Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:35:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 563
Total: 563

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Transplants and Tumors of this stuff I sing....  (Read 5328 times)

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
Transplants and Tumors of this stuff I sing....
« on: June 12, 2008, 09:31:37 pm »
    ....these are a few of my favorite things!

( I was going to post this in the Off Topic forum, but thought that it was more appropriate here. I'm not sure though as this isn't about Living with HIV, though it is about serious health issues. Moderators if you feel the need to move this thread to a different forum, please do so. I promise I won't have a hissy fit ;))

As some of you here on the forums may remember, last year I had an exciting bout with Liver cancer, or, Hepatocellular Carcinoma, HCC for short. I went through a lot of crap from the cancer center here and finally 8 months after being diagnosed, I was finally treated for it. The first treatment was when they shot the tumor full of alcohol, and in addition to being stunningly painful, was also a failure. Timmy the Tumor, as I named it, still lived. A month later they fried the little bastard with electricity and killed him. Timmy was dead ;D

Last week though, after a CT scan, it seems that little Timmy has a sibling. After careful consideration, and in the name of Gender Equality, I have decided that the newbie is Twyla the Tumor. Twyla is about as big as Timmy was, and in the same general area. The idea for treatment this time around is called ChemoEmbolization. This is where they go through an artery in the leg up into the liver. Once there, the shoot something into the artery that blocks off the blood supply to Twyla and starves her to death. As and added bonus, the stuff that blocks the artery is embedded with chemotherapy, so the she gets poisoned at the same time, and the chemo stays in one place rather than going through my entire body. The procedure should only need to be done once, and should be scheduled soon. I will keep you posted...

Earlier this week, I also went to San Francisco to with the Doctor there who is overseeing my upcoming liver transplant. When all was said and done, it seems that mid-September to mid-October is when it will be happening. I will have the required score at the end of August, and then I will have to go to SF and wait for the "We got yer new Liver"call. I could stay in NM and wait, but that would make things difficult as there may be as little as 4 hours prior notification and that is not enough. So at least now I have a time frame I can work with. Get as ready as I can for this. Save some money 'cuz living in SF ain't cheap, and I will need to stay there for at least 6 weeks after the surgery. So there it all is, in a big happy fun ball. Oddly enough though, I don't feel overly stressed about any of this. But then again, I don't get stressed about much as there doesn't seem to be any point in it. I guess I summed it up best earlier whe talkin gto my supervisor at work. Without even realizing what I had said, I made the comment "Jeez, it's just cancer, it's not like it's a big deal or anything." And that my dear kiddies,  is exactly how your ol' CaptCarl feels about it. Have a great day everyone.

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Transplants and Tumors of this stuff I sing....
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 09:54:17 pm »
Sorry to hear that Timmy's bitch sister has rocked up, Cap'n C. It's good to know you're dealing with her so well.

Love,

MtD

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 09:56:51 pm »
Hey Carl,

There used to be a temporary housing program offered with HOPWA funds.  The name Chrip sounds familiar and it is/was develpoed for people living with HIV who would become temporarily homeless.  It was offered in Title I EMA's and San Francisco is.  I would contact The Positive Resourse Center in San Francisco for help    ;D Have the best day
Michael

www.positiveresource.org
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 10:03:40 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 10:30:13 pm »
Hey Capt. Carl

Have you considered hanging around the Sacramento area? It is only 80 miles away and a hell of a lot cheaper (then again it is Sacramento  :-\, but still).

You are handling it well bud, sorry bout Twyla that really sucks.

Take care,

sharkie

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 11:11:47 pm »
The Captain knows how to handle his women.. ;)

Thinking of you.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 11:13:05 pm »
CaptCarl..
I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this. It seems that you have planned this out and have a pretty good handle on what to do.
I wish you all the best.
ronnie
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 08:30:46 am »
My captain, I'm sorry about the new occupier.  You sound like you have a really good handle on it.  I'm thinking about you.
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline bear60

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 10:40:11 am »
Hey Carl
I hope everything works out for you.  I think the housing thing can be arranged somehow!  Doesnt the hospital have some advice....input....information...counseling....etc to offer?

Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 11:01:55 am »
Capt. Carl is teh bestest -- always with a fighting spirit.  Sorry to hear the news and will be thinking of you. 
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 11:40:22 am »
Wow, Carl -- that's a full plate!  But you're handling it with good planning, and a dash of humor -- the best combo for fighting back.

Good luck with the move to SF.

Peter

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 07:14:44 pm »
hey capt Karl.

that really sucks buddy...

I just had two skincancers removed. one on my back and last week, one on my leg.
They were both malignant.

But wenn I hear about your ordeal, mine seems peanuts

Good luck in killing Twyla.

Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 07:55:50 pm »
   Hey Kiddies! Thanks for the concern and advice regarding housing. I was talking to a friend today at work, who, ironcially also has cancer. She has offered me the use of her 32 foot motorhome. I checked on RV spaces, and they are much cheaper than renting an apartment, and as an extra added bonus, I should be able to bring at least two of the dogs with me, which would be great. Baby Elmo cannot take being away from her dad fro too long. When I was gone for the four days this past week, she basically stopped eating, and spent most of her time moping under the coffee table. I called the Liverologist today and they will be setting the appointment next week for my latest abortion, RIP Twyla ;D

CaptCarl

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 03:20:13 pm »
Glad to hear you have the housing issue solved. It is great that you will be able to have your dogs with you. Take care and be strong.

Ford

Offline bear60

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 04:43:17 pm »
Carl
How close to the city are the RV spaces?
Just curious.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Iggy

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 06:04:30 pm »
I'm sorry to read of this happening to you, though inspired by the way you are handling. 

My best wishes for you in this time.

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 06:52:01 am »
Bear,
   I have found a few pretty close in, the closest one being in Pacifica. The downsid is that it looks like a parking lot, with very little space between the RVs, but it is on a bluff overlooking the Pacific. There are a few up north, about an hours drive away that look nicer with trees and space and all that godawful nature type crap ;)

CaptCarl

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 07:06:44 am »
Bear,
   I have found a few pretty close in, the closest one being in Pacifica. The downsid is that it looks like a parking lot, with very little space between the RVs, but it is on a bluff overlooking the Pacific. There are a few up north, about an hours drive away that look nicer with trees and space and all that godawful nature type crap ;)

CaptCarl

Check the burbs Capt. I know there use to be one in Vallejo (North Bay) which ain't too far from the city. Good luck my friend.

Hal

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 08:17:31 pm »
If an hour drive is not too much, there are several places on Santa Rosa Ave, North on 101.  There are also a couple of nice friendly places on the Russian River but that is an hour and a half commute.  Add an extra hour during peak traffic.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Check Bolinas, Hwy 1 North
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 08:19:32 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 08:34:20 pm »
You're a brave guy Carl, and I wish you nothing but the best.   I hope you will soon be able to give us a "good report".

Keeping you in my prayers.....

Alan  :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline YaKaMein

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 10:16:17 pm »
Capt

Sounds like something's looking up for ya! Thoughts are with you
YaKa
09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 09:51:32 am »
Hey Carl,

Kick Twyla's ass out the door, hon.

I was hoping to see you and your other half last weekend at Pride, but I didn't make it down to the city.

Copious amounts of positive energy heading your way.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.