Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:21:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 471
Total: 471

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 1 year blood test  (Read 2522 times)

Offline an92

1 year blood test
« on: June 23, 2019, 10:58:05 am »
So it's already been 1 year since my diagnosis, and next week I'm going in for my blood test.

As some of you might know, the main issue i've had over the past year is anxiety, so I'm working with a psychologist on that now. Last blood test at 9 months was undetectable with 800 cd4 and 35 cd4%. *grateful*

2 things to ask advice on really:

1. Considering I usually spend 1 week in total anxiety waiting for my results (which triggers herpes outbreaks). Should I ask for my cd4 count and other numbers, or should I just relax now and let the doctor worry about it if there's something, and only ask if I'm undetectable? I think this would take a lot of pressure off me. Because I think I would really panic if any of my numbers were lower for some reason that's out of our control (Anxiety is irrational, so being logical doesn't really help in this situation).

2. As i've been having herpes outbreaks quite a lot over the past 5 weeks (even with Valacyclovir treatment), is it better to delay my blood test next week, or will the herpes not really affect my numbers? (I've heard it can cause viral load blips and lower cd4 temporarily).

Thanks and have a good weekend
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 11:00:16 am by an92 »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: 1 year blood test
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 01:04:41 pm »
Hiya

1) If you think this is triggering anxiety explain this to your doctor and, if you think only knowing if you are UD will help you cope give it a try.

2) I think you are overthinking it, just take your blood tests as normal. STI's causing noticeable viral blips is an issue in untreated/unsuppressed HIV

« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 01:10:26 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Pirata

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 01:09:22 pm »
Man your numbers are great, just continue doing what you are doing and enjoy life

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 03:10:58 pm »
Last blood test at 9 months was undetectable with 800 cd4 and 35 cd4%.

1.  ask if I'm undetectable? I think this would take a lot of pressure off me.
how long have you been on meds and UD? because if your cd4s remain above 500 and you stay UD for 2 yrs, you could never do another cd4 test again. As long as your cd4s are above 200, the cd4 count really means little in evaluating your health. As it is now your cd4 count is excellent and if you're worried about that count, you're really wasting a lot of energy   :D :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline kentfrat1783

• Instagram: kentfrat1783
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 05:05:12 pm »
Hi,

I traditionally know my numbers prior to the doctor tells me as I can see the numbers online.  Does your hospital or lab give you the option to see it online?  Some don't let you see them until you met with the doctor but others don't.

But don't' stress too much.  Yes, it is easier said than done but with proper help (as you are getting), you can do it. 

For me, I'm able to see the numbers online prior to my doctor getting back to me so that helps. I've also got to the point that I don't ever think my CD4 count will get above 200 but maybe will someday. 

Now the question...How do you feel?  Not related to bloodwork or levels but how do you feel about life?  Hope well. 

Kenneth
Date - CD4 - Percent - VL
08/23/23 - 366 - 26%
06/20/23 - 349 - 21% - UD
04/15/23 - 229 - 19% - <20
11/14/22 - 486 - 24% - 73
10/12/22 - 316 - 19% - <20
06/20/22 - 292 - 21% - <20
01/25/22 - 321 - 22% - <20
09/22/21 - 278 - 19% - <20
02/02/21 - 225 - 19% - <20
06/08/20 - 257 - 20% - <20
03/17/20 - 285 - 19% - 101 (2.00)
12/17/19 - 290 - 20% - <20
09/17/19 - 218 - 16%
06/18/19 - 173 - 16% - <20
03/13/19 - 170 - 16% - <20
January 2019 - Started Triumeq
12/05/08 - 174 - 18% - <20
08/28/18 - 166 - 15% - <20
05/08/18 - 106 - 11% - <20
03/05/18 -   90 - 10% - <20
12/11/17 -   60 -   8%
09/07/17 -   42 -   6% - 54 (1.70)
May 2017 - Started Atripla
05/11/17 -    2 -    1% - 169,969 (5.23)
OI's: PCP
Dx`d May 11, 2017

Offline an92

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 05:09:38 pm »
how long have you been on meds and UD? because if your cd4s remain above 500 and you stay UD for 2 yrs, you could never do another cd4 test again. As long as your cd4s are above 200, the cd4 count really means little in evaluating your health. As it is now your cd4 count is excellent and if you're worried about that count, you're really wasting a lot of energy   :D :D

Hi! I'm not worried about my cd4 count, I'm happy that its good and normal. I'm worried about the anxiety that comes every time when I have to wait for my results, usually a week after my blood test. It's actually physical anxiety, in the sense that I start sweating and heart beating super fast when i call for my results. I want to avoid that, so that's why I was asking if i should just ignore all the numbers in future and let the doctors deal with it. Just knowing if I'm undetectable.

I've been taking meds for a year, so I'm not yet at the two years mark of being undetectable.

Offline an92

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 05:10:31 pm »
Hiya

1) If you think this is triggering anxiety explain this to your doctor and, if you think only knowing if you are UD will help you cope give it a try.

2) I think you are overthinking it, just take your blood tests as normal. STI's causing noticeable viral blips is an issue in untreated/unsuppressed HIV

Hi! OK thanks I think I will go ahead with the planned blood test this coming week then, instead of delaying it.

Offline an92

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 05:19:19 pm »
Hi,

I traditionally know my numbers prior to the doctor tells me as I can see the numbers online.  Does your hospital or lab give you the option to see it online?  Some don't let you see them until you met with the doctor but others don't.

But don't' stress too much.  Yes, it is easier said than done but with proper help (as you are getting), you can do it. 

For me, I'm able to see the numbers online prior to my doctor getting back to me so that helps. I've also got to the point that I don't ever think my CD4 count will get above 200 but maybe will someday. 

Now the question...How do you feel?  Not related to bloodwork or levels but how do you feel about life?  Hope well. 

Kenneth

Hi Kenneth! I don't have the option to see the numbers online, and my doctor won't call me with any results unless something is bad. So it's really up to me to wait a week and then call them myself to get the results over the phone.

I'm feeling fine physically, my main problem is anxiety which had just appeared out of nowhere in the past year and is sometimes quite debilitating. The problem is that I am also infected with herpes, and any emotional stress triggers an outbreak for me. So I'm literally afraid to stress out because I'm anxious to have outbreaks, it's such a stupid vicious circle. And believe me, I know how stupid it is, but it doesn't make it easier to deal with. I've had about 12 outbreaks in the past year, maybe more. And before my diagnosis I was maybe having 2 or 3 a year. So anxiety definitely is a problem for me.

I'm not that stressed about living with HIV but rather about taking my medicine on time, or making sure the pills are ok, that the food i eat didn't interfere with the absorption, that the bottle is closed, that the temperature of the room is ok for storing the pills. All really silly things, that I know are not logical but it's difficult for my mind to stop. my numerous posts about silly things on this forum are testament to that.

Other than the herpes outbreaks triggered by anxiety I feel fine. I haven't been sick this year, and I've got over the fear of having sex with my negative partner.

Offline harleymc

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 02:22:28 am »
I had horrid anxiety for years (predating my HIV).  I had to do a lot of work on anxiety, the things that helped me were cognitive behaviour therapy and mindfulness.

I still get anxious about things, but it's just the normal level that doesn't interfere in my life. Just enough to motivate me if I need to do something.

Offline Expat1

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 06:42:02 pm »
I used to get anxious during the wait beween the ELISA test and results. 

Once I became positive i became undetectable quickly.  My CD4 has never been below 1000 so no worries since.  Just take the meds daily, get checked every 3 to 6 months  have the results emailed to me.  No worries.  If the VL ever spiked  or became resistant, since my CD4s (like yours) are normal.  I would be fine as HIV takes years from normal CD4 to develop AIDS.  So no reason to worry.

In terms of anxiety, living with HIV and being undetectable is less a stress for me than it was getting ELISA tests every 3 months and waiting a week for the result.

Offline virgo313

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 01:31:36 am »
Hi,

Just back from hospital today. Did eye test & next eye test is in a year time. Just routine as i started to have diabetic. Eye is good. 

"HIV tests" no longer give me anxiety as i will tend to think i will be also getting UD results plus CD4 + % is fine. like other say, no reason to worry.

I think of more on dates for next appointment for diabetic, Cholesterol & what date to pick up my monthly supply of meds.  tks
RVD Nov 2015. VL --> Log 5.32 HAART on 23/11/15
TDF+FTC+EFV / Chemo KS - 25/11/15 - 20/01/16.
CD4 - 4 (3/11/15) / VL - 225,000

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.