG, Rabkin R, Wagner G. Testosterone therapy for HIV+ men with and without hypogonadism. J. Clinical Psychopharmacology. 1999; 19:19-27.

Rabkin JG, Wasgner GW, Rabkin R. A double blind placebo controlled trial of testosterone therapy for HIV+ men with hypogonadal symptoms. Archives of General Psychiatry. 2000; 54:141-147.

We've written several others but this should suffice to make it clear that the majority of participants derived great benefit from treatment and the majority were NOT technically hypogonadal as defined by the laboratory reference range."

(2) "I think you have a case, or as lawyers say, a brief, and I'll try to help you get access to what could very well be what you need. I'd be happy to see you if you're in NYC and I do not charge for consultations when you come to my office at New York State Psychiatric Institute. Part of the job as I see it."

Well, this post has turned out to be longer than I'd expected. Hope it helps or clarifies a few things. Finally, if anyone goes the IM route, I'd strongly suggest weekly shots rather than every two weeks or even (!) every three weeks, to minimize the peak-trough effect.

Jay
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 02:39:50 am by lydgate »

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 12:00:58 pm »
Sam...  I think you have discovered that you are far from ALONE when it comes to this subject.  I dare say we have all suffered from a lack of interest whether it be psychological or physiological.  It takes time for us to accept our diagnosis and the impact it has on our lives.  If it really bothers you...I would check with your doctor or seek counseling...either way you deserve to have the best that life has to offer and that includes every aspect.  Be proactive...be well

modified to add...By the way I live in South Alabama too (Mobile)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 12:02:31 pm by david25luvit »
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline jordan

• What I want is a celebration
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 06:37:26 pm »

This kind of describes me also....since my diagnosis and even a little bit before.

I know it can't be drugs or alcohol (since I don't drink or do drugs) and I just got my testosterone level checked and it's normal.

It would be nice to get it back.  It's been so long....if only I had someone willing test things out  ;)
If you think your lonely now, wait until tonight.

Offline Brian360

• Just livin' it up until the sun goes down.
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 10:15:51 am »
Man, I'm glad this thread is here.  I thought I was the only one having that problem.  When I was diagnosed two years ago, I fell into a major depression.  Haven't had an erection since.  Although I'm currently in a place where I don't want to even touch the gene pool, I do plan on moving in a few months to be a little closer to "our people".

Brian
July06: Tcells 0, VL >+750,000
Aug06: TCells 22, VL 214,000
Sep06: TCells 32, VL 34,500
Oct06: TCells 92, VL 9,560
Dec06: Tcells 27, VL 25,000
Jan07: Tcells 43, VL - un-detect
Jan10: TCells 111 - popped to 160 fall 09, VL  undectable since Oct. 07

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 12:04:13 pm »

My experience was the same as Jay's and Joe's.  I tested 'normal', but I agreed with Built to Survive, that positive men need a higher amount.

It is an issue my doctor and I butted heads about.   He wouldn't give me the testosterone injections, so I found one who would.   

Now I use the Androgel, which is lovingly supplied to my by a dear friend who gets more than he needs from his clinic.  (hey we're all in this together, right?)

Hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline bobpublicover

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 03:24:11 pm »
Wow...all these short term folks... rest assured, life aint that bad...I'm poz for 29 years.  I have  not had a 'libido' problem all these years until about 10
 months when I have had some kind of intestinal infection which has cost me 25 of my 125 pounds.  They cant find anything but im no better.  It hasnt been a problem of performing, I have no desire at all.  Im trying androgel to no avail after 3 months.  Its not fun but I will find a solution.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 04:31:52 pm »
Poz since 1977?   ok........ ::)
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline adallasnative

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 04:59:47 pm »
DITTO! Guy DITTO! I used to have a libido...didn't I?? ::)
Adallasnative

Offline Eldon

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 05:58:35 pm »
Hello Sam, it is Eldon. My sex drive took a dive when I started on my anti-anxiety and anti-depression meds. It's been almost a year now and I am slowly starting to build back up so to speak.

I'd have to get a testosterone test and see what is going on because I am sometimes tired also.

Offline onephoinescorp

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 10:54:53 pm »
Hello!

I just got an e-mail from AIDSmeds, and was elated to see some of the topics being discussed.

I also have experience a drastic drop in my libido, and though I've had several tests to check my testosterone levels, which the doctor says is normal, I still have not had that drive I used to have. At 42, I was still sexually active(married for 13 years at that time), and was having an active sex life. Now, it is work to even maintain an erection, to say the least. I've expressed my concerns to my doctor, and she seems not to really be concerned about this.

I am glad to finally learn that I am not by myself with this issue. I've found myself becoming very angry about this in more ways than you can imagine. I've even resorted to several alternatives to help this, but it is only short lasting. So, I guess I really need to know what to do about this, to restore some desire and function.

HELP!!!

Offline tdsergito

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2006, 04:12:17 am »

Sam,

Please bear with me. This is my first time at this site, so I'll try not to stray from the guidelines of posting here.

Anyway, I'm here to share my own problems

with the situation you report. It appears you already have received all the

advice I might have been able to give you. 

My lover of twenty years was positive, and, in conjunction with knowing about

his various problems with meds, I've had my own problem withloss of

libido for the past several years.

Gabriel, my lover, had no problems with drive or performance while taking his

meds. His daily doses, however, did not contain antidepressants.

I scanned over all the replies you got, but seemed to miss where you stated

which meds you were taking. The key to solving your problem could be a matter

of changing meds. (I don't pretend to know which of the antiviral meds are

reported to affect libido.) But your medical professional should know about

your situation, so I hope you've discussed the libido problem with him or

her.

(I also hope you've found professionals who are easy to talk to. I've always

had a problem with that.)

I don't believe I saw any prohibition against mentioning drug names at this

site, so if such a prohibition exists, please forgive me. The drug that I

associate with loss of libido is Zoloft. I had no libido problem while taking

Prozac; however, I also found no relief from depression while taking Prozac.

I took Prozac for a year.

When I switched to Zoloft, I felt dramatic relief from depression, but almost

equally dramatic loss of sexual drive  and ability to perform.

I should add that I am now nearly 64 years old. I get mixed reports regarding

age as a factor in performance problems, but I do know of people in their

seventies who continue to feel strong drives and are able to perform.

Also, tests indicated that I had very low testosterone. I am taking Androgel,

but feel nothing from the Androgel other than a slight increase in my general

level of energy. I've also tried such supplements as  those containing Arginine and Yohimbe. One supplement

containing these substances is marketed as "Libido - Max." I don't know that it would be recommended by

health-care professionals. Libido - Max claims to be a "Two-Part Male Libido Formula." Even if it works, I'm not sure how I would manage to have somebody ready and waiting for me to try it out.

Inability to perform became a problem within two or three days of my first

doses of Zoloft. So, I'm more inclined to see Zoloft as the culprit.

There are times when I think that loss of libido might be - for me - a

blessing in disguise. Within my own gay community, there is clear evidence of

"ageist" thinking and behavior. There are exceptions, of course, but I felt

some distinct differences in how I was being treated in gay establishments

after I turned forty. At sixty, I felt like a creature from the Mesozoic era

in gay social situations.

In my case, regaining drive and ability to perform might be kind of like

"being all dressed up with no place to go." But, at your age, I suspect that your libido problem will soon be remedied. Just keep the dialog going with your health-care professionals.

All the best.

Ted
San Francisco

Offline jordan

• What I want is a celebration
Low libido may not be due to low testosterone
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 05:59:01 am »

The following article was posted on CNN August 1:

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- While there's a statistical link between men's sex drive and their testosterone levels, in practice there's little meaningful difference in testosterone levels between men with low libido and those with high libido, researchers report.

Dr. Thomas G. Travison, from the New England Research Institutes in Watertown, Massachusetts, and his associates evaluated data from the Massachusetts Male Aging Study, and report their findings in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism.

Between 1987 and 1989, a total of 1,632 men ages 40 to 70 years were enrolled in the study. They were assessed at the outset and two more times approximately 9 and 15 years later, when 922 and 623 men, respectively, were available.

At each time point, the men completed a self-administered questionnaire asking about the frequency of sexual desire and of sexual thoughts and fantasies, and their hormone levels were measured.

Men with scores of less than 7 points out of a total 14 were classified as having a low libido, which included 19 percent of men at the start of the study, 23 percent after 9 years, and 28 percent at 15 years.

Travison's team reports that, overall, libido was significantly associated with testosterone levels. However, the difference in testosterone levels between participants with low libido and those with high libido was small and "inconsequential."

Looked at the other way, a low libido did not mean a man was particularly likely to have low levels of testosterone.

Therefore, the researchers conclude that if a man complains of reduced libido, it cannot always be interpreted as a sign of testosterone deficiency.
If you think your lonely now, wait until tonight.

Offline scoobystyle

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2006, 10:36:35 am »
Hi,
    I just wanted to put my two cents in on this subject. I have living with AIDS for over 10 years now(diagnosed AIDS in Feb.'96), and have been dealing with sexual problems ever since. I have been reading the other replies mentioning testosterone levels and how they effect the libido. While it is true that they can and do effect the libido, it has been my personal experience that testosterone levels are not the only cause of libido loss. When I started taking meds, I noticed a serious drop off in libido. I found that the stress and stigma of my AIDS diagnosis had been a huge factor in my desire to have a sexual life. On one hand I felt pretty low in my self esteem about being poz. Later, as I began to accept my diagnosis more thoroughly, I found that I was once again beginning to fantasize about sex. Although, as I later found out, the meds had by then taken over my abilities to function sexually. I went for the testosterone level checks upon talking to my doctor about this problem. when the tests came back, they showed that I had twice the testosterone levels of a normal, healthy man of any age. This later proved to be a problem with some of my meds, as it caused me to be susceptible to experiencing rage. By this time I had knocked out two of the four main factors that most of us have to deal with when it comes to libido. The third factor is exhaustion. A lot of the time, I am dealing with family matters,(I am a married bisexual male of 45 years of age.) and I find that I am usually too exhausted to even try to have sex with my wife. With the daily stresses that I deal with, sex is often the thing that suffers the most from my hectic schedule. I am, by trade, a Master Automotive Technician(ASE Certified). While I am trying to build my own shop(lately by hand), I have to deal with keeping several vehicles running for family and friends. Leaving very little time for much else. The fourth factor is, of course, our meds. These have varying side effects with varying degrees of affectation. Some of them can seem to deplete any thought of even wanting to have sex for many different reasons. Some reasons include the way they make your body feel(e.g., general feeling of malaise, stomach discomfort, high blood pressure, etc...), the way they can effect your mind when they reach it(e.g.,depression, nightmares affecting sleep patterns,etc...), and your spiritual well-being(e.g. that low feeling you get when taking your meds reminding you of your status, your self-esteem, etc...).
      Over the years, I have dealt with all of these things and have managed to put them all in their proper perspective. It hasn't been easy, but I have, just the same, managed. The meds have been the hardest to overcome without other "little helpers". When I have wanted sex, I have often found that my meds have interfered with my physical functioning. Because sometimes I try and feel that "he" isn't always there for me. Not that I have lost all voluntary function, I just need a little help from Viagra every now and then. And just a little, I break a tablet down to the size dose I feel I will need to get the job done, you know?
      So, besides testosterone, check for high blood pressure, and hypertension. Ask your doc about other factors that can lead to loss of libido and functioning. This is, by far, not an uncommon problem with men with HIV. But it is often the part of our lives that suffers the most because of fear of discussion.
                                                                             Bob

Offline chasrebel

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2006, 10:45:36 am »
I have been on meds since 1992, starting with AZT.  Like so many of you, my sex life has dropped to zero interest.  Even if an erection is achieved, it usually fails to last beyond a minute or two, and ejaculation takes forever.  I did get the test for testosterone levels, and my doctor wouldn't put me on anything because the levels were all "normal".  My HIV doctor suggested I try Viagra or one of the other ED drugs.  That helped with the erection but not with the desire.  I have printed out the comments y'all have made and plan to take them with me when I go back to the doctor for my next appointment.  At least now I have some ammunition to back me up when I ask for testosterone treatment.

Offline Beatz4me

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2006, 10:46:07 am »
Wow..And  thought I was alone.

I was just recently diagnosed (April 06). My numbers are good and I am not on meds but I:

a) feel tired all the time
b) have no sexual desire whatsoever

After reading soooo much about this I gathered it was just part of normal HIV living.

After speaking to my Dr...and taking Testosterone tests, we assumed it was just depression....Having lost a couple of pounds, I feel scared that this can lead to more significant problems if left untreated.

So I have decided to try anti-depresants for a while (Ceprasil)...Will let everyone know in a couple of weeks if it changed anything.

What a great place to find people just like you...I read these posts just to feel comfortable in knowing that no matter what, someone prolly has gone through it before me and was able to get through it write about it...

:D

Offline David_CA

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 11:04:54 am »
I wonder if those experiencing libido problems are in relationships (that are/have been sexually active) or are single.  The reason I bring this up is that, while I've got a partner, I can imagine how stressful and disappointing it would be to be seeking a (sexual) partner and know that I've got this bug.  I wonder if this stress is contributing to the loss of libido. 

I was having anxiety/ panic attacks and my Dr. prescribed Prozac for me.  It's helping a lot, but it cut my libido WAY down.  It hasn't really been a problem, since the Prozac's made me feel so much better in general.  It's not that I can't function, I just don't have as much drive.  I've always had a very strong sex drive, so it's been a change.  It's still great when we do have sex; we just don't have it as much.  It bothered me more at first, but feeling so much better has been worth (to me) a reduction in libido.  Having said that, I've been 'practicing' with myself... to try and get back into it more.   ;)  You know what they say about 'use it or lose it'...  I wonder how much of this problem is caused by our emotions.  Also, age in general has a big effect on ED. 

One thing that's cool about this topic... look how many new members have posted!  That should tell us that this a fairly common problem and a major concern to those bothered by it.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2006, 09:26:22 pm »
Wow, I just came across you all postings, "loss of libido".  I have been going crazy about not being able to function with regular sex partners.  I am
em brassed and it bother me to the point, I will not take their phone calls anymore.  I fell on several occasions to get off (excuse the term) and I couldn't explain myself. My sex partners  don't know I am on meds... but I make sure we practices safe sex,  that way I don't feel I have to tell them I am HIV+.  I was reading above where someone mention this to  could have something to do with it.....

I been on meds for 2 1/2 months sustiva and truvada, and I to have noticed the change with my sexual desires these days.  I had a good idea,that it was the meds or something to do with depression... I was puzzled and didn't understand what was going on with me and just tried to go with it.  It really bothering me now.... my sperm is not creamy anymore it more like watery.... (sorry to be so graphic)..... when I masterbate..... :-(

I will be seeing my doctor on the 18th and this will be one of the topic we will discuss, testosterone.....That why I like this site so MUCH! 

THANKS Everyone!!

max
[/size][/size]
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 09:32:54 pm by OakMax1 »
Go with it and KEEP MOVIN!  Life is good today and I am glad to be here

donwolf

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2006, 04:41:26 pm »
wow Sam,

you seem to have asked the question of the decade. Seems there should be a lot more answers w/certainty since this appears to be a universal issue.  I too have had/have this issue, I have been + for 15 years, on meds since 1992.  Been with my partner for the same length of time and he as well was diagnosed at the same time.  We wanted to get tested prior to starting our relationship and unfortunately did not expect the results, but we are still together after all this time.  I say the intimacy encounters are very low. 5 or maybe 6 times a year it happens.  I do believe it is a combination of many factors, Meds & side effect  (especially the GI symptoms), incredible fatigue, the disease, Loss of spontaneity, I find now that I need the for-play more than ever now to feel intimate.  the nurturing gentleness and that can often move to the passion of the actually sexual act.  last but not lease to be completely honest with any sexual partners you may have is important, if you are not hiding anything, there is no hidden stress added to it.

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2006, 08:13:18 pm »
Thanks Donwolf,

I will take your advice, but I find it so hard to just tell a guy I am HIV+, but I am learning everyday and will add this to my changing new life.  It does remove a lot of stress. It will be hard to do but oh well... keep it real and moving in the right direction! 

Thanks and guess what MY sex drive is BACK!!!!!! 

Have  a great weekend!

max
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 08:15:53 pm by OakMax1 »
Go with it and KEEP MOVIN!  Life is good today and I am glad to be here

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2006, 10:43:41 pm »
Well... given your recent diagnosis and nearly immediate start of meds, it has to have taken a mental toll or you're not human.  I'm guessing you became infected via sex.... so given the bomb that was just dropped on you, I think it's only natural to NOT want to have anything to do with sex.   
At least that's how I felt.  I'm still celebate 4 years later but have thought about sex again... but haven't tried it because I don't believe I am in the proper state of mind to control my behavior, so better just to not go there.

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2006, 11:21:33 pm »
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people, but does loss of libido mean you aren't interested in sex with a partner, as well as masturbation?  Just curious if people are not interested in sex with others, but enjoying the personal pleasures of ones body, but still consider this loss of libido?

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2006, 05:00:49 am »
You are definitely NOT alone. I just found out I was positive in April of this year, and until about a month ago, I had NO desire whatsoever to have sex with another person. Thankfully, that's passed with me.

I remember when first taking care of myself after finding out, I looked at my semen, and I thought, "wow, this could kill someone." It was certainly not an inspiring thought.

It should pass in time, but if not, the wealth of information already given will definitely come in handy.
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.