Off Topic Forums > Forums Gatherings

AMG 2018!!!

<< < (3/11) > >>

kentfrat1783:
I'm sorry to ask this but what does AMG stand for?

odyssey:

--- Quote from: kentfrat1783 on March 17, 2018, 11:41:18 am ---I'm sorry to ask this but what does AMG stand for?

--- End quote ---

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but I've always been under the impression that it stood for Aids Meds Gathering. I think there is or was a website called aidsmeds that poz.com perhaps branched off of in the earlier days of these get togethers and we use the acronym AMG because when trying to get group rates at hotels, and plenty of other reasons for not going around 'advertising' our HIV/AIDS status.

odyssey

wardp:
Can I suggest the amg 2018 in bangkok!

leatherman:

--- Quote from: odyssey on March 17, 2018, 07:43:53 pm --- I think there is or was a website called aidsmeds that poz.com perhaps branched off of in the earlier days of these get togethers

--- End quote ---

AIDSmeds.com
In 1999, Staley founded AIDSmeds.com, a site “dedicated to providing people living with HIV the necessary information they need to make empowered treatment decisions.”[41][42] It expanded to include topics including gay health, and education and resources related to gay health.[43] In 2006, AIDSmeds.com merged with POZ, a publication for people living with and affected by HIV/AIDS.[44] Staley is still with the merged organization as a blogger and advisory editor.[45][46]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Staley#AIDSmeds.com

because many of the members here in those early days were the people who survived the bad years of the plague when everyone seemed to be dying, we were a much more close-knit group in the early days of aidsmeds.com. As a group of online friends, those who wanted to participate voted on a location for a group vacation.

Usually some funds were raised that helped a few other members also be able to attend. As the AMG effort was started by Americans, the destinations were in North America (especially since America had an HIV travel ban for many years). I believe a small group of Europeans meet in a "mini-AMG" a few years ago. Last year there was no AMG and I don't think the Europeans scheduled one either.

--- Quote from: odyssey on March 17, 2018, 07:43:53 pm ---we use the acronym AMG because when trying to get group rates at hotels, and plenty of other reasons for not going around 'advertising' our HIV/AIDS status.

--- End quote ---
using "AMG" helped us get group rates. It was never about hiding our status. I'm sure some people used the acronym as a shield; but every time I said something about the AMG, I had to explain what that meant. And there's not much more you can disclose after saying "aids meds gathering" LOL ;D

kentfrat1783:
Hi,

Thank you for the clarification on what the acronym stands for and it does make sense. 

I'm game for any of the locations already mentioned.  I know when I've done similar events in the past we held the event in a city with an airport just so we didn't have to have the extra expense of renting a car for those that had to fly in.  I'm also one for flying so anywhere away from Ohio or the surrounding states sounds good to me.

Thanks,
Kenneth

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version