Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:01:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773196
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 420
Total: 423

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Now this is Ironic  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Peter6836

• Me and my Granddaughter Noa
Now this is Ironic
« on: December 10, 2008, 06:18:10 pm »
I was terminated by the Detroit Public Schools back in July for being late in renewing my teaching certificate. I did renew my certificate within weeks of the due date which was before school began again. After 17 years of service I was terminated this caused me a great amount of stress. I was told I could sub which payed less than 1/3 of what I was making. After not being able to be reenstated as a contract teacher I took the subbing position. I also applied for a disability retirement and SSDI, trying to keep all of my options open and protecting myself. I was reprimanded repeatedly for trying to get my job back, by the school district.
For many years now I have been quite unhappy with my situation in the dysfunctional district. I looked into getting a degree in mental health counseling so that I could become a therapist many times in the last few years. Even begining a degree in Social work which was cut short with my AIDS diagnosis. So with all the things happening with the school district I also re enrolled in school to get my degree in mental health counseling.
Well last thursday I recieved letters stating that I was approved for a disability retirement, and for SSDI. I was told to resign my position as a sub immediately. Well today I was called by the HR department of the district and was told that I was being reenstated in a contract teaching position. Now I am questioning all of my decisions. Even though I have gone through my journals and read how I was so unhappy at my job and wished so much to change jobs and become a therapist. I keep thinking that I would be making more money teaching again. That my retirement could be much larger if I put in a few more years. Yikes, I know that I should probably take the time, progress with my schooling and do what I want to do in the future. But I am also a bit stuck in doing what I know, even if it is in a dysfunctional system.
thoughts on this whole situation would be appreciated
Peter

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Now this is Ironic
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 06:58:08 pm »
wow! instead of doors slamming in your face, like earlier in the year, it seems all the doors of opportunity are opening for you. ;D Though it's confusing to know what to do, that's great news to hear after all your worrying and problems.

since you've been approved for disability, maybe your choice of path to take should be based on your health. Are you actually healthy enough to work, or should you take this time to recover from or treat a problem?

no matter what your choice, it's good to hear that you have so many better choices now than just a few months ago  ;) ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline weasel

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 07:07:27 am »
hey peter ,
                 sounds like they were calling your bluff ?
          this sounds good for you .
 I would get a contract ,for as many years you want to work ,before i made a move .

going on SSDI is sort of a trap ,it is good ,do not get me wrong ,but it limits
the amount you make to $700.oo ,at least in missouri .

wishing you the best , you sound like you are doing good .

karl  :-*

that would be $700.oo a month ,above your SSDI  :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:10:03 am by weasel »
" Live and let Live "

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 03:54:22 pm »
Could you be on SSDI and go to school at the same time?   Does the law allow that?   If you can, I would go that route.  It is amazing what horrible situations we stay in because we are afraid of change.  When you do pick something new, you will look back at your time as a teacher and think "I was worried about that?". 

Believe me, I have recent experience embracing the power of "change" :)

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 03:34:42 am »
Could you be on SSDI and go to school at the same time?   

I'm of the school of thought that 1 day working is better than a year of disability so, this is one important question.  If this is the case, you have a ticket to improving your training, using your teaching skills and do something you may love.  I was approved for disability in less than a month, I had to lay in an isolation bed in a California hospital for over a month with PCP.  That was over 12 years ago and for the last 10 years, I have applied for employment many times and have been disappointed the Social Security"Return to Work" program, never offers job placement.  They did send me a nice "Return to Work" card and offer to help write a resume but when there are no job programs available, it looks like a job for those who do not have any disability and living 8 to 5 through others.

After 10 years of applying for jobs, which I have qualifications and being declined for any number of reasons, the most used being, "a better qualified applicant has been found, thank you for thinking of us and good luck in your endeavor," I always hope for something better and new.

I did find or at least create a position for myself, developing a marketing campaign for BF Elect and his firm.  He did offer to pay me for my services but, I have spent the last decade trying to maintain through and with the available services.  If I accepted a salary, benefits would be reduced or cut and I wouldn't be any better off.  As a volunteer/intern, I can create a name for myself in San Francisco, improve the profitability of BF Elects firm and with his help, sell my PR skills to his friends.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.