Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:13:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 224
Total: 225

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: This is so terribly sad  (Read 2963 times)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
This is so terribly sad
« on: May 13, 2012, 02:29:45 pm »
I know this sort of thing happens more frequently than one would imagine, but this brought a tear to my eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pR9gyloyOjM

It's 10 minutes long but worth the watch in my opinion.

Offline tednlou2

Re: This is so terribly sad
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:51:34 pm »
Thanks for sharing.  Very sad and so unfair.  Many of us do not think enough about what happens in the worst case scenario.  My partner and I have no legal documents.  Even if we did, our families could contest them.  It would just come down to what kind of judge you happened to get.  I can't imagine either of our families doing that.  However, you really never know how people will act.  When my uncle died last summer, I saw how family members swooped in to get his valuables.  So, we've been talking about how we need to get our legal affairs in order.  We need to stop talking about it and do it.

But, with the guy in the video, that family definitely seemed like the type who would challenge any documents in court.  I just got home from a family trip to the Smoky Mountains, with my partner's family.  They have all been great.  Well, except for the brother and his wife.  His dad actually went to a fundraiser in 2004 to help defeat the constitutional amendment here.  And, he's a big Republican.  Go figure.  ;)  His dad was really upset with us for not attending.  However, in 2004, we didn't have the extra money to attend.  He said he would have donated for us.  So, I don't think we have anything to worry about with his parents.  My parents are for marriage equality.  But again, people sometimes behave in ways you'd never think or expect. 

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:16:26 am »
Thanks for posting.  It rekindled lost emotions when I went through my lost.  I wish him well in his pursuits. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 10:21:32 am »
Thanks for sharing.  Very sad and so unfair.  Many of us do not think enough about what happens in the worst case scenario.  My partner and I have no legal documents.  Even if we did, our families could contest them.  It would just come down to what kind of judge you happened to get.  I can't imagine either of our families doing that.  However, you really never know how people will act.  When my uncle died last summer, I saw how family members swooped in to get his valuables.  So, we've been talking about how we need to get our legal affairs in order.  We need to stop talking about it and do it.

But, with the guy in the video, that family definitely seemed like the type who would challenge any documents in court.  I just got home from a family trip to the Smoky Mountains, with my partner's family.  They have all been great.  Well, except for the brother and his wife.  His dad actually went to a fundraiser in 2004 to help defeat the constitutional amendment here.  And, he's a big Republican.  Go figure.  ;)  His dad was really upset with us for not attending.  However, in 2004, we didn't have the extra money to attend.  He said he would have donated for us.  So, I don't think we have anything to worry about with his parents.  My parents are for marriage equality.  But again, people sometimes behave in ways you'd never think or expect.
I agree, you never know.  Gay or Hetero, legal paper speaks loudly in courts and if the law is not on your side, then it can  be used against you by anyone who has something to gain by it. 

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 11:19:09 am »
So, we've been talking about how we need to get our legal affairs in order.  We need to stop talking about it and do it.
because accidents, and not always AIDS, happens the two of you should at least download, fill out, and get two witness signatures on living wills and durable medical power of attorney forms - http://www.uslegalforms.com/powerofattorney/ . Although these forms do nothing towards saving a house, car or other assets that family (or the bank, or the state! it's not always just family) may swoop in to take at the passing of a partner, these forms can dramatically help when a partner is sick/incapacitated and is expected to continue living. ;)

losing two partners to AIDS let me know how important these documents are, and also showed me how the worse problems often don't come from hateful/greedy family members; but just from the general system of how things operate when two people are not legally married. :(
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 11:26:11 am »
http://www.hrc.org/issues/pages/domestic-partnerships?gclid=CNXoo_uKgLACFYhM4AodH3a6Gw

here is one on Domestic Partnerships
Same-sex couples living in California, the District of Columbia, Nevada, Oregon and Washington state can take advantage of broad domestic partner laws that, like civil unions, offer access to the state-level rights and responsibilities of marriage.  In addition, Colorado (designated beneficiaries), Hawaii (reciprocal beneficiaries), Maine (domestic partnerships), Maryland (domestic partnerships), and Wisconsin (domestic partnerships) offer limited statewide spousal rights to same-sex couples within the state. Wherever you live, be sure to see the collection of legal documents to protect your family. Visit the Workplace section to learn more about governments and other employers that offer domestic partner benefits to their employees' partners.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.