Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:40:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 344
Total: 345

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: An on-going thread  (Read 320931 times)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: An on-going thread
« Reply #900 on: May 21, 2015, 06:06:00 am »
Jeff darling, I hope they can figure out what is going on with you.  Sounds awful.

Last night when I took the moon boot off, I noticed two humps in my right leg. One is where the current break is, the other one is huge and is where the rod screws is.  I have no idea why it's swollen there other than residual stuff from the surgery.  Well, what can you do.  Just continue on. 

I have an appointment with a primary care doctor but not until July.  Trying to get into one earlier but have had no luck yet.  I know I need to get labs done to check my hemoglobin.  Maybe when I go back to the ortho doctor I can get them to order one.     

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #901 on: May 21, 2015, 07:13:35 am »
Jeff darling, I hope they can figure out what is going on with you.  Sounds awful.

Last night when I took the moon boot off, I noticed two humps in my right leg. One is where the current break is, the other one is huge and is where the rod screws is.  I have no idea why it's swollen there other than residual stuff from the surgery.  Well, what can you do.  Just continue on. 

I have an appointment with a primary care doctor but not until July.  Trying to get into one earlier but have had no luck yet.  I know I need to get labs done to check my hemoglobin.  Maybe when I go back to the ortho doctor I can get them to order one.     

Betty

If you have to go to the emergency room it would be better than waiting ... waiting has not worked out for you one single time during this rough period ( under statement ) so I hope you get your tush to the doc today .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #902 on: May 29, 2015, 07:54:27 am »
Doing better I believe though I fell a couple days ago.  I don't believe anything was fractured since I'm still able to walk lol.

I'm back to working the other job I had prior to November of last year.  So far so good.  I like to be busy.  Which reminds me I have to take a shower.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #903 on: May 29, 2015, 08:11:34 am »
Good to hear your doing better !
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #904 on: May 29, 2015, 08:21:46 am »
Doing better I believe though I fell a couple days ago.  I don't believe anything was fractured since I'm still able to walk lol.
goodness! when we order another roll of bubble wrap for Wolfie, we'll order two and send one to you. LOL

Glad to hear you're not more broken and glad to hear you're keeping busy. :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #905 on: May 29, 2015, 09:48:44 am »
Goodness Betty.  I certainly hope this all resolves soon.  luvs

I go in for another bds next week.  We'll see if Boniva did any good before deciding on the next course.  My ID doctor was in complete agreement with doing this before switching meds.  He understood my frustration as this isn't simply about me.  Since little is known concerning bone loss and HIV, I'd think they would like to see the results of my 2 year course of treatment. 

Also went and had my blood drawn yesterday for the western blot for my lyme infection. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #906 on: May 29, 2015, 12:32:57 pm »

ojo      glad to hear that Betty....hugs          ojo

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #907 on: May 30, 2015, 06:46:16 am »
Mikie, I believe if I could wrap my legs in bubble wrap it would really help,  though then I may start breaking my arms lol.

Greg, will be very interested to see how your bds turns out and if the Boniva made a difference.

I appreciate everyone's support,  both on the forums and off. It's not over, but hopefully nothing else will break,  at least for a long enough time that I can get a breather.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #908 on: May 30, 2015, 03:23:28 pm »
did something so stupid this morning that I simply laid where I landed for a spell.  It's only fuuny since nothing is broken.  How in the hell that you forgot spending an entire day taking down a dilapidated deck is  beyond normal comprehension.

I was planning on being to work around 4:00 am but overslept a tad.  In my rush, I forgot the deck was gone.  Lots of bruising and scrapes, but nothing serious

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #909 on: May 31, 2015, 05:30:40 am »
Greg, I don't know who needs Mikie's bubble wrap worse, you or me.  I'm glad nothing was broken. 

Yesterday was the first day I was able to wear a shoe all day instead of a moon boot cast.  Do you all know how long it's been since I have been able to wear two shoes?  Since late November.  I was so excited!

Last Tuesday I got the nerves around my knee burned.  The dr told me it could take up to two weeks before I feel pain relief.  It was the left knee.  Of course then I fell on it but I believe I only jarred it.  Here's hoping anyway.

Betty

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #910 on: May 31, 2015, 12:29:04 pm »
did something so stupid this morning that I simply laid where I landed for a spell.  It's only fuuny since nothing is broken.  How in the hell that you forgot spending an entire day taking down a dilapidated deck is  beyond normal comprehension.

I was planning on being to work around 4:00 am but overslept a tad.  In my rush, I forgot the deck was gone.  Lots of bruising and scrapes, but nothing serious

I'm envisioning the opening credits of The Dick Van Dyke Show, where he trips over the ottoman.   :P   I'm glad you weren't hurt more seriously.   :)

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline wolfter

« Reply #911 on: June 01, 2015, 03:11:53 pm »
I'm envisioning the opening credits of The Dick Van Dyke Show, where he trips over the ottoman.   :P   I'm glad you weren't hurt more seriously.   :)

Thanks Henry.  I've always, and I mean ALWAYS been like his character.  Wasn't a problem until I aged.  :)  OH, and I got my official invitation to AARP in the mail Saturday.  I guess a golden buckeye card is next.  I still have 4 weeks until I'm no longer in my 40s.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #912 on: June 02, 2015, 01:58:13 pm »
Hey Wolfe,
Glad you weren't hurt , your bone medicine must be working.
Would have probably been funny as shit to see you walk out
the door and just disappear... LOL... should be on video !
must have looked like Ellen's game ...Know or Go  !

Betty....I think you need one of those blow up bounce houses
the kids play in at amusement parks !  ....  LOL
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #913 on: June 03, 2015, 03:47:45 pm »
Got the official results of my Lyme Western Blot back.  I don't have enough markers to be considered having the disease.  I'll always test positive since I previously had lyme disease.

Also had my bone density scan done this morning.  Will be anxious to get the results but the tech did make a few comments even though she's not supposed to.  Of course she's not trained to actually interupt them, she has done them long enough to do so.  It was of her opinion that I've reverted back to only having osteopenia.  If so, that's a huge improvement.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #914 on: June 07, 2015, 11:21:01 am »
I've not had time to compare my latest results to my original ones but simply see the results.  I'm now in the osteopenia category instead of osteoporosis.  I'm going to assume that the Boniva actually is working but wait until I consult with my doctor.  Humana does not cover it any longer but I think with these latest results, he will be able to present a case why it's justified.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #915 on: June 07, 2015, 05:55:46 pm »
Wow Greg, that is wonderful that, in this case, you were able to take a step back.  I would certainly hope that Humana will continue the Boniva coverage.  Great news!

Betty

Offline wolfter

« Reply #916 on: June 09, 2015, 06:23:33 am »
Thanks Betty. 

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #917 on: June 09, 2015, 09:02:20 am »
Things like this make me crazy !
Why would they not cover something that is obviously working ...
Good luck , and give em hell Greg !
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #918 on: June 13, 2015, 05:31:25 pm »
Ditto.^

That's great news Greg! Good luck with Humana. ugh.

I wonder how they came up with that name anyway. Maybe it was meant to mean Human? Awe. We can't help you with that.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 05:34:29 pm by mitch777 »
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #919 on: June 16, 2015, 06:56:22 am »
After speaking with my doctor, the news isn't actually as good as it appears.  The slight improvements in my spine and hip area barely put me in the osteopenia category.  It only improved by .01 on both the T and Z scores.

But the femur scan showed a marked decrease.  In 2013 my T score was -1.7 and the Z score was -1.1

The latest scan shows a T score of -2.2 and the Z score is -1.5

That's a significant difference in just 2 years.  So I'm switching to the once monthly injection of prolia.  At least this one is already in the formulary.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #920 on: June 16, 2015, 07:40:23 am »
Sorry to hear that Greg.  Hopefully the Prolia will cause improvement.

About my getting though nerves burned...it didn't help.  I'm still having a lot of pain.  I think my knees are a bit beyond the help the burning could do.  But, I have a sweet Chihuahua in my lap who apparently thinks I'm a cool human, so all's well. 

Betty

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #921 on: June 16, 2015, 10:28:59 am »
Greg, hope your new bone med works,
it has to be frustrating because it's such a slow process to
achieve any results. Good Luck !

Betty, sorry to hear the procedure on your knees is not helping,
glad you have your little friend on your lap !

Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #922 on: June 16, 2015, 10:39:16 am »
I just finished the last of my Dr's spring cleaning,
had my Colonoscopy yesterday , the love tunnel is clean !
No polyps , lesions or anything else they look for, so
I'm good for another ten years, my last one when I turned 50 was
the same . Been a busy month for dr appointments , glad it's over !
Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #923 on: July 01, 2015, 10:26:14 am »
After further research, my doctor decided Reclast was a better option since it has already been tested on men with good results.

So I sat in the infusion chair for an hour receiving the medication.  I thought the side affects of Boniva were bad but this is worse.  In short order, I became very dizzy and confused.  My blood pressure skyrocketed which isn't a known reaction.  By the time we were finished the BP was almost critical. 

It slowly returned to normal but here it is a day later and I still don't feel "right".  Perhaps it was because I didn't follow the suggested recommendation of eating a full meal beforehand.  I just didn't see how eating would affect the infusion.  And now I'm still too nauseous to eat.

Thank goodness this is only once a year.  I researched this drug after the fact and many people have the same issues for several days. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.