Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:54:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 184
Total: 184

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Waxing........  (Read 6709 times)

Offline bear60

Waxing........
« on: April 03, 2009, 01:16:57 pm »
Waxing Nostalgic on my 65th birthday. (Monday, Apr 6.)
It is also:
20 years since testing HIV positive in 1989.
14 years since Paul, my former partner, died of AIDS on April 4th, 1995
and
I deeply miss all my friends who have died from AIDS:
Gary M. in 1989
Paul B., 1990
Pat M, and his lover Lloyd in 1992
Johnny C. in 1992
Jonathan L., 1996
Jim G. in 1998
Gene H. in 1999
and
Bill R in 2001
Steve T in 2002
Jim R in 2006
Fred C 2008

and

I miss my parents who died in old age: 
Dad in 1999
 my Mom in 2007

also:
my good friends
Ron W. in 2007 from cancer
and
Jim M. in 2004 from too much partying  ( but hey, the party lasted 30 or 40 years!)

All of these guys made the world a better place and their absence makes it that much harder for me to find a "Happy Place".
Its the life of a long term non progressor.
I keep a list.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 02:58:25 pm by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Waxing........
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 04:41:32 pm »
WOW! and I thought I was old turning 47 just a couple weeks ago. ROFL  :D ;D
But seriously, the happiest birthday wishes to you my cyber friend. :-*

I sure am glad you made it through this last year and were around to celebrate another year, as you were a source of comfort and support :-* to me during my crisis with Jim. Unfortunately, I all too well understand your "discomfort" of being a survivor and having a "happy" birthday. Though you may be saddened by thoughts of those who have left you behind, please feel some gladness too knowing that there are people still around who are glad that you've made it allllll these years.  ;)  ;D

Happy Bday Joel! and many more!!  ;D
mikie
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:03:09 am »
Joel, I really hope you have a great birthday!  You deserve it.  I understand about the losses, but that's where memories help.  Have a great one!
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Texan38

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 09:32:44 am »
Wishing you nothing but the best for your birthday. You're a good person and a wonderful friend.

Sending you a big ol' Texas size <<BEAR HUG>>  :-*

Mark
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 10:29:06 am »
Happy Birthday Joel and many, many more to come.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 01:01:52 pm »
Happy B day  and ,many more ...  plan a nice celebration for you and include  some good thoughts for those who can no longer attend..  maybe a nice bottle of wine and several glasses so you can drink one  for each of them

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline bear60

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 03:25:15 pm »
Thanks Nick...thats a good idea.

Offline bear60

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 03:41:59 pm »
WOW! and I thought I was old turning 47 just a couple weeks ago. ROFL  :D ;D
But seriously, the happiest birthday wishes to you my cyber friend. :-*

mikie
Mikie....
Turning 65 has been a LOT of work.  Getting hooked up with Medicare Parts A and B and choosing my Part D provider.  Lots of mail coming in to get me to choose this one or that one.
Setting up automatic payment of Part D.
I still need to get my Transpass...woopee...now I ride for free.
Got my bifocals a couple of months ago.
I appreciate your thoughts.....Betty.... and Texan... and Rod

Joel
modified to add: Dinner last night with friends was a  nice celebration.  We went to a Burmese restaurant named Rangoon.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 11:24:47 am by bear60 »

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 09:48:05 pm »
Joel,

I hope you had a wonderful birthday and wish you many more to come!

Big Bear Hugs & 65 birthday whacks,  :o
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 03:53:37 pm »
Happy Birthday honey, and many many more!

When you started out by naming it "Waxing...."  I thought "surely Joel is not going to go have his chest waxed!"  LOL

My list of lost loved ones grows longer with each passing year.   It never gets any easier, just more 'comfortable' I guess is a good word for it.   I still miss my Dad every day of my life, since he died in 1986.   Got together with a fellow Alabama LTS this weekend, and we reminisced about our friends who have gone on........

Birthday HUGS !!

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 08:36:38 pm »
HB Joel !!!
Life can be hard, especially those who give us great times and memories pass on.  As we get older, I guess it is part of our life individual life, to grow stronger, get used to bifocials ,think more positive, and to pass on our wisdom and kindness to others.
You are a GREAT guy, and keep enjoying life and your friends, who I know love and cherish you!!
Congrats on things falling into place abit more for you too..
Each day,  something to be thankful for,  whether it is a fond memory or something good for us.

Take care my friend,  I am blessed to know you here on this site.
Hugs,  Bruce
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:40:02 pm by lonewolf »
"To all within the sound of my voice, I appeal: Learn with me the lessons of history and of grace, so my children will not be afraid to say the word “AIDS” when I am gone. Then, their children and yours may not need to whisper it at all."  Mary Fisher

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 09:53:48 pm »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 09:27:33 am »
Hey Joel,

A belated Happy Birthday! I hope you celebrated appropriately and had a great time.

It is always bittersweet to reminisce. I'm glad you're still here.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 11:47:36 am »
Happy belated Birthday, Joel

AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE ABOUT GROWING OLD:

Well, crap...

Now I forgot what it was.
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.