Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:19:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 374
Total: 374

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Who advocates for a crazy person in jail?  (Read 16722 times)

Offline Oceanbeach

Who advocates for a crazy person in jail?
« on: February 08, 2008, 01:38:30 am »
Ms. Seabreeze has been in jail for 7 months since her 3rd DUI of the year on August 1st.  She has court hearing every week which are postponed because she is not considered fit to stand trial and she is taken back to jail until the next hearing.

It is not known by me if she is being offered help with her mental issues in jail or if she is refusing help.  Her attorney is the Public Defender, meets with her for a few minutes before each hearing and then the District Attorney and then the judge postpones the hearing until a later date.  Her Public Defender Attorney is aware Ms. Seabreeze needs some help and has stated she plans on seeing she get some help and the medical staff at the jail confirmed they had all of her anti-depressants and mood stabilizers in supply but, I wonder if the medical staff has taken into consideration the additional stress Ms. Seabreeze gets from being in jail but it is not known if her dosage has been changed to account for such stress or if she is being offered psychiatric help.

It does not seem likely there will be any improvement from one hearing to the next if nothing is being done except keeping her in mental lockdown.  I have paid all of her bills, have the storage of her personal belongings paid several months in advance and see she has money in her inmate account for the things she may need.  This months check is the first in 7 months which belongs to her with all bills paid so, I did not take it to the bank and plan on keeping the rest until she gets released so, she will not be out on the street with nothing.

It is just my opinion that she needs to be in a mental health related recovery program and I don't know who to approach to try and get a professional intervention and get her the care she needs.  Does anyone know where to start or which organization to begin with?  Have the best day
Michael

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Who advocates for a crazy person in jail?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 05:01:08 am »
Sorry Michael I have no advise for you I just wanted to say that Ms seabreeze is lucky to have you, you have certainly been through a lot of ups and downs with her..a lesser man would have walked away.

You are a good person and I'm sure you will find a way of getting her the help she needs.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline dvinemstre

• hot in carolina
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 07:05:53 am »
hi Michael, I am not sure which state the jailed person is in, that makes a difference. Is she being medicated, detoxed, etc at jail? My advocacy work for mental health related issues is such that in our area we have various organizations, including a mental health court which works with the drug court to make sure persons with issues along there lines are able to get the services they need, rather than simply tossing them into another bad situation in mail. You could try to locate a group in your area called NAMI which is a national advocacy group for persons with mental illness. If this is not fruitful, then please feel free to PM me and I will see what I can find out. I need the location and her "official" diagnoses if I pursue it. thanks, Zan

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 07:55:27 am »
Hi Michael, I'm not sure how it's done in your location, but here they have what Zan referred to as "mental health" courts.  When someone in the jail might have a serious disorder, they sent that person to the local county mental health hospital as an inpatient and get them going with a psychiatrist and therapist to try to remedy the situation.  They all end up going back to the jail, though. 

If you're her power-of-attorney, I would think you would be able to talk with the jail officials and bring up your concerns.  You sure are being a good friend to her.  I hope that if I ever get in a bad situation, that I have a friend like you.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline bosco

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 09:09:06 am »
Ms. Seabreeze has been in jail for 7 months since her 3rd DUI of the year on August 1st.  She has court hearing every week which are postponed because she is not considered fit to stand trial and she is taken back to jail until the next hearing.

It is not known by me if she is being offered help with her mental issues in jail or if she is refusing help.  Her attorney is the Public Defender, meets with her for a few minutes before each hearing and then the District Attorney and then the judge postpones the hearing until a later date.  Her Public Defender Attorney is aware Ms. Seabreeze needs some help and has stated she plans on seeing she get some help and the medical staff at the jail confirmed they had all of her anti-depressants and mood stabilizers in supply but, I wonder if the medical staff has taken into consideration the additional stress Ms. Seabreeze gets from being in jail but it is not known if her dosage has been changed to account for such stress or if she is being offered psychiatric help.

It does not seem likely there will be any improvement from one hearing to the next if nothing is being done except keeping her in mental lockdown.  I have paid all of her bills, have the storage of her personal belongings paid several months in advance and see she has money in her inmate account for the things she may need.  This months check is the first in 7 months which belongs to her with all bills paid so, I did not take it to the bank and plan on keeping the rest until she gets released so, she will not be out on the street with nothing.

It is just my opinion that she needs to be in a mental health related recovery program and I don't know who to approach to try and get a professional intervention and get her the care she needs.  Does anyone know where to start or which organization to begin with?  Have the best day
Michael

Michael -
First, does she have a bond? If she does have a bond is the amount something you can post? If the amount is too hight have the PD schedule a hearing for a reduction of bond. In Georgia where I practice, bail bondsmen usuall require between 10-12% of the total bond amount.

Second, suffering from a mental illness doesn't necessarily mean you are incompettent to stand trial. The PD needs to schedule a competancy exam. In Georgia the criteria is whether: the person understands the nature of the charges, can they assist their attorney and understand the proceedings. In Georgia if an individual is incompetant to stand trial they are sent to a State facility until they are deemed competant.

A DUI should be a misdemeanor unless there are other charges connected to driving while intoxicated. Which means at least in Georgia, the maximum punishment is 12 months incarceration and $1000.00 fine. Now if your State has enhanced DUI penalties the fine might be higher. Since she has been in jail for 7 months why doesn't the PD approach the DA and work out a plea. If it was me I'd time serve her and release her with 5 months on probation.

As to her medication, again in Georgia, using the currents medications is hit or miss. Somet jurisdictions within the State allow an inmate to take currently perscribed meds, some require the meds to come from the Doctor along with treatment notes, others require a State Doctor to examine the person and perscribe meds that they think are necessary. At least in Georgia there is no hard and fast rule.

I'd light a fire under her PD, they could be doing more. 
"Dog is my co-pilot".

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 09:16:14 am »
Hi Zan,

We are in California, Ms. Seabreeze was arrested in June for a DUI and released after one night.  She was arrested again on July 1st and was released after 17 days in jail (in general population). She was arrested again on August 1st for another DUI. She has been in mental lockdown.  The current charges are 3 DUI's, a minor traffic incident, driving on a suspended license and failure to provide proof of insurance.  Her insurance paid a claim against her for leaving the scene of an earlier accident (which would have been a DUI if she was there when the Highway Patrol got there).  She has hit two other cars, I know of (1 was mine) but those are not charged.  There is also a bill from San Francisco for DUI related charges from 2001, so we know she has a history.

Her diagnosis is manic depression, bi-polar, alcoholism, deafness, COPD and carpel tunnel.  She refused to sign her SSI recertification in September so I did it for her.  She had 5 clinic appointments in the past year (before the recertification) 4 of those appointments were with psychologists.

She holds a Masters in Psychology from UC Berkeley, has taught Psychology, worked as a counselor and some other similar type jobs, I can't remember right now.  Her last job was teaching a Second Level DUI course in the Napa Valley.  She has effectively failed her own course.  

When she was arrested in July, I went through her house and gathered up all her medications and met with a Nurse at the jail.  The Nurse assured me that all of her medications were available at the jail.  I have recently received a letter from Seabreeze which I find disturbing, she of course has not had access to alcohol in 7 months but she could not be on her depression medications.

In her letter, she plans on starting AA when she is released and will try not to drink and drive but expects to do so at times... I had one of her old cars and she expects it returned but, according to her Public Defender Attorney, it will result in felony charges if she is even caught in the drivers seat of any car for several years.  I hold Power of Attorney and have already put in more unpaid hours in cleaning up her messes, than any person should have.  I don't drink with Seabreeze, never have and rarely drank with Don (her other friend).  According to the Public Defender Attorney, Don's name lights up like a Christmas tree with arrest warrants.

A couple of months ago, there was a complaint filed against me to every AIDS service organization, which I get services through, the goal was to get my medical care, medications and all services stopped.  The caller was  anonymous, the charges were false and the only people who knew which services were used and my AIDSMEDS screen name were Seabreeze and her friend Don.  Printouts from these Forums were included in the first meeting, an attorney was offered in the second meeting.  She could have made those calls with a phone card, which she can purchase at the jail but, it is more likely he did on one of those prepaid cell phones.  The two organizations I had meeting with simply said "a caller".

She needs psychiatric care and after 7 months, I do not believe the county jail has the capabilities or the interest.  They run her from jail to court, from jail to court and from jail to court.  If she is not capable of standing trial, why can't they put her in a state hospital program.  I have stopped going to visit the jail and I have stopped going to court.  When she does get released, I do not want her in my house, I will not pick her up but I have her February Social Security check uncashed, any future checks received, some files and all of her personal property is in a storage space which is rented in my name.  I have kept track of my time and tasks and have over 200 hours on her stuff.

Don is not disabled, he is lazy (always unemployed) and a drunk.  He is 47 years old and lives off his elderly mother, a very sick lady or some girl on Welfare.  He has claimed to use more than one Social Security number and has probably never filed taxes in his life.  I know he had hoped to get his dead fathers Social Security number because it would be Don Sr. and Don Jr., there is also a son of Don Jr. named Don. Always under the radar and never contributing his share.  Sooner or later, he will be pulled over in traffic and arrested.  I know these people because when I moved here three years ago, I could only get an apartment in one building because I have HIV and a dog.  They had apartments in that building.  In one of my dreams, Don and Seabreeze become neighbors again, not in an apartment building but in the Main Adult Detention Center in Santa Rosa.

In the letter from Seabreeze, she stated she had a new person to be Power of Attorney, the Pastor of her church, so I have called that Pastor three times, left messages and have not had a return call.  I do not believe the Pastor is aware of her status as Power of Attorney.  I have done more than my fair share and if I turn her case over to the County Conservator, there is a levee on her bank account for $14,000.00 for unpaid state taxes which the county would pay without caring where she goes after jail and the winters are too cold for a 60 year old woman to survive on the street.  Have the best day
Michael

Edited to add- the other job title, I could not remember was Psycho Therapist
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:23:42 am by Sonomabeach »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 10:58:47 am »
Michael, I wish I had some definitive answers for you.  This must be so frustrating.  You might want to like make a list of what you want to do, step by step.  It always helps me to make lists rather than wing it.  Not really sure what to suggest to you to do, as it seems like you're doing everything possible to find some kind of remedy to the situation.  Good luck! :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 11:32:35 am »
Another possible resource for assistance = The ARC (formerly Association of Retarded Citizens), which also lends assistance to people with other developmental disabilities and also substance abuse issues.  While I'm not certain they would be th specific ones to help, I would wager that they could also point you in a right direction.  I also saw mention of NAMI above.  Haven't read all the way throught this thread yet, but I would say that's a great call.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline dvinemstre

• hot in carolina
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 08:13:49 pm »
hi, the ARC only works with famililes with Mental retardation and other developmental disabilities, which substance abuse is not...sigh...ok so she is simply a wreck. Seems to me the best place for her is jail so she doesn't kill someone. As for medications, the federal government and each state are required to provide all medications, but she is more than allowed to refuse. It seems to me she needs a stern dose of reality and btw, you can divest yourself from being payee or any other responsible party with or WITHOUT her consent. SSA will simply hold the money in escrow account and pay it out when the new person is appointed. of course by law you should report she is incarcerated, since this will mean her benefit will be cut while she is in there. What a kettle of fish this one is...if you decide to stick with the person I can ask my friend who specializes in prison work with deaf and hard of hearing to contact you via email. She is a rehab counselor like me but now lives in Kansas. thanks, zan

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 11:57:03 pm »
SSA will simply hold the money in escrow account and pay it out when the new person is appointed. of course by law you should report she is incarcerated, since this will mean her benefit will be cut while she is in there. What a kettle of fish this one is...if you decide to stick with the person I can ask my friend who specializes in prison work with deaf and hard of hearing to contact you via email. She is a rehab counselor like me but now lives in Kansas. thanks, zan

OMG! I'm supposed to report to the SSA that she is incarcerated?  I did her SSA recertification and incarceration was niether asked nor discussed.  I have accepted 6 monthly disability checks and paid her bills with it.  Please have your friend contact me, I could really use some help.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 12:02:31 am »
Do I have the right to pay myself for the 200 hours?  If so, what would be an acceptable fee for my services?  Have the best day
Michael

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 12:19:57 am »
hi, the ARC only works with famililes with Mental retardation and other developmental disabilities, which substance abuse is not...sigh...

I recognize that substance abuse is not...sigh....a developmental disability.  I suggested (and maintain) that The ARC might be able to point him in the direction of assistance if nothing else pans out.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline md

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 12:21:56 am »
Sounds like she might need a conservator.

Anyone can file a petition for the appointment of a conservator but that will set you back a few hundred dollars in filing fees and you won't get very far without an attorney. If a conservator is ultimately appointed (not necessarily you - it could be the Public Guardian) you should be able to get those costs reimbursed.

It is a very difficult situation - good luck with it.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 03:22:27 am »
Michael---

I have been following the escapades of Ms. Seabreeze since you started posting about her. I said it back then and I'll say it again, You have done more than your share to help. And I give you mad props because if Ms.Seabreeze was the one who made those calls or put someone up to making those calls to try to jeopardize the services you receive, I would've said the hell with her, let her figure it all out when she gets out. It doesn't sound like she appreciates anything you have done for her. So, I have to ask....Why are you still helping her?
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 08:58:37 am »
Do I have the right to pay myself for the 200 hours?  If so, what would be an acceptable fee for my services?  Have the best day
Michael

Michael, I don't believe a power-of-attorney legally has a right to be paid.  I'm not 100% certain of this, though.  If you have the papers about that, it should say in there.

Offline bear60

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 11:05:23 am »
Michael
I hate to say it but it really sounds like you need a lawyer.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline dvinemstre

• hot in carolina
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 05:29:21 pm »
whenever a person's place of residence changes you have 30 days to report it to the SSA. they will adjust the SSi money on the basis of this. It is because SSI is designed ot pay for food and housing, and if she is in jail, they are housing and feeding her. If she is absent from home, moved or in jail for more than 30 days it is required. and in answer to your question you may not pay yourself for anything you have done for her. When a person is a power of attorney or rep payee there is no compensation other than the intrinsic value of doing good. Peace, Zan

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 09:58:16 pm »
Hmmm, I have known a few people on disability and SSI seems to catch their checks quick as hell. Michael, dearest, report that she is in jail. I don't think they will hold it against you since you still have the checks. Or you can turn them in at the local office I am sure. Honestly, I think circumstances is dictating that you have done all that you could for Ms. Seabreeze. Your job is done unless you're going to continue to pay the storage for her out of your own pocket. I don't see SSI covering that. Or better yet let her dear friend, Don take care of it. See how long her stuff lasts then? Then Ms. Seabreeze may come to her senses and see what a friend she had in you.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 10:40:05 pm »
I have been on SSI for almost 12 years, have lived in 6 different houses and the only change in my "benefits" has been the annual increase.  Included in those moves was the "crack house" apartment building in Guerneville where I met both Seabreeze and Don.  Out of 15 units, there were only 4 where the tenants were not using, cooking or selling crystal meth.  There were 16 Deputy Sheriffs stationed at the Guerneville substation (3 blocks away) who were aware of this.  During the 5 months I lived there, the rent on that unit was 80% of my SSI income and my income was never adjusted.

The Power of Attorney as signed by Ms. Seabreeze grants full powers including but not limited to sell, deed, buy, trade, lease, mortgage, assign, rent or dispose of any of her future real or personal property; the right to execute, accept, undertake, and perform all contracts in her name; the right to deposit, endorse, or withdraw funds from any bank accounts, depositories or safety deposit box; the right to borrow, lend, invest or reinvest funds on any terms; the right to initiate, defend, commence or settle legal actions on her behalf; the right to vote (in person or by proxy) any shares or beneficial interests in any entity; the right to retain any accountant, attorney, physician or other advisor deemed necessary to protect her interests generally or relative to any foregoing unlimited power.   I have spent 200 hours of my time doing exactly that which included moving her personal property into a storage facility in 100 degree heat (with no help).  This document was notorized by a full-time employee of the County of Sonoma, at the Main Adult Detention Center.

I believe it was a representative from Social Security who stated, "The Social Security Administration does not recognize Powers of Attorney."  I did prepare and sign the SSI recertification paperwork on her behalf and they are still sending her monthly disability checks.  She was arrested on August 1st, after cashing her monthly SSI check which those funds went to her inmate account at the Main Adult Detention Center.  He check dated from September 2 to January 1 have all been used to pay her bills, I have a file of receipts which balance to the penny.  Her February check is unsigned and in the box of receipts.

Last month, there was $185.00 missing from her checking account.  I called her bank to find she has a levee on that account for the amount of $14,000.00 for unpaid state taxes.   Her bank kept $100.00 for legal fees and sent $85.00 to the Franchise Tax Board, State of California.  I guess now she only owes $13,915.00 to the State of California.

Her friend Pam (20 something years of friendship) called me the other night because she had sent a mean letter to Ms. Seabreeze at the jail and asked if I was aware of the letter... I was, but I feel the same way.  Now, Pam is all up in the kool-aid about getting Ms. Seabreeze transferred to another facility where she can progress to a level of wellness to stand trial.  My letter from Ms. Seabreeze last month informed me that I was no longer her Power of Attorney, that her Pastor had taken the responsibility.  I responded with Thank you, please have the Pastor call me to take possession of files, P.O. Box key and the storage unit.  There was no response so, I have left 3 messages with the Pastor, who has not returned a call.  I really don't believe Pastor was aware of this change but the failure to return my calls is rude.

I have done all the work, have paid out of pocket for fuel to travel 26 miles up the mountain to feed her pets, pack her things and move her personal stuff into a storage unit.  All there is left to do is check the mailbox once each week and since the church is so near the Post Office, the Pastor could do that every Sunday.  I are tired.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 10:58:52 pm »
Hmmm, I have known a few people on disability and SSI seems to catch their checks quick as hell. Michael, dearest, report that she is in jail. I don't think they will hold it against you since you still have the checks. Or you can turn them in at the local office I am sure. Honestly, I think circumstances is dictating that you have done all that you could for Ms. Seabreeze. Your job is done unless you're going to continue to pay the storage for her out of your own pocket. I don't see SSI covering that. Or better yet let her dear friend, Don take care of it. See how long her stuff lasts then? Then Ms. Seabreeze may come to her senses and see what a friend she had in you.

I have been trying to file a Civil Harassment Restraining Order against Don.  He has no known address so, I can not have him served.  I used to wonder why after my time spent here on the Russian River, and all the work I have done in maintaining funding for people living with HIV in Sonoma County, I have no friends.  In two years on the Sonoma County Commission on AIDS and all the subcommittees, I was never invited to any social events by the other members with HIV.  I have been alone since I left Los Angeles in July 2000 and had gotten used to it until AMG 07 in San Francisco.  That evening, I turned the car around three times to go home but yet, I was drawn to Meet and Greet.  I found myself fun and charming, like I was in L.A. with my friends and now.. this life is just not good enough.  ;D Have the best day
Michael

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 11:18:10 pm »
Oh dear Michael, you and I need to go visit Philly so we can all have a pajama party and do facials! :D  Hang in there, sweetie.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 11:28:21 pm »
Oh dear Michael, you and I need to go visit Philly so we can all have a pajama party and do facials! :D  Hang in there, sweetie.

Could we put our hair in rollers, paint our toenails, call boys and giggle all night?  ;D  Betty dear you are a true person who wins my heart.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2008, 11:30:15 pm »
Could we put our hair in rollers, paint our toenails, call boys and giggle all night?  ;D  Betty dear you are a true person who wins my heart.  Have the best day
Michael

Why of course we could, but with my thinning hair, I would have to get some pretty thin curlers. :P 

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 11:34:03 pm »
Why of course we could, but with my thinning hair, I would have to get some pretty thin curlers. :P 

I have some extensions we can use.  They are polyester dreadlocks I got in L.A. when I wanted to be Rastafarian for a Day.  ;D Have the best day
Michael

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 11:37:37 pm »
You know, the last person I was in a relationship with just blurted out one day "I bet Bob Marley lives in a house made of marijuana."  He said it with a jealous tone. 

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2008, 11:39:24 pm »

Hey, don't forget to swing by and pick me up on the way. I could use a facial... ;)
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2008, 11:40:31 pm »
Yes, my Queen, we could all start a caravan!  That would really be a blast.  And I'm sure, unforgettable. ;)

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2008, 11:49:02 pm »
And I just went to the hair salon to get my blond locks cut off.  All that is left is old guy grey hair  ;D Have the best day
Michael

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2008, 11:55:00 pm »
Honey, that's why I bleach my hair.  I forgot what the original color ever was.  Hmmmm...

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2008, 11:56:25 pm »
I have been trying to file a Civil Harassment Restraining Order against Don.  He has no known address so, I can not have him served.  I used to wonder why after my time spent here on the Russian River, and all the work I have done in maintaining funding for people living with HIV in Sonoma County, I have no friends.  In two years on the Sonoma County Commission on AIDS and all the subcommittees, I was never invited to any social events by the other members with HIV.  I have been alone since I left Los Angeles in July 2000 and had gotten used to it until AMG 07 in San Francisco.  That evening, I turned the car around three times to go home but yet, I was drawn to Meet and Greet.  I found myself fun and charming, like I was in L.A. with my friends and now.. this life is just not good enough.  ;D Have the best day
Michael

Uh, ok, so Don is M.I.A... Well, if Pam wants to take on the responsibility then let her. It sounds like to me that the good Pastor doesn't want to be bothered with Ms. Seabreeze. And maybe he has good reason. Even a man of God has his limits. Knowing Ms. Seabreeze (well as much as I can from your posts), it sounds like she has pushed him beyond his maybe?

Now maybe I am misunderstanding something by your response. And do correct me if I am wrong but you have done all this for Ms. Seabreeze because you need a friend? That seems a bit extreme to me. It doesn't surprise me that the police didn't do anything in regards to the crackhouse. Maybe if a drug dealer moved in they would think about it....Sheesh... I guess busting a few crackheads smoking isn't worth the paperwork. As for not being invited to any social events by your fellow fundraisers and committee people, well, I have no answer for that.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2008, 12:05:25 am »
I gotta say I keep coming up with the same thing as Queen.  You've already gone way, way above and beyond the call.

Go for the dreadlocks and facials.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2008, 02:06:04 am »
Uh, ok, so Don is M.I.A... Well, if Pam wants to take on the responsibility then let her. It sounds like to me that the good Pastor doesn't want to be bothered with Ms. Seabreeze. And maybe he has good reason. Even a man of God has his limits. Knowing Ms. Seabreeze (well as much as I can from your posts), it sounds like she has pushed him beyond his maybe?

Now maybe I am misunderstanding something by your response. And do correct me if I am wrong but you have done all this for Ms. Seabreeze because you need a friend? That seems a bit extreme to me. It doesn't surprise me that the police didn't do anything in regards to the crackhouse. Maybe if a drug dealer moved in they would think about it....Sheesh... I guess busting a few crackheads smoking isn't worth the paperwork. As for not being invited to any social events by your fellow fundraisers and committee people, well, I have no answer for that.

Don goes to great lengths to hide his actual whereabouts.  When we were all living at Crack House Apartments the main building was tented for fumigation.  All of the tenants in that building were relocated to a local motel for fumigation.  That is the building where the electric meters were.  Don was not living in that building but his electric was cut off for non-payment.  He did not receive mail anywhere in town and when he went to pay his bill, the meters were in the tented portion so the electric company could not reconnect the electricity.  He was told to move out by the building owner.  Don, Seabreeze and I all lived in ground floor apartments.  I moved to my house here before the flood of 2005.  The lower levels were all under water during the flood.

In my little house thee was me and my dog, Don and his dog, and Seabreeze with her two dogs and two cats.  There are two types of flood vistims... those who are actually flooded out of their homes and those on higher ground and everyone stays there because it is free.  After 2 months of non stop guests, my neighbors called my landlord, who called me and they wee out or I was going to move again.  The minute after that phone call, they were gone.  Don left a crappy old van in my yard (for several months) and moved in with his mother up north.  Later his girlfriend rented a trailer and when he moved in, she moved out.  She is living somewhere here on the River.  With her Welfare check gone, he is probably living with his mother again.

I went with Seabreeze to the Red Cross when they were offering assistance for flood victims.  She got a temporary room at a hotel and I got her signed up for Section 8 rental assistance.  She had 30 days to find a house, got the only extension for another 30 days and was about to lose her assistance.  I found her a really nice little house in the mountains on an acre 3 days before she lost Section 8.  FEMA gave her money to buy furniture and we shopped for days.

She was all moved in and sat down on one of the chairs, opened a can of beer and did nothing for 18 months.  The place was rented to her because the property owner lived next door and liked me.  She hoped I would be around to do things with.

Don and Seabreeze decided to grow marijuana on Marie's property and flat out refused to listen to me because... "Seabreeze had a prescription" and Marie would never know.  They bought the plants and they planted them.  Marie brought down a gift for Seabreeze one day and saw the plants.  It took a couple of weeks for Marie to calm down because she was adamantly against having marijuana on her property and she was very clear about that during the landlord tenant interviews.  Seabreeze pretended not to know that because she is almost deaf, and those two losers refused to hear me on the subject.  When the "crisis" was over and Seabreeze did not have to vacate, I told Don and Seabreeze the next rental opportunity was on them and I refused to help.

Seabreeze hit a parked car at the Cazadero market and left the scene while the store keeper and locals were yelling at her to stop.  She drove home and was not charged with a DUI because the Highway Patrol took several hours to respond.  She was charged with leaving the scene of an accident, her insurance paid the damages and cancelled her policy.  One of the charges currently against her is driving without insurance.

She went on a beer run on June 28th, 2007, spent the night in jail and was released pending a court hearing.
She went on a beer run on July 1, 2007, spent several weeks in jail and was released.  I picked her up at a convenience market near the jail and she was already drinking beer.  Marie terminates the lease and Seabreeze goes on a beer run on August 1, 2007.  She is still in jail for the 3 DUI's, driving on a suspended license and driving without insurance.  There was also a minor traffic violation and their was damage on the car she had.

Between June 28th and July 17th, who is driving up the hill every day to feed the two dogs and the two cats?  That would be me.  Completely and conveniently forgetting the only reason she had a house and was not evicted was because of me.  When I moved out of Crack House Apartments, I was $100.00 short on moving costs and she did loan me the money and I paid her back.  Don took the hundred bucks and my sports car to get Fred (another alcoholic) to repair Freds truck.  They moved me out to where I am living now.

That sports car is 29 years old and a minimum 5 day wait for parts fron Santa Barbara.  Seabreeze gave me a 1994 Chrysler LeBaron convertible which had not been registered or licensed since 2003.  It was wrapped up in a tarp at Pam's. Don made the repairs and I drove it for awhile. It still had the 2003 tags and was registered to some guy in Hayward.  It overheated on the way home from a Commission on AIDS meeting, I left it on a side road and walked home.  By morning, it had been towed and impounded.  Seabreeze paid to get the car out of impound and bring the registration current.  Don helped with the repairs.

According to Ms. Seabreeze, I owe her for the car, the impound, the repairs and the current registration.  It does not matter that I put in the 200 hours on her stuff because she has the right to drink and drive but, in her January letter, I still owe her a car.

According to Don, I am an AIDS ridden Faggot, deserve to be dead and I owe him.  Gutter trash like Don does not belong in a county club bar but there is a hard working nice girl he was seeing who worked there and drinks were free.  The last time I saw him we were in the bar, the place was packed.  He stood up at the bar and yelled out, "This faggot is my friend and he has AIDS!  As he was heading to the mens room, he pointed out a few people at the bar, as "Here is a faggot, here is another faggot, and this one is a pig".  The two "faggots", the "pig" and the singer dragged Don out of the mens room (with pants down), past the stage and out the door.  they bashed his head against the pavement while kicking hiim in the face.  It was the best time I ever had with Don.  The girlfriend dumped him shortly after that, I think Mellissa has had enough of the freeloading loser too.

Don and Seabreeze have both lived on the Russian River much longer than I have and by known association, I can understand why the people of the community of Guerneville could not like me.  They are used to seeing the three of us together.  When I saw the pages of posting from the Forums at the benefits complaint meeting, I know some county employee was paid to read my writings, I invited them to inspect my house immediately, inspect the storage space on the same day and suggested they contact Don and Seabreeze because I would like to have a day in court over the charges made.  They are supposed to be Witches, why don't they use majik on me instead of anonymous phone calls? 

Have the best day
Michael

« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 02:08:51 am by Sonomabeach »

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2008, 11:55:02 am »
Michael---

Your replies are interesting, I'll give you that but it seems to me that you are still dancing around my question. Why are you still bothered with Ms. Seabreeze? You have done enough, walk away or run if you have to. Even though Seabreeze lost a car, I think you made it up for it by all the things you have done for her. I don't knock you for wanting to help someone but it would seem to me that you would want to help someone who appreciates it. Just saying.....
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline bear60

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2008, 01:21:12 pm »
Whats wrong with old guy grey hair??

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2008, 02:30:27 pm »
Whats wrong with old guy grey hair??
There is nothing wrong with old guy gray hair... on someone else  ;D  Last Summer a waitress at Lattitude said my hair was beautiful and asked if she could touch it.  Then she asked if it was real.  I said yes it is real, just not natural.  Have the best day
Michael
(who will come home with digital photos today)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 02:32:28 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline bear60

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2008, 04:15:57 pm »
Michael
I love guys with grey hair.  Its less obvious if someone is blond but still. And I hope you sort through all the tangled legal ramifications of helping Ms Thing.  I was thinking maybe you could sue her to recover some money or something.  But then I said to myself, "No.....Michael has had enough trouble with her, so why prolong it"  I tend to agree with Queen.....run...dont walk ....away from this woman.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2008, 06:51:57 pm »
I am just starting to get gray hair but down south of all places. I wish it would come in up north then I could get a silver rinse. I think gray hair on certain people make them look very distinguished. And to quote a movie...RUN FORREST....RUN..... ;D
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2008, 10:23:39 pm »
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have spent the day in a spiritual place and talked about many things.  We have thought about this being a Pisces Moon, Mercury in Retrograde, this being the Year of the Rat and me being born in the Year of the Cat, it may be best to put this off for a couple of weeks.  Pam will be back from her vacation and since their friendship has lasted for over 20 years, and the hard work has been done, Pam should become the new Power of Attorney for her friend.  Being the detail person, I think I am... I will make copies of all docs and file away.  If Pam does not become the new Power of Attorney, I will mail the originals and forward her mail to the jail.

I thank you all for the advice and support, you are truely the best  ;D  Have the best day
Michael
(who will try and download today's pictures)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 10:25:57 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2008, 10:34:39 pm »
What a fabu way to start winding down a thread!  Wow...wherever you are in these pics - I wanna be there!  Michael, you look terrific, hon.  Truly you must have spent your day in a seriously good way because there's a vibe that's coming all the way through your post, man!  Right on.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2008, 11:06:11 pm »
Michael, you've cut your hair since we saw you in SF. You look well.

One thing I thing I should mention, when Social Security finds out your friend was in jail, they will automatically cut off her payments until such time as the money they paid her and shouldn't have is recouped.

They also may just reduce her payments. One person I know had his cut to $415 a month as a result of a similar situation.

I think your idea to pass this along to another power of attorney is a superb idea. Good luck.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2008, 11:12:48 pm »
It is called Sanctuaire, is on Fort Ross Road about half way between Fort Ross and the town of Cazadero.  I have some more pictures  ;D  There was a major fire in the early 70's.  Marie has seen her dreams burned to the ground and build up again;  Her house in the photos, a vacation rental and a monthly rental.  The monthly rental is like Marie's house only smaller.  That is where Seabreeze lost it.

A neighboring parcel (also 40 acres), a two bedroom house and a waterfall is coming available to rent later this year.  I am first in line for the property.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2008, 11:14:46 pm »
You look very content, Michael.  Yes, try to get rid of the POA as soon as possible.  That should relieve a lot of stress.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2008, 11:21:45 pm »
THAT is where you found Seabreze a place to stay?

::faints::

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2008, 11:36:07 pm »
That is the place.  She had a 1 bedroom, 1 bath house on 1 acre with a pond, fountain, fully fenced, heavy wooden gates, french doors and major stonework, soaring ceilings with redwood and slate walls, slate floors, stained glass windows, fireplace and a view to die for.  Her rent was $900.00 per month w/ a share of cost of $265.00.  There is also a studio cottage with a sleeping loft for guests.  She tried and tried to get herself kicked out and she did.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2008, 11:52:04 pm »
This is the vacation rental called Sanctuaire.  It rents for $325.00 per night with a 200 night per year occupancy rate, has satelight TV, high speed internet, spa, sleeps 8 and is getting a salt-water pool before the season starts.  It was originally built for a sauna in the master bath, now a locked room and a bedroom is being converted into a library.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2008, 12:50:32 am »
I want to be there, that sounds nice as hell. To chime in on what Aztecan said, if Seabreeze was overpaid, they will make her pay back what she owes. They may not cut her off completely but take x amount out of her check. I got an overpayment once and am still paying it back. But they only take 15 bucks out of mine. I will be done paying them back in October of this year.

Glad you are handing things over to Pam after she comes back from vacation. Now when can I come visit? ;)
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline md

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2008, 02:18:10 am »
You look very content, Michael.  Yes, try to get rid of the POA as soon as possible.  That should relieve a lot of stress.

Remember that you do not have to do anything to "get rid of the POA" - having a power of attorney authorizes you to do certain things, but it does not *oblige* you to do them.

You can walk away from the obligations that you have taken on any time you want to, and you don't need to ask anyone's permission to do so.

At the end of the day Seabreeze is *not* your problem and you are *not* responsible for her unless *you* choose to continue to *make* yourself responsible for her.

And, at the end of the day, if something bad happens to her it is *not* your fault.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2008, 06:42:53 pm »
The apartment building where we all live when I met Drop-a-Dime-Don and Ms. Seabreeze.  There is one other apartment building in town which takes people befor they become outdoor residents.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2008, 02:09:53 am »
I heard the Judge made a decision today...  Ms. Seabreeze was sentenced this afternoon, with time off for good behavior, eight months already served, she will be released on March 30th.  Her old friend Pam asked what will I do when she calls... Nothing, I have already done my share and more.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2008, 02:57:32 am »
  Her old friend Pam asked what will I do when she calls... Nothing, I have already done my share and more. 

Amen to that!!!!! And you should definitely be doing this.....

6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.