Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:55:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 329
Total: 329

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Low grade fever for over a month  (Read 5258 times)

Offline JessieJames

Low grade fever for over a month
« on: May 13, 2013, 03:36:07 am »
I went on a business trip and I immediately came down with a respiratory infection.  I had the chills and the whole nine yards, I thought it was pneumonia.  I started round 1 of antibiotics, and it sort of worked, but the congestion remained and the fever became low grade. 

I went on anti-biotcs round two.  No effect. 

On physical exam, two doc were sure I had TB again.  I did the sputum tests, the blood tests, x-rays and a CT.  No TB. 

It felt exactly like the TB did the first time I had it, but at that time, my CD4 was 85....

But I still have the low grade fever.  It comes and goes all day.  I just got a CD4 back: 520.  Actually a slight increase from my last 6 months ago. (It has been hovering around 500 for three years now.)  I am awaiting the viral load results. (I have gone over three years undetectable.)

The fever is not high, never more than 37.8 C.  But I feel it coming and then going after Tylenol.  I always have mild liver dysfunction.   

I have had all sorts of tests, but no doctors seem to have any answers.  In fact, they don't seem that concerned.  But I feel like crap!  Not totally out of; I can work (from home), but I am sweating all the time, especially after the fever breaks. 

I am also having occasional and only mild night sweats.  (Nothing like when I had TB; the pillow and the area around my torso gets damp, not wet.)

I am just concerned because it has been nearly 40 days now.  Any advice? 

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
Re: Low grade fever for over a month
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 04:19:55 am »
Not Nice ,where did the busness trip take you ? and where are you based
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Anqueetas

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 07:19:36 am »
Do your upper respiratory infection completely cleared? Sometime sinusitis can cause low grade fever that don't go away as well. Antibiotic sometime don't work while use for sinusitis due to low blood supply in the sinus.

If you don't know what to do, go see an ENT and let him have a look. :)
ARS, hospitalized for very high fever-July 2011
diagnosed HIV positive - October 16 2011
CD4 460 19.5% VL 49000 - late October 2011
CD4 625 19.5% VL 50030 - January 2012
CD4 369 19% VL 69000 - March 2012
Start Sustiva+ Truvada - April 17 2012
CD4 524 24.5% VL UD - August 22 2012
Switch to Nevirapine+Truvada
CD4 490 26% VL UD - November 2012
CD4 539 29% VL UD - February 2013
CD4 621 28% VL UD - May 2013

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 12:01:54 pm »
I had this happen in the early 90's and it was an allergic reaction to the sulfa in an anti-biotic. Not saying this is what is going on with you but I suppose it's worth asking the doctor.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 01:32:05 pm »
Sorry to hear that you are going through this.

I am also allergic to sulfur based drugs just as Ms. P. notes.  I had an awful reaction to Bactrim (an antibiotic) in the 1980s. 

Here is a link to the side-effects information about Bactrim: http://www.drugs.com/sfx/bactrim-side-effects.html

You may want to connect back with your doctor to see if you are having an allergic reaction or something else is going on.

Take care.

"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline JessieJames

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 02:30:00 am »
I am based in Cambodia and the trip was to Bangkok. 

My chest congestion has cleared (CT scan looked cleaned) and my cough is gone, but I have residual nasal congestion. 

Thank you for your advice and counsel.  I actually have an appointment with an ENT, but the doctors here in Cambodia are not the best.  My primary care doctor is well trained, but he does not do very well with anything outside of HIV/AIDS. 

I am off all antibiotics now. 

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have hypertension as well.   My lying down blood pressure is 140/90.  I have started medication for it, and I am feeling better. 

I smoke, and when I feel well, I run.  But I have not felt well enough to run for nearly a year.  I have run only a half dozen times in the last 12 months.  It was okay the day of the run, but the second, and especially the third caused me to sleep the whole day. 

I miss running; I would like to get back to it.  (I don't have high blood pressure when I am running.) 

I will look into the sinusitis. 

I am going home for a while at the end of June.  If my viral load is undetectable (and I have CD4 hovering around 5oo for three years) could I wait until I got home? 

I have been fortunate in that my last few contract have allowed me to work from home; I have set up an office in my bed with two screen and my flat screen hooked to my computer.  With Skype and other VOIP, I can stay at home for the next couple of months. 

But I don't want to! 

I have also had a loss of appetite, but after the first loss of two kilos I have halted the weight loss.  (I have learned how to eat when nauseous or  feverish. ) 

I spent nearly a year in bed with my first bought of TB; it was systemic.  I also began ARV treatment at the same time.  I am fairly good at 'being sick'. 

But I would like to feel better.  I am hoping that American doctors might be able to help me a bit more.  I have been, for the most part, heading my own treatment since 2006. 

I am a lawyer; I believe that a lawyer that represents himself has a fool for a client. I believe the metaphor true for medical care as well.  I will end this. 

Again, thanks for all the help.  It is truly appreciated.  I wish you all happy and healthy days ahead! 

Offline JessieJames

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 02:33:21 am »
"I am also allergic to sulfur based drugs just as Ms. P. notes.  I had an awful reaction to Bactrim (an antibiotic) in the 1980s."

I did as well when my CD4 was plummeting.  I had a type 4 rash and had to come off it immediately.  Many of the patients had the same problems, but the doctors kept them on the Bactrim. 

I have found that in Asia, as long as a patient has a good CD4 record and no viral load, that they are "fine".  No problems.  Again, I think it is time to get the Americans on the case. 

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 10:12:25 am »
Yes, it does sound like a good ole thorougher med check up and down , would be a good idea , leading to some more comfortable and energetic days.

Wish you luck , hope you are able to get the medical care you need , keep us posted.

m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 06:00:07 pm »
Sinus infection - might be worth checking into.

For what its worth, i used to get low-grade fevers and profuse sweating when I had either EBV or Chronic Fatique, long before I had HIV infection. Epstein Barr.  There's controversy as to whether this exists or not as a disease, but during the bouts of low energy, fever and sweating, I also had EBV tests and levels were high. 

It always made sense to me that a virus could be causing my malaise. 

As I had to keep my job and also, being young, I would just plow through the malaise, which lasted a few months each time.  During this time, I would also get sinus infections....

I would be drenched in sweat with any sort of movement.

I guess this may not be very helpful or precise, but maybe you have some sort of viral infection (in addition to the HIV) that is taxing your immune system, and laying you low...
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.