Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:29:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 385
Total: 386

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Why oh why  (Read 6478 times)

Offline ubotts

Why oh why
« on: April 14, 2008, 02:49:08 pm »

I was  doing some online research about hep c...and this is what I found out..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
Across several studies, the risk of liver injury appears to be particularly great with the use of nevirapine (Viramune) and full-dose ritonavir (Norvir). However, the administration of low-dose ritonavir (≥ 200 mg/day) has not been associated with a greater risk of hepatotoxicity
Why would the doctor put me on norvir, now doubled, if its so bad for my liver...
I do have Hepititas C.. >:( Seems your damned if you do and damned if you dont!

Can anyone answer me this question..I also forwarded to my dr..Hope she has a damn good answer for this.... :-\

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance.
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
Re: Why oh why
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 04:23:03 pm »
Across several studies, the risk of liver injury appears to be particularly great with the use of nevirapine (Viramune) and full-dose ritonavir (Norvir). However, the administration of low-dose ritonavir (≥ 200 mg/day) has not been associated with a greater risk of hepatotoxicity
Why would the doctor put me on norvir, now doubled, if its so bad for my liver...

ubotts,  yr not on viramune or full dose norvir (ie, using as a stand alone protease inhibitor, at 1200mg per day) the norvir you take is jsut a low dose, total of 200mg a day, to "boost" trhe concentration of your protease inhibitor - big difference. so this >> administration of low-dose ritonavir (≥ 200 mg/day) has not been associated with a greater risk of hepatotoxicity holds true
(plus,from what youwritten previously, yr liver function ain't that bad)

don't panic,eh?
kate
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 04:30:24 pm by penguin »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 04:37:21 pm »
exactly
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline ubotts

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 02:44:17 pm »
You both right..
Later on that day when i mailed this to my Dr..she reread my biospy report and said I did'nt have a fatty liver, nor do I have chirrosious...Cant spell it but u know what I mean.

So we talked about the hep c treatment that I was suppose to start in Sept..but now
knowing my liver isn't that bad, I have plenty of time, thank god, cuz this was freaking me out..Just the thought of being sick 3 days out of the week for 18 month is bizarre to me...

So I am gonna go with the flow...
When needed then and only then will i give up 18 months of my life to the medicines..
Hell theres days I feel shitty already, image how I would feel with the treatments? :(

So I am happy :D I talked to my doctor, and my life will go on as usual...

I can handle being hiv..
         Hell I handled it for 23 yrs..but hep c..seems a bit scarier than have Hiv...
What do you guys think?
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 03:21:42 pm »

I can handle being hiv..
         Hell I handled it for 23 yrs..but hep c..seems a bit scarier than have Hiv...
What do you guys think?

Oh, I'd definitely not want to be dealing with what you're dealing with darling.  Surely it complicates everything immeasurably.  But I'm sure you're dealing with it as best you can.

Otherwise I can't say I know that much about it.  There is a guy in my LTS support group that has had it for a long time, and he's doing well now though he evidently had periods in the past that weren't great.  I know he had a drug problem at one time so that might have prevented him from getting good treatment.  He's clean now.

I guess it's just something you have to be very pro-active about.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline 25YRSAGO

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 05:02:19 pm »
Hi Ubotts,

re:  [font=Verdana]"Why would the doctor put me on norvir, now doubled, if its so bad for my liver...
I do have Hepititas C.. >:( Seems your damned if you do and damned if you dont!"
[/font]

[/size]

Just a note...  My doc(s) have tried to put me on Norvir many times now.  I have refused each time.  Typically, they have supposedly found that Norvir boosts the effectiveness of the others drugs...in your case Viramune.  I have been on pretty much all of it by now, and can tell you, that Viramune worked for a while, but for me the diahrrea was bad. 

There are many different drugs now, and I strongly suggest, that if you cannot handle the side effects for any reason, you have a long talk with your doc about changing.  None of the drugs work forever anyhow, and if you have worries about your liver (with HEP C..your concern should certainly be taken seriously), Norvir is NOT a requirement and can be avoided...I am going on 25 yrs now, and have avoided it to this day.  Frankly, I don't trust that drug at all.  Also, according to several docs at the hosp. I visit, they say that they are finding some drugs we are testing to be resistent to, may work the same way your doc is trying to use Norvir.  Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself, and insist on changing if that is what is required by you...and if your doc doesn't oblige your demands, or has any problem whatsoever, move on to a different doctor.  After 25 yrs. of this stuff, I've found that the doctors that help the most are the ones that have the patience and caring to listen and take action according to your needs and concerns. 
STRONG MIND, STRONG BODY, STRONG SPIRIT!!!

Offline ubotts

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 09:14:32 am »
My doctor called me when I forwarded her this:

She said I have nothing to worry about..I am only on 200mgs..Years ago they put people on 600 to 800 mgs...So she said its a light dose, and they always have my liver in mind when giving me any medications..

I also asked her to review my liver biopsy..She said I dont have a fatty liver nor do I have
chirrois...I dont know how you spell it, but you know what I mean.

I have a little over a million copies,,..Others have 8 or more million copies..
So I decided with my dr. that I will not start treatment in September..

She said because I was co-infected, I would have to be on hep c meds for 18 months
and 3 days out of every week, I will feel ill.... :(
Hell, I said if my liver is not to bad yet, then I should wait....I really dont think this is the time to start treatment, and she said I dont have to start now, she also said they were
just trying to nip it in the bud......

I feel like a rat...If I didnt speak up, they would of used me to see if they start hep c
drugs earlier, what would be the outcome..

Test it on someone whos doing a life sentence,  Not me, I said to her....

The cocktail i am on, is ok...my t cells went up from 161 to 338...but my VL which had been undetectable for years, came up as 4o2, so she upped my noviar to 200 mgs, instead of 100 mgs...
She said lets see if we cant tweak this and get your VL back to undetectable..So they gave me one more noviar to take..
I go back in 5 weeks, and I will see if that helped..

Ill keep you posted on the outcome......thanks for your support.... ;)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 10:15:57 am »
Ubotts, I don't have hep C, so I can't really offer solid advice.  However, I believe one has to be fully ready to do whatever treatment for whatever ailment, or they'll probably fail at successfully completing it.

You know what's best for you.  Good luck.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.