HIV Prevention and Testing > Do I Have HIV?

do I need to test if I failed to pinch tip of condom?

(1/1)

ehsa2014:
Hello all
I do have a question regarding the experience I recently had with an unknown partner
I met someone through online dating and we ended up having sex. I told her that Im STD free and she said she was free too but she asked us to use condoms since its first time we met and we dont know each other very well. that was little bit uncomfortable to me when she said that
Anyway, I put a condom on and had sex with her. unfortunately I forgot to pinch the tip of the condom at the beginning.
In the middle of the sex, I pulled out to have some rest. condom was still covering me when I was having rest on the bed . I was so tired and after couple minutes I noticed that Im not fully erected and decided to take out the condom and we decided to leave without more sex.
I was searching online and I noticed if someone fails to pinch the tip of the condom, it can create micro tears while performing sex due to air bubbles and that person will be exposed. I panicked and could not find more information. there was no visible tear or break in the condom.
because I forgot to pinch the tip of the condom and also because condom was covering me for couple minutes when I was not fully erected outside of her body  ,Do I need to test for HIV in this scenario?
I appreciate if someone can guide me

Jim Allen:
Hiya,

You should pinch the teat to remove the air before rolling the condom down your penis. Not doing so may increase the risk that it could break during intercourse; however, that didn't happen, and HIV can't transmit through an intact latex or polyurethane condom.

Unless a condom obviously fails during intercourse, there is no reason to be stressing or testing for HIV outside of the standard yearly routine. So relax, and move on with your life.

Some tips on correct condom usage:

Use approved condoms and check for a certification mark (e.g. FDA, C.E., ISO or Kitemark) because the condom then complies with safety standards. Check the expiry date and make sure the condom is still within date.

Use lubricant condom safe water-based lubricants make condoms more comfortable and reduce breakage risk. but avoid oil-based lubricants as they can weaken or break condoms.

As for putting the condom on correctly:

Incorrectly done, the risk of breakage can increase. Place the condom on top of the erect penis and pinch the teat at the end of the condom before you start to roll it down the penis. By doing this, you'll squeeze out any air bubbles and ensure there is room for the semen (cum). Roll the condom down to the base of the penis.

If it's on correctly, it will roll downwards easily. If you've started putting it on the wrong way, take it off, and even if you or your partner has not ejaculated (cum), there can still be semen or (pre-cum), so it's important to try again with a new condom. (More to do with risks from other STI's/pregancy than anything else)

Finally, never "test" the condom before or after intercourse. It's not needed at all and could damage the condom, as it's not designed as a reusable (re-stressed) product, and testing could lead you to mistakenly think that the condom was damaged during sex, when in fact, you caused the damage after the intercourse by trying to "test" it.

Instead, use condoms correctly and consistently. If they don't break during intercourse, there is no reason to stress or test for HIV outside of standard yearly screening.

Here's what you need to know to reduce your HIV risks:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse correctly and consistently, with no exceptions. Consider talking to your healthcare provider about PrEP as an additional layer of protection against HIV

Keep in mind that some sexual practices described as safe in terms of acquiring HIV still pose a risk for other easier-acquired STIs. So please do get tested at least yearly for STIs, including but not limited to HIV, and more frequently if condomless intercourse occurs.

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms; testing is the only way to know.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV" Forum, you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post, which will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread, and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be removed.

ehsa2014:
thank you

Jim Allen:
You're welcome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version