Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:51:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 218
Total: 218

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Going To Heaven In A Hand Basket  (Read 8625 times)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Going To Heaven In A Hand Basket
« on: January 27, 2011, 12:51:40 pm »
I'm a big, fat hypocrite.  Actually, I'll be a bit kinder to myself in my choice of words and say that I am a big, fat ball of contradictions - as I believe everyone is.  It is well known around these parts that yours truly has a chip on his shoulder about religion that is the size of Texas.  I grew up in a staunch, deep water Baptist home.  Fundamentalism was the order of the day growing up, and I grew up with steady mix of shame & fear, and very little view of a future.  Simply put, I was taught to believe that we were in the End Days and fully expected Armeggedon and the Mark of the Beast to arrive long before I would live to see any gray hairs.  Couple this with my very early awarness of my sexuality and....well, it almost killed me.

That said, I have red Georgia clay running through my veins.  I have a deep love of "mountain music", and part of that includes an affinity for ol' time Southern Gospel.    There is something in the sound of it that resonates with me.  I love to sing it, and yet oftentimes I find myself pausing to consider what it is I am actually singing about.

These songs speak over and over of spending an eternity in constant praise of the Savior.  Going beyond the obvious questions about saving us from a debt that He, as the Creator Of All, would have had to have created Himself, I also have trouble envisioning myself enraptured by sitting around in some pasture with a lyre offering nonstop ego boosts to a Diety.

"Oh, my God, you're just the bestest thing ever!  No, really!  I wish I had your hair!  And where did you get that outfit?!  Oh, right...you created it.  Can I sit at your feet for just a second?  Pleeeeease?"

I can't help but think that it wouldn't be long before I would be asking aloud, "Are we really gonna have to spend eternity doing this?"  And then POOF!  I'm sporting cloven hooves and a tail.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see wanting to go on forever with the whole Crystal Seas and Streets Of Gold thing.  I just don't require that much celestial bling.  I think, more realistically, that I would be happy enough to simply just have my family & friends all around, and live the life I already have - just without having to worry about bills and hangovers & stuff.

Then I decide to get really  real with myself and ditch the warm, fuzzy home and hearth crap to conclude that, for me, Heaven would actually most closely resemble Sodom.  Yeah...my idea of a true heaven would be endless butt boinking in a land where everyone is smokin' hot, we dip our cups into an endless River Of Swirl and angels drop by with a never ending supply of double stacked Mitsubishis.  And DJs only spin the hottest remixes.  It's sort of a circuit party / bath house kind of thing...only your flip flops don't stick to a slimy floor and nobody ever gets crabs or AIDS.

I have to conclude that Heaven might be hopeless for me.  Rather, I might be too hopeless for Heaven.  I'm just too damned attached to my abomination.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 12:56:04 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Going To Heaven In A Hand Basket
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 01:21:24 pm »
I was raised in the bible belt so I know first hand of what you speak , I was raised catholic in a largely southern baptist family per my fathers wishes . My aunt Pat took me to her baptist church for what she called a proper baptism by submersion and swore to me to secrecy as the price for saving my soul , she scared the crap out of me .

I'm still living in the south and have learned the art of living for what I think is right without making someone else appear feel wrong , its my way of just trying to get along . I think you can be an atheist and still be spiritual and find value in the way we love and respect one another as well as nature .    

Even though I'm an atheist I find no joy in challenging other peoples faith or beliefs but I sure wish others felt the same about it as I do and quit trying to pass judgements and laws built on religious preferences .  
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:23:56 pm by jg1962 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 01:30:55 pm »
Too bad you didnt experience New york in 1981
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 02:30:02 pm »
Youth Pastor Tim,

Watch this video.

It's the speech given by Daniel Dennett to the Humanist Canada Convention late last year. Dennett talks at some length about religious music and why it's so good even if the underlying message is a crock of shite.

MtD

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 02:30:47 pm »
First off---You sound perfect!  You seem to be living a well examined life of a man of complexities.  Sounds like the way to be, eh?

Secondly--hmmmm,  maybe you just made your idea of 'heaven' a bit too small  ;)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 02:51:03 pm »
My family went to the Methodist church. My father is an atheist but my parents drug us kicking and screaming encouraged us to attend every Sunday because Mom wanted to go and Dad thought living in a Christian culture we should know about religion-- plus he needed to be seen at church for his job, networking etc. Still our church was big on social and light on scripture, so I don't experience the hellfire guilt you describe.

As a nonbeliever I have no problem enjoying Christian music, architecture or art and don't consider it a contradiction. It doesn't bother me because it doesn't hold any deeper meaning for me than a poignant Celine Dion song (yes, I admit to getting goosebumps when she's belting out "you're here... There's NOOOOThing I fear... And I know that the heart will go on." I can appreciate Buddist monasteries, Catholic cathedrals, Fujian dance, Christmas trees.... whatever I find interesting or beautiful. I love Halloween but don't believe in spirits walking the earth.

When it comes to what happens to our consciousness after we die the complete unvarnished truth is this: no one really knows for certain, anyone who says they do is lying or delusional and we will all find out for ourselves eventually-- so don't sweat it. Eternity takes care of itself.

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 02:52:28 pm »
Even though I'm an atheist I find no joy in challenging other peoples faith or beliefs but I sure wish others felt the same about it as I do and quit trying to pass judgements and laws built on religious preferences .  

Words to live by, even for those of us who are Christian.

I think there are hymns and songs of faith that are just way to preachy.  Typically I find more meaning in the tune than the words.  As far as an afterlife I really never give it a thought, have enough on my mind trying to get through this life.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 03:00:55 pm »
I'm not above going all christian on someones ass if its going to suit me .

I once screwed up a customers order and she called me screaming bloody murder so I told her I was a born again christian and I was going to have to hang up the phone because I was afraid she was about to take the lords name in vain . She calmed right down and we settled the problem without all the drama .

I wuss out sometime and call myself a christian but I never claimed to be a good one .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 03:02:51 pm »
I once screwed up a customers order and she called me screaming bloody murder so I told her I was a born again christian and I was going to have to hang up the phone because I was afraid she was about to take the lords name in vain .    

:) I am going to have to remember that!!!!  I'll practice WWJD....what would Jeff do?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:06:42 pm by woodshere »
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 03:09:03 pm »
:) I am going to have to remember that!!!!

I have used this many times and I swear it has never failed , my coworkers in Chicago used to laugh till they cried when I pulled that one out . It helps to say it with a sincere southern drawl .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 03:20:46 pm »
I'm not above going all christian on someones ass if its going to suit me .

I once screwed up a customers order and she called me screaming bloody murder so I told her I was a born again christian and I was going to have to hang up the phone because I was afraid she was about to take the lords name in vain . She calmed right down and we settled the problem without all the drama .       

An excellent strategy. I must remember that one.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 03:34:15 pm »
I terrify the shit out of Jehovah's Witlesses when they come to the door by asking them about the 144,000 virgin male elect. Next time you encounter a pair of Jay-Dubs (they always travel in pairs) ask them about it. The effect is most amusing. :)

I was raised a Cathylick but am of mixed blood. My maternal grandmother is a Presbyterian. The sacred music of my youth was all post Vatican II and was just fucking awful. Folk Mass music, the twee warblings of Carey Landry -- ugh.

Occasionally (when I was at boarding school) we would attend a tridentine Mass, aka the Latin Mass. The music at those events was much better. Always a capella and at least 400 years old. Glorious harmonies and haunting plainsong chants.

Cathylicks know that Baptists are dangerous heretics and are doomed to an eternity in Hell.  Along with Methodists, Presbyterians, Mormons and all the other unsaved dross. It's thought that some Episcopalians and Eastern Orthodox (not those Russian fuckers) will probably make it into Heaven, but only after some serious time in Purgatory.

I find it rather nice, therefore, that the church of my baptism (St Francis Xavier) is now leased out by the Diocese to the the local Baptists.

Turn or burn!

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 03:39:17 pm »
My family went to the Methodist church.... our church was big on social and light on scripture, so I don't experience the hellfire guilt you describe.

I was brought up (United) Methodist too and our church was also full-fat social and very theology-lite. They'd have monthly pot-luck dinners in the church basement social hall and the adults would bring a bottle of wine or a few cans. Nobody got drunk, but they weren't teetotal either.

So it was a huge surprise when I moved across the pond and discovered that the Methodist here (quite often called "Primitive" Methodists) are often teetotal and very, very strict. Not quite as hard-core as Southern Baptists, but strict compared to the C-of-E and Catholics.

One of our ministers was heavily involved in the Ecumenical movement and he was probably the most bible-oriented minister we had. The one who was in residence before we moved out of the area got hauled up before some tribunal because he was found to be shagging half the congregation - and his daughter sold me my first ever nickel bag of Columbian Gold. Good times! ;D  
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 03:42:37 pm »
I terrify the shit out of Jehovah's Witlesses when they come to the door by asking them about the 144,000 virgin male elect. Next time you encounter a pair of Jay-Dubs (they always travel in pairs) ask them about it. The effect is most amusing. :)

If it was 144,000 virgin male erect they might have better odds.

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 03:48:17 pm »

MtD

Oh Matty! You simply must illuminate us on this Virgin Male thingie. I am most curious about it. When i ask them about this subjet, I would like to know exactly what it is I am asking about. Do I get 144,000 male virgins to de-flower? It seems like a lot, but then again I would have all eternity to get around to it. I would hope that there would be some kind of  first aid available for what could prove to be a very sore and callused dick.

CaptCarl (Who eagerly awaits elucidation)
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 03:52:22 pm »
. Do I get 144,000 male virgins to de-flower? It seems like a lot, but then again I would have all eternity to get around to it. I would hope that there would be some kind of  first aid available for what could prove to be a very sore and callused dick.

I just love how we have circled back around the the original poster's vision of heaven. Deftly done, CaptCarl.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 04:06:37 pm »
Oh Matty! You simply must illuminate us on this Virgin Male thingie. I am most curious about it. When i ask them about this subjet, I would like to know exactly what it is I am asking about. Do I get 144,000 male virgins to de-flower? It seems like a lot, but then again I would have all eternity to get around to it. I would hope that there would be some kind of  first aid available for what could prove to be a very sore and callused dick.

Well it seems that in the Book of Revelation (Chapter 14 Verse 4 if memory serves) we're told that the only folks who will be going to Heaven will be 144,000 virgin male jews. The number is a multiple of 12 so no doubt it has to do with the 12 Tribes of Israel. Naturally the prices of admission is that these fellas recognise Jesus as the Messiah.

Now you gotta wonder why people who think that only 144,000 vmj's are going to be blessed with Heavenly Sky Boxes such as the Jay-Dubs invest so much time and effort recruitng people to their cult. It seems to be a bit self defeating, doesn't it?

Apparently for those of the saved who don't make the cut (so to speak) will live here on earth in some sort of paradise.

If it was 144,000 virgin male erect they might have better odds.

If my first month at boarding school is any guide I would imagine that 144,000 virgin men gathered in any degree of proximity are constantly erect.

MtD

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 05:32:34 pm »
I was raised Seventh-Day Adventist, and went to private school the first 10 years.  I finally left the private academy, because they were going to give me the boot.  Then went to public high school, and got kicked out in 11th grade.  Just saying I was raised Adventist is 'nuff said, I suppose.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 07:01:22 pm »
Thank you Matty for your educational information. Now I will be able to frame my question and rebuttal to the inevitable caterwauling that will likely follow. The Book of Revelation is a bit murky for me as I was raised Methodist, (of the Pot-Luck heavy, Scripture-Lite variety). Plus we stopped going when I was about 10, (and they try not to scare the kiddies with the Hellfire and Brimstone stuff until they hit puberty, and start sinning in ways prevously unimaginable), so I missed all the fun stuff. Something to do with dear old Mom standing on the steps of the church calling the Minister a "hypocritical son-of-a-bitch" That all being said, I've often thought that Heaven could actually be a bit tedious. After all, how long would YOU be able to listen to Jerry Falwell telling the same stupid stories for all eternity...

CaptCarl
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:03:49 pm by CaptCarl »
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 08:31:00 pm »

Religion was something that was very rarely discussed in our house, when us kids were growing up.  My mother was a non-practicing Presbyterian, my father was a non-practicing Lutheran. We went to a Methodist church, in North Tonawanda, New York

However, my mother always made sure to get us dressed and ready, for Sunday school every Sunday.  And after Sunday school, church service.  My mother and father rarely went to church, except on occasion to watch me sing. I think the main reason my mother got us all out of the house, was so she could have some quiet time,  There were five of us, and we certainly kept her busy. My father was always hungover on Sunday morning.

I was the singer in the family,  ( and enjoyed it and still do). My younger brother was also.  I sang in 3 different church choirs ( in the same Methodist church, up until I was about 17.  I started singing in church choir, probably at 6 years of age. At age 9,  I was presented with a bible ( that I still have).  All church choir members received the bible for being in the choir. Mine was presented to me, on September 24th , 1961. I was 9 at the time. My parents were there for that presentation.

The choir director, was also my chorus teacher, all throughout public  school, from 1st grade to my junior year, and I also sang in school choir and all city choir.

At 18 years of age,( a good long time ago) I had my doubts, about god and religion, and yada,yada,, And I became an atheist. Not surprisingly, my mother never objected to that.

My mother had a landlady, that was a born again christian, that was driving my mother up a wall.  Another neighbor family was born again also.  Who was it that said, that being born the first time was enough trauma to go through?  :P

Anyway, long story short.  Her landlady was a diabetic.  Her born again christian friends decided, that through prayer, she would no longer need her medication. Her minister told her, that god had told him, she wouldn't need her medication anymore.

So, she stopped taking her insulin.  She died.  When the husband called the paramedics, he told them that she was just walking around a few hours before, he discovered her dead.

The paramedics didn't buy it, as algor mortis ( not rigor rmortis) was already taking place.  They decided to prosecute the husband and church minister for negligent homicide. They were found not guilty, but moved far away from the scene of the crime, after it was all over.

Last week , when I was on vacation, Ed and I decided to drive around in the sticks of rural Florida.  Believe me, the bible belt lives ! We commented on all the bible churches we discovered.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 10:29:44 pm »
In addition to my devout family, I also had super ultra mega fundie neighbors who took it upon themselves (when I was around 5 or so) to tell me that Santa Claus was a tool of the Devil to take Christmas away from Jesus.

They also recuited me to pass out little religious cartoon books in random bathrooms (perhaps establishing an affinity for tea rooms that I have to this day).  Their children were not allowed to watch live TV (only cartoons), and there was no rock & roll...except Elvis.  Their son had a brain tumor, and they constantly referred to this malady as God's punishment for their sins.  Yep...their kid routinely heard himself referred to as a punishment.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 11:08:25 pm »
I was raised as a Catholic.   Catholicism always struck me as very ritualistic.  Mass was pretty much the same every time, there were just different passages read from scripture.  And, of course, the priest's homily (and I wouldn't be surprised if they contained some recycled material).  The messages always seemed very high-level, and hardly provocative.  So when I moved to Texas, it was quite a shock to me just how vocal many fundamentalists are, and how specific in their direction about what / what not to do, and always having an explanation for everything.  The latter really gets to me -- explaining everything that is going in in our lives and our society in terms of God's will, and presuming to know exactly what God's intent is -- that seems ridiculously presumptuous to me, and seriously lacking in humility.

As for heaven, it's interesting how we all form some mental picture of what heaven is like, based on what we learn as we are growing up.  I was raised to believe that when you die, you go to be with God (if you get to go to heaven, that is).  For me, that evokes imagine of sitting on a fluffy cloud in the sky next to Jesus.  And I could get struck down for saying this, but that seems like it would get boring after a while.  Perhaps Jesus wouldn't mind if once in a while I went and had a beer and a cigarette at the corner bar on the next cloud over?

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 11:21:11 pm »
I also had super ultra mega fundie neighbors who took it upon themselves to tell me that Santa Claus was a tool of the Devil to take Christmas away from Jesus.

They also recuited me to pass out little religious cartoon books** in random bathrooms. Their children were not allowed to watch live TV (only cartoons), and there was no rock & roll...except Elvis.
omg! That's us! The Super Ultra Mega Fundie (aka Fundamental Baptist) Family!
you must've lived in charlotte and we were the neighbors on the other side. :D We were even "blessed" to see and hear Anita Byrant on her hate crusade when she came to speak at our Baptist church/Christian school. ::)

**you mean the Chick Cartoon Tracts?? http://www.chick.com/default.asp We used to collect and trade all of these. Lookie! they have a new one out. "Uninvited" -  "AIDS... it's a death sentence. Nurse Clara gives the men straight talk about how they got in this mess, and how Jesus can give them hope." hallelujah ::)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 09:37:25 am »
omg! That's us! The Super Ultra Mega Fundie (aka Fundamental Baptist) Family!
you must've lived in charlotte and we were the neighbors on the other side. :D We were even "blessed" to see and hear Anita Byrant on her hate crusade when she came to speak at our Baptist church/Christian school. ::)

**you mean the Chick Cartoon Tracts?? http://www.chick.com/default.asp We used to collect and trade all of these. Lookie! they have a new one out. "Uninvited" -  "AIDS... it's a death sentence. Nurse Clara gives the men straight talk about how they got in this mess, and how Jesus can give them hope." hallelujah ::)

Yes.  Dear ol' Jack Chick.  It was through these comics (why couldn't I just get Spiderman like the other kids?) that I first began to figure out that I should hate myself.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 10:00:27 am »

Yes.  Dear ol' Jack Chick.  It was through these comics (why couldn't I just get Spiderman like the other kids?) that I first began to figure out that I should hate myself.

I wonder how many kids are fed misinformation from this guy? We wonder why so many don't understand how to protect themselves against hiv but when you've got publications like That Crazy Guy, it's not so hard to understand after all.

What a load of S.H.I.T. Despicable. That "Crazy Guy" is actually the doctor Jack Chick. ::)

edited to replace pictures after chick.com changed the pictures' URLs. I put them in my photofuckitbucket account so they can't remove them again. :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 10:01:45 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 01:13:59 pm »
This whole thread reminds me of the time my Aunt called me when she found out her son was Gay asking for advice and saying over and over how cool she was with the whole gay thing when in fact she wasn't cool with it by tolerating the boys daddy verbal abuse . 

I finally cut her off and asked her what do you prefer a gay son or a dead one because if you and his dad don't get off his back you are gonna have a dead gay son , she never asked me my opinion again . The boy is now a very fucked up young man now .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 03:58:52 pm »
This whole thread reminds me of the time my Aunt called me when she found out her son was Gay asking for advice and saying over and over how cool she was with the whole gay thing when in fact she wasn't cool with it by tolerating the boys daddy verbal abuse . 

I finally cut her off and asked her what do you prefer a gay son or a dead one because if you and his dad don't get off his back you are gonna have a dead gay son , she never asked me my opinion again . The boy is now a very fucked up young man now .

I am a successful x-catholic who finally understands just how damaging religion was to me, for all these decades.  I am currently working through the "shame" that was heaped upon me, by friends, family and the catholic church.  What an incredibly horrible thing to do to another human, indoctrinating them that there is something inherently wrong with them, which they have no control over, but it still makes them somehow different and something to be condemned.  Having moved to Canada, where religion essentially stays in the community, rather than in the legislature, is refreshing, because Canadians understand and support the idea of a nation ruled by law, rather than by dogma.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 04:17:39 pm »
nickel bag of Columbian Gold

That's so Fat Freddy's Cat (off topic, soz)

-matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 04:37:05 pm »

What a load of S.H.I.T. Despicable. That "Crazy Guy" is actually the doctor. ::)
Hey Ann, I think the christians got mad and renamed their pix. :D
they must've noticed the hits to their server. LOL

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0090/0090_01.asp
good lord! no wonder, it's screwy. the "information" for this tract comes from James Dobson's org in 1992.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 04:19:32 pm »
I've made several mentions of my strict Southern Baptist upbringing in rural West Virginia.  (Basically, anyone from WVA is from the rural areas).  I bought into all the crap when I was younger and lived in total terror.  Even my Alma Mater (Mount Vernon Nazarene University) in Ohio preached against everything that makes up my core being.  It was easier to tell my parents that I was gay than it was to tell them I'm a confirmed agnostic.   They literally looked towards the heavens like our roof would collapse at any moment. 

I do buy into the theory that I won't condemn or judge those who find solace in this practice.  I still enjoy Christian music and find some comfort in the hymns.  The 10 commandments are a good practice to live by.  Thankfully, coveting thy neighbor's husband was excluded. 

The original post brought about a lot of those repressed feelings and emotions and I still hold fast to the belief that I should always live my life in case there is some supreme being who might judge me someday. 

One thing that scares me, is that he obviously isn't gay.  If a gay person created this universe, he'd be the center of attention and show up everyplace that would show his superiority.  Beaded gloves, fringed robe and studded tiara.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 06:46:31 pm »
I do buy into the theory that I won't condemn or judge those who find solace in this practice.  I still enjoy Christian music and find some comfort in the hymns.  The 10 commandments are a good practice to live by.  Thankfully, coveting thy neighbor's husband was excluded. 

Well I dunno about the 10 commandments being good practice as they're written. Perhaps you should consider George Carlin's revision?

MtD

/edit: fucking typo/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 06:58:58 pm by Matty the Damned »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 06:55:33 pm »

One of my George Carlins's favorites :  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 11:13:46 pm »
I am a successful x-catholic who finally understands just how damaging religion was to me, for all these decades.  I am currently working through the "shame" that was heaped upon me, by friends, family and the catholic church.  What an incredibly horrible thing to do to another human, indoctrinating them that there is something inherently wrong with them, which they have no control over, but it still makes them somehow different and something to be condemned.  Having moved to Canada, where religion essentially stays in the community, rather than in the legislature, is refreshing, because Canadians understand and support the idea of a nation ruled by law, rather than by dogma.

Joe,

I want to thank you for, once again, being so open and honest in your post.  I started a different post here, but several paragraphs later realized that I ought to just make a thread if and when I get it all out.  This is probably the chief psych trauma mindfuck issue of my life.  It was one horror for the kid who took it all as not just belief but fact, and a whole separate horror for the adult who eventually was able to understand what the facts really were.

The first horror made him unspeakably desperate and sad.  The second one left him angry.

I'll confess that I am really happy about this thread.  I like all of the different types of responses it has generated, and I thank all ya'll for participating.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.