Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:31:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 600
Total: 600

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: question about physicals for job  (Read 5529 times)

Offline tippytu

question about physicals for job
« on: August 03, 2013, 02:04:49 am »
My husband's employer is requiring everyone to take a physical.. I asked my hubby if they have previously drawn blood in his other physicals he said yes...my question is is it routine for them to check for HIV during physicals? He is positive but hasn't had one since being positive.. second question if they do test can they just inform his employer?

I know it's illegal for them to fire him just for being HIV positive but I'm sure if they find out they will find another reason to fire him

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: question about physicals for job
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 06:46:37 am »
Hi Tippy,

Can I ask you what line of work your husband is in, without getting too personal, or detailed. Is it a physical type of job?

I've never had a company physical done in all the years that I have worked. They may be testing for drug use, they may be checking for cholesterol levels. They also could possibly be testing for diseases.  Depending on his field, a tuberculosis test may be done.

Overall, I would think a company, would require a physical, to make sure that the the employee can perform the job that's required.   That the employee is healthy and not overweight ETC..

Also, if he smokes, that may be held against him in the physical. Most companies these days are not hiring smokers, and more and more places of business are going "smoke Free", and hiring nonsmokers.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 06:49:51 am »
Tippy

Another question,  ..... Does he currently get his health insurance through the workplace, and a group health plan?How many employes are there ?

Ray
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 06:52:24 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 07:07:26 am »

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Workplace/Q223632.html?ic=2003

Question:

"I went for a physical for employment for a construction company after I submitted a drug screen test and passed wat was the urine test for the physical? Was it to see if I have aids or stds of some sort so they would know if I was to get hurt or end up bleeding all over the place? "

Answer:

" Very doubtful. In most, if not all, states it is illegal to perform an HIV antibody test on you without your specific consent. It was just a screen for illegal drugs.

Further, as long as the pre-employment exam shows that you are able to do the job, they cannot withdraw the offer of employment that they made before the exam. "

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 07:32:22 am »

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline tippytu

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 11:49:57 am »
Yes the job is somewhat physical..this isn't preemployment tho he has worked for them for 10 years. Yes we have health insurance thru them & it is group but the company is a very very large company, but they are required to go overseas & must have a physical before they go.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 12:29:21 pm »
Is he is going to a country that doesn't allow HIV+ foreigners?

(Just an aside to other members - a US company can NOT hire a smoker, and it's legal?)
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline darryaz

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 01:35:54 pm »
(Just an aside to other members - a US company can NOT hire a smoker, and it's legal?)

Here's an article I found:
http://www.hrmorning.com/ban-hiring-smokers/

Probably the point that best answers your question is the statement "there’s no federal law that protects smokers".

Offline buginme2

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 07:24:37 pm »

I have a friend that works for Alaska airlines and they are a smoke free company and won't hire you if you smoke (and they do a test pre employment to check).  I went to their website and pulled this from the FAQ section.

Yes, Alaska Airlines is a smoke free company. In order to be considered for a position, a candidate must be nicotine free for at least 6 months from the day they interview for a position. In a few states, employers are restricted from asking questions regarding nicotine use. In such states, Alaska does not consider nicotine use in determining employment eligibility.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline tippytu

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 09:50:07 pm »
My husband doesn't smoke...the question was if they will test for hiv during physical for job

Offline mecch

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 09:53:26 pm »
it is testing before going oversas to work? What country?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 12:19:42 am »
My partner has to do a physical every year, for his volunteer firefighter position.  They do CBC, lipids, and all that good stuff.  They do not do any STI tests.  You would have to give your expressed, written permission for an HIV test.  I honestly can't think of any job, where that knowledge would even be necessary. 

Offline tippytu

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 01:06:34 am »
He's going to africa

Offline mecch

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 04:32:19 am »
He's going to africa
Big continent.
There are restrictions on foreigners with HIV in some North African countries.  I asked not to invade your privacy, just to point out that if the company sends workers to countries with HIV restrictions, that might be a reason they might test for HIV. 
Maybe you can ask an ASO in your State, what the restrictions are on such possible testing on employees in your state.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.