Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 12:24:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37686
  • Latest: Any1122
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773477
  • Total Topics: 66371
  • Online Today: 388
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 362
Total: 363

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: End of Year Update  (Read 4731 times)

Offline RobbyR

End of Year Update
« on: December 18, 2015, 12:57:13 pm »
So, I am ending the year pretty much as I started it. Made the big med change awhile back, and I feel better on Stribild than Atripla. Got a diagnosis of mild autism after extensive testing this past summer. My Vocational Rehab person referred me to a local Career Services place where they specifically help people looking for work with little work experience or who have been unemployed for a long time. If you do not have autism and anxiety, you can't know what it's like having to interact with strangers for extended periods or how terrifying it is to start work when you haven't ever had a real job. It's daunting.

So I met with the Career Services lady and she was nice, & seemed to be interested in helping me. She said she feels my autism is so mild that I don't need much help, just a bit of a push, to get some work experience and get hired somewhere. I told her my interests, strengths, weaknesses, etc. I have now met with her twice. I told her I was interested in working at a flower shop, among other interests. I was optimistic about finding job with their help, but now I am not so sure. I sprained my ankle the other day and have to be off my feet for a few days, and I told her about this. I have sent her detailed emails about what my interests are as far as employment, and that I would like to be employed by the first of the year. She and I were supposed to go visit an employer this week but I had to cancel because of my ankle. I have not heard back from her.

This place is really my last hope. I have no work history, no references, and since I have no friends, networking is not possible. I just really hope this place is not going to ditch me as a lost cause and that they will help me. I just want to be a productive member of society. Yes I have anxiety and autism but I am still very capable in many ways I just need to get some work experience.

I am really hoping 2016 will be a good year. I haven't worked since 2011 and I am really ready to stop staying at home all the time with nothing to do.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: End of Year Update
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 01:46:12 pm »
Its great to hear you making progress and moving forward. Just remember to live life at your own pace and you will do well. I used to get frustrated with taking test because I have a learning disability. I would get so down on myself and saw it as a failure every time I didn’t do well. I changed the way I look at myself and my life and accepted that I can do anything I want if I take my time and go at my own speed through life.

You said this place is your last hope for advancment … Its not your last hope by far Robby so do not put artificial pressure on yourself. When things do not turn out the way you want or expect there is an opportunity to learn … its all about choosing to see life as an adventure and challenges a way to become stronger.

If they are upset you cant keep this appointment a letter or email can explain how important this opportunity is for you. Its a chance to build a stronger relationship with your advisor … if you do not give up chances are they wont give up on you.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 04:26:30 pm »
Thanks Jeff as always for the encouragement. And for the advice when I was going through some dark times. I'm doing better than I was. Mentally, much better than I was.

I am just trying to recognize my thought patterns and redirect them towards positive energy I am working on that.

I know, you're right, never put all your eggs in one basket, but since I have like no work history and have finally gotten an accurate diagnosis (the autism) I now at least know what I am dealing with & the career services agency specifically helps people with ranges of disability from minor like mine to severe.

The case worker was super nice she doesn't even think I need preliminary training she thinks I am ready to start work anytime.

So that's encouraging. She said she thinks I am highly capable, she just thinks I let myself doubt myself and get trapped by self doubt which is true. I am trying to work on that.

But I hope she can find me a position to gain some work experience,my goal is by first of year, to be in some type of work. The reason I am hopeful about this agency is they specifically help people find employment as opposed to me just continuing to send out tons of applications and not hearing back because I have no work experience. So that's why this is kind of important.

I hope she will help me. I'm going to email her again.

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 09:09:25 pm »
Robby, good luck with this agency and your job search. Don't be too demanding during the holiday season however as all of these things may sort of go on standby for the next two weeks.  why do you need Jan 1 as a deadline for anything. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 04:33:34 pm »
Thanks guys I'm optimistic for first time in long time, finally feel in control of things more. Yea there's no deadline, except I am setting goals for myself now so just for me. I am doing much better and am hopeful for much better times in the new year. 2015 was better than 2014 by a longshot, and hoping each year gets a bit better and now that I have gotten my depression and anxiety much more under control, I am focusing on entering the workforce and contributing to society.

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.