Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:54:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 340
Total: 342

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Salmonella Outbreak in Sprouts  (Read 6547 times)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Salmonella Outbreak in Sprouts
« on: May 21, 2010, 06:27:44 pm »
*Sigh* For all you Sprout lovers such as myself...

Salmonella triggers nationwide sprout recall
Alfalfa sprouts were sold in at least 18 states; 23 sickened so far.

Outlets include Walmarts.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37280519/ns/health-food_safety/

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Salmonella Outbreak in Sprouts
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 06:28:33 pm »
*Sigh* For all you Sprout lovers such as myself...

Salmonella triggers nationwide sprout recall
Alfalfa sprouts were sold in at least 18 states; 23 sickened so far.

Outlets include Walmarts.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37280519/ns/health-food_safety/

-Will

Sprouts go well with vodka enemas?

MtD

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 06:31:02 pm »
Sprouts go well with vodka enemas?

MtD

Dont be silly, You should only use Olives for Vodka Enemas.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 06:39:23 pm »
Dont be silly, You should only use Olives for Vodka Enemas.

-Will

They'd wanna be big fucking olives.

MtD

Offline john33

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 06:50:22 pm »
natures but plugs!!! ;)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 06:53:24 pm »
natures but plugs!!! ;)

You mean "Nature is but plugs!" yes? :)

MtD

Offline john33

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 06:54:08 pm »
same thing isn't it?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 06:55:13 pm »
same thing isn't it?

Presumably.

MtD

Offline Basquo

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 06:27:38 pm »
One of the docs told me that sprouts of various kinds are big transmitters of e. coli on salad bars. I've not eaten sprouts off a salad bar or from a restaurant since then. I do like them from the store, though, washed well and stuffed into some kind of sandwich!

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 06:44:33 pm »
LOL re: the martini enemas  ;D ;D

I had no idea sprouts were big big transmitters of e. coli on salad bars.  Luckily, I rarely eat salad much less from salad bars...

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 10:22:52 pm »
One of the docs told me that sprouts of various kinds are big transmitters of e. coli on salad bars. I've not eaten sprouts off a salad bar or from a restaurant since then. I do like them from the store, though, washed well and stuffed into some kind of sandwich!

Same here Basq, I avoid the salad bar sprouts entirely as you are just asking for it there. But I love them from the store, and I get rather anal about washing each individual sprout thoroughly before it goes on my salad, Pad thai, or Cucumber Sandwiches :)

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline edfu

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 05:11:28 am »
All raw alfalfa sprouts are one of the most dangerous foods, whether from salad bars or at home, for those with compromised immune systems to eat.  The FDA and the CDC both advise immune-compromised individuals, the elderly, and infants to avoid them.  The sprouts are grown in moist environments, heightening the chances of bacterial growth.  Even worse, most E. coli infection of sprouts is not removed by washing, because the infection occurs in the alfalfa seed itself.  
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 05:32:14 am »
Yesterday morning (Sunday)  Ed and I went to Sweet tomatoes for the breakfast buffet, at 9:00am.

They have portions of the salad bar open and Ed decided to start off with some broccoli and  cauliflower, along with a few other leafy greens.  He put Ranch dressing on it.

I had some diced up celery and radishes with, along with some tomatoes with  a Vinaigrette dressing on it.

After that he made himself a breakfast burrito.  I on the other hand, just had some scrambled eggs, and waffles.

Around 11:00,  Ed was saying his back was killing him, and he was achy all over.  He then said he felt feverish.

By 3:00 in the afternoon, he was violently throwing up .  After he brought everything back up, he said he felt a lot better.

I suspected he got some some of food poisoning from the buffet table. I didn't have anything that he had to eat , and was fine.

He seems to be OK now, but he was one sick pup yesterday afternoon.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 07:22:05 am »
Sprouts are so 70's. Salad bars are so 80's.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 07:35:35 am »
Sprouts are so 70's. Salad bars are so 80's.

Be that as it may , it's also very 2010 ish.  Salad bars are very popular.

Sweet tomatoes , being one of the better ones down here.

http://www.souplantation.com/locations/

However, what happened to Ed yesterday, may keep us away for a while !   :o

He's still a little quezzy

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline john33

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 07:38:42 am »
To be honest i've avoided Salad Bars for years.
They're a prime breeding ground for things. Perhaps it's having worked in Kitchens for years, but i tend to err on the side of caution.
By the way always avoid Hollandaise sauce if you go to a restaurant, fish on a monday and muscles (the shelfish kind)

John

Offline mecch

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 07:44:10 am »
I was just being flippant.

Anyway, I think you should report that vomitous experience to the health department.  If a restaurant is going to make money off a salad bar there is a responsibility to protect their patrons by following strict food safety guidelines.

Any decent restaurant knows the guidelines. One of the dangers with salad bars is that patrons don't know the guidelines.  

I'd personally have a good look at the salad bar and make sure that at least the spoons and tongs are handled correctly.  There are tongs that come down on elastic hangers and handles never touch any food areas.  Also the whole thing should be well covered in glass to the point its almost inconvenient to get the food.  Its not the worse idea to wash your hands after getting your salad cause very few will have washed before.    Cold food should be COLD and hot food should be HOT, not tepid.

I guess everyone knows these rules but in the heat of the hunger and all those appetizing foods, we lose our senses.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 08:15:50 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 07:50:38 am »

They're a prime breeding ground for things. Perhaps it's having worked in Kitchens for years, but i tend to err on the side of caution.

John

I agree with you. This is the first time, since going to salad bars for 30 years that one of us ever got sick from it.

The last time we both got sick was in the early 80's.  We had just finished eating at long John Silvers.  Within the hour, we were both on the toilet, with diarrhea. That was a bad experience.  We've never been back to a Long Johns since!

I think what bothers me about Buffets and salad bars, are the number of hands that touch the serving utensils!  you follow right along after the person in front of you.  This is why I like washing my hands,  befire I serve myself and after I use the utensils.  But most people don't.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline john33

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 07:53:11 am »
I totally agree, OK the Kitchen staff may be immaculately clean, but that doesn't apply to Joe Public who just got back from the loo without washing his hands

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 07:58:43 am »
John,

I also worked in a couple restaurant kitchens quite a few years ago.  Most people don't have a clue what takes place in the kitchen ! 

Ray ::)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline john33

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 08:01:51 am »
as far as most people are concerned ignorance is bliss, and I have to agree, it's not a pretty (or comforting) site. :o

John (who wondering if that's why he doesn't eat out much these days)

Offline mecch

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 08:18:37 am »
I see we are all on the same wavelength

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 10:55:10 am »
I usually go for the broccoli sprouts, or the spicy sprouts, which are mixed broccoli and clover sprouts.

Or at least I did.

After reading all of this, I may just eschew them all.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.