Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:03:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773214
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 464
Total: 467

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Questions about HIV science  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Pete_

• Standard
Questions about HIV science
« on: January 12, 2020, 01:58:06 am »
Not sure if this is the right section to post this, but have been researching the mechanism of replication of HIV to try to better understand the nature of the disease. Also interested in learning more about cellular health and the immune system.

This by far is the most informative article I have came across describing the virus itself: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4452072/

From what I understand, a CD4 cell is necessary for the virus to replicate. I am no expert, so much of the science is way above my head. And I’m sure what I’m going to ask has already thought of. More or less would like to know why it wouldn’t work. 

So, if CD4 host cells are required for HIV to replicate, and ART therapies can help stop free virus replication, what if all CD4 cells were killed and the patient was kept alive long enough to receive ART to kill off the virus, then received a blood transfusion of HIV- to replenish CD4 cells after virus was gone? 

I’m guess either it’s not possible, or would been to hazardous to health, or no way to functionally eliminate all of both the HIV virus copies and CD4 cells.

Obviously, this would be more of a AIDs cure, rather than HIV cure, since if your early diagnosed with HIV, you can’t regain healthy levels of CD4 cells, so such a risky option would not make sense. However, for patients with very low CD4 count at diagnosis, could it be possible? At diagnosis I had 5 CD4 count, however, I know some people get to 0 - but 0 CD4 count doesn’t mean they have 0 in their entire body, it just means 0 in the ML of blood tested/counted. But if you already had near 0 to start with, if you could eliminate the rest of the CD4 cells completely(for say maybe a week or a month, while in a sterile hospital condition or induce coma or something) while having high level of ART therapy- could the it be possible to eliminate HIV completely- and would it be possible to regain CD4 cells after? Or only way is the bone marrow transplant with genetic mutation?

Like I said, I am not an expert in this type of medicine or science, so this idea might seem dumb to an expert. But from my limited knowledge, it’s the best idea I have have. Would probably be too dangerous for human testing and would probably increase risk of secondary infection before treatment was complete. I’m also guessing it would be nearly impossible to get every copy of the virus. I also may misunderstand how ART works, if it doesn’t destroy free viruses not yet attached to CD4 cells, again it wouldn’t work. 

I am just trying to learn more and understand more. After reading the linked article, my heart kinda sunk realizing that the increase of CD4 cells also equates to higher viability for the HIV virus to replicate. Being newly diagnosed, not a pleasant thought. While I don’t want to get my hopes up, would be the awesome if we could have a full cure within the decade, and bone marrow transplant sure aint exactly the answer we need(I’m sure that doesn’t need to be reiterated that here, I’m sure all of you know that all too well by now). Just a thought.

I get that ART is a damn good option, and I hope I will recover to a point where this suggestion sounds silly to me on the future with existing medications. Not there yet and right now I’m really praying for a complete cure.

Wondering if this idea has been discussed before, and if anyone could point me to some related studies or literature on the topic, I would like to learn more.

Any book suggestions would be great too, especially anything very up to date on latest studies and treatment - or books the better learn the basics of cellular and viral science. If anything could help me better understand nutrition and supplements relative to immune health and this disease to better navigate my own recovery.

Offline Grasshopper

Re: Questions about HIV science
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 05:19:55 am »
Look up or Google: "Timothy Ray Brown"  first patient cured hiv. He had undergone a gene transplant to get rid of the hiv virus.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Questions about HIV science
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 08:25:59 am »
Not sure if this is the right section to post this, but have been researching the mechanism of replication of HIV to try to better understand the nature of the disease. Also interested in learning more about cellular health and the immune system.
https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-life-cycle

So, if CD4 host cells are required for HIV to replicate, and ART therapies can help stop free virus replication, what if all CD4 cells were killed and the patient was kept alive long enough to receive ART to kill off the virus, then received a blood transfusion of HIV- to replenish CD4 cells after virus was gone? 

I’m guess either it’s not possible, or would been to hazardous to health, or no way to functionally eliminate all of both the HIV virus copies and CD4 cells.
so far in the world, two people have had leukemia and since it was killing them already, they agreed to be test subjects. Their immune system was completely eradicated with chemo and radiation (procedures with high death rates). They had bone marrow transplants ( more procedures with high death rates). They barely survived and had huge struggles of simply staying alive and regaining muscle, coordination, etc. Both are technically cured now.

of course, these procedures are in themselves quite deadly and surviving leukemia is another problem in the mix. This kind of "cure" would be unethical to administer to the general population and hugely expensive....and for all we know won't work unless you have leukemia first.

I am just trying to learn more and understand more. After reading the linked article, my heart kinda sunk realizing that the increase of CD4 cells also equates to higher viability for the HIV virus to replicate.
and your heart sunk why? A pill a day (or maybe a few pills a day) is all is takes to stop HIV from eating up those cd4s.

btw you're putting a lot of emphasis on cd4s. While the general rule of thumb is that the more cd4s you have the more illness they will stave off, some people with low cd4s never get sick and some with high cd4s are sick a lot. CD4 counts are simply a quantitative measure of how many cd4s there are and not a measure of how strong/effective those cells are. There is no way to measure the strength of cd4s, so that count is NEVER a measure of how healthy you are. especially since cd4s are only a part of the entire immune system. (lol nobody ever worries about how many cd3s or cd238s they have. there are nearly 400 different CDs (cluster of differentiations from cd1 to cd371) antigens that differentiate leukocytes and other cells in the immune system

Being newly diagnosed, not a pleasant thought. While I don’t want to get my hopes up, would be the awesome if we could have a full cure within the decade
as someone who has lived 30+ years with HIV through 40+ years of this epidemic, stressing/worrying/perhaps unrealistically hoping for a cure is simply a waste of time. I take my meds, with no side effects, every day and actually have no need of a cure. "They" have been suggesting a cure within a decade since 1985 and it ain't happened yet; but we need to keep on living, so the best mindset is to remember to remain adherent to ARVs every day so if/when a cure ever happens you'll be alive for it.

I get that ART is a damn good option,
ART is the ONLY option

If anything could help me better understand nutrition and supplements relative to immune health and this disease to better navigate my own recovery.
have your doctor run blood work to determine if you have any deficiencies. Otherwises supplements are only good to create expensive urine. LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.