Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:44:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 254
Total: 255

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: More banner ads coming  (Read 8646 times)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
More banner ads coming
« on: July 07, 2006, 12:01:20 pm »

We've had our first pharma company pony up for placing ads on AIDSmeds, so we're having to find as much placement spots as we can on the site for various ad sizes.  You'll notice a new "skyscraper" ad in the left column of the forums.  We'll be adding various ad sizes to other content areas of the site in the coming days.  Starting on the 15th, you'll all start seeing Kaletra ads on the site.

I know for many of you this will be a big disappointment, but I hope others will understand the few choices we have in order to keep this site economically viable (and even help us by clicking on their ads!).  Everything on the site is free to our visitors, and we'll never change that.  And unlike sites based in Europe, we can't really look to our government for support.

Feel free to give us an earfull in this thread.  I'll make sure the higher-ups hear the feedback.  However, the Kaletra campaign is a done deal, so your comments might only affect future ad placements.

Thanks,

Peter

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
Re: More banner ads coming
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 12:12:54 pm »
I think we all understand that the bills have to be paid Peter. I haven't found the ads too terribly intrusive.
If that is what it takes to keep our community alive, then I have no problem with it.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 12:23:51 pm »
I don't see the ads anyway, so it doesn't concern me.

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 02:01:17 pm »
Hey can I rent out my space- say a banner under this message or where  taz is?
Cheers
Johnny- hearing realistate in the cyber world is still strong!
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 02:02:05 pm »
Hey, at least it's my brand!  ;D

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 02:21:33 pm »
Starting on the 15th, you'll all start seeing Kaletra ads on the site.

Peter,

I won't certainly blame you for this but really wondering why a pharma company wants to make ads for pills such as Kaletra. Indeed the decison for an individual depends upon his doctor first as he's the one prescribing it. Of course an individual can argue with his doc he would prefer another for different reasons ( side effects,etc..) but the doc has somewhat the last word, and the individual too based on several factors that has nothing to do with the name of the pills or companies who are producing them. They should sell their salads to the docs...not to us. We don't ask for Kaletra, Sustiva like ordering a Big Mac.  :o

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline Dennis

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 03:34:44 pm »
Yes, may have 2 Truvada, 2 Reyataz, and a side of Norvir please?  Can I have that super sized?

Peter,

I won't certainly blame you for this but really wondering why a pharma company wants to make ads for pills such as Kaletra. Indeed the decison for an individual depends upon his doctor first as he's the one prescribing it. Of course an individual can argue with his doc he would prefer another for different reasons ( side effects,etc..) but the doc has somewhat the last word, and the individual too based on several factors that has nothing to do with the name of the pills or companies who are producing them. They should sell their salads to the docs...not to us. We don't ask for Kaletra, Sustiva like ordering a Big Mac.  :o

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 03:45:19 pm »

And unlike sites based in Europe, we can't really look to our government for support.

Just keep Uncle Sam out of here.  I don't want him to have a damn thing to do with us,  Or that matter, MA BELL (read PHARMA) but she's the lesser of 2 evils.

robert

(some of you won't remember but back in the days before there were the "baby bells" there was MA BELL who took the heat for everyone.)

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 03:51:25 pm »
I don't mind the adds so much as long as they aren't pop-up adds.

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 04:45:06 pm »
Meh.  :-\

It's cool. But yeah, popups = annoying. There was also a forum for a game that I visited that had ads inbetween posts on threads.
THAT was annoying, too.

So as long as they stay away from that stuff, it's cool.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 05:34:10 pm »
Capitalism Rules.

We trust your judgement, and thank you for being generous enough to let us give feedback.

In Love and Trust.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 05:46:58 pm »
So long as the content of the forums (including the lessons) is unaffected, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I remember a few times in the 90s when I was doing outreach, and fundraising was the worst part of it. Nothing like taking a check from the producer of a benefit for the outreach program, knowing that the benefit (circuit party) was at least partially responsible for new infections.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 08:33:36 pm »
Honey, I'd put a banner outside my apartment if I thought it would pay the rent!   I don't think any of us have a problem with it, we know you have to pay the bills.

But I'm with Canuck....I never have quite understood the pharma ads for HIV meds....and I dislike that sometimes they show an unrealistic snapshot of life with AIDS.   

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Oscar

• 20 Years POZ
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 10:36:30 pm »
Don't visitors to the forum have to actually click on the ad for the site to make $? If so I don't mind clickn' on a few everyday.

Dan

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 11:11:14 pm »
time to make my plug

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 06:07:21 am »
Honey, I'd put a banner outside my apartment if I thought it would pay the rent!  
//snip//

Alan

Now there's an idea! :D

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 12:43:40 pm »
Well let's hope them pharma people are dumb-ass Internet marketeers, people don't click ads on the left very much (well, hardly ever). So I hope's they's paying for placement not per click.

Not that I'm bothered really. I just have them blocked.

Advertising of prescription medicines is, of couse and quite rightly, illegal in the UK.

- matt "Supersize my Sustiva" the newt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Shawn Decker

• "Gee, Shawn!"
    • MY PET VIRUS
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 02:51:29 pm »
So long as the people in the ads are prettier than me, I'm fine with it.
Shawn

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 05:36:22 pm »
Turns out we don't need to put the left-column ad in the forums just yet.  We've added a right-column ad to our home page, which will give us enough impressions of these "skyscraper" ads.  Besides, the soon-to-lauch Kaletra skyscraper ad has stuff that pops out to it's left side when you pass your mouse over it's text bullets, and that won't work in the left column of this page.  I've vetoed putting it in a new right column in the forums, since that would squeeze the main content area of the forums, making everyone scroll more (yuck!).

Peter

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 08:31:14 pm »
Maybe it will bring down the price of my first drug of "no choice" ;D

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 08:51:51 pm »
Peter...I have tunnel vision anyway.  I only see what I want to see (so they tell me) and it must be true.
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2006, 11:49:44 am »
They should sell their salads to the docs...not to us.

I guess they are already doing that and are not satisfied... so they now target us. It is like those ads targeted at kids so that they pester their parents enough for them to give in...

Having said that, thanks for letting us know. I don't mind the ads as long as they are not popups or popunders. Since you are not helped in anyway by the regime that presently governs your country ::) I will happily click on the banners from time to time. You have the best HIV related website I've ever seen and many a subsidised (or not) European one could follow your example.

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.