Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 12:20:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 177
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 161
Total: 162

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

How many cases of Lymphoma are you aware of that surfaced after HAART was commenced?

none
6 (50%)
1-5(including self)
4 (33.3%)
6-10
1 (8.3%)
11+
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: HAART-related Lymphoma  (Read 14636 times)

Offline sierrarancher

HAART-related Lymphoma
« on: April 22, 2007, 05:58:56 pm »
I am a survivor of lymphoma (1998) and have knowledge of one other HIV+ person who survived, one that is still battling it and one that died.  In Dec 2006 POZ.com published the following study regarding a connection between HAART and lymphoma:
https://www.poz.com/article/HAART-Tied-to-Hodgkin-s-Lymphoma-11059-3304

I began HAART in 1997:  Crixivan (PI), Zerit (nuke) & Epivir(nuke).  I had resisted HAART because I was asymptomatic, except one case of shingles.  I don't recall my viral load (which test at that time was new) as being the reason for beginning HAART.  In January 1998 I began symptoms of lymphoma, which unfortunately was located internally (in the heart/lung region) and could not be detected manually.  After 2 spinal taps, which showed no lymphoma, an MRI of my chest showed the nodules.  They were biopsied and determined to be Stage IIB Hodgkins disease.  I began chemo in June 1998.

I developed pneumocystis and KS (on my lungs) during the chemo, which had to be terminated after half the cycles were completed.  I did the full course of radiation and completed it by Dec 1998.  I have not had a recurrence since--YAY!!

While there is a lot of discussion of lipids and lipodystophy as being "Metabolic Complications" of HAART, I haven't heard much on Lymphoma or other cancers, except for the study published in Blood.  I decided to put this poll out there to us LTS, as we have more experience over the years, especially since the advent of HAART.

I am wondering:

1.  If HAART must be modified depending on the amount of time a person has been infected (and/or re-infected).  In other words, should HAART be administered gradually for those with 'long-term' HIV infection?  Should any of the HAART meds be started gradually?

2.  Are any meds (in my case Crixivan, Epivir & Zerit) carcinogenic in some populations of HIV+ persons, especially LTS and non-progressors.  This would be good to know for LTS persons, as they switch drugs due to resistance.

3.  What role does Epstein Barr Virus play?  It was part of my pathology report determining that I had Hodgkins disease and not non-Hodgkins.

If you know of any more studies on this topic, I would be very interested in reading them.  I am also interested in any comments whatsoever.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:14:27 pm by iana5252 »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: HAART-related Lymphoma
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 11:16:22 am »
Hi Sierra,

As it happens, I am on a very similar regimen to yours, except I take AZT rather than Zerit.

To answer your question: "Should any of the HAART meds be started gradually?" the answer is no.
Gradually starting any of the HAART meds raises the risk of resistance to that drug.

In other words, you cannot start off slowly. It is all or none, simply because of the nature of this bug we are living with.

Regarding any of the meds being carcinogenic, I have never heard of them being specifically carcinogenic. But then again, most of these combos are just a decade or so old, so who knows?

This was the trade off we made when we pushed to have HIV meds pushed quickly through for approval. On the one hand, many would be dead today, including myself most likely, if they hadn't come up with the cocktails in late 1995, early 1996.

On the other hand, we are in essence the guinea pigs as far as long-term side effects go.

I have known one person who developed non-Hodgkins lymphoma, the most common seen in hi-fivers. He underwent some brutal chemotherapy, but did not survive.

I think you raise a valid question, but I don't know if anyone has the answer.

HUGS,

Mark.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 04:52:27 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline sierrarancher

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 12:35:56 pm »
Hi Az,

Thanks for your response.  For my own case, I am extremely cautious of changing to a cocktail which could boost my CD4 count from around 200, where it has been hovering, to say 1000.  While most would say, 'oh my god, you've reconstituted your immune system'.  I have a history of lymphoma.  Therefore, I may (or may not) still have the Reed-Sternberg cells, Epsteiv-Barr virus combination (or whatever goes into the mix), which could go 'wild' again. 

If my understanding is right, (I'm an accountant,not a biochemist), when my immune system was reconstituted back in 1997, it MAY HAVE also sparked the growth of malignant lymphoma.  In my case, that spark turned into a full-fledged case of lymphoma, which almost killed me.  I must assume that I still have Reed Sternberg cells & EBV which are being held at bay by my little squadron of CD4s, since I have been in remission since 1998.

I guess my main point is I would llke to see more information on the mechanism of lymphoma as it relates to a suddenly reconstituted CD4 system.  The article published last December concerns me a great deal.

Offline SASA39

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 01:24:04 pm »
As a newbee just to sneak and whisper:
HAART is toxic and could cause cancer because that drug regimee disturb a healthy & natural living circle of cell ( Creb`s ) and therefore produce a free radicals who in a chain reaction produce a new free radicals......The damages on a RNK DNK are random and if you are lucky enough , or have a strong genes  , so to speak , you will not catch a .......
                         Sneaking out
                                                 Al
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Offline SASA39

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 02:05:53 pm »
Got my leg stucked at the door : ( trying to sneak out)
Quote:The study showed that before the introduction of HAART, the incidence of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in HIV-infected patients increased from 8.24 per 1,000 patient-years during the years 1983 to 1986 to 14.83 per 1,000 patient-years during 1991 to 1994. After the introduction of HAART, the trend reversed, with the incidence dropping to 3.7 per 1,000 patient-years in 1999 to 2002, Dr. Wolf said. “This was very significant, and shows the impact that highly active anti-retroviral drugs have made on this malignancy.”
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/483540
"This study confirms the favorable impact of HAART on the risk of occurrence of NHL," write the investigators, "but also confirms that a minimum duration of six months of HAART is required to prevent NHL. It also suggests HIV RNA level as a possible risk factor for AIDS-related NHL in the era of HAART, independent of immunodeficiency."
http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/E1E7AD36-45DB-419C-BDF9-A9C84CB13C2B.asp
http://www.ti.ch/dss/DSP/ISTCP/RCT/pdf_ppt/Relazioni_e_Poster/2005/Lugano_HAART.pdf
Combined CHOP and HAART therapy improves AIDS-related lymphoma outcome
http://www.xagena.it/news/medicinenews_net_news/e634932bdcf89870094f7e681a87dd97.html
No Hodgkin Lymphoma in the era of HAART.
http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/MeetingAbstracts/102253320.html
sneaking, sneaking.....................Al
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.

Offline SASA39

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 02:17:02 pm »
Oh ,s***  ;D not again
About Adult Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
http://www.cityofhope.org/ccc/db/cancer.asp?c=CDR0000062958
I know , I know.................gone(eeeeeeeeeeeeee)
                           AL

25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :

Offline SASA39

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 02:35:10 pm »
Treatment of AIDS Lymphoma (AIDS-NHL)
http://www.thebody.com/content/art15320.html
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :

Offline SASA39

25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 04:51:59 pm »
SASA,

You know you're not supposed to be posting over here, so why do it? Please respect the guidelines of this forum and stop posting here.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline sierrarancher

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 05:11:06 pm »
Dear Ann,

With all due respect, SASA has provided some very useful links.  As an LTS, I am in a position where lymphoma and other cancers pose a tremendous threat.  This particalar 'metabolic affect' of HAART has only begun to be addressed. 

Perhaps the 'guidelines' should include postings by those who simply want to provide valuable information, such as SASA has done.  I believe he has done it only in the spirit of helping us LTS.  His posts are not spam or a newbie coming to grips with recent news of infection.

As a result of his posts, I have contacted two healthcare providers for additional information and follow-up care.

Maybe we need to think 'outside the box' a bit here. :)

Thanks so much,

Karim

Offline terrence

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 12:07:28 pm »
 Hi all, I'm new to the AIDSMEDS forums and looked at the Lymphoma and I went thru chemo once 1999 and went on diffrent combos and my t-cells went to 548 undetectable but they took a dip to 464 and a  small bump in VL and I've had pains in gut and liver area and I made them take x-ray of heart ( I also had heart attacks) and they are sending me for cat scan to explore lymphoma and I'm warried I might have a recurrence. Well I'll look at the other web sites listed before me and hope for the best. By the way I'm so glad to have come to this and going to try to make AMG in S.F. Thanks!
 Terrence

Offline sierrarancher

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 12:50:09 pm »
Terrence,  if, god forbid, you or anyone else may be facing non-Hodgkins lymphoma, there is a new treatment called RadioImmnotherapy.  The doctors will not give it to you as a first treatment, but given we are HIV+, if I were diagnosed with NHL, I would insist on RadioImmunotherapy as the first line treatment.  The only reason it is not approved as first line treatment, is that the oncologists and radiologists don't want to 'lose the business' to nuclear medicine.  Sad, but true. 

Best of luck and I hope you are well.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 03:57:34 pm »
sierrarancher, if you would like to go into the "Living With Forum" and ask your question that would be fine. This forum is limited to people that have had HIV/AIDS for years. This forum is not for the newly infected. 

Offline Grinch

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 02:18:23 pm »
My Oncologist informed me that Burkitts (NHL) is now considered an AIDS related illness. So much so that when I was diagnosed with Burkitts I was informed "You are likely HIV+ as well" and of course I found out a few days later I was.
 I wonder how many NHL cases are as a result of very low CD4 vs complications from HAART.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.