Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 08:08:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773425
  • Total Topics: 66363
  • Online Today: 339
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 239
Total: 240

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Help needed in Counceling 22 yr old  (Read 1916 times)

Offline erasfred

Help needed in Counceling 22 yr old
« on: May 08, 2007, 03:25:37 pm »
Please help

I just had a 22 yr old sitting in my lounge. He has been diagnosed last year. He is also Bipolar and manic depressive. Started Arv's 2 months ago. Came out that he was infected by his drinks being spiked and then raped. BTW his adoptive mother was also here.  Alot of support from that side.

My question is was it right for me to tell him to let go of any hatred towards his rapist other wise he would be letting that person control his life from here on forward. Seems like there is still hate towards this person. although he says he doesn't hate him.

Help would really be appreciated.

Rassie :)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Help needed in Counceling 22 yr old
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 08:24:50 pm »
Rassie, there's nothing wrong with your advice as such to this fellow. Rather it's a matter of timing.

In order to really "get" what you were saying he would have to be in a fairly advanced state in treatment. That hardly sounds like the circumstance you were describing. He sounds like longterm treatment would be helpful to him.

Is there any possibility of longterm treatment being available for him? A lot of groundwork would have to be done to get him to a point where he could begin to consider forgiving.
Andy Velez

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 08:40:32 pm »
When I survived a 3-day long gang raping, I had to feel all the rage for as long as I needed to before I could even consider thinking about forgiving.  But I had to also be in intense therapy to make sure the rage wasn't taken out on myself or against someone who didn't deserve it.  I finally did, but only after a long war with drugs, prostitution etc.  The rape that happened to me didn't infect me, so I would think that with this young man, that might enter in also with the hating.  I wonder if there's a therapist in that area that kind of "specializes" in helping people heal after sexual assault.  I know in the town I live in they have something called an SOS (sexual offense services).  Maybe there's something like that there also.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline erasfred

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 01:47:46 pm »
Thank you Andy & Betty for your answers.

The thing that was bothering me a bit afterwards on this whole situation was that although he said that he does not hate this person there is still a lot of anger and resentment towards this person. He is at present in a government treatment program being run by amongst others by one of my doctors. She contacted me to have a talk to him as I do have a bit of experience dealing with HIV.

I am also keeping the doctor up to date as to our discussions.

The reason i am saying there is anger and resentment is that he still has a lot of emotional outbursts. That is according to his mother and also him. It does not seem like there is any help in the sense of any phsychology treatment or any thing like that. He is at the moment on what I call happy tablets (anti depressants).

My question only is how do I help him to get it out of his system. I know that it will take time but in the meantime how do I support him from my side.

Thankyou. Rassie

Offline Peter6836

• Me and my Granddaughter Noa
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 01:59:13 pm »
Dance it off.
Body therapy, have him move, we hold so much of our emotion in our bodies. Sometimes we just need to move it out physically. Recognizing anger cognitively can be difficult especially for someone with limited experiences. I suggest more experiential treatment. Perhaps if he can get in touch with the feelings he is holding in his body. Then he will be able to verbalize them. Of course sometimes just the process of releasing the emotion from the body can be enough to help someone move to a different level.
Peter

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.