Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:29:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 608
Total: 608

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A little update... plus just want to vent a little  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Sera

A little update... plus just want to vent a little
« on: February 26, 2010, 11:10:21 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Three weeks ago i had an appointment with my ID  Dr  and after a lengthy discussion came out with a prescription for Atripla. Finally i was ready to start and felt really  good about my decision - thanks in part to the encouragement i got from this forum. Unfortunately, i have  not been able to start yet, so the bottle with the huge pills is just sitting in the bathroom cabinet staring at me. Luckily, my numbers have not changed much. Viral load 600 from 572, 33% the same as last time and cd4 360 up from 292.

Prior to the Dr's appointment, i had some stomach issues and the the dr thought it could be H - pylori, which i have a history of and therefore wanted me tested first. The test was done this week and came back negative. However, the dr asked the NP to call this afternoon and inform  me  that they still think i have h-pylori and called a prescription for it which i am very reluctant to take.

Now i just feel like starting the Atripla without the dr's go ahead and hope the stomach issues will resolve once meds kicks in. Any thoughts .....anyone? And if anyone has a nausea remedy that they can swear on beside ginger, please volunteer.

Thanks.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: A little update... plus just want to vent a little
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 11:21:15 pm »
Why haven't you been able to start your regimen?

MtD

Offline Sera

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 11:39:54 pm »
mtd, because my id doctor still thinks i have h-pylori which i tested neg for and therefore doesn't want me start the Atripla before my stomach is treated.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 01:30:31 am »
Life is often so strange.  I had never heard of this h-pylori before today.  I got a call from my parents today saying a family member had it.  They wanted me to Google it.  It said it was an infection affecting the stomach and intestines.  It said it is very rare in this country and rare among adults.  It said it usually affects people living in tight quarters with many other people or in people without access to clean water.  It did say it could cause stomach cancer.  So, this family member is very ill with it evidently.

I just read your post and ran into this h-pylori again.  Twice in one day after never hearing about before.  Just thought that was interesting.  I hope you feel better and you don't have this infection/illness.  I wish ya the best in taking Atripla after your stomach issues are resolved.

Let us know how it goes.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 06:44:46 am »
Hi Sera,

You piqued my curiosity about h-plyori---mostly because I don't understand why your doc thinks you have it despite negative test results. Is he intending to retest you to confirm his hunch? I looked up the following and wondered which of the four tests you've had.

Why would you begin your regimen, especially given your enviable percentage, and consulting with a doc who's advised you not to do so until he resolves/confirms his hunch that you've got h-pylori?

I'm all about getting involved in my health management, but you're telling us that despite his advice, you think you should start your ATRIPLA. Why?  I intend to not take meds a day earlier than advised/warranted.

Please note below that you're advised not to take certain meds before h-plyori testing. Perhaps your doc intends to administer more testing and therefore doesn't want you on ATRIPLA before that occurs.

Best to you.
Em

Four tests are used to detect H. pylori:

Blood antibody test. A blood test checks to see whether your body has made antibodies to H. pylori bacteria. If you have antibodies to H. pylori in your blood, it means you either are currently infected or have been infected in the past.

Urea breath test. A urea breath test checks to see if you have H. pylori bacteria in your stomach. The breath test is not always available.

Stool antigen test. A stool antigen test checks to see if substances that trigger the immune system to fight an H. pylori infection (H. pyloriantigens) are present in your feces (stool). Stool antigen testing may be done to help support a diagnosis of H. pylori infection or to determine whether treatment for an H. pylori infection has been successful.

Stomach biopsy. A small sample (biopsy) is taken from the lining of your stomach and small intestine during an endoscopy. Several different tests may be done on the biopsy sample. For more information, see the medical test Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy.

Why It Is Done
A Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) test is done to:

Determine whether an infection with H. pylori bacteria may be causing an ulcer or irritation of the stomach lining (gastritis).
Determine whether treatment for an H. pylori infection has been successful.

How To Prepare
Blood antibody test or stool antigen test
You do not need to do anything before you have a blood antibody test or stool antigen test.

Stomach biopsy or urea breath test
Do not eat or drink for at least 6 hours before a breath test or a stomach biopsy.

Many medicines may change the results of this test. Be sure to tell your doctor about all the prescription and nonprescription medicines you take. Your doctor may recommend that you stop taking some of your medicines for up to 1 week before having this test.

Do not take antibiotics, proton pump inhibitors (such as Prilosec or Nexium), or medicines containing bismuth (such as Pepto-Bismol) for 1 to 2 weeks before the test.
Do not take H2 blockers, such as Pepcid AC, Zantac, Axid, or Tagamet, for 24 hours before the test.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 11:05:34 am »
Hi Sera,

If you were tested with the breath test, you need to know that they can and do return false negative results. The most reliable is the stomach biopsy, but it is an invasive procedure you can avoid by testing with the also reliable but embarrassing stool test.

If you do have H.pylori you really need to get rid of it - it will only get worse in the long-run and you could end up with bleeding ulcers. Ask your doctor about using a better test to determine where you stand. Good luck!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Sera

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 04:02:38 pm »
Thanks ted, hope your family member feels better.
Em, the reason the Dr thinks I might have the h pylori  is because I had it before a few years ago. It was diagnosed through a biopsy and treated but she thinks it might not have been eliminated completely. This time I did a urea test and the person who administered it  said it's usually 95% accurate, but I just read Ann's response that says it's not always correct so I don't know. My reasoning for wanting to  start atripla right away was that since the test was negative, I don't want to take meds for h pylori that might not be there. I get your point though and for the longest time I wasn't so crazy with the idea of starting HIV meds, but now I want to give my body a boost and raise my CD4.
Thanks Ann for that info about the breath test. I am suprised the Dr doing it failed to mention that to me. So now I will wait and talk to my doctor and see whether I can do a stool test.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 05:10:33 pm »
It was diagnosed through a biopsy and treated but she thinks it might not have been eliminated completely.

Hi Sera

Okay, that makes sense---thanks for giving us clarification. I hope you get relief and/or an answer soon.

Em

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.