Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:22:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 514
Total: 515

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Voluntering  (Read 2866 times)

Offline wolfter

Voluntering
« on: March 03, 2011, 09:37:42 am »
I have volunteered at many agencies over the years and really enjoy the benefits I receive from doing so.  I decided it was time to step up to the plate and do my part with the AIDS crisis and contacted the CATF in Columbus.  

I spoke with the nicest person and I explained my experiences both professionally and personally and indicated I would like to help wherever my skills would be best utilized. She then explained the application process and the fee associated with them. It's only $10 and I will gladly pay it, but am a little taken back by it. I've never had to pay to volunteer any other place and I've worked with other agencies that required back ground checks and such.  

Is this becoming standard practice?
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Voluntering
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 10:27:38 am »
http://www.catf.net/volunteer.html
the info says that fee is for the background check.

I think the fee sounds odd for a volunteer position; but I do applaud you for making the effort to offer your services. I know this past year of working for my ASO and the SC task force has been rewarding. I'm certain I'm making a small difference in the way our government budgets for this disease and it's treatment; and I know that my prevention and education efforts have made a small difference in the infection rate and community stigma. On a personal level, not only has volunteering given me something to fill the hours but it's given those hours a purpose.

You're welcome to move down here to SC where I think we're #8 with the highest new infections, plus we have an ADAP waiting list. We'll put you to work in my ASO (Catawba Care) in Rock Hill and/or on the SC HIV/AIDS Task Force - with no fee! ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 10:38:46 am »
I could only live there for 3 months out of the year.  I don't do heat well at all.  I love my winter weather!  But thanks for the offer.  Perhaps a visit the next time I head to FL.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 10:47:25 am »
I love my winter weather!  But thanks for the offer.  Perhaps a visit the next time I head to FL.
I must admit that I miss the snow after these past 25 yrs up in the Cleveland/Canton area. A year and a half back, and I'm still having some culture shock. (Oh god! I miss Yankees because they don't talk so funny LOL). If you go to FL to see your mom via 77, I'm living on the same side of the highway here in SC as I was up in OH, so stop in.

I am curious to hear other comments about this fee. Maybe after the CATF accepts you, you can ask and find out more. Perhaps that agency, in a big city, has had more problems that say a place like the hick agencies here in rural SC. Although I was talking about this with a few friends and we've never heard of any agency (breast cancer, schools, hospital, hospice, etc) charging a fee of it's volunteers.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 12:15:42 pm »
I would venture to say that in today's economic climate, they're charging the fee so as to not eat up funds that could be put to better use.

Charging the fee would weed out potential time-wasters who volunteer but only show up once or twice before disappearing. Background checks, while not terribly expensive, do cost money and if that money is spent on someone who just disappears, well, it's a waste. This way even if they do disappear, it is at no overhead cost to the organisation.

It wouldn't surprise me if more agencies are doing this now days.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 12:24:23 pm »
I would venture to say that in today's economic climate, they're charging the fee so as to not eat up funds that could be put to better use.

It wouldn't surprise me if more agencies are doing this now days.

Given how stretched HIV services are in America, nothing surprises me anymore. At one time, we gave dinners and parties for volunteers, to acknowledge their contributions to the cause and now we charge them for background checks? Something is horribly wrong with this picture. HIV services are being squeezed from both the top, through underfunding and the bottom, by having to charge volunteers so they can donate their time. What a truly sad development.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 01:02:24 pm »
The zoo where I live wanted a 45 dollar a year and a 60 hour a year commitment in order to volunter .

I have complications from being POZ so long , I never know how Im going to feel each day until I face it so voluntering at a place where they really need and count on me is not the best idea , I have found other ways to be of service and help out when I can .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.