Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:13:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 338
Total: 338

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: About to start Truvada and Sustiva (Stocrin)  (Read 13780 times)

Offline superkim24

• without a doubt
About to start Truvada and Sustiva (Stocrin)
« on: January 20, 2008, 07:13:23 pm »
Hi Folks,

Hope all is well for 2008 and all the best
after testing positive about a year ago the doc is ready to start meds, which is cool i trust his advice.
however for the last couple of months I have been over sleeping alot I mean I could sleep for 12hours a day easily. wondering if anyone else had this experience and if the above meds would help and how long it would take for them to help me feel rested after 7 - 8 hours of sleep like normal people

Thanks
Kimiko

BobF

Re: About to start Truvada and Sustiva (Stocrin)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 11:04:43 am »
Hi.   I started Atripla in September, 2007 and have found that it causes alot of sleep issues.   I'm always tired, I have strange dreams, and there are times when I'll go 3-4 days without more than an hour or two of sleep despite being exhausted.   You may want to tell your Doc about your current sleep problems before starting Sustiva :)

Good luck!

Offline Steinway

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 02:45:29 am »
Hey there.  I have been taking sustiva and Truvada for more than a year now.  I have had many problems in sleeping well.  I take ambien to assist in that.  I don't care to take the ambien but it does help.  I change the dosage of the ambian to sort of control it.  Not matter what I do, I need a little bit of it to help me sleep.    The effects on my head after taking Sustiva is odd.  I feel like I'm in a cloud.  Once I wasn't woken up as a fire alarm was going off and no one in the building knew where the turn off button was.  There was no fire. So they woke me up and I stumbled down into the basement wearing nothing more than my underwear which were not exactly doing their job, but my brain was so much in a cloud it was like I was stoned.  The guys all thought I had hit the weed or something wich is something I don't do.  They were confused.  My bare feet were cold and I wanted the warmth of my sheets.  To this day when I think about that night I remember it as if it were a memory from a dream.  Things are just so distorted in Sustiva.  I guess that's why they recommend taking it right before you go to sleep and have an ambian on hand to get you through the night.  Some of the dreams are amazing so all is not at a loss. 
   Good luck to you.
It is with passion, courage of conviction, and strong sense of self that we take our next steps into the world. Remembering that first impressions are not always correct. You must always have faith in people, and most importantly, you must always have faith in yourself.
~E. Woods

Offline BreakerOneNine

• Myspace
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 10:52:35 am »
I take Atripla @ 11 in the morning and am fine...I just eat breakfast 2 hours before and lunch 2 hours after...I started at night though 2 hours before bed to get used to the side effects and it was effecting my sleep too much....now I am sleeping fine since I started taking it in the daytime.
poz 96 and med free til now.
Sept 2007 cd4 280 28.37% and VL 19,200
Nov 2007 cd4 230 25.87% and VL 38,000
Dec 2007 start Atripla
Jan 2008 cd4 490 32.5% and VL 119
Feb 2008 cd4 450 28.4% and VL less than 50
April 2008 cd4 510 28.6% and VL less than 48
July 2008 cd4 570 30.2% and VL less than 48
Dec 2008 cd4 570 32.0% and VL less than 48

Offline OneMoreGuy

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 09:55:07 am »
I just started taking two days ago the combo Truvada and Sustiva (Stocrin in Europe).

It is my first time on HIV meds so I was expecting the worst after reading here about all the possible side effects using Sustiva.

My first two days, I have taken the pills about 2 to 4 hours prior to going to sleep.

Here are my personal findings:

1) Slight headache after first taking the meds but not bad enough to take aspirin. Headache goes away after a couple of hours
2) After an hour or so of sleeping, I begin to get up to pee every few hours. A sense of dizziness is present throughout most of the night
3) My mouth feels dry most of the night so I keep bottled water by my night stand
4) I had dreams both evenings, although nothing weird or disturbing
5) I have had NO problem falling asleep or going back to sleep after I wake up from going to pee
6) No diarrhea. However, stool seems to become a bit more acidic since I began taking the meds which in turn caused the rim of my anus to get irritated. Doctor recommended using Vaseline after every stool movement as a remedy instead of a Cortisone cream
7) So far, after taking the medication I get a slight burning sensation around the head of my penis. Nothing intense, but I feel it is there on and off throughout the day. Doctor couldn't explain it as there is no written information about this type of side effect
8) No feelings of tiredness either

Thus far, the worse side effects other people seem to experience while taking this combination therapy are not presenting themselves to me. I will keep you all posted if anything changes.

Psychologist, PhD
Counseling patients with HIV since Jan 1991
HIV since Dec 2005
There are three parts to any successful relationship (platonic or romantic): trust, honesty and communication

Offline OneMoreGuy

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 12:36:10 am »
It's day 3 on this combo. Changes:

1) No more headaches
2) Evening dizziness is lasting not as long as the first two days
3) Burning sensation around penis head is disappearing
4) Dry mouth during the night continues, so continue to drink plenty of water during the 2 to 4 times I get up to pee during the night
5) Dreams continue, although as I mentioned before, nothing drastic
6) Still no tiredness to complain about
7) No diarrhea
8) No sleepness nights

So far, so good.....
Psychologist, PhD
HIV since Dec 2005
There are three parts to any successful relationship (platonic or romantic): trust, honesty and communication

Offline superkim24

• without a doubt
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 11:08:42 am »
Thank you for all your responses
and Doktor keep me posted
My appoimtment with my doc is next week so going to get my meds then
Really appreciate that you are sharing your experience  8)
the one thing I am looking forward to on the meds is a restful night of sleep can't say when last I had one of those  :'(
Kim

Offline OneMoreGuy

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 12:28:41 pm »
Happy to do so Kim.

Has your doctor tried to find out why you have been sleeping so much? I see you write it has only started in the last couple of months, so has something changed which might have caused the change in your sleep cycle? Just wondering.
Psychologist, PhD
HIV since Dec 2005

Offline OneMoreGuy

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 06:34:01 am »
On my fourth day of the Truvada + Stocrin (Sustiva) combo I can report:

1) Dizziness after taking the pills is almost down to nothing
2) Dry mouth is only present for the first few hours (as opposed to the entire night)
3) No other side effects are present

In two and a half weeks I get lab work done. We will see what my body has done with what I am giving it.
Psychologist, PhD
HIV since Dec 2005

Offline OneMoreGuy

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 01:48:47 am »
On the fifth day of taking Truvada and Stocrin:

1) Dizziness is gone
2) Dry mouth is gone
3) Dreams continue, although as I said before, nothing horrific.
4) One thing I noticed tonight is that I ate quite a bit closer to the time I took my meds and did not drink as much water as I usually do after taking the meds. Therefore, about an hour later I had minor stomach pains which eventually went away as I kept drinking more water. - So, I suggest always drinking plenty of water with your meds.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE!
Psychologist, PhD
HIV since Dec 2005

Offline joliemsa

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 02:02:25 pm »
Hi there everyone, Im so glad i stumbled on this site, my daughter has hiv, she is starting meds tonight.   Sustava and truvada, I can give her so much advice from you guys, she is so scared! Thank you so much and I will let you know how she is going!

Offline BreakerOneNine

• Myspace
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 04:41:48 pm »
Hi there everyone, Im so glad i stumbled on this site, my daughter has hiv, she is starting meds tonight.   Sustava and truvada, I can give her so much advice from you guys, she is so scared! Thank you so much and I will let you know how she is going!

Glad you are there for your daughter....tell her not to be scared...I know it is easier said than done...I was scared myself....am now 2 months into my meds and I never had any reason to worry...be sure to show her this site so she can look over it herself...this site was a god send for me...I am glad I found it.....please keep us up to date.
poz 96 and med free til now.
Sept 2007 cd4 280 28.37% and VL 19,200
Nov 2007 cd4 230 25.87% and VL 38,000
Dec 2007 start Atripla
Jan 2008 cd4 490 32.5% and VL 119
Feb 2008 cd4 450 28.4% and VL less than 50
April 2008 cd4 510 28.6% and VL less than 48
July 2008 cd4 570 30.2% and VL less than 48
Dec 2008 cd4 570 32.0% and VL less than 48

Offline joliemsa

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 05:49:36 pm »
Hi all,

First night on meds with no probs, only a banging hangover in morning, gone by lunchtime. Second night, not much sleep, vomiting began around 4am, with intermittant trots, swollen and very dry, painful eyes and such a swollen face! Hey ho! Needless to say, my girl is not wanting to take meds tonight, but she has, hope it dosnt get much worse, this is heartbreaking stuff. :'(

Offline OneMoreGuy

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 02:35:49 am »
As promised, here is my updated report on how the Truvada + Stocrin (Sustiva) combo is working for me:

It has been a month since I began with this combination and so far so good.

All side effects (mentioned as a daily blog somewhere above on this Thread) have completely disappeared.

I got blood work done last Monday and today I got the results.

VL went from 198,000 copies/ml  (before meds) to 1970 copies/ml (a month after meds)

All other chemical values stayed within their normal ranges.

CD4 count will be taken in another month as well as new VL values.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 02:37:35 am by OneMoreGuy »
Psychologist, PhD
HIV since Dec 2005

Offline OneMoreGuy

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 02:43:37 am »
Okay... and here are the new numbers from my last blood tests:

The Stocrin (Sustiva) is staying within normal levels in my body, so not affecting in a negative form my body functions (which is a good thing)

CD4 count went from 186 (0.29 ratio) to 507 (0.39 ratio) - so count has definitely skyrocketed and ratio has improved (ratio should be between 1.00 - 2.80)

VL went from 198,000 down to 296

Enzyme values are within normal parameters which means my liver function is back to normal (between 10-50), as the value was a bit over 50 before.

All other numbers are within the appropriate ranges.

All good news.

And still no side effects, even no sleeping problems.

Seems the Truvada + Sustiva combo is working for me (Atripla in the States) .... hope it works for others just as well or better.

Cheers to all...

Psychologist, PhD
HIV since Dec 2005

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.