Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:36:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 618
Total: 619

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Let's talk about poppers...  (Read 16705 times)

Offline AtomicA

• that's Famous with an F
Let's talk about poppers...
« on: December 06, 2006, 10:43:34 pm »
I admit it, I love them. Discovered them in australia and have since had the best sex of my life with them (including the time I was infected. woops).

anyway, they're VERY bad for you and so I hardly ever use them anymore, but I've noticed that over time - and specifically over the course of having HIV - that every time I use them for more than 3 days in a row, I get a sinus infection which morphs into a cold. Is this just bad timing or has anyone else experienced something similar? I never had that happen before HIV!

Offline DancerBoy

Re: Let's talk about poppers...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 10:56:41 pm »
Can't say that I've noticed getting a sinus infection after poppers.  But I love 'em.  I don't get to use them that often... Though, I have noticed if I go a little crazy, I get a really bad headache.
-D
Boys are Stupid

Offline AtomicA

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 10:59:23 pm »
that would be from all the blood vessile's in your brain constricting again after they dilate. Make no mistake, poppers are SO bad for you... it's like inhaling gasoline or paint thinner but I heard somewhere that they might also be an immune suppressant.

but oh my yes... I do love them.

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 11:06:04 pm »
Not too familiar with them myself - so did a quick search:

From this site: http://www.aidsmap.com/en/docs/8AFC9F05-E068-4F6A-B5AD-74E95B4DC2FF.asp

Poppers and HIV
The long-term effects of poppers has been a matter of considerable controversy, particularly as it has been argued that their use caused AIDS and particularly Kaposi's sarcoma. However, this view is not supported by any scientific evidence and studies comparing the effects of poppers on HIV-negative and HIV-positive gay men found that only those with HIV suffered any immune damage or progressed to AIDS. However, some animal studies have shown that poppers can suppress immune responses and can have cancer causing effects. These studies have been criticised because of the relatively large amounts of nitrites given to animals. Any long-term immune damage or cancer causing effects in humans remains to be proven.

General health concerns
After-effects of sniffing poppers may include headache, skin rashes, weakness, sinus pains and burns if the liquid comes into contact with the skin. Sniffing poppers can also cause feelings of nausea and vomiting. People with heart or lung problems are advised to avoid poppers as they can cause breathing problems. In very rare cases excessive sniffing of poppers can cause the lips and skin to take on a blue tinge accompanied by vomiting, and shock, and unconsciousness may follow. In extreme cases deaths have been reported.
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline Eldon

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 12:01:49 am »
Hey Adam...

I am glad that you brought this conversation up. In fact, there was a discussion abck in June 06' on this very subject. here is the link to it:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=447.0

Happy Reading!

Happy Holidays!

Offline AtomicA

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 12:13:23 am »
THanks Eldon! That was very useful and informative. Basically, don't do them a whole lot seems to be the message there.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 12:38:17 am »
I know they can really make your eyes sting when they are accidentally spilled into them during the heat of the moment.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AtomicA

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 12:48:41 am »
or if you take to big a whiff on a full fresh bottle. mmmm, just like snorting fire...

Offline fearless

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 05:01:38 pm »
Can't say I've ever been lucky enough AtomicA to "use them three days in a row", well not for a very long time. Lucky you, or is that, lucky other boy.  ::)

I do get a bit snotty and sinusy after using them though - you can just imagine what it does to the sensitive lining on the inside of your nose.
Lately, I've been theorising as to whether they also give me the squirts afterwards.  :o This project, however, is still in the information gathering phase.

On an historical note, I remember a mate and i snorting away on a bottle while bopping around on the dance floor, many many years ago. Someone bumped and he spilt the whole bottle on his t-shirt. The constant hit was too much and he hit the deck. I had to drag him off the dancefloor, rip his t-shirt off and douse him in water to bring him back round. We both get a good chuckle over that one.  ;D

steve
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 05:03:38 pm »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm WHORE JUICE!!!!  Turned me into my alter ego!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Longislander

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 05:05:56 pm »
nothing but metal smell and lousy tasting kissing, if'n u ask me>............
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 05:43:29 pm »
When I used it (many years ago) I got red spots on my eyelids...
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 05:49:23 pm »
When I used it (many years ago) I got red spots on my eyelids...

On the inside or outside!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 05:56:16 pm »
I'll admit it, I do them from time to time (like four times a year)... since I operate on "at least it's not heroin" logic since I stopped doing heroin three years ago, I feel justified... because at least poppers aren't heroin.

I feel very retro when I do them. 

No nasty after-effects, though.  Perhaps I'm just lucky.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 05:59:11 pm »
Jungle Juice jungle boy!   "Down Eric, down.."  Oops... Then hiv "poppered up"... Blast!

Offline bear60

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 06:03:35 pm »
Lets talk about how our local Leather Shop cant keep enough poppers in stock.  Its their best selling item. 
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 06:12:17 pm »
On the outside of my eyelids...and may little red veins as well.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Just John

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 06:58:03 pm »
I'm with the snotties on this one, more than a couple of whiffs and my ever present sinus problem has a serious flare up which lasts for for days. :'(

It's worth it sometimes though ;)
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 07:27:42 pm »
What's with the talking  ;) - matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.