Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:00:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 341
Total: 342

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Blade Shave  (Read 12744 times)

Offline emsgib

Blade Shave
« on: August 19, 2010, 05:33:49 pm »
Hi,
I have had a bit of a search through the archives but cannot find anything that relates to my query, although I am sure somebody has asked a similar question.

My concern is this:

A few weeks ago I was in Croatia and decided to get a blade shave.  I sat down the barber put the shaving foam on my face and then used his razor to shave it off, it was one of the old fashioned kinds that fold up after use thus potentially not allowing air to get to blade?. I did see him rinse the blade for a few seconds at the end.  After the shave i realised that I hadn't seen him change the blade and so I questioned him.  In his broken English he showed me a pack of fresh blades and how to remove the old blade and put the new one in.  I asked him if he changed for every customer and he just said yes, yes, yes ( i don't think his english stretched my further).  There would have been about a 5 to 10 min gap between me and the previous client he shaved.

I didn't get a cut but there was some microtrauma i.e the usual shaving nicks.  I have read conflicting information on the web and I cannot determine if I was at risk at all for HIV.  I have read that the virus dies within a couple of minutes once out of its host and therfore my situation was a no risk, the other thing that I read was that when it comes to blood to blood contact within the environemnt it would need to be alot of blood to be transferred.

What are teh experts opiniosn, is this a risk, am i right that the virus woudl't have survived more than a couple of minutes once n the environment.  Have I put myself at risk or not?

I am just looking for some concrete advice and opinions based on good reasoning and facts.

Thanks so much

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Blade Shave
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 05:36:31 pm »
Even if you had gotten nicked with that shave it still wouldn't have been a risk for HIV. HIV is a fragile virus and not easy to transmit outside of unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse and the sharing of intraveneous needles.

It is not transmitted from razors, toilet seats, doorknobs, food, kissing, touching and other things people often worry about unnecessarily.

You need have no further concern about this recent incident.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline emsgib

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 05:46:43 pm »
Thanks so much for your quick response and great to hear that my situation was no risk.

Just so that I know for future situations.. is it true that HIV in blood will not surive for more than a couple of minutes once in the environment even if the blood hasn't dried?

Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 06:06:18 pm »
It becomes non-viable almost immediately when exposed to the air. Like I said, it's a very fragile virus.
Andy Velez

Offline emsgib

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 05:51:41 am »
Thanks Andy, I totally understand what you are saying and appreciate your reponse.

There is so much confusing information out there that actually getting the real facts can be quite difficult.  Thanks goodness for this website.

I live in the Middle East and the strict muslim culture unfortunately makes this topic quite taboo.  Amongst my friends here there has been much confusion about how it is and is not transmitted.  The sultan here insists that everybody get tested every 2 years in a hospital but there are no centres where knowlegable people can answer questions.

I have told my friends who all go to the barbers here (it is quite a traditional thing to do) what you have told me and the only question that they have raised with me is if the previous customer were to be cut and then the barber folded the straight razor thus not allowing much oxygen to get to the blood would the same rule apply i.e is very fragile and still would not survive after a coupel of minutes.

Thanks for your help, we are trying to educate ousrselves but as I said here in muscat there are no centres of experts that we can talk to.

Thanks Andy, I and my friends are very grateful for your informative responses.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 06:01:29 am »
HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions, therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 08:24:06 am »
em,

It's not just exposure to air that renders hiv unable to infect, it's also things like shaving foam or anything else that will change the pH level, and also temperature changes. There's absolutely no chance of being infected at the barber's, unless you're having unprotected anal intercourse with the barber. If you're going to have sex with your barber, make sure the insertive partner puts a condom on.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline emsgib

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 12:10:07 pm »
Thank you so much I am very grateful to have found this fantastic forum.

Offline emsgib

Any risk, quite random situation?
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 02:15:07 am »
Hi forum,

I had a very strange situation last night,  Could you just assess my risk for me and tell me what you think.

I went to the movies and before the film went in to the toilet, there didn't appear to be any blood etc in the toilet but I guess you never know.  Unfortunately, while I was peeing the belt from my cardigan dipped into the toilet (yuck) it didn't touch the water just the side of the bowl.  Then, somehow, while i was pulling up my underpants up the belt got stuck in them and came into contact with my vagina. 

So, my rather random question is this:

If the belt comes into contact with blood in the toilet, then comes into contact with my vagina can I get HIV? If not, why not?

Sorry for strange question but it is just bothering me.

THanks

Emma

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Any risk, quite random situation?
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 02:43:51 am »
HIV is spread through unprotected penetrative sex, sharing IV drug needles, and occasionally from mother to child during birth.
It is not spread through casual contact.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline emsgib

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 03:42:30 am »
So, just for complete clarification this is a totally NO RISK situation?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 05:28:03 am »
You must keep all your thoughts questions and comments in your original thread. This helps us follow your story and allows us to give you the most accurate advice.

If you cannot find your original thread, please click the red link I have posted above. Alternatively you can use the "Show own posts" link which appears in the uppermost left hand column on any forum page.

Further questions will not be answered unless you return to your original thread

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and familiarise yourself with the posting guidelines.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 07:53:41 am »
I've merged your threads here. In the future please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread.

As to your latest concern there was absolutely no risk whatsoever. HIV is a fragile virus and is not transmitted from environmental surfaces such as toilets, doorknobs, food, haircut nicks and other such daily circumstances.

Use condoms everytime for intercourse and you will be effectively protected. It really is that simple.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 08:35:24 am »
Em,

Are you the bearded lady or what? Because back in August you were worried about getting your beard shaved in Croatia. Now you're worrying about getting toilet water on your vagina.

What gives?

I know, you think this stuff is funny. I sense a ban in your near future.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline emsgib

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 04:24:17 pm »
My original post was on behalf of my husband so I apologise for the confusion.  I most certainly am not making fun of this site of HIV.  In August my husband and I both had a concern over his blade shave and so logged into the site.  I was not aware that the two seperate scenarios needed to be posted together and thought that as they were indeed seperate that was how I should post.

I find the tranmission modes of HIV quite confusing and that is why I posted with the present scenario, i thought that instead of going into a tail spin of what ifs.. it would simply be easier to post on the forum.

I apologise if you feel I was making fun or posting for my own entertainment, this most certainly was not the case.  I would not waste your valuable time with made up things that were not of genuine concern to me.  I am sorry that I gave you this impression.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 05:24:12 pm »
Thanks for your clarification of the postings.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 02:37:20 pm »
I was not aware that the two seperate scenarios needed to be posted together and thought that as they were indeed seperate that was how I should post.

If you'd bothered to read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you would have known that you're only allowed to have one thread in this forum.

Not only that, but if you had read the Welcome Thread you would have seen the link to the Transmission Lesson and you would have had all the transmission information you need.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline emsgib

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 07:06:35 am »
I have another concern, I really don't know why HIV bothers me so very much but it does.  I wish it didn't.  i am a generally sane mother of 2 who lives a very normal life but for some strange reason i do fear HIV and I do know that this certainly isn't normal.  My husband thinks I am overreacting.  We live in a muslim country where HIV is a fairly taboo subject still and so there is nobody here i can talk to.

The situation is below, thank you for your time:

Just a quick exposure question.... My husband recently went to the beer fest in Munich.  He was with a bunch of friends and when they were doing a 'cheers' unfortunately and also quite randomly one of his friends got a cut to the back of his head with a broken glass (no idea how that happened!!).

My husband then helped his friend, who was bleeding a lot, before the ambulance came as he needed stitches.  My husband got blood on him. he is pretty certain that it was not in a mucous membrane but he had quite a few beers by this stage so who knows!

My question is, assuming that his friend is HIV how likely would it be that he was infected from this exposure?  He had no cuts himself at all but may/may not have had mucous membrane expusure but if he had it would have been very little.

Thanks

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 07:12:17 am »
I have another concern, I really don't know why HIV bothers me so very much but it does.  I wish it didn't.  i am a generally sane mother of 2 who lives a very normal life but for some strange reason i do fear HIV and I do know that this certainly isn't normal.  My husband thinks I am overreacting.  We live in a muslim country where HIV is a fairly taboo subject still and so there is nobody here i can talk to.

The situation is below, thank you for your time:

Just a quick exposure question.... My husband recently went to the beer fest in Munich.  He was with a bunch of friends and when they were doing a 'cheers' unfortunately and also quite randomly one of his friends got a cut to the back of his head with a broken glass (no idea how that happened!!).

My husband then helped his friend, who was bleeding a lot, before the ambulance came as he needed stitches.  My husband got blood on him. he is pretty certain that it was not in a mucous membrane but he had quite a few beers by this stage so who knows!

My question is, assuming that his friend is HIV how likely would it be that he was infected from this exposure?  He had no cuts himself at all but may/may not have had mucous membrane expusure but if he had it would have been very little.

Thanks

This is not a risk for HIV transmission. We have explained to you how HIV is transmitted.

If you had read the Welcome Thread as you've been asked to you'd know that posting about non risk situations is not permitted.

So consider yourself warned. If you persist with this line of questioning you will be handed a 28 day time out from the forums.

MtD

Offline emsgib

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 10:03:50 am »
Thank you, I am genuinely sorry for my posts.  I did read the welcome thread but then I also read that if a healthcare worker was in a similar situation to my husband then they would be tested as it is a risky situation.  So I got confused.

As I said I live in a Muslim country where there are no sexual health centres for education or questions.  The subject is not one that is dicussed anywhere in Saudi very freely.  So I thought that rather than read ridiculous things all over the internet it would be best to come to a site where the moderators are all very well educated about the subject.

Thank you once again for your response I really hope you can appreciate that it is difficult to get info where I am from.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 11:55:55 am »
em,

We are real with you and I do wish you'd be real with us. Since when is the UK a Muslim country? Are you trying to tell us you live in Bradford? (I don't know exactly where you are, I just know you're in the UK. I'm in the Isle of Man.)

I also know that either you or your husband created a new account yesterday evening at 7:45 with the user name joepinn. I approved the account just on the off chance that it WAS him and not you. I see the account has not been activated - so I guess that's why you've posted for him again. You need to be aware that we take multiple accounts seriously here - you cannot have more than one account. One account, one person.

I suggest you get in touch with your local GUM clinic. Any decent sized hospital will have one. Make an appointment to sit down and discuss your fears face-to-face with someone who knows what they're talking about and who will not pass any judgement on you or your husband.

They may be able to refer you on to a suitable counsellor in your area who can help you work through your hiv fears. If you are claiming to live in a Muslim country because you are Muslim yourself, they should be able to put you in touch with a culturally appropriate counsellor.

Because once again, you are worrying over nothing.

If your husband also had a deep, fresh, bleeding cut say, on the palm of his hand, when he helped his mate and got his mate's blood directly into that fresh cut, there might be a small concern. But that wasn't the case and you know it. He had no cuts. The skin is a very effective barrier against hiv infection.

As for mucus membranes, forget it. Unless your husband was rubbing his face into the back of his mate's head while he was bleeding... sounds far-fetched, eh? Well, so is this idea that your husband would have become infected while helping his mate.

Please, get yourself some counselling. You don't have to live your life in constant fear of becoming hiv positive.

Ann

edited for spelling
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 12:01:51 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline emsgib

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 04:19:33 pm »
Ann, I am sincerely sorry for having offended you so much.  I am not living my life in constant fear of contracting HIV, in fact I live a fairly normal life with my husband and children.  It is simply that on a few occassions I have been confused about possible transmission.

Let me state that I have no idea about a second account, please could you explain to me why you think I have done this?  When I created this account i gave my one and only email address that I have.  I do not have multiple emails and have not created multiple accounts.  As far as my living arrangements go I have not lived in the UK for 10 yearrs.  I have however, lived in New Zealand, then moved to Musat, Oman where I lived for 3 years and I am now currently in Saudia Arabia.  I would have absolutely no reason to lie to you.  I do however, visit the UK to see my parents, which I am currently doing until Tuesday when I will return home to the Middle East.  Other than a few weeks a year I am not in the UK. I have no idea what a GUM clinic is as I don't live in the UK, I am not Muslim but living as an expat abroad.  If you have ever spent time in the Middle East you woud be aware exactly what is is like to seek out information on such a controversial subject for them.  If you would like me to provide you with verifiable information to prove these facts to you I am more than happy to do so privately.  I am not trying to waste your time but clearly you feel that I am.

I do live in a muslim country, its a fact.  Muscat and Saudia Arabia are muslim countries, I have no idea why you think I live in the UK, I don't. This is not correct.

As I said I am happy to give you any verifiable information that you want to prove that I am absolutely telling the truth.  I came on here to find answers, nothing more.  I have told you the  truth about my concerns and my living arrangement so therefore I also am being real with you.  I thought this would be a non judging website but feel that you are questioning things that I have told only the truth about.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:43:53 pm by emsgib »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 06:04:39 pm »
em,

As an administrator on this site, I can see your IP address. Your IP address originates from the Internet Service Provider through which your computer is connected. I can see that you are definitely posting from a computer based somewhere in the UK, but not exactly where.

The reason your honesty came into question is because you first posted posing as a man. Then you came in and posted as a woman. We have had many people over the years wasting our time by pretending to be something or someone they are not, or creating multiple accounts and posing as several different people. These people usually have the same type of outlandish no-risks as you have had, so I hope you can forgive me for being wary and suspicious of you.

Someone definitely created an account on the computer you are posting from yesterday evening at 7:45, two minutes after you had logged out of your account. Normally I would have simply rejected such an account, but as it was under a man's name (joepinn), I hoped that your husband had decided to ask questions for himself, and approved the account. As you are denying its existence, I'll delete it.

A GUM clinic is a genito-urinary medicine clinic in the UK. That is where you go for hiv risk-assessment and  testing. You still have time to go to one tomorrow as many hold walk-in clinics.

But the bottom line is that neither you nor your husband need to be tested. Neither of you have had a risk for hiv infection. It simply is not transmitted in the easy ways you're imagining.

When you get home, I urge you to find a counsellor you can talk with about your hiv fears. You yourself acknowledge they're not normal and they're not healthy either. Most Middle Eastern countries have ex-pat organisations that cater to the needs of Westerners living in that country. I suggest you seek one out They may be able to point you in the right direction of another ex-pat who is a therapist or counsellor.

Something is driving your irrational fear of hiv (and it likely has nothing to do with hiv itself) and the sooner you get to the bottom of it, the better. Because you will not be permitted to use this forum to work those feelings out every time you or someone you love has what you perceive to be a risk. You need to do that face to face with a trained professional.

Good luck. I hope you get the help you need before this spirals out of control. I've seen it happen before and you seem to be starting down that slippery slope.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline emsgib

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 03:04:39 pm »
Thanks for your response Ann.  After reading your message last night I checked with my husband and he said that he had tried to create an account but didn't get a verification email and so asked me to post for him.  He was only going to post to ease my mind, it is not something that ever crosses his mind.  Sorry I hadn't known this and sorry for the confusion.

I sincerely apologise for coming across as a time waster, it was never my intention, my concerns were genuine to me at the time but on looking back at the postings I can genuinely see your issues with them.

I whole heartedly take on board your comments,  Like I said usually I am a pretty level person but have the odd moment of irrationality.  I agree that my issue with HIV more than likely has nothing to do with HIV itself and will do my best to seek out a counsellor when I get back to the Middle East.  Being an expat can, at times, be quite difficult as the services that would be provided openly in the western world are not provided there.

Thank you for your advice and opinions and I wish you well for the future.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 05:19:15 pm »
Emma,

Thank you.

I'm an ex-pat myself and even coming from the US to the Isle of Man was a huge culture shock. I can only imagine how difficult it might be at times for you living in such a vastly different culture as the Middle East.

Could it be that these mandatory hiv tests the Sultan insist on are what are driving your irrational fears? It's quite understandable to fear being deported in such humiliating circumstances, but you cannot allow that fear to override your common sense and intelligence.

As long as neither you nor your husband are having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse with people outside your marriage, then you have absolutely no reason to worry about being infected with hiv. It's that simple.

Good luck with finding someone you can talk this over with in depth back home.

Safe travels,
Ann

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 05:34:10 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline emsgib

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 12:47:27 pm »
Once again thanks Ann, I have absolutely no idea what on earth is driving this irrational fear but do intend to figure it out.  We are home now and I can now look into findin gsomebody to talk to .  Thanks alot for yur help.

:)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 01:13:20 pm »
Emma, you're welcome, and good luck.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline emsgib

Re: Blade - For Ann
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 04:16:28 am »
Hi Ann,

Firstly I just wanted to tell you I have booked an appt with a counsellor for Monday.  The local hospital was able to recommend a western counsellor so I am looking forward to that, thank you for giving me the encouragement to seek help.

I am screaming at myself (and really embarrased) for writing to you again but I trust you and trust your responses.  I just wanted to add something to the situation my hubby had a fresh graze on his leg when teh incident occured and he picked his bleeding friend up off the floor.  My paranoid mind has gone into over drive with a what if situation i.e what if as he was picking him up off the floor his mates cut head rubbed against his graze!!!

Ok, so what my rational mind thinks is that this is not a risk as it was not a deep open wound (my husbands) and in order for there to be any risk his mates cut would literally have had to be pouring into his.  Am I right?  Am i overreacting?  And even his his bleeding head had rubbed against his cut (which is probaby unlikely) there woudl be no risk.

I am so sorry to message you againand have decided that once you respond I am putting myself on a ban from the internet until I see the counsellor. I also intend to print out this post so that she can see exactly where I am at.  I would just like your opinion so that I can spare myself and my family my anxiety.

Thanks so much and I am eally sorry to bother you again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2010, 10:59:09 am »
Emma,

Yes, you are overreacting again. Hiv can only infect a very few, very specific types of cells and these cells are not found on the surface of the skin, not even when there is a graze or superficial cut present.

If hiv were as easily transmitted as you imagine, everyone would have it by now. It remains such a taboo subject primarily because it is sexually transmitted instead of being easily transmitted in day to day contact.

I wish you good luck with your counsellor and I hope you two are a good fit. And well done for getting that taken care of so quickly. Please stick with it.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline emsgib

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2010, 11:34:35 am »
Thank Ann, my self imposed internet ban is now on.  Thanks so much for your patience and help, I really appreciate it  :)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2010, 11:39:21 am »
Emma,

You're welcome. Au revoir!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline emsgib

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2010, 09:44:53 am »
I know that I am going to get a time out for coming back on again and to be honest it will probably be for the best.

I am so extemely annoyed with myself.  I have seen the therapist a couple of times but I think it will be a long road ahead!!

Before you give the much deserved time out please please just answer one question for me that is going around and around in my head ( I have searched your archives extensively over the last week and cannot find an answer).  IF my husband did get HIV + blood on his graze which he did NOT wash off until the next morning would this put him at any more of a risk due to the blood being on his graze for a prolonged period of time?

I KNOW this is a what if!  I KNOW this is not rational but please before you give me a time out answer this for me.  This final answer, the time out and my therpist will hopefully enable to leave this behind because although my intentions are there for some reason I just can't :(

Sorry.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2010, 01:34:15 pm »
Em, HIV is a fragile virus. It would not remain in a viably infectious form in that situation, much less over the kind of extended period of your latest what if.

And yes, I am now giving you that long discussed Time Out for 28 days. Don't make the mistake of trying to get around it by creating a new name here. That will get spotted right off and will get you permanently banned from the site.

Work with your therapist about your issues because life is too short in the best of circumstances to be spent worrying unnecesarily.

Good luck with getting your HIV worries cleared up.   
Andy Velez

Offline emsgib

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 06:16:58 am »
Hi guys,

I have a very quick question...... it wont turn into a long convulated session on what if's bouncing back and forth I just want to make sure I am right.  Before I ask though I just want to say that I am doing really well, my anxiety is down to almost non existent, I have had counselling and have turned my life around a bit to focusing on my lovely family.  I am doing yoga and meditation and really am truly happy so thanks so much for all your support and the push in the direction that was needed.

As part of my therapy and wellness session I have done some acupuncture.  I just want to check that this is not something that could even be considered a risk?  What I think is...... it is not a hollow bore needle so therefore even if blood was present on the needle from a previous patient it wouldn't matter as it is would be in the class of environmental transmission.  The only reason why I question is because I read a while back on the CDC website that it is possible and 1 case was reported.

I assure you I am not freaking out over this at all, I am looking at it totally logically and just want to know if I am right.  Like I said this wont turn into a what if's being fired back at you.  I am in a good space now :)

Thanls heaps

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2011, 06:51:22 am »
em,

No, you're not going to get hiv from acupuncture needles.

I suggest you discuss the needles with your acupuncture practitioner. Any reputable one will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Most practitioners today use disposable needles.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline emsgib

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2011, 09:27:11 am »
Thanks heaps Ann, I just wanted to come and ask the question here so that I didn't get carried away on an irrational train of thought.  I appreciate your response.  :)

Offline emsgib

Help please
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 07:26:05 am »
Ann,

I am hoping that you will take pity on me!!!  I have no idea why I am in such a fear of HIV, it is utterly ridiculous and was never something that I would have obsessed about before, it has just been this last year that my mind has gone slightly crazy and googling like a mad woman!!

I would like to ask 2 things of you please could you ban me from this site, I think for my mental health it is the best thing.  Coming on here posting about stuff and taking up your time is just a nonsense and its also totally unhealthy for me.  Its gone too far, I was doing ok for a whilebut am regressing.

Before you do ban me though please please please could you explain to me why acupuncture is not a risk?  I understand that HIV does not survive well in the environment and so it makes sense that acupuncture would not be a risk but what I don't understnand is why the CDC has a documented case for it.  I mean if HIV inactives almost immediately when outside the body how could this be?

I know I will be banned and it is for the best but please please answer this final question for me so that I can have some peace of mind.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 08:02:35 am »
ems,

As I have already told you, any reputable acupuncturist will use disposable needles and will also be happy to answer any questions you may have. It's obvious you are not going to take our word for anything, but I hope you can trust your acupuncturist enough to discuss your concerns with him or her.

And I'll gladly give you that time out for which you are begging. We aim to please. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline emsgib

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2012, 01:33:39 pm »
Hi, its been a while. I have undergone CBT and am taking prozac but today I am having a bit of a wobble.  I don't know why but this situation made me uncomfortable and I am looking for advice.

I was out with friends last night and had a few drinks and for some strange reason this guy completely latched on to me, he wouldn't leave me alone and he was really drunk.  I avoided him for most of the night but just before I left he came up and shoved his fingers in my mouth.  It really unsettled me.

I am not going to get into this in a major way amd to be honest the whole ting just weirded  me out but my OCD came back slightly and I found myself doinf the what if's, which I know is not healthy.

So, I just want to ask you guys one question and that is:

IF he had any cuts or blood on his hands when he randomly shoved them in my mouth and grabbed my tongue!!!!  would this be a hiv risk.  Blood in mouth.

I would appreciate a risk assesment and a brief explanation as to why this is not a risk.

I do not intend to get back on the HIV rollercoaster but just want a risk assesment based on scienfitic logic and fact.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2012, 03:36:55 pm »
Of course this is not a risk. Theoretically if you bit off the end of his finger and greedily lapped up the blood I can potentially see a health hazard - though even then a vanishingly rare one that would get you front page news across the world as the very first documented case like that.

But that didn't happen. You already know that saliva renders HIV inactive. You already know that the receptor sells to which HIV attaches are not found in any significant amount anywhere on the body besides the vagina, the entrance of the penis,  and the semi-permeable walls inside the anus.

Two final things.

A) Re-Read your thread, why don't you? We have patiently explained the science that applies not only to THIS situation, but to just about any other situation you can imagine. Why do you insist that we repeat ourselves yet again?

B) Coming back to this forum is working against your therapy. I hope you can talk to your therapist about this lapse and s/he can offer you means -besides using this forum - to cope with similar instances in your life. This forum is part of your sickness, and it's time to bid it farewell.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.