Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:48:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 344
Total: 344

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Flu/cold and now pneumonia  (Read 14117 times)

Offline OakMax1

Flu/cold and now pneumonia
« on: January 26, 2008, 10:40:32 pm »
I recently got sick with the flu/cold which turn into pneumonia in my lower right lung.  I have not  being feeling well since getting over the cold/flu.  I am still suffering with lower back pain and lack of energy.  I am scared and have visited my doctor and he said it going to take some time to get better.  I am worried and hope that this doesn't go any further.  My weight has dropped and everyone making comments about it.   Any suggestions on what I should do beside just resting....  Can anyone tell me something I can do to get to back feeling back normal.   I haven't posted in a while and was wondering has anyone experience something like this.....

Anybody!
Go with it and KEEP MOVIN!  Life is good today and I am glad to be here

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
Re: Flu/cold and now pneumonia
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 09:35:04 am »
Everyone I've talked to that had pneumonia, positive or negative, has touched on how long it took to get better and how much more sleep they had to have.  Just recently one of my negative friends from work, a human dynamo whose energy level has always been pretty astonishing, took three weeks off to get over a case of it. 

I had two relapses and, when I got out of the hospital, would go to bed at 8PM, get up at 6:30 and have a two hour nap in the morning and a two hour nap in the afternoon.  And that was on good days.  It took 3 weeks to do without the morning nap.

Please be patient and take care of yourself!

Assurbanipal

5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 12:48:11 pm »
Oak,
There are some nasty respiratory bugs going around this winter.  My ex, who was dx + with PCP four years ago, has been coughing and wheezing for four weeks now.  X-rays showed clear lungs, but breathing was still labored.  Humiidfying his condo, douching his sinuses twice daily, and even adding a small humidifier under his desk at work gave him a lot of relief, though.  Hell, I started humidifying the house after adopting a couple orchids [is that too Gay or what?], and my sinuses are much happier than they had been!  The role of water in all of our systems should not be underestimated.

Rest.  Stay hydrated with warm drinks and without caffeine, and keep your environment moist.  It'll do your body good, even if you're not a mushroom!

Namaste,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 06:13:44 pm »
I agree with David about keeping moisture in the environment and staying hydrated.  Even if you don't feel like eating, please make sure you're drinking tons of fluids to get the buggers out of your body.  Just rest, and rest and more rest.  It takes awhile to get over this.  Be as patient as you can be. Oh, and rest. ;)
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 11:20:08 pm »
I thought I better come back and check and I am so grateful to all your answers.  I see that it takes a lot of rest and I've been home all weekend leaving the house once yesterday dressing warm and tonight to get a bit to eat.  I still not feeling back to normal self and I hope and pray that whenever it goes away soon.  I tired and worried but have faith that soon it will be over if I take care of myself.

I am student three times a week in the evening and work during the day, so I do have a very busy schedule. I have tried to slow down, way down but it seems a little impossible.   I am scared and a little nervous that what I am going through is not going to let up right now.  I just want to say thank you all for your replies and I do have a humidifier that I will be using tonight.  My nose is always stop up when I wake in the morning, which takes me a minute to get clear after waking. 

Rest is the key and that what I am trying to do... rest as much as I can even taking 30 minutes nap at work.  This has taken a toll on me and I have never been sick like this in three year and the first time I've gotten pneumonia before, so you can only imagine what I am ex perincing.   

Cross your fingers and toes that I get better and soon... thanks All.. Oakmax

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 07:54:40 am »
Hello,

Only had pneumonia once. It knocked the hell out of me. It was also situated in the bottom right lung.

I was coughing so much, I think it almost was causing to give myself a hernia !! Extreme chest pain and ache. Also had the lower back pain, and my energy levels completely zapped. ( once again from coughing so much. About the only thing I can remember was plenty of bed rest, and still making sure to eat and stay hydrated.

What medications does the doctor currently have you on? I would be staying in contact with my doctor, and finding out what other measures can be taken, to help you get over this.

Take care----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 08:02:54 am »

I am student three times a week in the evening and work during the day, so I do have a very busy schedule. I have tried to slow down, way down but it seems a little impossible.   I am scared and a little nervous that what I am going through is not going to let up right now.  I just want to say thank you all for your replies and I do have a humidifier that I will be using tonight.  My nose is always stop up when I wake in the morning, which takes me a minute to get clear after waking. 

I only just read your second reply. It does sound like you have a busy schedule, and as much as you don't want to hear it, the fact is, sometimes we just got to slow down a little bit. I hope you get feeling better soon, but do try to make arrangements, where you can take some time off. It's much better to try to arrange time off, than having forced time off by being hospitalised. So be careful. I know how rough it is.

Take care---Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline ubotts

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 09:48:23 am »
I had pneumonia last winter, and I thought this is it...

Its hard as hell to muster up any energy...since its all zapped by the pneumonia..
But thats normal, even for peeps without hiv..

You will come though this and It may take awhile, like it did for me,
so stay hydrated, eat what you can , and just listen to your doctors..

You will be fine...it just takes awhile...so dont rush it.. ;) ok my friend...
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 09:48:06 pm »
Wow, I can believe all the support I've gotten from you all, THANK YOU!!! makes me feel better.   It hard doing this on my own... most of my friends could care less, especially the ones I call friends. When you got friends like mine who need them, make me angry and mad!  I haven't told my family about my status, which I should consider doing.  But it's hard not knowing how they will act being African American and coming from a church going family, first thing they would say, it God raft on Gays and I told you so!  Sometime I just want to break down and bawl!!!  but I am not ready to do that yet!!!!!!!

I am trying to slow down by coming straight home and laying down and resting when not going to class.... Hey J.R.E my doctor gave me a strong antibiotic zamathromax.....something like that for five days and it last for 8-10 days in your system... and now he has me on doxycycline for 10 days- 2 a day....

Thank you all for you kind support and trust me, I need it right now.    I am drinking lots of water and eating everything in site... my weight dropped by 9-10lbs and when I lose weight, it shows in my face.... people are getting on my nerves by keep saying "you lost weight".... bummer!  I am so sick of hearing that I could scream and all I want to tell them is get F--k away from me. It hard when all you can do is, say I know. 

It's cold and raining a lot in Northern Calif/SF which is not helping and I try to keep warm...   I will keep you all abreast of what going on with me..... as try to beat this and return to my normal self again.... Again, thanks for being here for me, trust me you all just don't know how much I really appreciate it . ....... I can always depend on this site for support.....

THANKS A BUNCH YOU ALL!!!!

Oakmax

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 12:30:55 am »
Dear OakMax,

I am so sorry to hear that you are not feeling well.  I agree with the others who have posted here that you should follow your doctor's orders, take your medicine, drink lots of fluids, eat, and get plenty of rest. 

I understand the cultural thing with family.  I hope at least one of your friends takes note and checks on you.  Believe me, it only takes one good friend.

You WILL pull through and get back to your regular self.

HUGS!!
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 07:50:33 am »

Hey J.R.E my doctor gave me a strong antibiotic zamathromax.....something like that for five days and it last for 8-10 days in your system... and now he has me on doxycycline for 10 days- 2 a day....

It was most likely  Zithromax. I was on that drug for quite a while back in 2003-2004

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/zithromaxsusp_ids.htm

Take care of yourself-----Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline achim-martin

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 08:59:05 am »
The fact your face reflects your weight loss shows that your body is taking proteins from your muscles and other sources within your body in order to build up an army against those pneumonia bacterias and/or the virusloads.  So in order to stop that I would recommend protein drinks at least once or twice a day for three to four weeks, than reduced a few months more to build up again.
Also, take zinc (50mg a day) This helps the cd4 counts measurably. Besides some natural vitamins like C of course.

Regarding the moisture in room air, yes that is certainly a fine idea. Studies though have shown, that most air-moisturizeres in rooms are full of germs. You need to clean them thoroughly every other day to make sure you don't get ill by them.

And last but not least, sleep and maybe some sun. (for example those light lamps that immitate natural sun light, in case you live in an area, where there is winter right now)

These "rules" are simple and easy to follow.  Good luck to you!

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 08:16:09 pm »
Hello Achim-Martin,

Thanks for the sound advise.... how you know it I started taking the protein drink about two days ago and it appear that the face is returning.  Everyone I am feeling much better but I know I am not out of the woods.  I have slow down a lot and come home and get in the bed no LATE nights and plenty of rest is a must.  I will start cleaning my humidifier every day before turning it own... I surely don't want to go back.  I am taking more Vitamin C and more b6 and b12 along with my normal vitamins and meds.  It was sunny here today and I had lunch with a friend but wrapped up... it was still somewhat cold.   Wrapping up and heading to class... and coming right home... I don't stay the entire time for the last two weeks... two hours max.... home in bed by 9pm.   REST REST REST!!!!

I am getting there, but I am not as nervous and trouble as I a few weeks ago....  It a slow process and I working to get back!   Thanks everyone for your support ...will keep you all posted!!!

Oakmax1

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 11:16:13 pm »
Hey Oak, glad to hear you're on the mend.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline achim-martin

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 07:22:03 am »
Thats great news... and don't forget the zinc - another proven supplement for infections and hiv.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 09:56:02 am »
I was hospitalized with pneumonia for about month days back 98'  and after that I was diagnosed with BOOP.   I was used to doing a lot of intense physical activity, plus I was teaching K-3rd graders. What helped me regain some of my strength was taking a gentle yoga class that really focused on breathing (pranayama).  It also helped me be more mindful of my energy. It helped me recognize the signs before I started getting fatigued so that I didn't push myself to exhaustion.

peace,
Sharkie
(scuba diving also helps, but that's a different story)

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 03:12:55 pm »
 Wrapping up and heading to class... and coming right home... I don't stay the entire time for the last two weeks... two hours max.... home in bed by 9pm.   REST REST REST!!!!

I am getting there, but I am not as nervous and trouble as I a few weeks ago....  It a slow process and I working to get back!   Thanks everyone for your support ...will keep you all posted!!!

Oakmax1

There you go !!... Just continue to get better...

Take care----Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline DAF

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 01:41:47 pm »
Sorry to hear you aren't felling well. I fortunately I haven't got pemonia. If you are  not feeling well the thing that made the difference for me was that I got rehydrated by drinking diet soda and juice. Since I am type I diabetic on top of all of this. It goes without saying to get a good nights sleep and extra if your body seems to need it. try to get in some exercise even if it is only going up and down stairs in your house.

I hope that this helps you and I will be keeping you in my thoughts.

DAF
No disease on the face of the planet has been 100% fatal

Offline 1 RWR 1

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 11:15:02 am »
I do not get chest things but went to a Christmas play at a friends school and got fever congestion for 6 weeks. Doctors had me on copd meds- antibiotic.  got better came to my Moms and got it again.  I am trying to stay out of the cold weather.   This site helps with the loneliness since my Mom is at Her boyfriends.
5/25/2006 tcells 61vl 2.5 million-3%                       11/30/2007 tcells 169 vl<50-10%

Offline achim-martin

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 11:31:27 am »
For people who get infected easily:  to prevent continious infections there are some products out there, that not only desinfect your hands from bacteria, but also kill most viruses as well. A runny nose doesn't come from bacteria... So you ought to look for products that are not just based on alcohol but the "real" stuff.

My infected lover and I, we use that for several years now each time we left a supermarket or when we reach home. it's amazing what one can do in order to have almost no infections...
Touching plastic handles or shaking hands are risky, but of course we cannot and we don't want to avoid social interactions. Having one of those liquids mentioned above to get rid of that helps...

Offline 1 RWR 1

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 03:33:57 pm »
Yes Thanks i carry a Purcell in my pocket and one between the seats of the autos.  I even hold my breath when someone sneezes at the store until i can get out of the area
5/25/2006 tcells 61vl 2.5 million-3%                       11/30/2007 tcells 169 vl<50-10%

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 01:46:22 am »
Hey Everyone,

Thought I let you all know I am doing much better.  Strength is coming but I still know that I was sick, it still lingering....  Still a little raspy in my throat like I trying clear something stuck in the back.... but the fever gone and I am back at work and school...but taking it real easy...for sure.....

I took someone advice about the protein shake and that help a lot to put the weight back on.... thank you!!!!
I am not back up to full ROCK and READY to ROLL...still a little tired. but I am doing much better. My doctor said that it going to take a few weeks before I start feeling better. Also check this out the strangest thing happen...  I did my usual test and my last CD4 was at 492 two months ago, went last week and would you believe my CD4 just 33% to 733... I could not believe it...that made me FEEL real good....not sure why... I was wonder since I stop smoking grass,if that had something to do with.... but I was SHOCKED!!!!!

Just want everyone to know that without you all and this site.... I would have been in the dump!  I Love this site for all that it has to offer and it's a lot!!!  Thanks you all so much..... If anyone can shed some light on the sudden raise in my CD4...explain.    Oakmax1

Offline achim-martin

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 04:50:12 pm »
That sounds wonderful!  In order to find out what triggered the increase you ought to know the CD8 figures and/or the ratio between those two figures as well though.
Little infects can activate bodies immunefunctions sometime. For example have more people cancer, that never have any colds or flues over the years...

Protein is necessary to build up a virus but also cd4 cells. Zinc is a vital factor that can increase cd4 cells quite a bit, too.   

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.