Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:53:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 388
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 364
Total: 364

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Can I learn anything from my initial viral load?  (Read 7955 times)

Offline Stang5_0

• Stang's Garage
Can I learn anything from my initial viral load?
« on: June 06, 2006, 01:00:22 pm »
First off, let me say that these forums are awesome!  I only wish the ones on my site were this active.
At any rate, you all seem to be quite awesome people and I guess I don't feel so alone anymore.

Anyway, I still have yet to determine the origin of my HIV or time frame.  I know at this point, the past is the past and life goes on, but I would sure like to have some sort of idea of when I got it.
Based on viral load, is it possible to determine roughly how long you have had it?

I found out October 26th, 2005.  Viral load of 238,000 and CD4 of 410.  Can you really tell by this or do you just deal with it and let it go?  The reason for my testing had nothing to do with symptoms per say or anything like that.  As a matter of fact, I felt great.  There is a bit more to the story but I'd rather see what types of ideas I can get initially from this post.  I'm not really looking to point a finger, I just am trying to figure out how.  I know I know, that's a bad thing to do from what folks say, but I wish I could put the mystery to bed in my mind.

Thanks.
Stang
Stang5_0

Offline Trish

Re: Can I learn anything from my initial viral load?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 01:03:50 pm »
Hi Stang,

Welcome to the forums. :)  A bittersweet welcome, but one that is from the heart.

I don't have an answer for you, perhaps one of the other members will.  I'm sure someone will offer their expertise.

I hope to hear more about you, so stick around and get to know us better, but the best way to do that is to tell us about yourself too.  And thanks for sharing so far...

All the best,

Trish :)
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 01:14:08 pm »
Hi Stang,

Welcome to the forum ! If you were recently infected your viral load / CD4 will vary a lot for a certain period of time, yet these numbers won't give you for sure about when you were infected.

When I was diagnosed my viral load was at 187,000. and CD4 at 167 but evident in my case ( because of the different problems I had during the year prior to my diagnosis ) it wasn't a recent infection. I was able to remember that about 8-9 years earlier an episode of feeling like having a bad case of flu ( before Christmas at that time ) and in bed for three days. I'm pretty sure I was infected around that time.

However it was impossible to know for certain and just let it go. I can't even be sure of whom infected me and wasn't bothered by the fact I didn't know. It was his fault ( no matter who he was ) as much as mine so I let that one go as well.

I don't have a better answer for ya'..perhaps someone else will.  ???

Regards,

The Canuck
(Who thinks Stang looks pretty good on his avatar)  :-X

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 01:24:19 pm »
It would be hard to draw any conclusions from your initial viral loads because of the fluctuation that occurs following acute infection. This is why repeated measurements are key. During acute infection the CD4 count is lower and the viral load higher than when it all settles down. The VL is not in the millions, so this is a good thing - but even if it were that doesn't represent the steady-state. What you have is one snap-shot during early infection and you could be anywhere on the curve. Future measurements will help to paint the complete picture and dictate therapy. Your ID professional will be key in making these judgements so ensure you have one you can trust and like.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Sdgirl

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 01:26:09 pm »
Welcome to the forums Stang.  You found the right place to get information, love and support!

We are ALL here for you!

Lisa (Who thinks Stang is pretty damn HOT too!   :o  )
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline Stang5_0

• Stang's Garage
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 01:30:24 pm »
I appreciate the responses.  I guess it was more out of curiosity then anything else.  I am now undetectable but was just trying to figure a couple things out.

But agreed, life goes on.  The past is the past.  I go again next week to follow up on the latest blood tests.  Hopefully I am still undetectable and my iron levels are coming back up.  My last visit a few months ago was when I found out I was borderline anemic.  I've been eating more meat and taking my iron so hopefully things are better.

Now I guess I better get busy with a snazzy signature for my posts eh?   ;)
Stang5_0

Offline Stang5_0

• Stang's Garage
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 01:31:20 pm »
HEHEHE  Ah shucks Lisa, Thanks!!!! ::)
Stang5_0

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 01:49:19 pm »
Hi Stang,

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!!!!

To answer your counts question.......................  What "R" Said!  He is Uberalles, when it comes to these questions.

To the other issue.  Hell man, please let this curiosity about the source of your infection go.  The virus is now yours anyway, as now it has your own DNA patterns programmed into it.  Funny thing though, now is the time that you start to exercise those thinking patterns that will learn to accept that YOU are the master of your virus, and it is not YOUR MASTER.  This pattern of think, will place many more long and productive days in your life-bank.  Start today, this virus is just a viral protein, nothing more, nothing less.

Please make sure you are getting loads of animal protein, and I mean plenty.  This is just about the only way we can be super proactive in the struggle to keep our bodies strong, and in fighting mode. 

Finally, I cannot resist placing a few "Stang" Shots here for your pleasure.  This one is available and I would be glad to answer questions via PM.  It belongs to my sweetie, and lives with us in Southeastern Arizona.

In Love and Support.

[attachment deleted by admin]
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Stang5_0

• Stang's Garage
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 02:03:59 pm »
Wow, thanks for the kind words!

And the pics, oh my!!!  She is damn pretty.  Well my name came from the days when I thought I could afford to race.  Dad was right when he said I couldn't but I tried anyhow.
I had an 83 5.0 fully race prepped that I ran at PIR and Firebird.  I miss those days as racing seem to come quite naturally.

I guess you could say I still have a pony in The Garage.

1995 Ford Bronco
Stang5_0

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 05:15:53 pm »
Hi Stang,

I know exactly where that above picture was taken.  I work in PHX and live in SAN.  Welcome to the forums.  And, Moffie, is right, when, where and who is not important what is important is what you do now.

HUGS
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 08:37:53 pm »
Welcome to the Forums, Stang!
Hope to hear more out of you in the future.

(Off-topic, but I've gotten so many tickets at the Buckeye speed trap, I'm sure I've put every cop's kid thru college by now).    ;)

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 09:46:57 pm »
Welcome Stang. I was diagnosed the 13th of october, but I know I was infected in july 2002. The analyst made me a PCR. A test that measures the amount of HIV antigen p24. My count was 23 (a negative count was under 0,25). She said she believed my infection was 2,5 or 3 years old. She was right!
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 01:47:59 am »
Howdy Stang,

Welcome to the family! Like the others said, no sense worrying about who or when. Just take it from here. It sounds like you're doing that.

By the way, I'll second the voices heard earlier - great pics.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.