Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:05:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 357
Total: 359

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bush commutes Libby's prison sentence  (Read 9663 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Nadine

Re: Bush commutes Libby's prison sentence
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 07:02:07 pm »
I just heard about that too Ray...

UNBELIEVABLE!  but no, not a surprise at all.

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 07:54:39 pm »
This is about as surprising as pink hot pants in a Walmart.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 07:57:13 pm »
Libby will probably get a job on Fox News next week.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 08:13:18 pm »
Libby will probably get a job on Fox News next week.

Yep !! I can see that happenning. He's got to make some money and pay off that $250,000 fine. I"m sure the money has already been raised for that !!
The pardon will follow soon !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 08:30:20 pm »
I'm not suprised but he has to go a long ways to out do Clinton.

http://www.usdoj.gov/pardon/clintonpardon_grants.htm
http://www.usdoj.gov/opa/pardonchartlst.htm

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 08:54:53 pm »

http://www.usdoj.gov/pardon/clintonpardon_grants.htm
http://www.usdoj.gov/opa/pardonchartlst.htm

Did any of those obstruct justice to shield Al Gore?  No, I don't think so.

It's not the subject or amount of pardons/commutations, but the substance of the charge.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 09:06:26 pm »
It doesn't really matter. That is a Presidents privilege to pardon. We may not like it, but congress gave them that power. Who didn't think Bush wouldn't parden Libby? That's something you can bitch to your congressmen/women about.

Offline libvet

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 09:19:57 pm »

I'm beginning to think that there is a replacement for Godwin's Law.  Perhaps we can call it Libvet's Law:  As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Clinton approaches one.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 09:37:58 pm »
What?  The President can pardon, or commute a sentence?  OMG, I have to call Turkey Hill right away!

...oops, too late. Time was served.

:P

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 09:39:08 pm »
It doesn't really matter. That is a Presidents privilege to pardon. We may not like it, but congress gave them that power. Who didn't think Bush wouldn't parden Libby? That's something you can bitch to your congressmen/women about.

Oh, I wasn't making the argument that it was illegal.  Who would do that?

But comparing it as of the same substance as anyone Clinton pardoned is disingenuous.  This was the highest White House official since Iran-Contra to be convicted of a felony.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 09:58:51 pm »
I think Obama's statement was eloquent:

"This decision to commute the sentence of a man who compromised our national security cements the legacy of an Administration characterized by a politics of cynicism and division, one that has consistently placed itself and its ideology above the law. This is exactly the kind of politics we must change so we can begin restoring the American people's faith in a government that puts the country's progress ahead of the bitter partisanship of recent years."  Barak Obama.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 07:30:06 am »
Libby did not get a full pardon. He got his sentence commuted. He still lost his license to practice law. He still has the 250K to pay in fines. He's just not going to spend 30 months in prison.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 07:38:35 am »
As is stated, this is not surprising anyone.
xxx,
Mike
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 07:48:15 am by mjmel »

Offline randym431

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 08:04:26 am »
Phone conversation heard between Cheney and Libby:

<ring ring> (Libby)HELL-0?
(Cheney)Ah, ah, um, Scoot?
(Libby)Dick? Is that you?
(Cheney)Ah, um, ah, yep, yep its old Dicky boy, hehehe.
(Libby)Oh, Dick, whats up?
(Cheney)Ah, um, well, um, heard you needed a little loan, a bit of a loan, um, a loan?
(Libby)Oh, well, yea, that would be nice, right now that is, nice. And thank you for offering Dick.
(Cheney)Um, oh, um, "G" passed along to give ya  call, a call and see. Or, well, just see.
(Libby)"G" did that? He's a real friend, he's such a Saint. I can't thank him enough, you know.
(Cheney)Um, well, um, thats ok. Thats ok, um, Scoot. Really ok.
(Libby)Well, Dick, I'd sure be thankful. And pay you back with interest.
(Cheney)Um, oh Scoot, no need to pay it back. We'll, um, we'll just take it from those poor fucks. The ones on food stamps.
Those fucks that voted those fuck you Democrats, un, Democrats in last time.
(Libby)Right-tee-o hehehe
(Cheney)Um, ah, HAHAHAHAHA
(Libby)Hehehehehe
(Cheney)Um, HAHAHAHAHAhaha, um.
(Libby)Thanks old Dick. Old friend. And be sure to tell "G" I really owe him, and thank him. A lot, thank him, a lot, Dick.
(Cheney)Oh, um, well, yea, will do. Will do, after "G", um, gets over being shit faced. Um, the coke party, ya know, um last night. Some, um, prime stuff. Ummm, A1 stuff.
(Libby)Yea, well when he's back with us, tell him for me. Sorry I missed the big bang. Really sorry.
(Cheney)Um, well, ya know, Barbara comes thru. She, um, always comes thru.
(Libby)Yea, she's a great mom. "G"is a lucky sob. Later Dick.
(Cheney)Um, yea, later. Fuck the poor hehehe. later Scoot. <click>
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 08:10:29 am by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 08:29:27 am »
Libby should have used the same tactics the Clintons used, attack the prosecutor everyday of the week till he had no credibility left,but they didnt.  The prosecutor in the Libby case did learn that Libby was not the leaker before the trial even started,the leaker was Richard Armitrage,part of ColinPowells appeasement team at the state dept.
But we still dont know if his leak was really a leak of anything secret. Everyone on the DC cocktail circuit knew Valerie worked for CIA,most did not know she was undercover,but there is a question of whether she was undercover. The prosecutor would not allow Plame to testify as a witness or whether she was actually undercover.  Libby was never allowed to question his accuser. That is a fact. It also a fact that her husband has lied on numerous occasions. The story he told the CIA on his return from Africa is entirely different the story he tells in public. In the CIA report he says Iraquis were trying to buy yellow cake,in public he says the the Iraquis were not trying to buy yellow cake.
As far as comparing the commuting of the prison sentence and the sure to come pardon(if Liddys appeal fails)to the numerous pardons Clinton sold for money is ridiculous. There is not enough room here to list his pardon deals,but one can never forget that he did pardon arch criminal oil traders Marc Rich right after his wife donated a ton of money to his library. He did pardon a group of Puerto Rican terrorists who were in prison for a terror plot and killing a US policeman so his wife could win favor with the Puerto Rican voters in NY.
On the other hand if Bush had not wasted a year trying to placate the UN,Euros,US media,the US anti american party,and Colin Powell,and had invaded Iraq earlier and let the Military win he wouldnt be having most of these problems. Now with proof that Iran is supplying the terrorists in Iraq and even after the kidnapping of British Soldiers it appears that Bush has lost his will to destroy those who support terror,if he ever had it,and is taking up the appeasement route of his predecessors. If we are not gonna invade Iran and kill the enemy in Iraq,we should just come home.

Offline randym431

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 09:09:59 am »
Seriously,
50% of Americans still think Saddam Hussein attacked us on 9/11.
And more than that have no idea who Libby is, what he did, or why Bush got involved.
And whats really sad, they will never care enough to know.

FYI,
Bush & Cheney lied about Saddam Hussein, to get us into war.
Cheney said "no doubt, Saddam Hussein has a nuke program".
Valerie Plame was CIA. And looking into the nuke situation.
She found it to be not true. And knew Bush and Cheney was misleading the country.
Cheney, in his nature, leaked her name, to in fact end her CIA career.

Libby Lied in his testimony, to save Cheney's ass. Knowing Bush would come through later on.
We will now never know what was behind, who was behind, duping Americans into a war.
If there ever was to be an Anti Christ on Earth, the Bush admin is full of candidates.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 09:26:32 am »
WOW, it was never said that Saddam Hussein attacked us on 9/11. It was said that he harbored those that did. Don't confuse Saddam Hussein and Oussama Ben Laden.

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 09:31:03 am »
WOW, it was never said that Saddam Hussein attacked us on 9/11. It was said that he harbored those that did. Don't confuse Saddam Hussein and Oussama Ben Laden.

So did Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Iran and Syria, openly.   Let's go to war with them too.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 09:43:21 am »
Before it's over with, we probably will be at war with them. I see Iran in the cross hairs now, if dipomatic talks fail, we'll see the people turn on their government which is in the making.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 09:48:08 am »
I believe the comment about the war is that 40% of Americans still believe that Iraq was behind 911.  After all these years, that comment should worry the rest of us greatly.

As to Libby and all that crap, what else did you expect from this administration???

It is time for Congress to seriously begin impeachment proceedings against both Bush and Cheney under the section of the Constitution that covers treason and sedition.  And after their conviction they can be shipped to Guantanemo to serve out their lives as the "enemy combatants" they truly are.

I have never hated anyone in my life, but no longer.  In my opinion, neither Bush nor Cheney are fit to live, let alone lead.  I believe they are truly evil, as only evil can send troops to their deaths, in a war that is based solely on their lies.  Comparing them to Hitler or Stalin is no longer any stretch of the imagination.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 09:59:42 am by killfoile »

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2007, 11:02:05 am »
Libby was stupid. He should not have tried to recollect. He should have used the ole line from Hill and bill, I don know, I dont recall, I have no recollection,and attack the prosecutor with false accusations 24/7.
If the trial was about leaking why didnt the prosecutor go after the leaker, Richard Armitrage? Probably because it was mostly a political trial in an attempt to get Cheney by the nutjobs and Plame was never in any real position of importance or secrecy. Why would you have an investigation of who leaked, find out who leaked and then not go after him?
This 40% or 50% number on the people who think Iraq was responsible for 911 is from where? Where did we get these numbers? Oh yeah, from the anti american party. Look, just about every Democrat including al gore,kerry,and clinton called for the ouster of Saddam because they and everyone else in the world had intelligence he was developing wmds, had violated many UN sanctions,was harboring terrorist training camps,and was financing Palestine children as delivery systems for weapons. Finally we get someone who has the balls to do something and we get cold feet? I am not suggesting in any way that this war in Irag has been fought as a war should be fought, and that is Bushes fault, but he made the correct decision going in.
And when are some of the people here who were blaming Bush for causing hurricanes a couple of years ago,gonna start saluting him today because we have had no major storms in almost two years. How do argue with people who blame the daily weather on the president?
Comparing Bush to Hitler or Stalin is a slur against every person those butchers murdered and those who fought to defeat them.
I give up. If you are gonna go after Bush,attack him for what he has done wrong. He has failed to stop enormous spending by his own party, he has fought this Iraq war like we did in Nam and Korea and that is a fucking sin, he has gone so far to the middle on many issues and spending he has pushed the Democratic party into positions no one can defend and made them the anti american party, but to do this he has destroyed his base and those who believe in a financially responsible government

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007, 11:09:18 am »
Libby did not get a full pardon. He got his sentence commuted. He still lost his license to practice law. He still has the 250K to pay in fines. He's just not going to spend 30 months in prison.

He'll get the full pardon in early January '09 and the invoice for the 250K will be marked "uncollectable" and shoved in a drawer.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 11:16:08 am »
I just don't know what to say...

I never dreamed this would happen.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007, 11:29:53 am »
Joe, do you remember this statement? "I did not have sexual relationships with that woman." How soon we forget. He didn't only lie to the senate, he lied on television to all the american people.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007, 11:32:55 am »
There is not enough room here to list his pardon deals,but one can never forget that he did pardon arch criminal oil traders Marc Rich right after his wife donated a ton of money to his library.

I do sincerely hope you realize that Scooter Libby was Marc Rich's lawyer.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 03:48:58 pm »
He is a douchebag!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2007, 03:58:26 pm »

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007, 04:27:45 pm »
I am absolutely NOT surprised - - I'm horrified by it, but NOT surprised.  Nor am I surprised that the White House won't promise to NOT pardon him later (they'll have to consider it, if he ever asks).  Such rubbish -- W probably did it because Scooter threatened to talk if he spent one night in prison.....  President, um, I mean VP Cheney couldn't have that happening!

Now Jack -- you seem awfully sure that sending Americans to die in Iraq was the "right thing to do" and that they only thing W has done wrong is to not fight to win.  I do hope, given you eagerness, that you have spent time in uniform AND in a war zone, because if you have not then I ask you to tone down your bloodthirst.  I had the "pleasure" of serving in Iraq during George I's little war -- I found it to be pure hell, and I know I had a cakewalk compared to the guys there now.  It is easy for someone who has never served to send troops (and yes, Clinton fits that too), but it takes an absolute lunatic to lie in order to get us there, to claim "mission accomplished" when everyone knew it wasn't, to make the comment "Bring it on" to the nut jobs that came out of the woodwork once Saddam was gone and to insist that HE STILL KNOWS BEST -- and that the majority of the American public is stupid (OK -- a majority did vote him in ONCE -- so that may be true).  One last thing -- the difference between this fiasco and Korea or Vietnam is that, if we had won in Vietnam or Korea, there was a gov't to take over (i.e. South Vietnam and South Korea), of course we didn't win.  In Iraq, we (sort of) won the initial war -- no more Saddam -- but we hadn't given a moments thought to what would happen then -- who would "take charge", so now we are stuck.  I hope that distinction is clear to you.

Mike

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2007, 12:15:57 am »
He'll get the full pardon in early January '09 and the invoice for the 250K will be marked "uncollectable" and shoved in a drawer.
Unfortunately Philly may be 100% right. People will have other things to think about in Jan '09 and scooter will just be an old name that nobody will remember.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2007, 08:14:41 am »
Comparing them to Hitler or Stalin is no longer any stretch of the imagination.

Sorry Joe

It's the law.

MtD :)

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2007, 09:26:42 am »
Philly,
   Where did you get that photo of Ann Coulter without makeup?
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2007, 10:58:01 am »
FINALLY, after 7 years we finally get to see the true meaning of what it means to be a "Compassionate Conservative".
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2007, 10:13:53 pm »
Of course, by now, people know that quite a few Republicans in government are raising the money to pay Scooter's fine.  You would think that the American people would be even more suspicious of Bush and his administration.  My sister is right-wing and it just makes me want to hurl.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.