Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:45:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773295
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 573
Total: 573

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Positive Last august 15  (Read 9912 times)

Offline PHLApoz

Positive Last august 15
« on: October 02, 2023, 05:10:09 pm »
Hello everyone

I am a new immigrant in America. I came here in January 2023 from Southeast Asia.
Last august I set an appointment with my primary physician and he ordered HIV screening. To my shock I turned out positive and subsequent tests was done and I found out that my viral load was 111, 364 and my cd4 count was already 84. I am assymptomatic but the diagnosis is already AIDS. I felt so terrible and lost. I could not sleep. I felt I was a disappointment to myself and family knowing that I will have this disability forever. I will also face possible discrimination especially I am working in the healthcare field. I never told anyone fearing of my
Discrimination save for my aunt.

I was referred to an infectious disease physician and she ordered further labs. She has prescribed me to start BIKTARVY. The genome typing reveals that I have subtype AE version of the HIV-1 virus which is the predominant strain in SouthEast asia and has more virulent power. It added more to my depression. Good thing though the labs reveal the virus does not have resistance to anti retroviral drugs. I tried to hide it but the psychological impact of my diagnosis affected my work that I got reprimanded. At that point I wanted to kill myself. But I fought that idea hard.

I made other research concerning the laws on HIV, statistics and assistance. I was revealed that as of 2019 in our lecture in infectious disease the statistics shows that the mortality of HIV/AIDS has decreased to less than 1%. I also found this forum. Reading the various claim how their viral
Load went down fast and cd4 slowly rising I was somewhat reassured.

I started my first dose Of Biktarvy August 17. So it has been a 8 weeks since I am on BIKTARVY and my latest viral load is 57. That is fast considering im not even 2 months in my drug therapy!

Thank you for all your statements. It is difficult for me to find group support and therapy here (health counseling requires me to transfer my insurance ). The sorrow is still there but sharing your experience and your therapy responses gave me hope.

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
Re: Positive Last august 15
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 06:44:08 pm »
I am so glad to see that you are getting treatment and that your health has improved. You have a long and wonderful life ahead of you, and I hope you don’t let this diagnosis take away from that joy!
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline PHLApoz

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 06:48:50 pm »
Hey thank you for reading and for your encouragement. Id like
To join in your peer support group. Can you send me info?

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 07:18:28 pm »
I will have this disability forever.
while you may have HIV forever (there's no cure right now) you certainly won't be "disabled". Taking daily medications will get your viral load to undetectable and let your cd4s recover. Then you can go on with your life as you want and you'll be like millions of other people living with HIV for 30-40 yrs already. ;)  :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2023, 07:50:06 pm »

ojo.               Hello there!
… welcome to the forum… it’s normal, that you feel the way you are feeling, it takes time to digest the bad news but, you are going to be OK. Lots of us have been diagnosed with aids, and now, with the new medications nobody stays too long on that phase, just take your medication as prescribed and try to be positive now that you are positive, no pain intended… wishing you the best, you are not alone, we are here for you. Less be victors and not victims. It is what it is, it’s time to turn the page to live a normal life with a new virus under control…hugs

Offline Loa111

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2023, 05:12:23 am »
Welcome & sorry to hear you have HIV. It is a terrible shock, even these days when the treatment is excellent .I was shocked when I found out I'd HIV, but a couple of weeks later when I found out I'd a CD4 of 22 and AIDS, I was terrified! Luckily everyone on this forum helped me & explained to me not to worry about the AIDs classication at all, that the meds will help me recover, and they did.

Actually none of my ID Docs every used the term "AIDS" to me, they call is "Advanced HIV", which sounds much nicer.

Anyway, the good news for you, and you may not feel this yet, but you will eventually...you will eventually kind of forget that you have HIV, you take a pill (2 in my case) daily, go to the Docs a few times a year, get bloods done, a quick discussion of test results, and that's it! It will become so normal to you, that you won't think of it much at all. I often aside from popping the pills, forget that I have HIV, and even when I do think of it, it means nothing to me, since the medication is working nicely!

I hope that helps. Keep coming back to this forums as it is a great place to find encouragement, especially in earlier days.

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2023, 05:24:49 am »

Yes that would be fantastic. Our next support call is next Friday, please send me a private message with your email so that I can send you the link!
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2023, 08:35:43 am »

ojo.             @numbers, i think the OP must have posted at least three post before he can PM, i hope he is able too get the info for the meeting…goid luck…hugs

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2023, 03:55:14 pm »

Hiya.

In order to send or receive private messages, you first need to post at least three times on the forums.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline PHLApoz

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2023, 05:29:58 pm »
Thanks for your responses.

I really need support therapy where i can verbalize my feelings. Though my
Anxiety has been lessened it is still there. I know the people who can understand me are here

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2023, 07:37:22 pm »

ojo.        Hi there!…now that you have posted four times , you can PM with who ever you want…we understand you and hopefully we can make you feel better. I said before, it takes time to digest your diagnosis… we are here for you.

Offline PHLApoz

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2023, 03:54:48 pm »
Update

It has been 2 months and two weeks since I have been taken Biktarvy and I am glad to share to you that my viral load is less than 20/mL and that my cd 4 count is 249. That was fast!

Thank you for sharing your stories. It made me realize that there is hope in living with HIV/AIDS.

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2023, 04:20:03 pm »

Ojo.         Congratulations!!

Offline PHLApoz

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2024, 02:48:13 pm »
Update: my latest cd4 count went to 301. That was fast.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 03:30:50 pm by Jim Allen »

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2024, 03:33:24 pm »

ojo.            hello there!… Thanks for the update and remember, your biktarvy only suppresses virus, and that’s the most important thing that you have to concentrate in. Your soldiers would increase with time. Usually, I pay more attention to my cd4 percentage, and not my cd4 absolute number. anyway, I’m happy for you now try to leave your knife and the fullest because there is life after HIB diagnosis… Hugs.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.