Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:11:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 513
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 465
Total: 465

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Best Buys commercial (USA)  (Read 3638 times)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Best Buys commercial (USA)
« on: February 23, 2007, 12:34:45 am »
has anyone seen the latest series of commercials for Best Buys and their computer sales? It is a "parody" of dating commercials, with a pleasant, caucasian woman talking about what she is looking for in her computer/mate.

One of her presentation points is that she wants her partner/computer to be "virus free."

I get the double meaning. I do. Its clever.

But it made me feel that thing in my throat. You know, that dirty feeling. Am I being too sensitive?

Oddly, since the woman was looking for a laptop, she should have said that she didn't want any fatties either. But she didn't go there. And she coulda specified whether she wanted a white one.

But she didn't.

Anyhow, am I overreacting? Or is this another nasty stigma?

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Best Buys commercial (USA)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 12:39:55 am »
I haven't seen the commercials, but, considering the context, I don't like the double entendre.

Parody or not, I always have a negative gut reaction when someone uses terms like "clean" or "virus free."

Maybe we are being too sensitive. But too many people still think that way.

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 12:45:25 am »
Yeah I saw that and thought the same thing. Oversensitive? Maybe. Check out some of the adds from the paper and I think they say "Drug and disease free". For the clever computer double-take that wouldn't work. Computers get viruses and if you are dating you don't want someone with a virus - the two that spring to mind are Herpes and HIV.....HepC at a push. I think if you got Best Buys PR on the phone they would claim that this is commonly used in dating ads and if it is anyone's fault it is the dating adds. Maybe I have heard to much PR BS and just doubt the whole industry.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 12:50:08 am »
Yeah, I agree with you both. Its omnipresent. As is our stigma, and our collective required shame. I just don't do shame that well anymore. And I am reticent to promote or participate. Maybe I ough tto write a letter... But how sad when my only real response would probably be a manufactured reply and maybe a twenty five dollar gift card.

People suck. Sometimes I forget that. Best Buys reminded me.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 12:53:41 am »
It's the sad fact. HIV has been around for so long that people have become immune to it - even though 40 million are infected and 1 million die per year in Africa (about the number who died in that Tsunami about every two months).

I imagine you would get a corporate response and a gift card. They are hardly going to pull the ad. Hey, maybe you could by a Project (Red) phone? Oh don't get me started....

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 12:58:21 am »
:::shudder:::

I dont even wear red anymore. screw that. When Bono decides to pay taxes, I might start taking him seriously. Plus, you know how I feel about empty PR gestures.

People that want to make a difference in HIV infection can start not by buying more crap, but by volunteering to deliver meals or combating the stigma.

People. What do they do? Suck.

Welcome Thread

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 01:10:52 am »
We don't suck Jonathan. That's 2 out of 6 billion. Anymore takers for the "Do not suck" list?

However, I don't deliver meals to anyone, so I take myself off that list.

R

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 01:50:34 am »
to be fair, the first thing in my head was what I wanted to buy with the gift card. What PS2 game is worth my dignity and self worth?

Hmm... Maybe a Grand Theft Auto.

Welcome Thread

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 05:19:37 am »
Parody or not, I always have a negative gut reaction when someone uses terms like "clean" or "virus free."

Maybe we are being too sensitive. But too many people still think that way.

Mark, I don't think you are being too sensitive. I think its other people being insensitive.
Yesterday, I actually stopped dead in my tracks, whilst reading the article about Tommy Morrison (boxer I believe?). As soon as I read the words: “I was clean every time…” with a roll of my eyes, I closed the link. I don’t have to and will not tolerate the ignorance and insensitivity of others. 

Maybe I ough tto write a letter... But how sad when my only real response would probably be a manufactured reply and maybe a twenty five dollar gift card.

You know, Jonathan, that is so true. I wrote an email the other week to the author of 2 nutrition books I recently purchased, because in his books he had said, and I quote:

"Dietary and Lifestyle Recommedations
- Do not have sexual intercourse with persons known to have or suspected of having HIV..."

and

"Causes
...Primary risk factors for developing AIDS and HIV infection include sexual contact with an HIV-infected person..."

I expressed my “horror” at the misinformation his literature was providing - ie. the complete omission of the word 'unprotected' - and also went on to explain the real facts, with the gentle and polite suggestion to discuss these 'little facts' with his editor when the time came for his books to be republished.

This is the (automated) email I received in return:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting me. Unfortunately, due to the enormous number of
e-mails like yours that I was receiving I am unable to personally answer
your question. In most cases, my website’s Condition Center
(http://www.doctormurray.com/conditions/index.htm) will likely answer your
question. Simply click on the condition that is most relevant to you. If
doing so does not answer your question, please try doing a search on my
website by utilizing the search function available on any page of my
website (http://www.doctormurray.com ). I have tried to pack my website
full of useful information. If you require more support, I would recommend
finding a naturopathic physician in your area by going to
http://www.naturopathic.org.

Again, I apologize.

Sincerely,
Michael T. Murray, N.D.

What a dink! And no bloody gift voucher for Melia. PAH!

Some people - but not all, of course :-* - do indeed suck.

Little Miss Melia :)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 07:56:07 am »
Are you being "oversensitive"?  I don't know -- people feel what they feel -- feelings aren't right or wrong, they just are.
I try, sometimes successfully, sometimes not, to not let others get to me in these kinds of situations.  For instance, when I'm looking for a computer -- I sure as shit want one that is virus-free.  Now I know the ad is going for some double-entendre here, but I have to think back to my pre-diagnosis days --- given the choice of dating someone with HIV or Herpes and someone without -- I probably would have gone with the "virus-free" guy.  Now, I'm not saying that was right -- my diagnosis certainly made me rethink that thought process, but the fact remains that for most negative folks, they think that is the safer route.  More education would be good to help folks understand.  Now as for the whole "clean" thing -- I'm not a big fan of those ads either, but when used in the context of a test result, I'm less concerned.  My mother had breast cancer 20+ yrs ago and for the next 5 yrs had a body scan every 6 months.  Each time the doctor told her that her "scan came back clean".  I don't find that insensitive. 
Bottomline, it would be very easy for me to get upset, hurt or angry over so many things, but I don't want to live like that.  Happily, I'm able to do this most of the times, but there are times where I simply want to scream, so I fully understand what you are saying.

Mike

Offline David_CA

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 10:29:33 am »
Overly sensitive or not, their your opinions and neither right or wrong.  I thought the ads were kinda clever, being an IT person and all, but I have a bit of a warped sense of humor.

It's all about marketing.  If all those with HIV & AIDS boycotted Best Buy, they'd still probably be ahead due to the fact that many others also think the ads are funny.  It's like when a neg person tells a tasteless gay or HIV joke; I get kinda pissed.  If a gay person or HIV+ person tells the same joke, it's not so bad.  I know if a straight person called me 'girl' or 'bitch', I'd get a bit offended, but if another gay person does the same, it doesn't bother me.

I think when we can get to the point that we can ignore those ads, comments, and jokes, we'll be well on our way to totally accepting HIV.  I guess it's like being called "whitey" or "cracker".  Those don't really bother me either. (If those last two lines offend anybody, I'll be glad to remove them; my intent is NOT to offend anybody).

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 11:07:18 am »
I saw the Best Buy commercial and I didn't think about HIV. I barely remember that I saw the commercial it was so unremarkable.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 02:30:18 pm »
I saw it, shuddered, and decided that I was being oversensitive.

But the shudder was real.

Brent
(Who wonders if "undetectable" qualifies)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 03:35:32 pm »
I saw that commercial, and when I heard the "virus-free" bit, I was kinda like, "What ze fuck?" in my best French accent... but I sort of shrugged it off.

Although I did think it a smidge odd that someone going into buying a computer would want it "virus-free."  That usually happens after you get it hooked up to teh Internets. 

Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.