Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:24:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 521
Total: 521

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Wifes CD4's seemed to have dropped drastically  (Read 4126 times)

Offline DaneGrey

Wifes CD4's seemed to have dropped drastically
« on: June 26, 2006, 02:05:54 pm »
My wife, who is still in Africa as we await her visa.

Tested Poz in earlier this year, her CD4's on Feb 20th were a strong 644.

She just got re-tested June 23rd, her CD4 is now 320, thats a big drop in 4 months, I tried not to be concerned when she told me, but in fact I swallowed hard.

At that rate, well, I'm concerned.

Any insight is appreciated.

BTW, we don't know the Viral Load, they keep saying it is an unnecessary expense, my wife, unlike a Westerner, doesn't challenge the Doc, even though I told her to get the Viral load done.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 02:08:18 pm by DaneGrey »

Offline Christine

Re: Wifes CD4's seemed to have dropped drastically
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 04:56:38 pm »
Do you know what her cd4% is? The absolute cd4 count can jump around a lot, the % is more stable indicator. Just because the counts drop on one test does not mean she is progressing. Would you be able to call her Doctor and request a VL test? Or write a letter to her Doctor?
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline DaneGrey

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 07:06:06 pm »
Do you know what her cd4% is? The absolute cd4 count can jump around a lot, the % is more stable indicator. Just because the counts drop on one test does not mean she is progressing. Would you be able to call her Doctor and request a VL test? Or write a letter to her Doctor?
Christine

Christine,

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Here are the exact #'s from her test on Feb 20.
CD4 644
CD3 Average 3500
cd4/cd8 0.32

Doesn't sound like that was on there. I have not seen the latest one, she just gave me the number over the phone today.

Unfortunately she is in a very, disorganised 3rd World country, I won't say which, I've spent alot of time there the last 3 yrs, and no, unfortunately I coulld have no way to contact her doc.

The Doc's are completely unreliable, they will not show up for appts they schedule, go on vacation, or just not show up to the hospital/clinic for weeks at a time, the staff often having no idea when they will come back. It's just crazy but the whole country moves that way.

That is why "bribes" exist, LOL.

I will tell her she needs to get the CD/4 % & Viral Load done.

Offline doyourowndamndishes

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 02:57:06 pm »
Hi Dane,

Yes as Christine mentioned, those lab results will help, especially the viral load.  Further, it is trends in numbers that doctors use to evaluate disease progression not one single lab result.  Cd4s, viral load, and any test result can jump around, even daily; I had a blip about a year ago in viral load which made me think ok need to change meds again.  It was just a blip and they are common.  Once a trend has been established then immune health can be better discerned.

I know it's hard especially when dealing with loved ones but try to relax.  Even with the drop in numbers you could be making a mountain out of a molehill.

Cheers,

Alan
"All that we are is theresult of what we have thought." -Buddha

Offline krakerjm

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 03:29:34 pm »
That is a serious drop even though fluxuations are not uncommon, and not knowing the vl?  Wait for another test, if it drops in the 200s can she get meds?
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop
"I swear there ain't no heaven, pray ther ain't no hell"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.