Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:22:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 343
Total: 345

Author Topic: DID I INFECT MY PARTNER  (Read 5427 times)

Offline mich2000

• Standard
DID I INFECT MY PARTNER
« on: August 03, 2019, 04:31:34 pm »
I recently just tested poz for hiv few days before accidentally engaging in unprotected vaginal sex with my boyfriend over the weekend (friday - sunday). However my viral load is considerably low( 1080). He does plan on getting tested however he is circumcised. What are the chances of him getting infected ! pls freaking out!

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: DID I INFECT MY PARTNER
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 06:27:59 pm »
Hiya,

Firstly I'm sorry to hear that you recently tested positive. Now I've moved this thread from "Am I infected" to the "How can I prevent HIV" section and, ill ask you to keep posting any questions or concerns you have about your BF & transmission here.

On a different topic, overall the forum is more than just risk assessments, it's about peer support. So as you are new to the forum, perhaps you can open an introduction thread in the "I Just tested positive" section, this way you can introduce yourself to the other members and gain any support wanted with regards to the other aspects of living with HIV. I know introducing yourself can be daunting at first but perhaps you can answer some basics in your first thread such as; "How you are getting on? What treatment are you taking, how is that going? What your labs are like etc"

For the future coming back to transmission, if you have started treatment then what you and your BF need to know that a person living with HIV (PLHIV), who is on Antiretroviral Therapy (ART) and has achieved an undetectable viral load* in their blood for at least 6 months, can not sexually transmit HIV.  https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=71864.0

This is also known as Undetectable = Untransmittable (U=U)

Okay now regarding your BF.

Look for the insertive partner it would be less risky than being the receiving partner as an example although still a risk and, your BF should test with an approved HIV antibodies test at 6 weeks post the last potential exposure for a result, this result will rarely ever change and, testing past this time is generally not needed, although if your BF wishes he could confirm the result for peace of mind at 3 months post last potential exposure for a conclusive negative.

Here's what your BF generally (for now) needs to know in order to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider starting PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection going forward

Also keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 06:41:20 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline mich2000

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 06:50:29 pm »
would the chances of my infecting him be reduced by the fact my viral load wasnt high?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 07:15:47 pm »
Hiya,

Look to my knowledge the lowest ever recorded threshold of sexual transmission was in early 2000 at a suspected viral load of 362 copies/ml, the individual was not on ART (HIV meds)

Generally speaking though, the lower the VL the lower the risk, although as you are not on treatment, the VL is above 200 copies/ml so your BF should test to confirm his HIV status as mentioned in my first reply.

All in all, the odds regardless of VL are very much against transmission to have occurred, just get him to test to confirm this.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.