Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:07:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 168
Total: 168

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: This was in the Toronto Star about stigma  (Read 5659 times)

Offline weasel

Re: This was in the Toronto Star about stigma
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 08:26:26 am »

Hi   James ,

So why did this woman not spend a few minutes and
      tell her partners she was HIV POZ ?

I will have to ASSUME   those guys would not have objected .  When
      having sex that lasts in one instance  62 seconds you're just a horn dog  :o

" There is no allegation that she was maliciously trying to transmit HIV. "

Well now ........................   If you got the bug you gotta tell !

Weasel

P.S.  Not to offend anyone , But whores that do not tell are just wrong  >:(
             I hope she does not end up locked up , But she is not a good person .

" Live and let Live "

Offline james3000

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 08:50:36 am »
Here in Canada the supreme court of Canada has decided that if you have an undetectable Viral load and you use a condom you do not have to disclose your HIV status.
The fact that the men were not infected it seems to me a waste of time taking the case to court.
A warning would have been sufficient.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 08:57:08 am »

\

Weasel, that DOES offend.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 09:53:50 am »

Weasel, that DOES offend.

It absolutely DOES offend, Weasel. Where do you get off judging this woman, calling her a whore, all the while totally IGNORING the fact that three grown men showed absolutely NO REGARD in protecting their own health by wearing condoms? How many other women are they having sex with without bothering to use condoms? But no, it's always the woman who gets labelled as a whore, never the man.

It's bad enough when hiv negative people demonise us, but it's far, far worse when hiv positive demonise each other as well. And we wonder why we still face so much stigma and discrimination.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline 1in1000000

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 09:54:49 am »
This case examples oblique intent.

It is like shooting from a gun in direction of a crowd, hoping you are skilled enough not to hurt anyone.
 Someone might hurt.

From the other hand, someone who have sex without condom and don't know their HIV status puts another person at risk.
So jail for both. :-)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:03:02 am by 1in1000000 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 10:20:16 am »
This case examples oblique intent.

It is like shooting from a gun in direction of a crowd, hoping you are skilled enough not to hurt anyone.
 Someone might hurt.

Gun analogies always fall down when using them in the context of hiv.

This woman had an undetectable viral load. If you want to continue with your inappropriate gun analogy, then she was pointing an UNLOADED gun. Maybe something that could cause panic, but death? Serious injury? Give me a break.

1in1000000, you were asked in another thread whether or not you've actually been confirmed as hiv positive. I would appreciate an answer.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline weasel

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 10:42:13 am »

To those whom are offended by the term Whore .

As  a  Queer man   , the term Whore  is either a man or a woman in our world .

I stand by what I said !   

People need to tell their sex partners they have HIV / AIDS   as the case my be .

It is not worth the one in a million chance , as most of know  !

So  I will say  again , I do not care if you are un-detectable   TELL THE OTHER PERSON !

Weasel

P.s.  : Consider  my Rant as my Rant and move on  .....................

" Live and let Live "

Offline buginme2

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 05:12:45 pm »
Wow

Just wow

Maybe we should just have her wear a scarlet letter? 

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline james3000

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 06:27:12 pm »
Nowhere in the article does it say she was a sex worker.

Lets stick to scientific facts the Swiss study was very clear.

Anne is correct as usual :)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 07:22:44 pm »
Weasel, I highly suggest that you consider moving your rants to your own thread before I incur another time-out because of your judgmental and unhelpful words.

If another person would like to frame this person's invective in a less confrontational way, then we could even have yet another tiresome discussion about disclosure and the law.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 07:50:47 pm »

I got to say I was rather impressed with the author of the article.   Someone who actually knows the facts regarding HIV.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 09:04:17 pm »

I got to say I was rather impressed with the author of the article.   Someone who actually knows the facts regarding HIV.

I agree. The article itself was very good, even if it did seem to go over the heads of a member or two here.

But the comments section is dripping in ignorance, with a only a smattering of people who have a 21st century understanding of hiv. It's frightening and shows how much work still needs to be done.

I highly recommend that people check out the Sero Project*. They're fighting against hiv criminalisation - and it's in all our best interests to join their fight.

Aside from possible personal ramifications of being criminalised, it's important to know that criminalisation discourages people from testing, which leads to more new infections. It's a bad, damaging phenomenon regardless from what perspective you look at it.

(Warning - a video starts automatically when you click on the Sero Project hompage. If you're in a location where having this video audible to others would be a bad idea, you can either stop the video or mute your speaker(s) before it gets a chance to load enough to start.)

But other than that, it's an excellent website.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline weasel

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 09:11:53 pm »

I am sorry I did offend people with my views !

I do not want to be alienated  for believing   all  HIV / AIDS

people     should  tell before sex !   

Weasel

Edited to say :  I'm sorry to have offended others beliefs  .   
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 09:29:47 pm by weasel »
" Live and let Live "

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 09:22:38 pm »
Hi Carl , Im not piling on so do not mistake my intention but you are being insensitive .

You have offended some members and then told them to get over it . Its possible to hold your opinions and still regret that your way of expressing those opinions have brought pain to others . Just something to think about .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline rayman11

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 01:32:19 am »
Please respect others regardless of their views.
I am not suppose to post anywhere out side "some i car who has HIV or am I infected".
I respected those rules. but I can stop myself writing on this post.

I have been  sexually active my whole adult life. I would go unprotected with my partner once I  feel trustful in them. Recently I met sex partner. She is HIV+. She told me before hand. I was shocked as I barely came in line STDs issues. Then I educate myself and we are having protected sex, even we use barrier during oral sex(for both of use safety for any STD). She is really kind woman. She was infect by some guy from Africa came here on holiday. he deliberately took of condom during sex and flew back after infecting few woman with virus. from her I learn about get tested regularly and practicing safe sex even in relationship.
Regardless of her being undetectable or healthy, it definitely not worth 1 in million shots for me to get HIV and being burden on healthcare system or people around me.

here in Australia, as according to law. a person mention to tell people about their HIV+ status if he/she are going to have UNPROTECTED SEX with anyone.
I know their has been some case where some individuals such as Nick Rhoades are being subject to law indiscriminately. I am definitely against it.

However,a logged disclose before sex is not only good for other person. but it protect  an individual legally as well as from any other std that other person might have. It is not fare to  play around with your own and others health, just for the fear of rejection.

I was all for HIV+ people for help, education, donation, anything I could do. But after seeing though and directions of you leaders of only HIV forum in the world about oral sex and disclose etc. I believe I should move on living healthy. I think this cycle never gonna stop.

I don't care if you guy delete my comment or account or put me on watch etc.

Also remember you guy have created open forum. anyone can read.
Ray

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 01:44:17 am »
I am aware than anyone can read these forums. This is why I post what I do.

I will reply to you, as my mod talents do not apply in this forum and this post might have several hours of life before it is dealt with.

Not because of your opinons (which you could have stated in the forum in which you are welcome to post) but because you ignored our rules and have posted in an inappropriate forum.

HIV criminalization laws are evil. They perpetuate stigma, discourafe testing, and create more infections than they can ever hope to "prevent."

You don't understand this. I know. And likely neither does your wife.

But you know what's awful? I was an "innocent victim" as well. Lied to, deceived, and at the end of the road, left alone with a disease that, in 1993, was likely to kill me.

And yet I am still against criminalization. I would never have filed charges against the guy who infected me. Because no matter what HE did, I was the one who CHOSE to have sex. To trust.

So I encountered a sociopath. As, apparently, did your wife.

Thing is, do we cause visceral hurt to a whole group of people with a disease because of a statistical anomaly? Do we allow our need for justice/vengeance overtake our desire for a better world?

If I had taken action against my partner at the time, not only would I be a victim and not at all on control of my choices - but I would be effectively taking off the condoms of everyone who got infected because people, afraid of prosecution, decided not to test at all.

*Modified to add:

For someone who is aware of the posting guidelines, why are ALL THREE of your posts in LIVING WITH and JUST INFECTED, despite having registered in April and NEVER posting in SOMEONE I CARE ABOUT?

I am calling bullshit on you.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:51:33 am by jkinatl2 »

Welcome Thread

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 01:45:23 am »
Not gonna modify.

You mentioned specifically oral sex in your post. Want to start a thread about that? Or post about it in a thread you are allowed to post? I am fascinated that you called me/u out on that as well.

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 05:07:13 am »

I don't care if you guy delete my comment or account or put me on watch etc.

You've been warned previously about posting where you're not supposed to post.

You are now permanently banned for your blatant disregard of our posting rules.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.