Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:19:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 526
Total: 527

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV or something else? Thanks  (Read 5526 times)

Offline Itc

HIV or something else? Thanks
« on: July 22, 2011, 10:14:08 am »
on 6/8/11 i had a sexual encounter with a stripper, im not sure if there was penetration or not. IF there was it was literally 5 seconds at most. 

6/10/11- i got a blood and urine test (just to be safe) 

6/12/11 -  i had burning during urination went to the ER and they swabbed my penis and said i had bacteria in it, they gave me a shot of rosperhin and 10 days of doxy. 

6/13/11- i developed thrush, tender neck glands, back pains, and a bad sinus problem. 

6/14/11 - first blood and urine test came back negative for everything 

6/15/11- the er swab came back negative, was told to keep taking the doxys. 

7/8/11 - 30 days after exposure. Rapid test for hiv was negative( I guess third generation, was oral gum swab 20 minutes)  all stds(syphilis,gonorrhea,chlamydia, i thought they were testing more but thats all they gave me over the phone) came back negative. 

7/21/11 6 week and 1 day after- still have a sore back, and my neck glands are  VERY tender under my ear ( i was told they weren't swollen about a month ago) tendons above my armpit on my right arm are tender as well. Once a day ill have a pain shoot up my leg. Still have some sinus congestion, clear mucus (good sign i think) 

7/22/11 today I woke up with sinus drainage ( it appears to be clear ) and my neck is hurting. Not really the nodes but just my neck ( tendons I guess), and under my ears are like killer pain, just to barely touch shoots pain up my ear. 

And I know no penetration means no
Risk, if I was certain there wasn't any penetration i wouldn't be worried so my question revolves around the 5 seconds of possible penetration. What are my percentages? I suspect very low... While these numbers and information I've received is encouraging the symptoms are just so hard to ignore.  I try to tell myself that I made the symptoms... But I had no idea what thrush even was until i saw I had it and looked it up.

wondering should i be worrying about hiv or anything else? ive been told that those symptoms i had in the first week after if in fact were ars symptoms then i would more than likely tested positive 30 days after. I will get tested at the 8 week mark then again at 12 week, maybe 6 months but only if i still having weird symptoms. 

any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Itc

Re: HIV or something else? Thanks
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 10:32:11 am »
I couldn't figure out how to edit.

2 things .. I deffently rubber my penis on her vagina unprotected, I was highly intoxicated and don't really remember if there was penetration, because for some reason i was not worried about anything for the first few days.

I've also had very bad back pain, I have back pain often but it's all been centerd around my spine now it's the actual muscles.

Idk... Thanks
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:38:08 am by Itc »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 10:41:37 am »
Itc,

It sounds very unlikely that you had any unprotected penetration. Rubbing genitals together without penetration is called frottage, and frottage is NOT a risk for hiv infection.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week negative must be confirmed at the three month point, but is highly unlikely to change.

Nothing you are reporting is hiv specific. Neither symptoms nor the lack of symptoms will ever tell you a single thing about your hiv status anyway; ONLY testing at the appropriate time will.

Antibiotic use can cause thrush because it also kills off the friendly bacteria that keeps the organism that causes thrush in check. We all have the organism that causes thrush on and in our bodies, it only becomes a problem when it is allowed to multiply unchecked by friendly bacteria. Chances are you did/do not have thrush anyway - it cannot be diagnosed without doubt simply by looking at it. Many things can cause your tongue to have a white appearance.

If you cannot put this most-likely no risk event behind you, test at three months, collect your negative result and put this behind you. I do not expect your four week negative result to change.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Itc

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 10:47:59 am »
Thanks Ann for you fast and informative post.

The only thing i was confused about, was " six week negative at three months ".  Since it's now been 6 weeks and 2 days should I get tested now,  maybe just for peace of mind?

Thanks again

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 10:53:46 am »
Having had such a low level risk which may not even have been a risk at all, a negative at 6 weeks would be a very strong indication that you will test negative again at 13 weeks.

Given what you have reported I am not convinced you actually had a penetrative risk at all. But if for peace of mind you want to test, then do so. I expect you to come out of this ok.

Those symptoms are something to discuss with your doctor.
Andy Velez

Offline Itc

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 11:07:01 am »
Thanks, last question I promise.

Have you heard of ars symptoms starting before second week or after 6 weeks?

Have you heard of ars symptoms last longer than a month contiunsly?

I will not bug you anymore. Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 11:29:39 am »
Thanks, last question I promise.

Have you heard of ars symptoms starting before second week or after 6 weeks?

RARELY IN BOTH CASES.

Have you heard of ars symptoms last longer than a month contiunsly?

NO. NEVER.

I will not bug you anymore. Thanks
Andy Velez

Offline Itc

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 02:00:21 pm »
I said I wouldn't do it, but I had to.

I saw this wasn't mentioned.

IF those were ars symptoms within the first week (starting day 5)  would a rapid test have picked that up on day 30?

Thanks .... That Is my last question.. I know you guys answer the same questions over and over and most probably like mine... A zero risk.

Sorry.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 02:05:19 pm »
Yes, it would have picked it up.

Now it is time for you to move on.
Andy Velez

Offline Itc

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 02:13:20 pm »
Thanks andy

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 03:06:25 pm »
You're welcome.
Andy Velez

Offline Itc

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 12:43:09 pm »
My 7 week (48 days) test came back non reactive, I'm no longer worried about HIV, inwill test at 3 months just for peace of mind.

First and foremost I think you guys do an excellent job!

For the last few months I've become very interested in the virus, I had a few general questions that if you could answer when you get the chance.

Does the timing of seroconversion mean anything? Like wether it's week 2 or week 6 or later? Does the severity or lack their of symptoms mean anything?

Are there any other diesese that could render the testing a false negative?

I know medication is always improving, how long are currently HIV patients living?  Do you see a cure for HIV being found in our lifetimes?

These question are just for my information, not conceding menor
My risk. So if you get the time I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 01:55:00 pm »
My 7 week (48 days) test came back non reactive, I'm no longer worried about HIV, inwill test at 3 months just for peace of mind.

First and foremost I think you guys do an excellent job!

For the last few months I've become very interested in the virus, I had a few general questions that if you could answer when you get the chance.

Does the timing of seroconversion mean anything? Like wether it's week 2 or week 6 or later? Does the severity or lack their of symptoms mean anything?

Are there any other diesese that could render the testing a false negative?

I know medication is always improving, how long are currently HIV patients living?  Do you see a cure for HIV being found in our lifetimes?

These question are just for my information, not conceding menor
My risk. So if you get the time I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

We are not here to serve as a general reference source for questions. Our main purpose is to respond with an evaluation when someone thinks they may have a risky incident. You'll have to use your library or other sources for some of the more general questions you have.

Other diseases can cause a false positive rather than a false negative.

Andy Velez

Offline Itc

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 02:07:43 pm »
Thanks andy I'll try that

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 02:13:21 pm »
OK.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.